[Chapter 3 - No Land's End] Turning Tides and Mending Hearts

CrescentBlaze

((In light of recent posts I am coming off my rp vacation early to make sure you ponies dont run this thing into the ground, no offense but thats whats happening. Sev, Shy, Tyler is absolutely right. No more of this 1-2 sentence post bologna. Either make an effort to contribute or Im writing your character's out of the story simple as that. We dont need people half flanking it here. Step it up.))

Crescnt flared his wings and drew his curved falchion sword with a flourish as the dim sunlight shone through the clouds, glinting off the dark, near black silver plates over his face...

...It was time.

Every pegasi was in position. The main commanders at the center and the fiercest fliers the rebellion could offer stacked at the front. Crescents eyes narrowed...Now as the time, they could delay no longer. He extended his wings fully and shot them down violently, exploding off of the ground and tearing through the sky like a blade fired from a cannon. The two councilcolts cried out as Crescent rocketed off to lead the charge.

"FOR EQUESTRIA!!!"

"FOR GREAT JUSTICE!!!"

The sound of wings flapping was deafening as the force of twelve hundred pegasi roared in their battle cry as they threw themselves into the air in position behind Crescent and Dunder. They flew in a three dimensional cone formation low to the ground ready to puncture Storm Dragon's air force from below. The had no cloud cannons they had no mounts or monsters of war. They had hope and they had fire in their hearts. the passion for justice and righteous freedom burned in every soldier and they tore through the sky.

Crescent remained stoic as he cruised far ahead of the formation not even taking notice that he was leaving them behind in reckless abandon. There was no hope of stopping him however, his mind was an instrument of war now. Nothing existed but Crescent and his purpose; to destroy the enemy and take back what was his. Streaking through the atmosphere his eyes watered but he paid them no mind as the mountain range quickly approached...

A team of six dark blue pegasi careened through the air over the charred remains of the Everfree forest. Nearly a year after its decimation the stench of ash and death still hung heavy in the air and Gale Fury, squad leader of the Lightning Swords, was having trouble navigating in the smoky haze that perpetually darkened the dead wood. The Lightning Swords were an elite team of pegasi warriors specifically tailored to carry out special missions both public and covert. After the fall of the princess's of the sun and moon they had been instated as a replacement for the overly flamboyant and showy Wonderbolts, who had slowly lost their war time usefulness after eons of peace time. Trained to the highest standards of speed and lethality and armed with state of the art, light weight elemental swords and portable magic armor that deployed on demand, they were a force to be reckoned with.

Gale motioned for his team to perform a left bank towards their target, he was irritated beyond belief that Emperor Storm Dragon had insisted they not attend the battle where they would have been pleased to wet their blades with rebel blood, and had instead ordered them to retrieve a wayward experiment that may or may not compromise the information on the "Guardian factories".

As the team sliced the ashen mist they quickly came upon a small gathering of what to them appeared to be two ponies and a wolf. More than they bargained for. The clearing had come up faster than Gale had anticipated and Subject 6, despite never having received formal combat training, had the blood of a dragon which made him a dangerous feral combatant as it were.

The squad leader hit his the blue diamond on his penant and magical dark blue and black translucent ethereal plates of armor appeared floating a quarter inch off of various places on his body, giving him full weightless protection. He spoke confidently, perhaps too confidently, as his team mimicked him and activated their blades of flame, lightning, or pure magic, each having chosen either one element or the other

"Halt! All of you stay where you are! By order of hid supreme excellency Emperor Storm Dragon. Subject 6-"

He looked directly at Draco now.

"-you are to come with us quietly or be terminated immediately."

Draco gently laid Nexi Down as he looked at the unwelcome interruption in his journey.

"get out of my way.... is what i would have said if i didn't know better." he then stepped away from Nexi and Wilden not wanting them to be caught in the fight. "So im going to ask you something, Why Is the king after me? why now after all this time?" he asked maybe this over confident Pegasus would tell the "Poor freak" which is what they thought of him, he saw it on their faces.

(better? :l)

((thank you Sev! Sorry for what I said, but I was really tired of it. Also this will be on my iPod, so there will be no bolding))

The six Pegasi had snuck up on Wilden, even he wasn't prepared for an ambush from the air. The tone the one that looked to be their leader spoke told Wilden that they weren't lying. Draco, the obviously unconscious Nexi, and Wilden would all die should Wilden or Draco misspeak.

"Is it not obvious?" Wilden turned to Draco as he spoke, "you are a threat, and threats are meant to be removed before they become to big to put down." It was a guess, but it had to be a good one.

He turned to the six Pegasi, staring into the leader's angry eyes; this was duty to him, duty he hated. Either he knew Draco, which was unlikely since Draco seemed not to know him, or he wanted to be in a battle. The latter was likely and supported Longclaw's previous point, war had arrived. Wilden needed to find a way to use that against this Pegasi should his first few lies fail.

"I apologize, but this 'subject 6', or Draco, as I know him, is to be brought to the wolf pack leaders and executed for the destruction of one of my subject's packs." he was using the most civil voice a wolf had the ability to use, and hoped that the Pegasi would belive his lie.

Gale was not in the mood for juggling wordplay, he would much rather carve these refugees and their pet to pieces and be done with it but Storm Dragon would have all of their heads of they disobeyed a direct order, and Gale was far to loyal to his King to even think such things. He would have to deal with this directly and force them to do as he said.

"SHUT UP BEAST! I did not speak to you, and I dont give two horseapples about your primitive tribal nonsense. Subject 6 you are a threat to the security of Imperial intelligence and if you come quietly you will merely be imprisoned and your friends will not be hurt...much. If you dont do what we want we will kill you and your friends."

Gale practically spat out his exclamation in disgust. How dare a wolf try to reason with him. Foul monster that it was. The captain of the Lightning Swords squeezed the hilt of his weapon and a blade of blue flames erupted from the handle. He smiled devilishly as the firey shaft flickered before him menacingly. He strode forward carelessly waving his weapon slightly to intimidate the group.

"Personally I hope you go with option two. We're all feeling a little antsy since we dont get to be in today's battle. Isnt that right fillies and gentle colts?"

The spec ops team chuckle in response and a few smiled along with their leader ready for a slaughter. In all honesty many of them were apprehensive, none had faught wolves before and didnt know what to expect from them, but they had faith in their leader. He hadnt steered them wrong yet and his confident facade was inspiring enough to bolden their resolve.

((I was gonna stroke my ego until it exploded and make them the AeroBlades but then I was all. Nah Storm Dragon would want them to sound related to his name. ))

Draco watched this display of bravado go unfettered and at that moment knew that if he was to remain free that one was going to have to die, he also noticed a tenseness in the rest showing that they were slightly afraid and that their leader was the only reason they weren't on the verge of running.

"hmmph... how about you show me how dangerous you are a one-on-one me and you... you win i leave with you you lose well we'll see." he said in a show of cold confidence, in an attempt to draw the fool out.

Dawn awoke with a scream, her coat matted with dust and sweat. Quickly she covered her mouth with a hoof and looked around with distraught eyes.

That dream was terrible and she found herself on the verge of another mental breakdown... No... She didn't have that luxury, now of all times she needed to keep her cool. Or at least fake her cool well enough to get her job done. And besides, she'd rather not make anypony worry too much for her when they all should be focused on their own affairs.

Getting to her hooves hastily, she shook her head and cleaned her mane as best she could. She looked like a mess but at least she was back to a decent place. With a final glance at the scribbles in the sand from before, she turned and trotted back toward the camped out caravan, searching for Runner and Blackhoof.

Wilden's mouth numbly fell open at what Draco said. To say it shocked Wilden would be a severe understatement. The Pegasi didn't seem fooled, and two of them were looking to their leader for what Wilden guessed was permission to go crazy.

He had no choice, Wilden had to come up with an idea or get two innocents killed. Sadly, all his mind could come up with was telling the truth, which was worse than Draco threatening six very well armed Pegasi. Wilden went with it.

"You could capture Draco..." he paused for the sake of suspense. "... Or you could save Manehattan from being destroyed by my people." Externally, he held his gaze with the Pegasi. Internally he was howling with joy at the weak spot he found.

Amy stared at Dawning as she exited the caravan, wanting more than anything to help the poor girl. The negative part of her said to never let Dawning bunk near Amy again, but it was quickly silenced.

As Amy approached Dawning, she thought of what to say that would lead straight to the point. She settled with sarcasm.

"Remind me why I chose to sleep near you instead of in the peace of a private tent." Amy grinned as she spoke. On the inside, however, she felt for the poor mare. Amy herself was in horrid shape after Dunder left.

Dawning rubbed a hoof across her eyes, realizing they were probably still a bit red and puffy before forcing a chuckle. It took her a while to finally respond, and not really being the witty type, or being in a silly mood, she simply stated the facts bluntly, albeit with a few stammers and breaks in voice.

"Normally, I don't have b-bad dreams... Especially not that bad..."

Forcing a smile, she remembered how messy she was, and after blinking for a few moments she dropped her head.

"I look pathetic right now, don't I?"

Gale grinned in delight when the dragon pony challenged him to a duel. Feral instincts and razor wings or not Gale could surely outmatch him easily. He took a step forward and began hovering lifting his weapon and preparing himself to stomp this freak of nature.

"Ohoho you just made my day lizard boy."

Gale stopped on a bit at what Wilden said, it couldnt be. The wolves had survived the burning of the Everfree? And if so why hadnt they been tracked like everything else? Even if the packs had survived there was no way there were Able to bring down an entire Imperial city right? Manehatten had been barracadded with stone walls 8 feet high and 3 feet thick. All these questions and more swam through the brash captain's head before he came to the conclusion that the wolf must have been bluffing. Still it was never safe to take chances. He turned his attention to the wolf, whipping the white hot blade of fire around to stop just above his nose. He glared down the length of his weapon in outraged disbelief and his companions trained their weapons on Draco while their commander was distracted.

"What did you just say? Dog!?"

Dunder flew alongside Crescent. Nervous about fighting again. He was sure he would survive... but it was war.

Before he left, he gave a note to one of the ponies who was an earth blacksmith like Amy. It was to be given to her if Dunder was killed. He wrote it after Amy kissed his cheek, making it obvious that she had feelings for him. It said for her to forget about him as fast as she could, that he was dead and there was no reason for him to hold her back. He also left his life savings to her, for there was no other pony he knew that could use it better than her.

He couldn't stop thinking about her after they left. He had been silent and more solitary after leaving the main camp. The thought of uncertainty about the future was overwhelming him. The battle, Amy.... it was almost too much to bear. He knew there would be more battles and more chances of him to die.

Dunder knew that Crescent was going to be a bad commander and leave his soldiers behind like he said he would. Dunder stayed back in the fight, keeping orders coming as well as boosting morale for his soldiers with his valiant fighting. He knew that he was needed by his soldiers.

He was slaughtering enemies as his soldiers flew on, pushing the enemy back.

(You should seriously try to make decent posts...)

Runner was impressed at how quickly BlackHoof had set up their tents. He noticed their tent, which they shared, and it looked comfortable. It was your standard pitched tent, tan in color, and rose to a point at the top of the tent. Inside there were two cots set up on opposite ends of the tent. Each one had a small table to hold any personal possessions they had. The floor was covered by a thin rug. It was one of the few luxuries they had in the camp. The only reason they even had that was a result of Runner's close "friendship" with Dawning. Their tent was not far from Dawn's, which Runner was happy about. He figured he would let Dawn rest, he could talk to her in the morning.

"Nice work Black, now let's get to bed, we have to rise early."

Runner sat down on his cot, placing his necklace on the table. He laid down and shut his eyes. His mind giving way to his dreams as he drifted off into sleep.

He dreamed of many things. The first dream was of his escape from Manehatten. He had snuck out of the city at night, avoiding several guards along the way. He also dreamed of his sister. She was a unicorn, and he wasn't sure if she was even still alive. Considering what Storm Dragon had been known to do with unicorns, it was likely that she was sitting in some dungeon, her horn gone, and her body tortured. Finally he dreamed of himself. Of his future, and the chance that he might survive this war.

Runner was restless that night, the dreams would hardly let him sleep. However, he did his best to prepare himself for the next day, because he knew it would be tough.

When he finally awoke, the sun was rising over the horizon, and he could already he the sounds of the the camp gearing up for travel once again. He placed his necklace around his neck, and strapped on his knife. He washed his face before heading out of his tent.

He was ready for the day, eager to begin preparations for the journey. They had already come so far. As he trotted forward out of his tent, he jumped backwards as he nearly ran into Dawn.

"WOAH! Uh...hey Dawn, I didn't see you there."

The noise of Runner calling out in surprise made Dawning jump a bit as well, it took her a while to calm down though, still a bit on edge. Shaking her head and taking a deep breath she calmed herself.

"You really should keep on where you're going dear... I would hate getting scruffier then I already am..."

She took a few nips at her coat, pecking some random crap out as best as she could. She blinked, then started.

"Listen, Sorry about yesterday, leaving like that... I was... In a bad place, I guess..."

Amy was a bit frustrated that Dawning changed the subject, but let it slide. The mare deserved a break from the nightmares, and Runner was that break. The girl did need help, however, so Amy decided to give her a place and a time.

"Meet me here in one hour, alone." And with that, Amy headed to the council tent, praying for Dunder's safety.

((want a good background song to explain the tumultuous emotions going through crescent's mind in this post as well as his ferocious fighting? here you go! http://balloonparty....com/track/sleep ))

Crescent rocketed over the parched soil below, his blistering speed driving up a cone of dust behind him. It may very well have exposed him to any enemies that had made a line of sight, but at this point nothing mattered to the emotionally damaged pegasus. He careened up the incline at incredible speed dangerously close to the dry jagged surface of the mountain. At the base of the mountain his mind was empty save for what was necessary but as he climbed through the air pressed against the ragged , rock, formations thoughts began to creep through to the ever focused warrior, unfettered by his mental barriers. The first was of Felicity, her smiling face, her golden eyes, her soft mane, her gentle voice coaxing him to sleep. The second came as he neared the top, it was of that image becoming an unspeakable abomination.......Crescent lost himself.

"I WILL KILL YOOOOUUUU!!!!!.... RRRAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!!!"

The vengeful killer still focused on one morbid goal roared as he erupted at full speed over the top of the incline slamming into the belly of Storm Dragon's army. He decapitated the first soldier he met not even slowing down, crashing through their ranks at terrifying speed. Many soldiers tried to avoid him and were wise to do so, others fled in fear of the mysterious masked destroyer of legions. Crescent penetrated the massive force of 3000 pegasi like a careening silver and purple spear, slicing through their ranks like wet paper. Ranting in unbridled fury like a madpony as he tore through armor and cleaved soldiers in two.

Night Fire seemed to shine with a delighted glow as it was swung and stabbed through countless enemies. Crescent punctured out through the top of the conical formation of Empire fighters with as much speed and force as he had entered, bits of armor and severed limbs following his wake. He made for the center of the pack where he knew that corrupter of souls would lie waiting for an opportunity to unleash himself upon the rebellion's ranks. Crescent would not give him that chance...

Storm Dragon smiled and cackled maniacally as he took his first glace at the pitiful rebel air force.

"BAHAHA PATHETIC! DETROY THEM ALL!!!!"

The mad king drove his hooves into his horrible mount spurring the monstrous unicorn pony onward to the top of the formation where Storm could see every ounce of blood shed over the Goddess forsaken mountains. He calmly watched as his army bore down on the rebel forces, they had hit his army slightly off guard with the rouse of an attack into the center of his ranks from below, rendering his cloud cannons to dangerous to use. It did not worry him. His army was massive, his soldiers well equipped and his monsters hungry for blood.

A dragon roared deafeningly, scattering a squad of rebels but not before seizing one in its claws and tearing his head off in its massive jaws. As Storm reached the top of the cone of his troops he saw something peculiar and strained his perfect blue eyes to make out what it was. It almost seemed as though his soldiers at the forward top of the cone were fighting each other. At least that was what it looked like...

Storm forced his steed onward, the massive creature roaring and flapping its huge leathery wings as quickly as it could accelerating towards the pony-typhoon that was decimating his soldiers. He smiled manically, finaly he would have relief for what that Crescent's "pet" had done to his old friend, finally he would spill blood and make him submit, and beg like the dog he was! As soon as he dealt with this minor annoyance, that thorn in hos side would be forever gone.

Crescent looked through the mass of soldiers that was converging on him to see The Mad King himself slicing the air to meet him atop an new Unicorn Dragon. Crescent couldnt hold himself back he smashed through the soldiers between him and Storm Dragon head first receiving a cut on his shoulder from a sharp edge of a soldiers plate armor. He heard Felicity's voice in his head as he cried out against the pain both physical and emotion that he had worked so hard to keep from overwhelming him and failed

"Dont Forget me my love..."

It would all be over soon he thought now was the hour of Storm Dragon's demise, he was sure of it. Tears streamed back across his face as Crescent fought through the burning in his wings and heart. He bellowed one last time just as they came within range of each other...

"FELICITYYYYYY!!!!!!"

• Like 1

BlackHoof opened his eyes, the light ray streaming into the tent from the outside. He looked around darting his head back and fourth, stepping out of the cot har rolled onto the floor, to lazy to walk yet. The sound of runners voice brought him to his feet, looking around to were the tall pony was, but to no avail. When the tent flaps ruffled he opened it with his head as he walk out " uh, runner, what time is it, isn't it to early to be, you know...awake. "

What was Wilden doing undermining his plan! he was trying to help but still he had this. he just had to get him to fight. he flared his wings out showing his sharp deadly wings.

"Fight me unless you are a coward!" draco yelled "If you are let us pass!" if this worked it could also help the rebels.

With a hesitant nod, Dawn decided to show up back here in an hour, although she had no idea what on earth for...

"Don't worry! I'll be here!"

Swiveling at the voice of the small colt, she glared at the little pony with an edge of contempt, with a slight huff she responded

"It is a bit early, but we are in fact a war force, as odd as it seems, so you may want to get used to waking up a fairly... normal time"

She really should be a bit nicer but the little colt was still fresh in her memory for ruining her emotional moment with Runner, and despite her best efforts she had a rather hard time with the prospect of forgiving him so soon.

(Uguu, it's a bit short...sorry)

"Killer!" Wilden snarled as he looked to Draco, hoping that the Pegasus would calm. "Back down now or I will end you myself!" Wilden's threat almost sounded more realistic than the one from the night before, and he hoped that Draco would actually believe that the wolf meant to kill him.

He turned back to the six Pegasi, all of them now looking poised to strike. "You heard me. My people are less than a day away from Manehattan, and if what my scouts say is true, the city's only defenders are a bunch of green soldiers that have never truly fought in battle. How long do you think those great city walls will hold against over a thousand wolves?" He was now mocking the Pegasus in front of him, waiting for either a blind attack of rage or for him to head to Manehattan. To prevent the former, Wilden has one final thing to say.

"Remember that if the three of us don't make it to Manehattan alive, every pony, from Foal to great-grandparent, will feed the wolves."

He then turned around and walked away, motioning for Draco to do the same. The look of shock on their six faces said it all.

Wilden won.

((Sorry if I did some slight control on your character, Crescent. If I need to change it, just tell me))

((its fine Ty, it was all for the sake of bad***ery which is fine in my book, these guys arent the sharpest tools in the shed anyway, plus they are NPCs, abuse them how you will ;-) . They're more like a gang of punks and flashy fighters with some really awesome toys anyway.))

Gale was taken aback. He stood there with a dumb look on his face as his brain tried and failed several times to assess the situation, while his team stood there shuffling awkwardly waiting for orders. Finally the thought of Storm Dragon tearing him apart for incompetence kicked his sputtering mind into gear. Thinking on his hooves Gale Fury quickly whipped up a plan. To avoid a massacre, as there was no way manehatten could be held from a wolf army of that magnitude in its current position, he would have to ensure the safety of these three illegal refugees. He was sure once Storm Dragon was informed of the situation he would understand his decision and hopefully not kill him.

"Ok listen up team! Silver Thorn, Dagger Hoof, escort these three to Manehatten no questions asked. Got it."

The two bulky, nearly identical in their black flight suits, saluted and took aerial positions on either side of the group of three.

"Dark Bolt, Slip Stream, both of you report to the council in Las Pegasus. Inform them of the situation. Shadow Streak You and I will Fly for Manehatten to make sure the mares and little ones are protected and fortify the city."

Gale returned his attention to the strange group of wolf zebra and experiment.

"Listen here! Until you reach Manehatten you are under our protection as diplomats. However once you reach the city you are fair game! Lets go Shadow."

"Yes my Captain."

Gale took off with the mare, and also the only all black pegasus on the squad, the others did as they were told and went for Las Pegasus.

((those guard npc's are for you to deal with anyway you like though I would recommend leaving them alive...for now ;-)))

Draco could not believe that worked he was dumbstruck but not stupid he folded his wings picked up his cloak and resumed his duty of getting Nexi to Manehatten. he walked up to Wilden and in a harsh hushed tone said

"i think matters have now been complicated for all involved..." he then walked up to the two thugs that still were with them. "Alright guys unless you wanna help me, lets get a move on." he said as he walked past