Forest Ranger [final]

TaikoFairy

Roleplay Type: Mane RP

Name: Forest Ranger

Sex: Male

Species: Unicorn

Eye Color: Green

Coat Color: Dark green with brown spots

Mane/Tail/Markings Color & Style: Forest has a short black mane with a short but thick black tail. He does have a dark green coloring with brown spots allowing him to better blend into a forest.

Physique: Taller than the average pony and very muscular

Cutie Mark: A blue print of a pine tree.

Origin/Residence: Gallopacus Islands - But often travels to other wooded areas wooded areas to make sure the forests don't have a shortage of trees.

Motivation: Forest has heard from city ponies that the calm island air is much nicer and cleaner than city air. Forest wants to create clean air for everypony as well as build houses for others without clearing entire forests and hurting the environment.

Likes: Alone time, Peace and quiet, planting, working out, schedules

Dislikes: Flying, Being late, pranks, Brussel sprouts, swimming

Character Summary: Forest Ranger's parent's are both unicorns. His father, Onyx Hoof, comes from a distant line of island ponies who had different colored coats to blend into the water, forest or mountains. His father has a gray and brown coat to blend into mountain rocks. His mother, Light Bright, was a the daughter of a candle make who lived on the island. His father is a sculptor while his mother is a candle maker still. Forest was the first of two ponies from the two. When he was born his brown and green coat shocked both of his parents. Instantly Onyx Hoof thought of the name Forest Ranger for him. When he was still a foal, his sister was born and he came up with the name Ocean Eyes for her. It stuck.

As a foal, before Ocean was born. Forest liked spending his time in the garden planting with his mom. They didn't have a big garden but it was enough for Forest. The pony developed faster than most ponies. Even as a foal he was very determined and serious. Everything had to go his way or he would get frustrated. As he grew up, he started spending more time wandering the woods by his home. Forest would try and identify plants. There were many times when other colts and fillies would play in the woods with him. They would make stick forts. Because of all the lifting of sticks and plants to make these forts, Forest's magic was very good. He studied his magic diligently. When his sister started getting older and more adventurous, Forest was in charge of watching her at the beach as well as the other fillies and colts who played with her. In this time he would draw out other fort ideas in the sand while watching them. Most of the times he was left alone but other times Ocean felt the need to completely soak him in ocean water. There was one occasion where all of the unicorn fillies combined their magic to pick up forest and plop him in the ocean. Not only did it shock him, it frustrated him too. Forest wasn't the strongest swimmer and usually just sank in the water. Luckily he made it out but he hasn't been swimming since.

Forest earned his cutie mark while making one of his forts. His friends had started calling themselves the Gallopacus Fantastic Fort Makers. Much like the school newspaper, the GFFM because a school club. The club was run by another pony who already had his cutie mark. No pony wanted to follow a Blank Flank. It was the first fort of the year and everything that could go wrong, went wrong. The leader of the group ended up ditching halfway through. Since they were only using stick, and logs that had fallen down already, Forest quickly took over the fort making and made it better than the original plans too. With the Colt's intense knowledge of woods and the plant life, he was able to make a great fort with a plant roof without harming the environment. That was the day he realized that he wanted to build houses but using certian woods without hurting the forests in Equestria. When the fort was finished and other ponies started taking a look at the forts, Forest realized that he had gotten his cutie mark! It was a blueprint of a pine tree. The pine tree represented his knowledge of the plant life in Equestria and the Blueprint stood for a talented architect and builder.

Forest and his sister Ocean are very different. Where Ocean is free flowing like the water, Forest is more stubborn and holds strong like a tree. The pony is very serious. Many times he is so serious that he doesn't see the fun things in life because everything is all about work or taking care of Ocean. Forest always wants to take care of Ocean and because of that she depends on him to take care of her. Since Ocean's birth, he has seen himself as her protector and doesn't let just any pony near her. Forest can be friendly once he gets to know somepony but he isn't initially friendly.

Due to his job, Forest travels regularly. He travels to forests to see which trees he can cut down to make other ponies houses. If there is an excess of a certain kind of tree in a forest, Forest uses that kind of wood to build his houses. Since Forest is such a perfectionist, he is present for eevery part of the house making. He is there making the plans, choosing the wood, cutting down the wood, transporting the wood, building the house and presenting the house to the owner. The pony sees everything over from start to finish. He only travels to build his houses and to watch over Ocean. When he is on the Gallopacus Islands, he rangers in the forests there. Forest usually wears a dark green suit with a brown vest while he is doing his side job as a Ranger on the Gallopacus Islands. He only rangers for a few day before leaving again. In the winter though, he can be found back on the islands, since not many ponies want a house built for them.

post-3511-0-27109900-1338861955_thumb.pn

post-3511-0-77737900-1338861959_thumb.pn

Forest know that trees and plants are a source of oxygen that ponies breathe. This pony wants to build houses for others without clearing entire forests and hurting the environment.

I'm not saying change this - in fact it's great. And I'm not even saying add what I'm about to suggest to your application. But, you might want to consider how Forest knows that plants are a source of oxygen. Now, I know it's true, and we know it's true because we have science to show us, but Equestria might not be that advanced. That said, there are still ways for our pony visigoth-barbarians to know that plants help produce the air ponies need to breathe (eg. the air feels fresher in forests and places where there are plants, as opposed to urban cities, where there are fewer plants). In other words, this is good - just make sure you have an Equestrian, low-tech reasoning and not a Human, modern/highly scientific one! I've run into the same dilemma explaining how my character knows certain things in other fantasy settings. ;)

Otherwise, I think your character is very solid and you should consider making this [Final] so we can see Forest in action!

How is this Application coming along?

I hope to be finished soon! Graduation parties and graduation takes a lot out of me.

I'm not saying change this - in fact it's great. And I'm not even saying add what I'm about to suggest to your application. But, you might want to consider how Forest knows that plants are a source of oxygen. Now, I know it's true, and we know it's true because we have science to show us, but Equestria might not be that advanced. That said, there are still ways for our pony visigoth-barbarians to know that plants help produce the air ponies need to breathe (eg. the air feels fresher in forests and places where there are plants, as opposed to urban cities, where there are fewer plants). In other words, this is good - just make sure you have an Equestrian, low-tech reasoning and not a Human, modern/highly scientific one! I've run into the same dilemma explaining how my character knows certain things in other fantasy settings. ;-)

Otherwise, I think your character is very solid and you should consider making this [Final] so we can see Forest in action!

I see what you're saying here. I didn't even think of that because I just knew the sciency for a while and I forgot that the ponies might not know that. I want to add more on Forest's flaws and personality before I put him in action.

I think this is a great application. :) Everything in it seems fine; I just feel all we nee dis some clarification in a couple places and it will be good to go. :)

Forest earned his cutie mark while making one of his forts. His friends had started calling themselves the Gallopacus Fantastic Fort Makers. Much like the school newspaper, the GFFM because a school club. The club was run by another pony who already had his cutie mark. No pony wanted to follow a Blank Flank. It was the first fort of the year and everything that could go wrong, went wrong. The leader of the group ended up ditching halfway through. Since they were only using stick, and logs that had fallen down already, Forest quickly took over the fort making and made it better than the original plans too. With the Colt's intense knowledge of woods and the plant life, he was able to make a great fort with a plant roof without harming the environment. That was the day he realized that he wanted to build houses but using certian woods without hurting the forests in Equestria.

There is nothing wrong with this story, I think it just needs to be clarified that he indeed received his cutie mark when he designed the eco-friendly, well-built fort.

Due to his job, Forest travels regularly. He travels to forests to see which trees he can cut down to make other ponies houses. If there is an excess of a certain kind of tree in a forest, Forest uses that kind of wood to build his houses. He only travels to build his houses and to watch over Ocean. When he is on the Gallopacus Islands, he rangers in the forests there. Forest usually wears a dark green suit with a brown vest while he is doing his side job as a Ranger on the Gallopacus Islands.

Just to clarify, his main job is designing eco-friendly dwellings for ponies, or at least helping determine tree cutting quotas (or both)? I am not entirely sure, which is why I feel this needs to be made a bit more clear that eco-friendly architecture and forest cutting regulation is his primary vocation, and that being a ranger is a part time gig he does in his otherwise down time for his regular job (which I would imagine is during the winter).

Just to clarify, his main job is designing eco-friendly dwellings for ponies, or at least helping determine tree cutting quotas (or both)? I am not entirely sure, which is why I feel this needs to be made a bit more clear that eco-friendly architecture and forest cutting regulation is his primary vocation, and that being a ranger is a part time gig he does in his otherwise down time for his regular job (which I would imagine is during the winter).

I see what you mean. I imagine Forest being a huge perfectionist when it comes to his houses so he would want to oversee EVERYTHING. His main job is designing and building these eco-friendly houses. And Forest being the perfectionist he is, would oversee and want to be apart of it all.. I know this isn't how it works in the real work (most times). His Ranger gig is when he has at least a few days of down time on the Gallopacus Islands.

I'm having a bit of a hard time making Forest. I'm not sure why. He's just more complex than my other two, who made it through the system without any trouble.

I find it very intriguing and am curious as to what happens to ocean when she grows up. Questions that may help you might be what would be her occupation, does she get married, does she have kids, if so what are their names?. This is a good start to another story.

I see what you mean. I imagine Forest being a huge perfectionist when it comes to his houses so he would want to oversee EVERYTHING. His main job is designing and building these eco-friendly houses. And Forest being the perfectionist he is, would oversee and want to be apart of it all.. I know this isn't how it works in the real work (most times). His Ranger gig is when he has at least a few days of down time on the Gallopacus Islands.

I'm having a bit of a hard time making Forest. I'm not sure why. He's just more complex than my other two, who made it through the system without any trouble.

Honestly I think you are really about there with him as far as a good application goes; I just feel those couple parts I pointed out just need to be more clear. There isn't anything wrong with the stories themselves.

I find it very intriguing and am curious as to what happens to ocean when she grows up. Questions that may help you might be what would be her occupation, does she get married, does she have kids, if so what are their names?. This is a good start to another story.

Ocean's profile is already made... You can go look at it if you want.