[Chapter 3 - No Land's End] Turning Tides and Mending Hearts

CrescentBlaze

((I would like to apologize for slightly gary stewing crescent Im gonna dial it back a bit :blush:. However Im gonna allow this thread to be a lot less realistic then when it started so if you want you're character to be a pinnacle of bad***ery then go for it. I'll only stop you if it 1. gets way out of hand, lets keep it to one thing they are really good at, and no god like powers. 2. if it interferes with the direction I am trying to take the story. have fun :) also the Storm V Crescent battle scene will not continue until dunder posts, [go slay a dragon or something, or help crescent he might need it... :P ]))

Gale was furious. The pounding of his own wings had started to get to him and he could feel his mate starting to tire and slightly lag behind. There was no time for a break, Manehatten was in danger of being overrun by an army of wolves and as the elite soldiers of the imperial air force it was Gale's and Shadow's duty to warn and protect the city.

Excited as Gale was to be able to see some action, deep down he was embarrassed for be outspoken by a filthy wolf, though he mainly expressed it through rage. Despite his manic pace and grim expression, he was sure Shadow must have known how he really felt. That mare always seemed to be able to read him like an open book, it was one of the reasons he loved her so; but they were on duty and there was no time for romance when there was a battle to fight. They both knew that equally well.

The city was just coming over the horizon when Shadow spoke up.

"Gale! I need to stop! Im too tired."

"Just hang in there! see we're almost there. C'mon you can do it!"

His encouragement was enough to spur her on. She knew he would never leave her behind but the prospect of looking weak even through such vigorous circumstances was deterrent enough to make her push.

A n hour later they arrived at the command post that had been established within a huge tower that had been built to serve as a citadel for the militarized city. Nearing collapse the two mates leaned against each other for support as they made their way to the war room their condition drawing attention from the soldiers they passed. They entered the room abruptly all eyes darting to them.

"Manehatten... *pant pant* in danger...wolf army coming...to slaughter the city."

Shadow said nothing but collapse in exhaustion from their intense flight; Gale soon followed and the two were rushed off to the barracks hospital to be nourished back to health before the battle. The Manehatten council convened to decide on proper preparations on short notice.

"Oh, hey Black, I didn't know you were up? What can I say i'm a bit of an early riser, haha."

Runner put on a smile, trying to avoid the fact that his dreams had bothered him last night, as they had been recently. He wasn't quite sure what they were trying to tell him. He just tried to remember them to the best of his ability.

"Well, despite the fact that we may all be awake earlier than usual, how about we get moving? Sitting still has never exactly been something i'm very good at. Black, wanna grab us some water. I'll go get some hay, i'm starving. Hey Dawn would you like to join me? I think i'll need two ponies for this.

BlackHoof lazily toss's runner a canteen of water to both runner and dawn, " streams right over there, I filled it last night, so, I guess I'll just go back into the tent...you guys seem to need one of those 'alone time' moments ; ) "

( Yawn, its slowing down a bit :L )

Dunder was paying no attention to Crescent. He was too far in the zone right now, and he had better things to think about. Like watching out for his ponies or for himself. He needed to survive, not only for himself, but for Amy. He knew that some of his ponies had mares or stallions to think about too. How Crescent took off made Dunder want to punch the pony as hard as he could in the face. Though it seemed like Crescent left only for personal vengeance, he was fighting their leader and cutting the head off the snake could be useful.

Anyway, Dunder had no time to be angry. He was sending out order after order after order and occasionally fighting off an enemy or two that had gotten through the lines. He sent off 2 units of fast fliers to all breath through the enemy ranks like Crescent and destroy as many of the cloud cannons as possible or at least kill the crew.

He didn't call any orders yet for the dragon.... he knew he needed to do something, but he wasn't sure what. He had never fought a dragon and he didn't know of any weaknesses. He wasn't going to throw ponies into the breach or abandon them to get destroyed by the beast. From the back of their formation, he took 4 ponies and ordered them to follow him. He made sure they all knew they were about do do something dangerous and they all may not survive.He flew them around the back of the formation and out of the battle to meet the dragon.

Dunder and his 4 ponies flew as fast as they could straight for the dragon. Dunder ordered all of the ponies to fly and strike for anywhere. Anywhere that didn't look like it could take much of a beating, they needed to knock the dragon out of the sky. The other ponies all flew for different parts, whether it was the belly, the wings, the neck... Dunder flew steadily, waiting for the time to strike.

Dawn nodded, glancing up at the sun rather quickly before turning back

"Well of course I'll come with you dear, I'm a bit hungry myself... I just need to be back here in an hour or less... something like that"

She spun around aimlessly, before letting out a sigh and turning back to Runner

"Umm...you lead the way, I'm a bit out of it..."

((This would be a day and a half after Wilden and Draco met the Pegasi))

Longclaw and his brothers led the small army to the outskirts of Manhattan, far enough away to be hidden from the (few) sentries, but close enough to see the city. Even in the beginning of the night, the city was filled with noise, being loud enough for some wolves to shift uncomfortably in reaction. Though it was a challenge, nearly every wolf was as still as stone; no passing citizens or soldiers would look twice at them, which was extremely useful considering the number of travelers on the road.

When the moon was at its highest, they charged in silence. The only howl heard was the first, the signal to attack. Longclaw was to lead a small group through the sewers and into the city to open the gates. He was down there for almost four seconds before wanting to chuck up the rabbit he caught earlier. Luckily the dumping site they entered from was extremely close to the city walls, so their trip through a very smelly hell was short.

Covered with feces and other disgusting things leeching onto his fur, Longclaw opened the gate, allowing the wolves inside. He didn't need to get his paws covered in pony blood, the few soldiers that remained at their posts after the army was spotted were cut apart immediately by the wolves that went with Longclaw through the sewer.

The inner gates had been sealed, it seemed, but the largest part of the city belonged to the wolves.

((songs that inspired this turn of events...

http://balloonparty....m/track/cawtion

http://balloonparty....ck/dark-terrors))

There was a clang and roar as Crescent's blade sliced clean through the horn of Storm Dragon's mount disabling it's magic and making the remainder of the fight that much easier. Crescent soared passed Storm Dragon and bellowed a mighty cry of war as he threw himself at the murderer a second time. The Beast swung a massive wing and Crescent intercepted it with his sword, but the unicorn dragon's wing was harder than stone and held fast against the razor edge of the falchion. The force of the impact sent Crescent spinning and in his fury it took him a moment to right himself. By the time he regained his proper flight path Storm Dragon and his mount were on his six. Crescent had to think fast. On a whim he flared his wings to stop himself and fell beneath the monster as it passed. As the creature's belly passed above him he thrust Night Fire into its soft underbelly, spilling its innards over him. The creature tumbled through the sky and Storm Dragon released it watching it fall to the mountains below with a weak groan.

The mad king was overflowing with the urge to decapitate the warrior before him, the sunlight glinting off the young king's armor like fire and Crescent's like moonlight.Storm Dragon drew his sword at a speed near impossible and launched himself at Crescent. The vengeful rebel did likewise and raised Night Fire poised to pierce the Mad Emperor's heart. The two met at dangerous speed slamming into each other with enough force to break an ursa's back. Crescent swept his sword from on low up at Storm Dragon's exposed chin meaning to split the the killer's face in two. His blade was met by storm dragons and they began trading blows in earnest. The match was unlike any either had ever fought; where every technique was flawlessly executed and immediately met with a perfect counter. Storm Dragon was beginning to lose his confident demeanor, sinking into a state more similar to Crescent's a razor edged focused rage. His movements slowly became untrained as he grew frustrated by his opponents ability to deter every assault thrown at him. He began to lose his focus and simply tried to smash the other pony to death and break through his armor.

He threw his wings forward pushing himself away from the skilled assailant who waited stoicly for Storm Dragon to make a move.

"I dont know who you are, but you are going to die like a dog just like the rest of this rebel scum. NOW DIE!!!"

Storm shot up into the air and came down in a deadly spin his two curved short swords held to the side creating a lethal tornado of steel. He screamed in his effort to kill the Stallion that had challenged him. Crescent saw an opportunity and hollered as well crashing through the air like it was the only thing that would save the world. He swooped beneath Storm Dragons seemingly impenetrable swirling flurry of blades and grabbed his hoof, gripping him like a vice.

"WHAT!?!?!? NO RELEASE ME!!!"

Storm Dragon's cries of protest were futile as Crescent careened downward with his opponent in hoof. The battle raged around them, and the rebel's were clearly losing. While they were easily able to take out the imperial infantry, the dragons and dragon ponies were literally tearing their legions apart and moral was rapidly falling, if something wasnt done soon the battle would be over sooner than even Storm Dragon had anticipated.

Crescent broke through the bottom of the mass of soldiers and monster and the peaks of the mountains began approaching at an alarming rate. It was at this moment that Crescent gathered every ounce of strength he had left and hurled the flailing king in his golden thorned armor down beneath him at an out cropping on just below the mountain top.

"NOW YOU DIE!!!"

Storm Dragon crashed into the solid bedrock outcrop with resounding thud, and the clang of bending armor. He was still conscious as his high grade protective plating had taken most of the impact but he was still stunned and lay there trying to gather himself. He never got the chance.

Crescent sliced through the air faster than he had ever gone before, the air seemed to bubble around him as it was pressurized in front of him by his ungodly speed fueled by a terrifying mixture of uncontrollable burning anger and adrenaline. less than half a second after Storm hit the earth Crescent slammed into him full force, cratering the surface of the outcropping and sending up a cloud of dust.

It was done he thought. He had him at last. He could end this war once and for all with one stroke of sword. As soon as he had some answers...

Crescent tore off his helmet revealing his identity to the monarch pinned beneath him.

"YOU!!! NO NO NO NO! IM SUPPOSED TO KILL YOU! NO NO NO NO!!!"

The frustrated storm dragon writhed and squirmed beneath his captor's hooves futily attempting escape. Crescent held fast and loose a wad of spit at his face.

"Shut up...listen to me...you are going to die, but not until after you answer my questions..."

"BUCK YOU! I'LL KILL YO-"

He was interrupted by a swift punch to the jaw knocking off his helmet. Crescent was exhausted, he couldnt hold him down forever and keeping his anger bottled was taking its toll on him. He put a hoof the the false king's throat.

"What happened to her...my love...my FELICITY! WHAT DID YOU DO TO HER!!! I KNOW YOU TOOK HER SOUL I KNOW YOU DID!!!"

Storm chuckled hoarsely through Crescent's grip on his throat.

"You'll see...*ack*"

"What in EQUESTRIA IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN YOU PILE OF SCUM!?!?"

Crescent smashed the young stallion's head against the ground once...twice...three times.

"ANSWER ME!!!"

"*sniff* *cough* release...*ack* subject 67..."

As Crescent smashed his head into the rocky ground again the ground began to rumble. At first Crescent thought he had broken the outcropping lose from the cliff side but his suspicions were false. The entire mountain was shaking...

"What...did you...do..."

Storm Dragon began cackling maniacally, his eyes rolling around and going small.

"hm hm hm hehe he haha HA! HAHA BAHAHAHA AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA! YOU WANTED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO STRAIT LACE'S DAUGHTER? WELL HERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!!"

unseen by Crescent and most of the armies, the side of the mountain began to slide away, gradually parting in two like massive gliding doors. The rumbling continued likean earthquake sending vibrations through the air causing many soldier to crash together...

...the ground shook even harder and there was a bloodcurdling shriek undercut by an impossibly deep roar as though two opposite creatures were locked in ferocious combat...

from the dark opening in the mountainside emerged a creature so unspeakably horrific, so mind-numbingly terrifying, so unimaginable hideous, that it defies all names and definitions.

Its proportions were similar to a hydra but there were nearly twice as many heads, and they faced in all directions. The tail was split halfway down into five different appendages and instead of just legs it had four massive dragon wings. Its hollow eyes, there were more than necessary, looked all around it as though looking through and at everything in sight. Its heads were not that of a hydra but of dragons with enlongated fangs. The creature was enormous ten times the size of the long extinct hydra and twice as ferocious. It loosed another undefinable cry from its 11 heads as it spread its unnatural wings and took flight towards the battle.

Crescent was in shock, he couldnt move, he couldnt speak, he stood there tears streaming down his face as he gazed at the unbelievable abomination of Storm's imagination that Felicity was now a part of. How could he free her spirit from that? He couldnt kill it not now, not ever. His hope was gone, his fire was gone, his will to fight his passion that anything could be done had ceased to be...

"no...you couldnt have..."

Storm Dragon face beaten and bleeding yet still smiling like he had won, took advantage of his captors distraction and whipped his short sword across his face leaving a deep slash from the top right of his fore head, between his eyes, and ending below his left eye.

Crescent threw himself back with a howl of pain and the deceitful monarch used his wings to launch himself out from under him. He hovered their out beyond the cliffside as Crescent held a hoof to his bleeding face.

"No you see dont you? Nopony will EVER DEFEAT THE GREAT STORM DRAGON EMPIRE!!! MY HYDRA DRAGON PONY HYBRID WILL DESTROY YOU AND THE REBELLION IN ONE FELL SWOOP.!!!!! HAHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!"

Crescent remained silent, something had to be done. He watched as Storm flew to meet his gargantuan devil chimera. He mustered what energy he had left grabbed his helm and launched himself skyward back into the fray of clashing metal and gnashing teeth. Claws splitting armor and swords slashing flesh. Crescent blasted through the ranks of the rebellion with one word.

RETREEEEAAAAT!!!!!

((did the Great Terror scare everypony away? I swear this always happens. Look shame on you all judging someone by their appearance. He just wanted to nit them sweaters and buy ice-cream for everypony :P ))

((toils over super huge post for an hour and a half to hold over the players with some awesome...no one is happy.

Im sorry if I kept you guys waiting, I know thatlast post didnt pertain to any of the parallel stories but it takes time to think of ideas and specifics. Please dont be mad at me :-( plus it had to be done to move the story along. ))

Draco could finally see the city after a long time of travel they were nearing the wolves had taken most of the city and smoke trails were visible he had spoken with Wilden and he was hoping the wolves knew better than kill everypony and by the goddesses so did he Nexi was still fine but every day she stayed unconscious her chances got worse. he prayed she would survive.

(Hehe, sorry, was busy yesterday, and the day before, Crescent had me held hostage at his house. :P)

Runner walked with Dawning, collecting some hay for the trip to Fillydelphia. It wasn't far from his hometown of Manehatten. He couldn't help but wonder how the city was doing now. He looked at Dawning. Whenever he did his thought were filled with happiness, yet he could tell she was hurting inside. This was no surprise considering they were at war.

"Well it looks like we have enough. I'll take whatever you've got, I seem to remember you had to be somewhere soon? You should probably get going."

He smiled as he sent her on her way, beginning to wonder where BlackHoof ran off to.

With a slight nod, she remembered Amy wanting to meet her in an hour. So she gently set down the hay she had gathered and gave Runner a weak smile.

"Oh, well then I guess I'll see you in a bit Runner... thank you..."

Without much thought, she moved forward and wrapped her hooves around his neck, resting her head on his shoulder in a hug. After a minute, she let him free and turned to trot away.

"Be back in a little bit..."

((and now for some REAL Dming))

Manehetten was in a panic. luckily thanks to the early warning of Gale and Shadow the civilian population had been relocated to within the citadel walls for their own protection. All was calm within the towering spire, there was worry but also faith that the fortress would hold and the ravaging wolves would pass them over. Ponies went about their business doing their best to ignore the sounds of war ,

however on the outside the streets pooled with the blood of green soldiers and young stallions. They were not prepared for a force that maneuvered like the wolves. So lithe and coordinated were their ranks that war machines served no purpose in this battle. By the time they were ready to fire the rampaging predators had already slaughtered the crew and moved on. the ferocity of the canines was unprecedented. Limbs lie everywhere and all that attempted to surrender lay dead without a throat. The sheer fear factor of 1000 wolves wrecking the streets was enough to send any army packing, and without unicorn magic the ponies stood no chance against them. Quickly what little of the militia was left, perhaps a few measly two hundred soldiers retreated to the citadel leaving the number of wolves killed in the tens, at least 70% percent of the Manehatten defenders had had fallen. At this point all they could do was pray for reinforcements or that by some miracle the wolves wouldnt try to starve them out, or find a way in.

While Crescent did his best to reorganize the rebellion into some form of retreat the dragon that Dunder had laid siege to with his small team of elite fighters was holding fast against their attacks. It landed a hard fisted claw into one member of his team sending him plummeting down to mountain below. the second to fall strayed to close to the beasts mouth and it loosed a white hot jet of flame cooking him is his armor. The dragon reacted harshly when a third fighter landed a flailing swing of his sword to its right armpit and another soldier hit the giant lizard's hind knee. It had flinched and swung blind at them both sending them scurrying away. The beast's eyes flashed with internal fire as it looked Dunder dead in the eyes. It released a fiery roar and beat its wings back, intending to impale him on a forward facing spike on its brow.

Back at the rebel Caravan a loud horn sounded signalling it was time to pack up and move again. Shortly after there was a brief rumbling in both the ground and air. Perhaps and earthquake or something.

((let me know if I forgot anything :) ))

Wilden was awestruck. Awestruck and angry. His own kind were burning Manehattan to the ground. Wilden could hear the screams of dying innocents under the howls of his army. He ran to the city with all the speed he could muster, abandoning the zebra and three Pegasi behind, his only goal being the death of whoever let this happen.

Quickclaw and Strongclaw were towering over their unconscious brother, bite marks covering him. His own brothers had attacked him, had beaten him until he was nearly dead. It took all of Wilden's strength to force himself not to lunge at the two remaining brothers.

"Wh- Why did you do this? What have you done? He was your brother!" Wilden let the confusion come out when he spoke, it was a chance to lead them into a false sense of security.

"He didn't agree with us, so we fought for dominance." Quickclaw started.

"We wanted all ponies dead, and he didn't." Strongclaw finished in his barbaric voice.

"So you attacked your brother, who was following my orders?" Wilden suddenly was much, much more angry with the two pack leaders, but part of his mind wasn't positive he could win. The rest of his body didn't care.

His vision went red, and he lost control.

Some time later, Wilden was standing above the corpses of the two former pack leaders without a scratch on him. Draco stood beside him, Nexi still unconscious on his back.

The two Pegasi had fled behind the walls of their keep after witnessing what Wilden could do, one of them looked like he had just peed himself.

After thanking Leafwind for agreeing to take care of Nexi and Longclaw, Wilden headed to the gates with Draco. The fire in the city was gone, and any citizens that had survived the massacre were safe, if horrified at what they had been through.

Longclaw and Quickclaw's corpses were dumped over the city walls to the ground below, not given the honor of a burial. They deserved that dishonor and more, but Wilden didn't want to break too many traditions in one night.

The gate was shut and sealed, every wolf in the pack working as one would not be able to break it down without wasting a considerable amount of time. Diplomacy was the only option.

"Survivors of Manehattan, we mean you no harm! Open your gates to us immediately or suffer the consequences!" A threat was not the best form of diplomacy, but it was all Wilden had.

The residents within the keep all stopped what they were doing when the deep growling voice of a wolf echoed over the walls of the fortress. Whatever they had been doing was put on immediate hold to discover what exactly was going on.

Midnight Blade (previously gale fury...shhh its a surprise) was the first pegasus to reach the top of the wall along with Shadow Streak.

"If you mean us no harm then mind you explain why our people were massacred indiscriminately! You burn our city, Kill civilians many that were foals and parents! And now you say you mean us no harm yet if we do not comply we will face consequences! You are a savage and I say leave! We can have pegasi dropping rations in here for months if need be, so you might as well move along. Storm Dragon has been informed of the situation and his main force will be here within the week! Leave or YOU will suffer the consequences!"

((you're gonna have to do better than that :/ ))