[Manehattan] Striking Out

Nahima

Before the dawn had broken through the clouds that sounded Cloudsdale, Nahima had just finished the packing the last of her things. It was a big decision to leave the place that she for so long had called home. She slung the saddle bags over her back and gave the belt a good pull. Without looking back her room, Nahima walked away from her old life to start a new one.

Nahima had left Cloudsdale without so much as a word to her mother. It wasn’t that she was being rude to her mother; she just knew that it wouldn’t make a difference to say anything to her. Nahima stepped on the edge of Cloudsdale before taking the leap of fate. “Goodbye Cloudsdale.” She felt the warmth of the southern air current as she took flight. Not really sure where she wanted to go or how long it would take her, she decided to go where the winds were going to take her.

---

Nahima had flown for over a day before she felt it was time to rest. She fluttered softly onto a white puffy cloud. She reached into her saddle bag and pulled out a map of Equestria. She mulled it over for a moment, her eyes scanned the map. “I should just be outside Manehattan. I think if nothing else there should be some good places to start my research.” She folded the map back up. With the wing to her back she took flight once again aiming for the city just in the distance.

Dunder Blust had been travelling over Equestria a while. Though, he hadn't been to Manehattan much. Probably because the city was like Canterlot in some ways that Dunder liked to avoid. The main reason he was there was to check out a new exhibit in a museum on the strange, elusive mythical creatures of Equestria. Things like that had always drawn Dunder's attention. Sea monsters to timberwolves.

Dunder was inside the museum, browsing slowly and reading everything carefully. He hadn't signed up for a guide, or anything of the sort. He always liked to go through museums by himself. He had also left his rapier at home, he hoped he wouldn't need it and in places like Manehattan he could get locked up just for carrying it.

Finally Nahima had made it to center of Manehattan. Gliding gracefully down past the clouds to the streets below, something caught her eye in the distance. A large muesum with huge arches and wonderful stones stairs leading to a grand entrance. Having lived in the clouds her whole life, she had never seen such buildings. As she glided just above the sidewalks, she tried to swurve in, out and around the swarm of ponies on the sidewalk. They also were trying to get to their important distantions.

"Excuse me! Ooops! Sorry!" Nahima said softly at first but as the pushing and shoving became harder she felt her niceness slip. "Watch it! Move! Gah!" She managed to make it to the cross walk just outside the muesum. No pony seemed to abide the crosswalk. As a large group basically took her across unwilling she tried to squeeze from it. With an almost pop noise, Nahima broke free from their ranks.

Nahima checked herself over, "All limbs seem to be intake." With a sigh of relief, Nahima stated to make her way up the stairs to entrance of her destination. "This is so amazing!"

Dunder could hear some commotion outside. It appeared as though a fellow pegasus was shoving and pushing ponies away on the streets. Something this pony made Dunder know that she wasn't a normal pony. At least not here. He decided to introduce himself.

Dunder trotted over to the pitch-black mare. "Hey, you seem like you're in a hurry. May I ask why?" Dunder asked, trying to be polite. He knew that she could also maybe be just in a bad mood... and mares in a bad mood was a recipe for disaster with Dunder.

"Oh! Sorry! I am just a little flustered, I haven't seen so many ponies in one spot before. I just got a little over-whelmed" Nahima gave a sigh of relief and smiled warmly at the colt. "I do seem a little out of place, don't i?" She blushed and looked down at her hooves.

"There are a lot of ponies here. Didn't you know that there was a new exhibit here at the museum?" Dunder asked. He had expected for that to be why she was there, making him look at her with a confused look. "And you do seem a little out of place... that's why I came over..." Dunder said and smiled nervously, "Though, I could show you around the museum and the new exhibit." He said as he pointed to the entrance over his shoulder. "It's about mythical creatures of Equestra."

Taiko Fairy, one of the many musicians that played on the corners of Manehattan streets, had just finished one of her many performances for the day. Like most day,s the pegasus had been flying all over town with her Djembe to find a heavily populated area to play at for the next showing. The gray pegasus had found that the park seemed to be quite populated today and the pegasi hadn't scheduled a rain this week so the ground would be dry too. She had noticed the museum was rather populated but that was due to the new exhibit. Something Taiko had wanted to see before she left home on her adventure.

While flying overhead she noticed a pony who didn't seem to be from Manehattan. The mare didn't seem to be maneuvering the crowds very well. Taiko wasn't very good at getting through them either, she just flew over them. Finally the mare escaped the crowds and made her way to the museum. Before Taiko could land and introduce herself, another pony made his way over. Not that Taiko cared, she did what she wanted and she would eventually go over and introduce herself anyway. Once she landed that is.

The museum entrance wasn't the best place to land, especially with an instrument, but it was the only place at the present. The older filly landed pretty quickly and managed to kick up a bit of dust around her that many of the Manehattan locals disliked. "Whoops..." Taiko said once she noticed the small mess she made. She just shrugged it off and pranced over to the two pegasi in conversation. "Hey! You guys aren't from around here are you?" She asked. "You don't really look it that is..." She said quickly. The Musician didn't want to be rude... well too rude.

((Hope it's OK that I jump in.))

Nahima smiled at the colt, "Thank you so much, I will gladly take you up on the offer. Although I didn't catch your name, my name is Nahima Haiku," she stretched her wings before folding them neatly at her side.

Suddenly from behind her, Nahima heard a voice and turned, a small cloud tickled her nose and she gave a sneeze. Shaking her head, she looked up at the mare. "You are right about that, I just arrived here. I do seem a bit out of sorts. I just came from Cloudsdale. I left because....well...I wanted to get started doing history on myths and legends." She paused and thought, "And this kind colt was wanting to give a tour of the new exhibit."

Taiko Fairy, one of the many musicians that played on the corners of Manehattan streets, had just finished one of her many performances for the day. Like most day,s the pegasus had been flying all over town with her Djembe to find a heavily populated area to play at for the next showing. The gray pegasus had found that the park seemed to be quite populated today and the pegasi hadn't scheduled a rain this week so the ground would be dry too. She had noticed the museum was rather populated but that was due to the new exhibit. Something Taiko had wanted to see before she left home on her adventure.

While flying overhead she noticed a pony who didn't seem to be from Manehattan. The mare didn't seem to be maneuvering the crowds very well. Taiko wasn't very good at getting through them either, she just flew over them. Finally the mare escaped the crowds and made her way to the museum. Before Taiko could land and introduce herself, another pony made his way over. Not that Taiko cared, she did what she wanted and she would eventually go over and introduce herself anyway. Once she landed that is.

The museum entrance wasn't the best place to land, especially with an instrument, but it was the only place at the present. The older filly landed pretty quickly and managed to kick up a bit of dust around her that many of the Manehattan locals disliked. "Whoops..." Taiko said once she noticed the small mess she made. She just shrugged it off and pranced over to the two pegasi in conversation. "Hey! You guys aren't from around here are you?" She asked. "You don't really look it that is..." She said quickly. The Musician didn't want to be rude... well too rude.

((Hope it's OK that I jump in.))

*Out of character*

I am ok with it if Dunder !

[Of course it's okay. :P]

Dunder smiled at Nahime, "Nice name, I like it." He said before taking in a breath, "And my name is Dunder Blust, it's a pleasure to meet you." He said before shifting his gaze to another pegasus mare who had just landed and walked over to them.

Dunder didn't mine the dust from her landing, he just closed his eyes when it got a little dense. "You don't look like you're from around here either." Dunder said to Taiko before Nahime explained why she was there. "Well, I'm not really a tour guide, I've just been here longer, actually, I haven't really gone to the mythological creature exhibits. I was saving the best for last, but I do know where they are." He said to both of them.

Taiko listened to the mare from Cloudsdale. Her father was from Cloudsdale but he too had left. Since her dad had told her about the amazing city in the clouds, Taiko had wanted to go so badly. It would definitely be her first stop once she left Manehattan. Then The Stallion explained why he was in the city. He had been there for for a bit longer than the mare but still he was wasn't from around there. Both ponies were in Manehattan for the Exhibit in the museum.

"That's super cool. I'm from here. Kind of boring huh? I'm not old enough to go out on my own though." Taiko explained to them. "I'm one of many block musicians in Manehattan. My dad, Capriccio, lived in Cloudsdale though. Once I leave the city, that's my first stop, then Canterlot!" The young pegasus explained with a smile. "Oh, forgive me! My mom would kill me for not introducing myself sooner, I'm Taiko Fairy! I was planning to go into the exhibit today. Mythological things are cool."

(OOH an actual Manehatten thread... i'm jumping in if its ok with you guys/girls.)

Eagle Eye loved this museum it had so much information for him usually he would he trotting silence taking notes.

"Uhhhg i still don't get why i had to come." sadly he had decided to drag his Brother Lucky Chance with him.

"Oh would you stop your whining and pay attention you might learn something. besides cheating at cards i mean." Eagle stated he took Lucky along in hopes he might lose interest in gambling... it was not working. Eagle continued along with his nose in his map of the museum when Lucky spoke up.

"Eagle watch where your walking!" Lucky Exclaimed just before Eagle Ran into somepony who was speaking to two others.

Nahima stumbled when she felt the colt bump into her. "Oh!" She balanced herself with her wings. "Guess Manahattan is busier then I expected!" Nahima smiled blashfully at the pair. "This museum's newest attraction you were talking about, Dunder must really be attracting ponies from all over."

Nahima moved out of the way of the pair and smiled at them. "Lets all go inside together."

Taiko watched a colt stumble into the pegasus mare. She had tried to warn her but when she opened her mouth to say watch out, it was too late. Instead she stood with her mouth open like a silly filly. She was able to turn it into a small giggle when the mare made a joke about Manehattan being busy. This was a slow day in Taiko's mind. Finally she suggested that everyone go in together. "I like that idea. It's been a while since I've been in here. Been so focused on living and what now."

"Well let me reintroduce myself than, my name is Nahima Haiku, its a plreasure to meet you all." She smiled and then bowed her head. She smiled at her new group of friends. "Its nice to see some friendly ponies in this huge city."

Meanwhile, inside the museum, Snapshot was just starting his self guided tour. He had never been here, and new places were always fun for him. As he walked up to the front desk, the receptionist pointed at the device around his neck. "No cameras allowed," the old mare said, her voice sounding like it could be used as sandpaper.

"Oh, I'm sorry, ma'am, I'll just go find a place to hide it and come back, okay?" Snapshot immediately turned around; he walked out the door. Walking around a bit, Snapshot found a suitable place to put it, donned a shirt, and returned to the front desk.

The receptionist eyed the shirt with curiosity, but Snapshot just passed it off as him being cold, and that seemed to work for her.

"Thank you for visiting, we hope you enjoy your stay," she said. He would never get over that voice. As he rounded the corner, Snapshot took the camera out from where he had strapped it to his stomach, and disrobed himself before putting the camera back around his neck, where it belonged. It's not like he was going to take any pictures, he just couldn't part with the device. And besides, getting it past the front desk made him feel like a bad flank, which wasn't something he felt often.

Eagle Eye bowed to the Pegasus.

"im very sorry to run into you!!" he then Gestured to the Two of them "This Is Lucky Chance my Brother and im Eagle Eye we are both pleased to meet you all." Eagle eye was a earth Pony with a ghostly white Coat his Mane Jet Black and in a Slicked back style, Lucky was a unicorn With a Grass Green Coat and a carrot orange Mane in a style that covered one eye a musty fedora was on his head.

"Its very nice to meet ya especially the mares." Lucky said with a grin that would make the cheasire Cat jealous which earned a smack from Eagle

"Stop harrasing the nice Mares and pay attietion to the Exibits!" he said afteer he rather comically smacked him

Giving a welcoming nod, Nahima turned and walked up the stone stairs into the front entrance of the Museum. Paintings and sculptures lined the walls. Each being more grand the last. Nahima's eyes darted from side to side with amazement. She had only read about these things in books at the Cloudsdale library. Looking back at the group, she could see their own amazement and it gave her a smile. It was nice to see others interested in history as she was.

But suddenly her happiness bubble was burst by the sound a grainy voice, "Welcome to the The National History Museum of Manhattan." The old mare's mane was up in a tight bun causing her wrinkles to be pulled back unnaturally. Nahima tried to give a polite smile at the older pony. “One Please.”

Snapshot heard the sandpaper voice start rubbing against the grain again and cringed. Peeking back around the corner, hae sw a large group of ponies had just entered the museum. She probably wouldn't stop talking, so he braced for the worst.

Looking at the picture in front of him, Snapshot wondered how someone could capture such a realistic scene without the use of film. Photography was on thing, but to actually be able to draw entire worlds from you own mind was way beyond him. This was one of the many reasons he never got into painting. He cringed again as the hag spoke to the next customer. Sighing, he moved onto the next picture.

Dunder greeted all the ponies who had trotted up and maybe bumped into them with the same greeting, "Hello, I'm Dunder Blust."

When Nahime started to trot up her way into the museum, he followed close beside her. After she ordered a ticket inside, he soon bought one of his own. He looked back to the other ponies who had started to follow them. He smiled back at them before turning back and trotting inside.

• 2 weeks later...

Taiko Fairy also followed Dunder and bought a ticket. When she got her ticket, she looked back in to her change bag. The pony didn't have much money anymore. After touring the museum she would have to go back to her father and get a second performance going. The pegasus put that behind her and tried to focus on something else. Taiko entered the museum and looked up at the grand stone arches and architecture. It was very beautiful but she didn't care much for artwork such as these. Music was much more her style, as if her cutiemark didn't give away her talent and likes.

"Shall we get moving?" Taiko asked Dunder and Nahima.

Nahima was amazed that just in the last hour, she has met and befriended such wonderful ponies. She smiled at the goup and couldn't believe her luck. As she turned her attention to the muesum, she could see another pony in the distance with a sadden expression on his face. Nahima titled her head a bit concerened about the colt. Trotting a head a bit, Nahima tried to catch up to him. "Excuse me..? Are you alright?"

"Yes, we should get moving. I don't know how crowded this place is going to be." He said honestly. He hadn't visited their museum destination, and he wasn't sure how big or how many ponies were there. There were already a lot of ponies coming from all around to see the exhibit. He turned back to face Nahima, but she seemed to have vanished.

He glanced around, "Nahima?" He asked, way too quiet for her to hear. He managed to spot the pegasus mare in the crowd of ponies. "Come on." He said to Taiko Fairy as he trotted off through the crowd to get to Nahima. When he reached her, he got next to her, "Hey, what happened?" He asked Nahima.

Taiko trotted after Dunder. She had lost sight of Nahima as well. Lucky for them, Dunder found her again. It took some effort for the smaller pegasus to push through the crowd but she made it out. When she walked next to Dunder, she found herself looking at another pony. She had no idea who this pony was but she was always eager to meet new ponies.

"Hi! I'm Taiko Fairy!" She said happily to the other pony.