MLP Chess

Isoraqathedh

As I said elsewhere, wherever I go I drop a chess variant.

This here is MilpFim Chess, because I like pronouncing acronyms all silly.

â•â€Ââ•ÂÂâ•ÂÂâ•ÂÂ╤â•ÂÂâ•ÂÂâ•ÂÂ╤â•ÂÂâ•ÂÂâ•ÂÂ╤â•ÂÂâ•ÂÂâ•ÂÂ╤â•ÂÂâ•ÂÂâ•ÂÂ╤â•ÂÂâ•ÂÂâ•ÂÂ╤â•ÂÂâ•ÂÂâ•ÂÂ╤â•ÂÂâ•ÂÂâ•ÂÂ╤â•ÂÂâ•ÂÂâ•ÂÂ╤â•ÂÂâ•ÂÂâ•ÂÂ╤â•ÂÂâ•ÂÂâ•ÂÂ╤â•ÂÂâ•ÂÂâ•ÂÂâ•â€â€
8 â•‘ a ââ€Â‚â–“râ–“ââ€Â‚ f ââ€Â‚▓À▓ââ€Â‚ i ââ€Â‚â–“tâ–“ââ€Â‚ c ââ€Â‚â–“iâ–“ââ€Â‚ À ââ€Â‚â–“fâ–“ââ€Â‚ r ââ€Â‚â–“aâ–“â•‘
â•Ÿââ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Â¼ââ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Â¼ââ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Â¼ââ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Â¼ââ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Â¼ââ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Â¼ââ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Â¼ââ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Â¼ââ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Â¼ââ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Â¼ââ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Â¼ââ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Â€â•¢
7 â•‘â–“pâ–“ââ€Â‚ p ââ€Â‚â–“pâ–“ââ€Â‚ p ââ€Â‚â–“pâ–“ââ€Â‚ p ââ€Â‚â–“pâ–“ââ€Â‚ p ââ€Â‚â–“pâ–“ââ€Â‚ p ââ€Â‚â–“pâ–“ââ€Â‚ p â•‘
â•Ÿââ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Â¼ââ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Â¼ââ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Â¼ââ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Â¼ââ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Â¼ââ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Â¼ââ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Â¼ââ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Â¼ââ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Â¼ââ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Â¼ââ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Â¼ââ€Âۉâ€Âۉâ€Â€â•¢
6 â•‘ ââ€Â‚â–“â–“â–“ââ€Â‚ ââ€Â‚â–“â–“â–“ââ€Â‚ ââ€Â‚â–“â–“â–“ââ€Â‚ ââ€Â‚â–“â–“â–“ââ€Â‚ ââ€Â‚â–“â–“â–“ââ€Â‚ ââ€Â‚â–“â–“â–“â•‘
5 â•‘â–“â–“â–“ââ€Â‚ ââ€Â‚â–“â–“â–“ââ€Â‚ ââ€Â‚â–“â–“â–“ââ€Â‚ ââ€Â‚â–“â–“â–“ââ€Â‚ ââ€Â‚â–“â–“â–“ââ€Â‚ ââ€Â‚â–“â–“â–“ââ€Â‚ â•‘
4 â•‘ ââ€Â‚â–“â–“â–“ââ€Â‚ ââ€Â‚â–“â–“â–“ââ€Â‚ ââ€Â‚â–“â–“â–“ââ€Â‚ ââ€Â‚â–“â–“â–“ââ€Â‚ ââ€Â‚â–“â–“â–“ââ€Â‚ ââ€Â‚â–“â–“â–“â•‘
3 â•‘â–“â–“â–“ââ€Â‚ ââ€Â‚â–“â–“â–“ââ€Â‚ ââ€Â‚â–“â–“â–“ââ€Â‚ ââ€Â‚â–“â–“â–“ââ€Â‚ ââ€Â‚â–“â–“â–“ââ€Â‚ ââ€Â‚â–“â–“â–“ââ€Â‚ â•‘
2 â•‘ P ââ€Â‚â–“Pâ–“ââ€Â‚ P ââ€Â‚â–“Pâ–“ââ€Â‚ P ââ€Â‚â–“Pâ–“ââ€Â‚ P ââ€Â‚â–“Pâ–“ââ€Â‚ P ââ€Â‚â–“Pâ–“ââ€Â‚ P ââ€Â‚â–“Pâ–“â•‘
1 â•‘â–“Aâ–“ââ€Â‚ R ââ€Â‚â–“Fâ–“ââ€Â‚ Π ââ€Â‚â–“Iâ–“ââ€Â‚ T ââ€Â‚â–“Câ–“ââ€Â‚ I ââ€Â‚▓Π▓ââ€Â‚ F ââ€Â‚â–“Râ–“ââ€Â‚ A â•‘
â•šâ•ÂÂâ•ÂÂâ•ÂÂ╧â•ÂÂâ•ÂÂâ•ÂÂ╧â•ÂÂâ•ÂÂâ•ÂÂ╧â•ÂÂâ•ÂÂâ•ÂÂ╧â•ÂÂâ•ÂÂâ•ÂÂ╧â•ÂÂâ•ÂÂâ•ÂÂ╧â•ÂÂâ•ÂÂâ•ÂÂ╧â•ÂÂâ•ÂÂâ•ÂÂ╧â•ÂÂâ•ÂÂâ•ÂÂ╧â•ÂÂâ•ÂÂâ•ÂÂ╧â•ÂÂâ•ÂÂâ•ÂÂ╧â•ÂÂâ•ÂÂâ•ÂÂâ•ÂÂ
a b c d e f g h i j k l

I have given the main characters a place on the chess board, basically. They all have their moves ready, and the game itself has been playtested once (with a pencil, pen, eraser and paper.)

This place is a little bit too small to explain the moves, so for now please refer to the wiki page that I have made for it.

But if you do know the finesse of chess variant parlance, here's a condensed version on the movesets (paste into Excel or any other spreadsheet of your choice to view properly):

Piece	Symbol	Value	Betza
Celestia C $2·50 nN
Twilight T $6·25 Q3rlR
Applejack A $5·00 R4fJ
Rdash R $4·00 NL
PinkieÀ Π $3·50 FDbW
FlutterÅ¡y F $7·00 nNF
Rarity I $3·25 FfbDpJ
Pawn P $1·00 IT'S A PAWN.

Cheers!

for Luna? well, maybe Midnight Moon...

There could be a villian set.

Midnight Moon

Dragon from Dragonshy

Diamond Dogs

Various Griffin characters

etc.

for Luna? well, maybe Midnight Moon...

There could be a villian set.

Midnight Moon

Dragon from Dragonshy

Diamond Dogs

Various Griffin characters

etc.

You know something? There is something called a griffin in Chess, except it's more often spelled Gryphon in that context. It moves like a Ferz one time, and then continues in a Rook direction. Link to moveset.

Because of that, it's worth more than a Rook, so why not make it a Rook-piece (placed on a1, k1)?

Luna would be equally weak, and I'm probably not lying about a Day; it is nAnD, a non-jumping Alibaba. (Compare it to a Knight and see what I mean.) She's bound to one square in four.

Anyway, we now have four or five potential pieces; I'll dream up a couple and put on a list later.

Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, Gummy, Angel, Opalescence, Winona, and Spike should all be pawns on an 8 by 8 set.

With the earth ponies Pinkie Pie and Applejack as rooks,

Pegasus ponies Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy as knights,

Unicorns Twilight Sparkle and Rarity as bishops,

and Celestia and Luna as Queen and "other queen"...

Honestly though,

I can't believe we're talking about a MLPFiM chess set X-)

The board could be designed to look like equestria in general, or the ruins of the temple where nightmare moon is defeated.

Actually the board is a multi-purpose one; it has to be able to represent any game that can fit in a 14 Ã 10. That's why I can't customize it too much, or even checker it; Shogi can be played here, but the bard is not checkered there.

I have played a game already! See the score. (Please note: the game is written in algerbraic notation.)

1. [*:138dh0tm]f4 g5
    [*:138dh0tm]Πi3 Ie6
    [*:138dh0tm]g3 Rj6
    [*:138dh0tm]Ie3 Πd6
    [*:138dh0tm]b3 g4
    [*:138dh0tm]Fb2 Ai6
    [*:138dh0tm]Rc4 Πd4
    [*:138dh0tm]Ixd4 d6
    [*:138dh0tm]Fc3 c5
    [*:138dh0tm]j3 h5
    [*:138dh0tm]Ad3 Af6
    [*:138dh0tm]Axf6 Ri5
    [*:138dh0tm]Fk3 Πh7
    [*:138dh0tm]e4 k6
    [*:138dh0tm]Rf5+ Ixf5
    [*:138dh0tm]exf5 exf6
    [*:138dh0tm]Rj4 Ixf5
    [*:138dh0tm]O-Oj Te7
    [*:138dh0tm]Af3 Πg6
    [*:138dh0tm]Ae3 Te8
    [*:138dh0tm]Te2 Rxh2+
    [*:138dh0tm]Πxh2 a5
    [*:138dh0tm]Fl4 Aa6
    [*:138dh0tm]Ig2 l5
    [*:138dh0tm]Πf1 i6
    [*:138dh0tm]Πf3 Ixc3
    [*:138dh0tm]Fh7 f5
    [*:138dh0tm]Ieh3 Fi5
    [*:138dh0tm]If6 Ac6
    [*:138dh0tm]Axc6 Txe2
    [*:138dh0tm]Πxc2 bxc6
    [*:138dh0tm]Πc1 d5
    [*:138dh0tm]Fk5 c4
    [*:138dh0tm]Fj6 Rc5
    [*:138dh0tm]Fk7 Rxf6
    [*:138dh0tm]d4 l4
    [*:138dh0tm]Fj8 Πe6
    [*:138dh0tm]Πe3 Rxe3
    [*:138dh0tm]Fh7+ Ce7
    [*:138dh0tm]Ff8+ Cc8
    [*:138dh0tm]Ie5 Πe8
    [*:138dh0tm]Fe7+ Cb6
    [*:138dh0tm]Πh4 Ie1
    [*:138dh0tm]k4 Fxh4
    [*:138dh0tm]Rk7 Rf1
    [*:138dh0tm]l3 c3
    [*:138dh0tm]Fxc6 Πe6
    [*:138dh0tm]k5 Πe4
    [*:138dh0tm]Id6 Fxh3
    [*:138dh0tm]Ci3 a4
    [*:138dh0tm]bxa4 Cxa4
    [*:138dh0tm]j4 Fh2+
    [*:138dh0tm]Ck4 g3
    [*:138dh0tm]j5 g2
    [*:138dh0tm]Rh6 g1(T)
    [*:138dh0tm]Ci5 kxj5
    [*:138dh0tm]Ri4 Πg4
    [*:138dh0tm]Rxf5 Πi4+
    [*:138dh0tm]Rxi4 Fxi4
    [*:138dh0tm]Fb4 Ti3
    [*:138dh0tm]Ic5 Fh3# 0-1

Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, Gummy, Angel, Opalescence, Winona, and Spike should all be pawns on an 8 by 8 set.

With the earth ponies Pinkie Pie and Applejack as rooks,

Pegasus ponies Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy as knights,

Unicorns Twilight Sparkle and Rarity as bishops,

and Celestia and Luna as Queen and "other queen"...

Honestly though,

I can't believe we're talking about a MLPFiM chess set X-)

I wonder if there are enough Pawns!

Let's see: The regular one, the Berolina one, the Chinese one, the Weak one, the Quick one, the Steward...

I'm out.

• 2 weeks later...

hi hi

I've gotta be honest, the only "alternative chess," I've ever had any knowledge about was Klin Zha. I am a bit curious as to why you chose the movement types that you did, and what the significance is. I don't really possess the abstract mathematical logic to figure it out intuitively.

Edit: If I were to make up movement rules based on character traits, I would think Pinkie Pie should teleport around to different edges of the board like she does in the show. :)

You can also reenact the great Earth Pony vs. Pegasus/Unicorn war that will come once the Earth ponies throw off the shackles of their empowered oppressors!

Either way. Sounds like fun! I am not super good at chess because I do not know the standard defenses, but my brother and I used to make our own chess boards all the time!

hi hi

I've gotta be honest, the only "alternative chess," I've ever had any knowledge about was Klin Zha. I am a bit curious as to why you chose the movement types that you did, and what the significance is. I don't really possess the abstract mathematical logic to figure it out intuitively.

Edit: If I were to make up movement rules based on character traits, I would think Pinkie Pie should teleport around to different edges of the board like she does in the show. :D

It's slightly arbitrary, but:

CELESTIA moves as a hobbled Knight mainly because a weak royal means short games.

APPLEJACK is a straight (wo)man -- and you can't get staighter than a Rook.

RAINBOW DASH is fast, and Camels are fast, and a Gnu is fast and powerful.

PINKIE PIE is just weird. Nearly colorbound while still able to surprise anything.

I guess I'll deal with the rest later, but in the meantime, here's to the final list of MLPCs!

mlpchesscompilation.png

• 2 weeks later...