[Chapter 2-No Lands End] Finding the Path of Dreams [PM to Join]

Thrylos

BlackHoof stared at the table for a while, wondering if it would be to rude to go off somewhere and sleep, he didn't like to get into all this buisness about rebels and such, all he wanted to do was find a place were he could stay comfortably until he found a place he could truly call home

" Can I go now? If you haven't noticed i'm not as 'old' as most ponies around here are, so if you honestly think i'm spy than that means you're not the sharpest tool in the shed now don't it, so, if you're done wasting my time i'm going to find a nice place to sleep, oh and the whole scare everyone tactic doesn't work in most cases considering me and the others have seen far worse than an ill mannered griffin who should know better than to question someone so small about trying to spy on them!"

And with that he walked out of the tent and did exactly as he said he would, he slept.

Dunder's heart skipped a beat at sheer surprise when he saw Amy. That mare hadn't learned to not get herself into trouble yet... how he missed her. The memories of Giza and her and himself were all flooding back. He wants to hug her, he forgot why they had stopped talking.. that was too long ago and it might have been sad... Dunder couldn't remember.

He was kind of surprised when she ran up and kissed his cheeks. She had looked like she was getting older. He smiled at her, hugged her back tightly, and kissed her on the nose.

"It's been too long." He said as he hugged her tight. He just happened to come here, just happened to follow that one zebra to this one tent that happened to hold one of his friends. He was happy beyond belief. He soon took a seat though.

"You need to tell me what you have been up to. I've missed you!" He said with a big smile.

"Well, I went from blacksmith recruit to councilor of the New Equestrian forces, so it has not been terrible. But the stress!"

As if on que, three earth ponies walked into the tent (Did anypony know what privacy was?) and simply asked her to follow them. She followed and motioned for Dunder to follow, she wasn't planning on allowing her job to stop their catching up.

My last day on the job, yeah right! Amy thought bitterly.

General Hurricane, Councilor Redwing, and Councilor Diamondeyes were surrounded by guards and staring at one pegasus pony in the center of the room. He was battle damaged, but it didn't look serious. His sword looked familiar, but she left that memory behind and concentrated on what he was saying. He spoke with total authority to no pony and everypony, apologizing for his failure at Cloudsdale, which led into him telling of Storm Dragon's attack and their pet wolf's sacrifice. For some reason, it never clicked until after he spoke of the wolf.

"He is the traitor of Cloudsdale!" Amy yell-whispered to Dunder, who stood next to her. Obviously others heard her, but luckily most ignored the quiet outburst.

The traitor of Cloudsdale, the one that let it fall just for money, was standing right in front of her. It would have been a simple thing to unsheathe her blade and rush him. Sadly, though, Amy knew a fight with one of the best swords in Cloudsdale, however surprised, would end badly for the attacker. Instead she chose to take her seat and release her anger through words.

"So let me get this straight," She started, obviously startling Redwing and Diamondeyes, who had just seemed to take note of her presence. "At the cost of our military might in Cloudsdale, you managed to escape with your tail between your legs and met four others on the road here, one of which was a wolf, one of the very animals that hunts ponies for food. One morning you lost one of your group, and by midnight this same wolf, killer of ponies, was willing to sacrifice himself JUST SO YOU COULD LIVE?" She laughed at it all bitterly, memories of her friendship with Dunder in the back of her mind. "How do we know that you didn't just meet two earth ponies of the road, made up this tale with them, and then came back here to betray us again? I had friends in the army at Cloudsdale, and Redwing had a family! How do you explain leaving them all to die, huh? ANSWER ME!" She was yelling by then, but she didn't care, the traitor deserved it and so much more.

Crescent was infuriated his eyes burned with the hatred of every lie told and spread about his defeat. He had heard the rumors, traitor, conspirator, turncoat. All of them lies and propaganda spread by storm dragon himself to break up the rebellion. They had started before cloudsda.e had even fallen to Storm Dragon, whispers in the barracks of secretly acquiring funds from imperial supporters. Nothing could have been farther from the truth. The lies had worried him at first, he didnt think any one would truly belief them with how he left everything on the battlefield. When soldiers began confronting him directly he was insulted. How dare they! how dare they accuse him of being a traitor, he who risked his life everyday along side his soldiers, he who sacrificed larger rations and housing so that his soldiers might see him as an equal. It was unbelievable and now the false tales of his deceit had reached the rest of the rebellion. Crescent had had enough of this. He lost it.

"I HAVE HAD ENOUGH!"

He drew his sword faster than the blink of an eye and thrust it through the table with all his might.

"All of you listen and listen well I will not be repeating myself"

He spoke at a fevered pace and will a high intensity.

"Look at that sword. This blade, Night Fire, the sword of my ancestors has seen more blood than most ponies have seen meals. From MY HOOVES it has tasted the blood of countless imperials. Hundreds have seen me fight and each of you know the stories of valor and courage that flooded the rebellion after my first days in battle. This sword this bloodstained sword is PROOF of my allegiance."

His tone darkened and his words slowed and he looked directly into the one who had accused him.

"The piles of burning bodies and the souls that once inhabited them will speak on my behalf."

'

He returned his attention to the rest of the council he slammed his hoof on the table and ripped his sword out leaving a sizable gash in the sheet metal, he threw the hilt down leaving a dent now with his next exclamation.

"Now YOU answer ME! With all the proof to the contrary what has swayed you so far as to accuse me of turning on you!? I fought to the last until all my men had fled me. I did not leave until I stood alone on the battlefield and barely escaped with my life. I left in search of refuge and in hoped that I could warn you all so that you might be prepared for the full bulk of Storm Dragon's army. These fine ponies and Wilden the wolf who in all his righteousness GAVE HIS LIFE for us to reach you, and Scout who was lost to Storm Dragons clutches were lost souls that I intended to help reach this camp and find safety. If you doubt my story then speak with the ones who made it here with me. If that isnt enough then perhaps you would like to back track with me to where I last saw Storm Dragon. I'm sure he and his hell creatures wont be waiting for you. You were the last ponies I expected to fall to the propaganda of the empire."

He breathed heavily as he finished his rant. He looked each council member in the eyes in turn as he sheathed his sword, he left his gaze to rest on Iron hooves.

"You were no the only ponies to lose everything in Cloudsdale, it was home to everything I held dear My home. My family. All of it destroyed, gone, sucked into the Hurricane that is Storm Dragon's tyranny."

"Call me a traitor again..."

BlackHoof awoke with the sound of an enraged voice. He quickly picked up his head and looked out to were he had heard the booming voice. It had sounded like pro but, this was angrier than he'd ever heard from him since they met. He picked himself off the grass and trotted over to the tent and listened from outside wondering how this was going to go down, as a safety measure he pulled out his knife from it's leather case and held it in his hoof as he remained on edge, if any one of them attacked the one who had saved him from certain death, they'd have to go through both of them!

Dunder couldn't believe the audacity of this pony.... He yelled at Iron Hooves and other than that, he just seemed like he wanted to toot his own horn. He didn't seem like a soldier, and instead like a colt on a temper tantrum. Of course, Dunder didn't know the whole picture, but all he did know was that he needed to at least help defend his friend.

He stepped forward, in front of Ironhooves and in front of Crescent. He had his back turned to Ironhooves. "You..." Dunder said in a grave tone, "Don't talk to Ironhooves like that. And you especially shouldn't bust out in rage, rage leads to more..and more... and more..." He said to the purple stallion. "And don't go on about how you are so great and why your sword is so powerful. I'm sure we can find reason in your head somewhere." He said and prepared for whatever Crescent had to throw at him.

Crescent sized up this unknown pony. He breathed through clenched jaws, Listening to him defend the slanderer. No doubt this Iron Hooves was of high esteem, else she would not be on the council. However Crescent had not intended to boast only prove her wrong, he had meant no disrespect only meaning to restore his own, his tone merely reflecting his frustration. This one however was clearly not of the council, Crescent would have heard word of his appointment, which made Crescent his superior, the penalty for subordination was high, 30 lashes. Harsh yes but required to keep the line of command where it aught to be. Crescent however did not want to punish this pony on a first offense, he realized to an uninformed pony his outburst may have seemed very out of placed, the other he hoped would better understand his plight. He turned and stood eye to eye with the stallion that had approached him a cold look in the eye.

"I do not boast comrade. I speak of death as proof of my allegiance and that alone. The the truth is that the death of an enemy in battle is no different than killing your neighbor, a murderous crime. I carry the weight of countless murders, it is out of shame, not pride, that I carry this weight for all to see. My sword burns against my side with the guilt of those deaths. I dont like what I do, I dont want to do it, but I perform my duties to the rebellion under the oath I made. Do not mistake me for a common boaster. Please take your seat soldier, I meant no disrespect to Coucilmare IronHooves."

He turned back to the council.

"However this stallion is right. Despite the falsity of Councilmare IronHoove's accusations I should not have lost my temper. I've just been frustrated with the unending stream of ponies calling me something I know I am not. General Hurricane, you know me, you knew my father, and you knew my family, please tell me you havent fallen victim to Storm Dragon's meddling as well. If it is not beyond your trust...I request to be reappointed as your second under the circumstance of losing my post in Cloudsdale."

Crescent looked around again confidently. He would not allow them to think him a traitor, not anymore, and he would not allow himself to appear weak. He removed his sword and placed it gently upon the table as a sign of trust. Not that he couldnt have taken out every guard in the room with his bare hooves alone, but he hoped the message was clear.

Amy stared into the traitor's eyes for several seconds before looking away. In them was the one thing Amy didn't want to see: honesty. He wasn't lying.

"I apologize, tra- Crescent." She started, remembering his name from when she was first told of Cloudsdale. "Like you, I let my temper control me, and I am ashamed. I drop everything I said, and Dunder, it was honorable of you to stick up for me, but please stand down." She truly was ashamed, falling for those rumors was a stupid thing to do. She was still angry, but her time with Diamondeyes had taught her how to control her voice. She decided to change the subject to the much more dire news Crescent gave them. "Storm Dragon's armies could be marching upon us as we speak, and we must be gone from here by then."

She walked toward the map propped up on a small table on the right side of the tent. She pointed a hoof at Las Pegasus, and another at Fillydelphia. "We need to attack both of these cities immediately and simultaneously, and if the element of surprise stays with us, we could be able to take Hoffington, Baltimare, and Manehattan within a matter of weeks as well. If everything works out, we would have a direct path to the eastern provinces and, later on, the north. At the very least we would control the south and much of their food and entertainment centers. We have the troops, and with luck underground groups would join in during sieges, all we need are leaders."

She walked to Crescent, well aware of what she was about to do. "Redwing, Dunder, and Crescent will attack Las Pegasus with as many fliers as we can muster, and the rest of the army will march on Fillydelphia." She glanced around the tent, everyone but General Hurricane looked shocked (Diamondeyes was mos likely feigning) at the plan a simple blacksmith put together. "All I need is a green light."

Runner had been staring blankly into space reflecting on the recent events when he heard Crescent's rant from the inquisition tent. He turned back to Zeke.

"So, I take it you're gonna ask me some questions, right? Well before you do that I've got a few of my own. Who is that guy, what's his story. I caught bits and pieces of that rant of his; all I heard was something about Cloudsdale and Storm Dragon."

Realizing the hot-tempered griffon was about to get angry, Runner mentally prepared himself for the verbal assault and sat down opposite of the griffon.

Draco had been watching the scene as he had been drawn from the zebras side by the commotion and heard the plan Miss Ironhooves had put together despite his new appointment to the Zebra he was a able-bodied flyer and he felt it his duty to the cause to offer himself.

"Miss Ironhooves i know what you told me to do but i feel i must offer my wings to the cause and help you." he stated quietly

Crescent nodded the plan was admirably well thought out but there were crucial details that had been overlooked. He stepped forward to address the council again

"Your strategy is impressive councilmare but there is one issue. Moving so quickly we risk spreading ourselves far too thin. With the size of our forces now we wouldnt be able to hold such a large territory from the empire. At most I would say we work in the same direction as you have recomended to create a large scale pincer movement. I believe we can hold this position against Storm Dragon for now. He will attack next from Las Pegasus he has no where else to come from. We can use this predictability against him. after his next assault he wont expect us to relocate any of our forces. So under this assumption we split our forces after the battle. I will lead the forces south to take half the forces south to fillydelphia and use the distance from the rest of the empire to build our forces until we are ready to split off again. We continue the march on to take manehatten baltimare and hoofington building our army at each location. As we go Storm's forces will be more spread in an attemp to fortify Cloudsdale las pegasus and Canterlot. It will be too late once we control the south however. Once under our control we move in on the heartland from all sides forcing the empirial forces north until there is nowhere to flee."

He pause to allow them to process his alteration of IronHooves' strategy.

"From what I've seen lately Strom has taken a more active role in the recent battles. If all goes well, on our next defensive battle we may have the opportunity to kill him. If we are successful than taking the rest of the empire in this fashion should prove far more feasible."

"Wait, wait , wait..." Dunder said when Irnhooves mentioned his name. "Do I get to lead my own unit?" Dunder asked. He was excited, the thought of leading his own ponies into battle wasn't such a bad idea. Although, he wasn't even a member of this army, he had snuck in. "Anything you give me, I can lead." Dunder said to Irnhooves and nuzzled her neck happily.

He looked down at the plans. Both of their plans seemed sound, but he had an idea of his own. "I say, we move the bulk of the army down the coast, when their armies react, we could have the rest of the army attack the weak cities because they moved out troops to attack our main army." Dunder suggested. It may not be the best, but it was an idea still.

"Agreed. With the majority of Storm Dragon's forces following ours we could take Las Pegasus and be that much closer to taking the Capitol"

Crescent picked up his sword and sheathed it once again. He strode calmly around to take his seat next to General Hurricane and awaited approval of the rest of the council. He wondered whether the council was as dysfunctional as ever or if it these ponies had finally worked out their egos.

((OOC: Hi, guys. Thrylos here! Sorry about my absence...I'll probably be a little gone for some time...my parents have officially sold our house, and I am moving out in a month. While I'm having trouble with my life changing, I would like for Crescent to take over. Do well, bro. *brohoof*

Some things...Crescent, Nexi's plan for Draco is to train him secretly beyond the mountains. The changeling dragon thing is there, and my thought is that one of the council members is the changeling dragon, and is both gathering info and trying to push them into a war they can't win...other then that...see you in a month and two weeks... :sniff::wail: ))

Alright guys gimme some time to get a better feel for everything and be right back with a nice big post to get my feet wet DMing here. just a lot to take in right away. dont worry It should only take a little while not even a day in fact it will be up tomorrow morning at the latest - Your friendly neighborhood Crescent Blaze :) ))

Red wing was the first to speak.

"I Disagree. We need to move immediately to a more defensible position. We cant base our plans on an assumption that Strom Dragon will follow the base of Our troops to the south."

"Ah but we can Storm Dragon however skilled, is still young and has little experience in the ways of warfare outside the realm of politics. He will follow."

General Hurricane was looking intently at the table seemingly lost in thought. Diamondeyes was the next to speak.

"And what are we to do if this rouse fails, what is our back up plan?"

Crescent not having been the original composer of the plan hadnt had time to think up a plan B, he looked to IronHooves to answer the new Question

Nexi listened to the voices around her in the tent and examined them with her enhanced hearing. She was able to pick up in the slightest details of the sounds around her and identify voices better than anyone. She sat there silently with Draco, politics was a subject she had grown weary of but something held her their she had a feeling something was ary as if something in the air was off ever so slightly almost a ghost of a scent who's source alluded her for the moment.

****** meanwhile back at the inquisition tent...

Zeke was getting frustrated never had he been given so much trouble just trying to question newcomers. As the colt stepped outside the tent he spoke up.

"Guards! get the kid back in here."

At his command the two guards who Hunter had fallen asleep btween lifted him by his hooves and sat him down in the chair staying on either side of him to ensure he stayed put this time.

"Now why dont we start smel eh? What is your name?"

He spoke deliberately and calmly trying to get the adolescent pony to trust him.

" ... " BlackHoof didn't say a word, and why should he? All he wanted to do was stay at his friends sids, and this griffin had no authority for him anyways! He wasn't part of this so called ' rebellion ' and neither was he part of the imperials! He just wanted to do was find a place to relax for once in his life!!!

" Let me ask you a question huh, whats you're intention if I am this, alleged ' spy' huh, you gunna kill a kid? GO ahead i'm right here, but i'm not awnsering you're question buddy. "

The young colt stared into the griffins eyes unflinchingly, he knew any sight of weakness would set the 'bird' off,

Zeke was not amused but he did not let his frustration show. this colt didnt know how things went so he thought it best to explain it to him.

"Look kid let me tell you something. I dont want to but I will do what I have to to keep the rebellion safe from spies. Besides I've "dealt with" infiltrators half your age, dont think I would hesitate to lock you up and start a REAL interogation if you dont cooperate. Now we can do this easily and you cant just tell us what we need to know which is just some basic information, or I can have these brutes beat it out of you. I dont want to do it. Its the last thing I want believe me, but my talons are tied if you dont comply."

The Griffin looked at the colt still keeping a calm and welcome composure throughout the speech. He really didnt want any harm to come to this child but if he didnt cooperate it was out of his control. Inside he pleaded the colt wouldnt continue to cause trouble.

BlackHoof tipped in his chair, seeing how long it would take before the bird tweaked. " Look, Zeel was it? ( yes I used wrong name on purpose! :P ) I've seen this dude that you're so afraid of, on a MONSTER and you know how long ago that was? a few hours tops, If you think that you scare me you have another thing coming. Look if you want to know my name sooo bad, it's BlackHoof. Thats all you're getting."

Amy matched Crescent's gaze for a moment, then turned to the other councilors, suddenly realizing that Longbeard was missing from the meeting. His elderly wisdom might be needed for the planning, so she sent her escort (excluding Dunder) to find him.

They were still staring at her, but she had no ideas that didn't include requesting the aid of the two neutral species for the war. The likeliness of the diplomats evading Storm Dragon's army would have been slim; convincing the Zebras and Griffons had even worse odds. There was one idea, though...

"My old plan still stands, but instead of simply marching on Manehattan after taking Las Pegasus and Fillydelphia, we send half of our forces on hoof (foot) to Bridleback Shore while sending the other half to Manehattan through the ships undoubtably docked in Fillydelphia. While all of this is going on, our fliers will go east while remaining just south of the Everfree Forest remains (The news of its destruction reached the rebels shortly after the last tree burned). Storm Dragon will engage our ground forces on Bridleback Shore, expecting us to be flanked by ships loyal to him. In truth I expect us to hold much of the sea and lure him into a false sense of security. When he finally realizes his second advantage is lost (his first being numbers), he will attempt to retreat, only to be cut off by our fliers." The plan sounded fairly brilliant for one that just shot out of her head.

Runner had noticed the griffon's ever rising temper. He had finally learned the colt's name as well.

"Well it's about time I set this kid straight"

He walked over to BlackHoof and put a hoof on his shoulder.

"Hey, listen to me. This griffon here, his name is Zeke, and he has a very important job. If it wasn't for him, we would likely all be dead from Storm Dragon's forces. Just show him some respect, treat him nicely, and he'll do the same for you. He just wants to keep everyone safe. So relax, answer his questions, it's not very hard. I know you can do it. Besides, you're strong for your age, you were there when Storm Dragon himself attacked us and lived. Not many ponies can say that. Stay strong, circumstances are going to force you to grow up fast. You can't keep the bratty attitude forever. You won't be doing it alone though. I'll be here the whole time."

Runner returned his attention back to Zeke.

"I for one can vouch that this colt is no spy. We met him in No Lands End, right around where Appleloosa once was, afterwards he travelled with us until we got here. The rest you know."

Runner really hoped that the griffon would calm down and be more lenient on the colt, allowing him to pass so that he himself could be questioned and leave.

In the war tent...

Nexi felt uneasy about the vibes she was getting she couldnt tell from who but the itch wouldnt leave her be. She leaned in to whisper to Crescent and Amy.

"Be on your guard someone or something is not as it seems."

Crescent nodded to her as she backed away to her corner of the tent. After listening to the slight alteration of strategy he had to disagree with Ironhooves.

"We cannot rely on a retreat for our plans to be successful. It may in all likelyhood take more than a few weeks to take each city. There is no telling how decisive our victories will be as we have no knowledge of the amount of forces Storm Dragon has stationed at each city, what we can safely assume is that the farther east we push through the south the stronger resistance we will encounter which is why we need to bolster our forces at each new ground we claim. I suggest we keep things simple until we know what we are dealing with."

General Hurricane who had for the entire conversation seemed lost in thought, taking in each and every detail and committing it to memory, now looked up to address the room.

"This plan of attack is bold and will require much effort on the part of our soldiers and commanders...but I see no other route as sensible as this. Admiral Redwing address the pegasi at once, Diamondeyes address the earth ponies and unicorns, battle-mages and healers alike. Admiral Blaze, Councilmare Iron hooves, and Advisor Nexilli you will stay, the rest of you ponies are dismissed."

(open to response)

in the inquisition tent...

Zeke was glad there was somepony who could talk some sense into this colt. However as much as he's love to believe him, if only out of desperation for this questioning to be over with, he still couldnt take the pony's word for it.

"I'm sorry but I cannot simply take your word for truth before questioning you. I wish I could I really do but its my job I dont have a choice. So if you want to stay here in a tent you must answer my questions, otherwise you can stay behind bars or back out in the wastes, your choice. Now, Blackhoof, where are you from?"