My Little Pony: FiM CUSTOM DVD Menu

kunio18

@ Dreamnotes:

I'm sorry, but what your saying is pure horseapples. It is not possible to encode 62 episodes in 1080p format in an 8.5gb space... if we completely forego the disc being able to be read in non-PCs, and we use the strongest compression available, we still wont get but probably 10% or less compression, but even if we got a jaw-dropping 50% compression ratio, we'd still have well over 20gb, which would not fit on a DVD. If you have some obscure encryption algorythum that can put ~40gb of data on an 8.5gb DVD then please tell me, I'd love to know about this!

• Like 1

@ Dreamnotes:

I'm sorry, but what your saying is pure horseapples. It is not possible to encode 62 episodes in 1080p format in an 8.5gb space... if we completely forego the disc being able to be read in non-PCs, and we use the strongest compression available, we still wont get but probably 10% or less compression, but even if we got a jaw-dropping 50% compression ratio, we'd still have well over 20gb, which would not fit on a DVD. If you have some obscure encryption algorythum that can put ~40gb of data on an 8.5gb DVD then please tell me, I'd love to know about this!

I think both points are true.

It IS almost impossible to pull all the episodes on one DVD, true.

However, if they wanted to, they could have had a 4/5 disc DVD which had the entire season.. (and/or had a bluray with 1 disc).

Hasbro couldn't fit all the episodes onto a single disc, yet they chose to go for an option which gets them more revenue than to choose an option that would provide a complete collection.

It's not like it really matters anyway.. 90% of us have the series downloaded on our computers.

@ Dreamnotes:

What I meant was when was the last time you could go out and buy a blank dvd that has less than 80gb of space on it. Answer is you can't anymore! What I was saying is that the industry isn't moving with the times, and there not going too. They make too much money off of it staying at the old 8.5gb only format. However, I still stand by my statement, with modern advancements in tech they could easily fit the entire first season on one dvd. And if you've been anywhere, where they sell the bootlegged movies, like Dubai or Bahrain, I've seen them easily fit 12+ full length movies on one dvd. Yes they were poor quality, but that's because they were bootlegged.

To end my statement, bootlegged videos....If your a U.S. citizen don't get them, if you do expect to have them confiscated when you head back to the U.S., other countries well I don't know what laws you have against them so I can't say.

What I meant was when was the last time you could go out and buy a blank dvd that has less than 80gb of space on it. Answer is you can't anymore! What I was saying is that the industry isn't moving with the times, and there not going too. They make too much money off of it staying at the old 8.5gb only format. However, I still stand by my statement, with modern advancements in tech they could easily fit the entire first season on one dvd. And if you've been anywhere, where they sell the bootlegged movies, like Dubai or Bahrain, I've seen them easily fit 12+ full length movies on one dvd. Yes they were poor quality, but that's because they were bootlegged.

To end my statement, bootlegged videos....If your a U.S. citizen don't get them, if you do expect to have them confiscated when you head back to the U.S., other countries well I don't know what laws you have against them so I can't say.

O_o Go back to computer science 101... a DVD holds 4.5gb of Data, a Dual-layer DVD holds ~8.5gb, the rarely-working Double-sided-dual-layer can cram in almost 18gb, and without specialized compression this is the limit of space.

Even a BD only holds 40gb, not 80 (well I suppose a double-sided BD could but I've not seen those avalible)

And yes, I already said if they dropped the quality low enough, like Q-VGA, they *might* cram them in there, but nobody in their right mind would want to watch them at that resolution, especially when most modern TVs are an average of 32" or larger and even the smaller ones are 1920x1080 resolution.

And for the "bootlegged" drives I suspect your thinking of next... those are 2gb drives that *think* they're larger but arent, it's no different to me selling you 10 sheets of paper and labeling it as 20 - there physically are not as many sectors as claimed, so they're nto really that big, it's just a lie.

I think both points are true.

It IS almost impossible to pull all the episodes on one DVD, true.

However, if they wanted to, they could have had a 4/5 disc DVD which had the entire season.. (and/or had a bluray with 1 disc).

Hasbro couldn't fit all the episodes onto a single disc, yet they chose to go for an option which gets them more revenue than to choose an option that would provide a complete collection.

This I agree with, and it is the opinion I have as well.

I think it would be rather easy for hasbro to expand their market to us bronies. All they would need to do is step up their toy quality just a bit: better painting, cutie marks on both sides(for the smaller ones), better materials, etc. Along with that, ship their toys to a more diverse selection of stores, and the income will easily outstrip the costs. I live in a major metropolitan area, and pony stuff is very scarce. At the very least that should change.

Also, I think hasbro is reluctant to change their marketing plan for A: aforementioned 'it works, dont change it', and B: They're afraid to change it, because in the time it could take to get everything finalized and rolling, for all they know, the adult pony fandom could dissappear. They may see bronies as nothing more than a fleeting fad, and dont want to risk time and money.

Amusing fact, iirc they're not *supposed* to have cutiemarks on both hips, that was an animation error from flipping a model instead of making a Left/Right specific one and the studio just kept rolling with it (No idea what Hasbro's official stance on the issue is --- and I could be wrong, I dont remember exactly where I read that)

Hasbro is going to wail till the bronies are gone to market to us, like the old saying goes "Regret lost opportunities later" somone, somewhere, will fill the gap for now, and eventually when hasbro decides to get off it's flank, they will have lost millions of dollars of merchandising that they were too scared to take a chance on (even if "taking a chance" just means tweaking their pony lineup (fewer "non-characters" and more background ponies) or raising the quality of the ponies already being made a notch.

Some of us are giveing up on the "collectors edition" Merch like quality statues from the series (will always regret not having a "Sonic Rainboom" statue for my shelf...) because we're facing reality, but we'd still buy more ponies if they were from the series instead of just random ideas that pop into Hasbro's heads.

Amusing fact, iirc they're not *supposed* to have cutiemarks on both hips, that was an animation error from flipping a model instead of making a Left/Right specific one and the studio just kept rolling with it (No idea what Hasbro's official stance on the issue is --- and I could be wrong, I dont remember exactly where I read that)

Hasbro is going to wail till the bronies are gone to market to us, like the old saying goes "Regret lost opportunities later" somone, somewhere, will fill the gap for now, and eventually when hasbro decides to get off it's flank, they will have lost millions of dollars of merchandising that they were too scared to take a chance on (even if "taking a chance" just means tweaking their pony lineup (fewer "non-characters" and more background ponies) or raising the quality of the ponies already being made a notch.

Some of us are giveing up on the "collectors edition" Merch like quality statues from the series (will always regret not having a "Sonic Rainboom" statue for my shelf...) because we're facing reality, but we'd still buy more ponies if they were from the series instead of just random ideas that pop into Hasbro's heads.

Hasbro will be aware of us, but I think they may be too scared that this is just a fad to invest in it heavily.

If they spent millions in new lines, merchandise and shows to please us for us to move on to something else, they're gonna have a bad time D:

Eh... I kind of doubt that. The cartoon versions of ponies have always had Cutie Marks (though not always called that) on both sides, but the toys seems to always have it on just one side.

I know Hasbro's business practices might be confusing and arcane, but I think the reason we haven't seen a toy line with a rise in quality/one sided cutie marks/etc. is because of cost. They're known for turning out cheap toys, and they would have to raise the prices of their toys in order to produce higher quality product. That extra cutie mark could add a lot of cost to the toy.

I think we will continue to see more externalized third-party production and marketing (in the same vein as WeLoveFine, Hot Topic, and other business venues) as we go on, but don't forget ComicCon is probably getting that Derpy toy exclusive, and the BG pony sets coming soon. Hasbro is definitely watching us and listening, so that detailed Berry Punch may not be too far off in the future! (I turned down a custom Berry Punch at MFF and I rue myself for it every day.)