Charming Masquerade [Final]

Lilia

Roleplay Type: Mane

Name: Charming Masquerade

Sex: Male

Species: Unicorn

Eye Color: Golden Orange

Coat Color: Charcoal

Mane/Tail/Markings Color & Style: Long wavy mane and tail, black with a white streak down the middle

Physique: Semi-buff, mostly from his herb gathering ventures.

Cutie Mark: A bubbling cauldron

Origin/Residence:Trottingham

Motivation: Charming Masquerade likes to make other ponies feel better, and will go out of his way to aid the sick or the ponies under hexes by plants or more mean-spirited unicorns.

Likes: Healing the sick, staying in his apothecary, making potions

Dislikes: Mean ponies, going outside, being teased.

Character Summary: Charming Masquerade is the son of two rather stubborn Unicorns. He was raised with the thought that his parents did not take the time to notice him because they themselves were too busy trying to create something magical for the citizens of Trottingham. However, his parents did take note of what he did and where he went, often approving silently that their colt was doing the right thing. When he was in school, he was frequently the one being picked on for being a blank flank until the day one of his tormentors fell into a patch of poison joke. He recognized the symptoms when they couldn’t speak, noticing that whenever they tried to tease him, their mouth would shrink down to an impossible size then regrow when they stopped. He made the cure for them despite them teasing him until they realized that his cutie mark had appeared.

When he went home that day, his mother and father both happened to notice that he had acquired his cutie mark. They were happy that he had finally acheived something that they could notice and be proud of. During the next few years, he learned all that his parents knew about potions and herbs, locating new ones to test when he wasn’t being now carefully observed by either of his parents. He was glad they were now paying attention to him, however and is still living near them as he runs his own Apothecary. His mother has recently fallen ill and he is using any and all of his free time to make a potion to cure her. He is quite shy from his childhood of being teased and will not readily trust ponies that try to get to know him without an initial time for him to adjust to life with new patrons. He adores foals however, and will readily speak and play with them whenever any one of them comes into his shop to visit.

post-1033-0-44214500-1339523785_thumb.pn

A quick query with regards to something in the application...

While they were not pleased with the mark, they could not object to his desire to continue to learn what he could about both his herbal tracking magic and his potion making.

A cutie mark, regardless of what it might be, should be a relatively happy time for both foal and parents...the idea that the parents are unhappy with the cutie mark is an oddity for me, because I can't think of any real reason why parents wouldn't be happy in this situation.

so my essential question here is why would their foal finding their talent in life NOT be a situation that makes them initially happy?

He was raised with minimal attention to his comings and goings, causing him to be more attentive to himself rather than anypony around him.

As you say here, You draw attention to the fact that his overall comings and goings aren't noted, and yet his cutie mark is something that immediately gains their disapproval...which I suppose I mostly find to be an interesting and shift of their attention.

The rest of the application seems to be okay, I just wonder about this rather odd pattern of behaviour on the part of the parents themselves!