Help!I need some tips and tricks for drawing ponies easily.

Bronynumber299

You'll need a scanner or a tablet. The best advice I can give you is start off small. Don't even draw a full on pony -- just focus on drawing the basic body shape, or maybe just hooves. Or just heads. Or just flanks. Use a reference. There are lots of visual guides out there.

Above everything else, practice! You have to draw a lot before you improve, so focus on drawing the shapes well first, then worry about details.

There's no magic way to "easily" draw anything -- there are tricks you can learn and use, but practice is the best and only way!

You'll need a scanner or a tablet. The best advice I can give you is start off small. Don't even draw a full on pony -- just focus on drawing the basic body shape, or maybe just hooves. Or just heads. Or just flanks. Use a reference. There are lots of visual guides out there.

Above everything else, practice! You have to draw a lot before you improve, so focus on drawing the shapes well first, then worry about details.

There's no magic way to "easily" draw anything -- there are tricks you can learn and use, but practice is the best and only way!

Thanks Rosie!

Buying a cheap tablet might be worth it for you. It will cost you about 20 bucks, and should show you if that's the medium for you. To be honest, mixing digital and traditional art is kind of advanced. You should try to stick with one of them and practice. A lot.

I browsed a few of those tips on drawing ponies. Somehow I'd like to get my sketching groove back. Lost it back when I was in college. I've been meaning to get a nice cheap tablet to start out. Any good brand suggestions? I know Wacom is good but even their entry model tablets are a bit pricey. Personally, I'm more comfortable with traditional pencil and paper but I know that I eventually have to move up to tablets.

Wacom unfortunately is the best choice. But there's also this tablet from a brand I never heard before. Seems cheap enough, but beware, it's probably cheap for a reason.

You can also take a chance and try to get a Wacom Graphire from eBay. I have one, it's 6 years old now and still going strong, haven't even needed to replace the pen.

Wacom is a great company to get a tablet from. Just be sure to use it on a flat surface and BE NICE TO YOUR USB CORD. I ended up damaging mine while I was drawing on my lap, thankfully the folks at Wacom were cool and sent me a replacement after I emailed a picture of my receipt and tablet cereal number.

My advice on getting better at drawing? Never stop drawing! If you just keep at it and don't stop, you'll be able to see yourself improve. I got to where I am now by throwing myself at the mercy of others and taking OC requests. I learn something from each piece of art I make and take that lesson with me to the next. Heck my DeviantArt page is like a timeline of Suck to Okay to Not half bad.

Also a fun training tool is sticky notes. Draw a ponies face on a sticky note and stick it somewhere, then move on to the next face. It's what I did before I went out and got my tablet.

Another good practice method is using what I call 'sketch skeletons'.

Draw the basic shapes (Head = circle with an X to define face position, Body= Jelly bean, front legs = curvey rectangles, Thighs = hams (teehee), back legs = off center curvy rectangles).

Then draw the details (this is the order I draw them) Snout/jaw, nostril(s), eyes, ears, horn(unicorns), hair, wings (pegusai), tail, cutie mark.

Did I mention to never stop drawing?

Along with practise and equipment, if you want to really evolve as an artist, you must find your identity. You need to find some signature within your work that will let anyone identify it as you, like the work of Yo****aka Amano, the original artist behind Final Fantasy. Check out his work, you will never forget his style.

Something that could help you is watching stuff but not just the show, it doesnt even have to be ponies, but when you see something you like doodle it and as you go on just keep adding as you can alwways rub out.

hope this hepls and good luck with your drawings