Name:

Snapshot

Sex:

Male

Old Colt/Young Stallion

Species:

Unicorn

Eye Color:

Seafoam (Slightly lighter than Mane and Tail)

Coat Color:

A medium gray.

Mane/Tail/Markings Color & Style:

A Blue Green mane and tail, cut in an unruley manner and barely combed in a part. He doesn’t have time nor feel the need to look tidy in the mornings.

Physique:

Rather thin, and average height, but sturdily built in the hind legs, due to having to stand on them to take a picture.

Cutie Mark:

A camera, gotten when he started his trip around equestria trying to capture the world on film.

Origin/Residence:

Born in Smallgrove, and is now traveling… everywhere. Any place he hasn’t been, he plans to go.

Occupation: Selling photos that he takes from around equestria. While it doesn’t do much in the way of payment, he considers his lack of luxury a small price to pay for the love of the job.

Motivation:

His biggest dream is to see the world, and he can’t do that while asleep. He also trys to sneak some pictures of the better looking mares at his current residence, and occasionaly gets caught, much to his own embarassment.

Travel, Pictures, Beautiful landscapes, and Color.

Dislikes:

Loud noises, Drab scenes, and Waiting.

Character Summary:

Born in a village named Smallgrove near what is now Appleloosa, Snapshot had just gotten used to the bleak, yellow landscape about him. He found this name incredibly ironic, as the only trees he saw growing around the area weren't exactly fit for harvest. His family had tried farming in the harsh conditions, but after his father broke his arm and got infected, Snapshot had to take over doing most of the work around the farm. During his free-time, though, he liked visiting the different places around town. One of his favorite places was the train station. He spent so much time there, watching the trains go in and out on a regular basis. He always wondered where they were coming from, and where they were headed.

As Snapshot walked down the side of the railroad, leading away from the town, he spotted a camera that somepony must’ve dropped out the side of the train. It was rather beaten up from being dropped a lot, and some of the buttons were jammed. He picked it up, and put it around his neck to bring home later. After taking a few shots, he went on his way back to his house, and set the camera on his bedstand, ready to use the next morning. Within the next week, he had become hooked on photography, and used quite a bit of money on film and supplies. Because of this new hobby, however, he found himself spending less time working on the farm as he should, and his family slowly started to lose money. His parents, who noticed the decline in work, called a family conference late one night. Pulling him into the kitchen, they sat him down and explained that he had to work on the farm, or leave and give the family one less mouth to feed. Sending him off to his room, they went to bed and shut off their light, leaving to his own thinking. After pondering the concequences, Snapshot came to a decision, packed a single bag, and headed for the train station near the center of town. Without enough money for a ticket, he set off along-side the tracks, knowing full well that he wouldn't be allowed to return to his home. Desert eventually turned to grass, and Snapshot found himself on the outskirts of Ponyville. He had never seen anything so green, and immediately used the rest of his film to take pictures of the newfound color. He was so happy at the time, he almost didn’t notice that a camera had appeared on his flank. Once he had taken the last possible picture, he took his photos and entered the town, determined to share his newfound love of the world with other ponies, and use his special talent for good.

As Snapshot set his photos out on a table, he placed a sign that said “Photos, 1 bit” at the front. He didn’t need too much money when he had this much joy. As the first customer walked up, he sat back and allowed the pony to choose (much to his surprise) one of the photos he had taken while in the desert, instead of the colorful, greener photos that he had enjoyed so much. He had assumed that they were just useless photos that no one would want, and passed the pony off as slightly messed up in the head. His opinion started to change, however, as more and more ponies started to pick up the photos he had taken earlier on the trip. Eventually he was down to one photo of the desert, while most of the ones around ponyville were still on the table in front of him. Picking up the last photo, Snapshot stared at the photo, trying to see what the ponies had seen that was so amazing about the dry landscape. As he stared, he realized that the picture wasn’t ugly at all. It was just different from his idea of beauty. As he looked at the picture, he realized that there was some good in his childhood home afterall, even if he didn’t see it.

Staying in ponyville, Snapshot broadened his horizon from landscape pictures to pictures of people as well. This provided a more steady source of income, as there were quite a few ponies who required this service. So with some money in hand, he went and bought a better camera, and more film.

As time progressed, he eventually lost his serious appearance, and replaced it with a more carefree personality. He saw the good and beauty in almost everything, even taking a picture of Granny Smith, which she bought later at his stand, thinking it was her long lost twin. Of course, he couldn’t stay in ponyville forever, so with his new camera, and all the necessary supplies, he packed up shop and moved around Equestria, doing the same thing in every town.

post-3592-0-01531800-1336602937_thumb.jp

Greetings, have a pretty good application here, I just want to point out a couple things that require some changes:

Born in Appleloosa, and is now traveling… everywhere. Any place he hasn’t been, he plans to go.

According to the show canon in Over A Barrel, at the time of season one, Appleoosa is only a year old as a town. It is fine to be born nearby or in another town and to currently have a residence in Appleoosa, just not born there.

His parents didn’t have time for him, so he grew up in a foster home where his guardians didn’t care about him and left him to his own devices. The only thing the two would do for him was blast an airhorn to wake him up in the morning, which scared him half to death each day. When the couple weren’t looking, he would sometimes draw caricatures of them, turning their already plump bellies into hulking masses of blubber on the page. Eventually, he gave up even trying to live there and ran away from the home, not knowing where to go, or what to do.

What would caused his parents to simply not "have time for him"? I suppose I am uncomfortable with this idea, partially because it doesn't add anything to the character other than to make him a runaway, and partially because it is just so darn cliche. Its an odd trend, everyone wants to make their character's parents neglectful, cruel, or dead; it makes Equestria pretty dysfunctional. It could be that he decided for a variety of reasons to leave such as to satisfy a wonderlust, to study other lands to write or photograph about, all kinds of reasons; I just feel the character would be better served by a more creative backstory. As an older colt, he could leave with the blessing of his family (and have a place to return to). It also give an opportunity to earn his cutie mark at a younger age (family trip or a school trip could serve as a plot hook for this, or simply exploring the not so well surveyed country around his home town).

Does he have any ambitions or plans with her photographic skills other than to simply take pictures to sell by the road? Its a good concept but it feels like to could lead to more.

xD Thank you! This is what I was looking for back when the app was still a WiP. Will consider, and change what needs to be changed.

While I will try to go into a bit more description of his family's troubles, I'm still keeping the foster home, to give the feel of not having a home to go back to. It provides a good reason for him to continue his exploration.

Reading the application it seems fine except for one major red flag area. This involving his parents, especially his mother. I understand the need to introduce drama and even pain into a character's backstory, however I feel that a drugged up, physically abusive, and outright lying mother in the world of Friendship Is Magic is a bit too much. I understand you want a reason for him to leave home (and possibly not look back) I just feel it can be done without making his mother the scum of the earth. Remember, just because one has parents doesn't mean one ever has to involve them in the RP.

There are other reasons that could be used to order for him feel the need to leave his rural small town. His family could be large and dirt poor as farmers and thus there is no opportunities for him on the farm or even the town, which is generally suffering from poverty and lack of opportunities. This be especially true if he found the camera and discovered his love of photography, but there is no avenues of opportunity in his home town to pursue his special talent (and his dreams, which mean traveling the world). Basically this forces him to leave (with or without the family blessing, there could be strain between him and his folks because they didn't want him to go). This would still give him a reason for doing what he is doing without the extremely drug based abuse in the background.

Scum of the earth wasn't exactly the feel I was going for. I actually have quite a few friends who's parents have that exact problem, and considered it a bit of a shutout to them, saying that they could still enjoy life even with th parental troubles. However, I do understand that this is a forum for all ages, and will change it if need be.

There's one thing that needs to be adjusted before I can approve this application. A colt cannot be traveling Equestria on his own trying to make a living, they need to live with an adult (Stallion or Mare) until they themselves are grown. If you just change his age to Stallion that would solve the problem.

Wait waitwaitwait. Why can't a colt be traveling on their own? Assuming that a colt is roughly teenage years, then wouldn't that also mean that all of the mane six also break that rule? I'm not sure how that all fits in.

Colt fills in the wide gap between foal and stallion. As a general rule, colts/fillies who fall closer to the title of foal don't strike out on their own, though it may be permissible on the older end. Older colt or young stallion would be an acceptable title for this character. This title change would be the only adjustment required before approval.

Ah, kk. I was under the impression that Foal=Cutie Mark crusaters

Filly/Colt=Mane 6

Mare/Stallion=Mr. and Mrs. Cake

just as an example.

Assuming that the Mane 6 are actually mares, then that would mean that Foal=The cake children

Filly/Colt=Cutie Mark Crusaders

Mare/Stallion=Everything above that mark?

For Ponies

Subjective Age Brackets are as follows:

Foals are newborns and can be considered from age 0 to 12.

Colts are young male ponies and can be considered from 13 to 17.

Filles are young female ponies and can be considered from 13 to 17-.

Stallions/Mares are adult ponies and are from 18 to 49-ish.

Elderly are 50+