My Little Pony: FiM CUSTOM DVD Menu

kunio18

This is what i always pictured and would want to see when it comes onto any form of DVD or Blu ray release, it fits 100% perfectly well with the instrumental version of the shows greatest songs and the background videos .

If only Hasbro or whomever they hire could be bothered to put this much effort into a DVD or Blu ray because i hear that "Friendship Express" DVD, it has horrible with short looping static menu's and pointless bonus features

ALL OF MY WANT !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfP4t96g7Gc&feature=player_embedded

I think they really dropped the ball on the DVD release -- except for the Australian box set, which is showing off how it should be done.

Think about it...With just two seasons and 5 episodes per release, that's 10 more DVDs you'll have to buy -- whenever they get around to releasing them.

I know it's designed to sell DVDs to parents with kids, but there really is a whole, huge, untapped potential market here that would go nuts for a DVD/Bluray/Special Edition box set release with lots of extras. The above video shows that if Hasbro won't do it, the fans probably will!

I think the problem is Hasbro refuses to actually acknowledge the bronies. By that I mean they refuse to acknowledge that the show has a teenage and adult fan base, not just a little kid fanbase, so they won't even attempt to properly market to teenagers and adults. So, in short, Hasbro themselves will probably never add things like you know extras, commentaries, anything that would make the dvd better. Though I do see why, I mean their only trying to market to little girls, little girls don't wanna see the extras, the commentaries, a mini-game, any sort of extra. Since their target audiance doesn't want to see it then the most logical move, in there lack of logic that is seen here, is to just not waist the money and put out a dvd that only has the cartoon and nothing more.

• Like 1

I don't really think Hasbro's refusing to acknowledge the bronies; I was watching a stream about the upcoming brony documentary with John de Lancie and Lauren Faust was guest speaker, I can't quote her exactly but I'm pretty certain she mentioned about talking to Hasbro executives and saying that they're very much in favor of bronies...or like and acknowledge them to some degree.

But then again, yeah, at the core of it they are a business and business' and since their key demographic is little girls I can see why they feel the need to release so many DVDs for just two seasons...but yeah, it does seem a bit much with this whole untapped potential of the fandom :/

Then again I haven't really looked into the DVD situation much, given that I still haven't found any over here -.- So I still might be off on a few details but it does look like they've dropped the ball. :P

I understand them releasing so many dvd's, almost ever single cartoon serious does it, and has been doing since the days of VHS. They'll go put as few episodes as possible onto the dvd, and release that. It'll be a while before we get a complete season dvd set with extras and commentaries, and all the bells and whistles we want.

In the end it all comes down to this. Back in the day, it was a good business move, and they'll continue to do this until it stops making them money.

Now I'll go back to drooling over the idea of what we see above, might actually turn into reality someday.

I think they really dropped the ball on the DVD release -- except for the Australian box set, which is showing off how it should be done.

Think about it...With just two seasons and 5 episodes per release, that's 10 more DVDs you'll have to buy -- whenever they get around to releasing them.

I know it's designed to sell DVDs to parents with kids, but there really is a whole, huge, untapped potential market here that would go nuts for a DVD/Bluray/Special Edition box set release with lots of extras. The above video shows that if Hasbro won't do it, the fans probably will!

i agree i highly think that the fans in the end will be the ones creating the DVD and Blu-rays with full episodes to the seasons with all the special features added that are necessary.

Hasbro seems to have very hands off approach to bronies. They know about them but neither try to entice them with quality toys or goes against the merchandise made by the community.

Its odd because you would think Hasbro could make a killing with some good plushes from both fanbases

Hasbro need to acknowledge the Bronies and the ultimate fan base following sooner or later, with us combined there will be no stopping us, we would make some killer sales together with the amount of stuff produced

I think the problem is Hasbro refuses to actually acknowledge the bronies. By that I mean they refuse to acknowledge that the show has a teenage and adult fan base, not just a little kid fanbase, so they won't even attempt to properly market to teenagers and adults. So, in short, Hasbro themselves will probably never add things like you know extras, commentaries, anything that would make the dvd better. Though I do see why, I mean their only trying to market to little girls, little girls don't wanna see the extras, the commentaries, a mini-game, any sort of extra. Since their target audiance doesn't want to see it then the most logical move, in there lack of logic that is seen here, is to just not waist the money and put out a dvd that only has the cartoon and nothing more.

I think Hasbro has acknowledged its surprise fan base -- it's just not sure what to do about it. We've seen their support with stuff like allowing cons, third party content and marketing (welovefine, hot topic), as well as light retribution against the remix culture, the production of better G4 toys, the upcoming Derpy figure for ComicCon...the list goes on. This is just one area where they'd do better to embrace both audiences at once. Who's to say what little girls want or don't want -- they might like and appreciate the extras -- as well as their parents and families. FiM is for everyone -- it has transcended its target audience, and while its focus must be them first and foremost, I think they would do well to produce merch for everyone that enjoys what FiM has to offer.

• Like 1

I don't they should market toward bronies, honestly. Sure, it'd be a "money opportunity", but it would cause a lot of problems since we aren't the target audience.

I agree, I think that they are well aware of the bronie fanbase but are keeping their target audience the same. They shouldn't try too hard to fix what isn't broken. Besides when companies take the "money opportunity" it rarely comes out better...

So our Fandom is creating DVD menus?

This is but a step towards the quality, Fan-Made, FiM movie that was spoken of in the prophecy.

In all seriousness, I understand and accept that we aren't the target audience, but they should at least make a good menu without static and good music for the little girls to listen to while they search the house for the remote control that is never there to start the darn show.

As Always, I'm on the side of "They should "widen" but not "change" their scope". As mentioned above there *IS* a market for DVDs/BDs with Commentary and such, and audio doesnt take up that much space, with DVDs being region-set, they could drop an extra language and add an audio track.

But I'm expecting, first at least, there to be a slew of "Theme Packs" purely for the little girls, and I'd bet $$$ on there being more than the minimum... (26x3=78, 78/5) ~8 DVDs... I'm sure there will be some repeats done on purpose to make the count higher for the kids to scream "NEW PONY DVD! I WANT IT! I WANT IT!!!" even though they have already seen at least 1 of the episodes on it...

As for Full Seasons... I'm expecting at BEST it will be after the series ends (likely after a year or two to try and "rekindle interest" and make a 2nd 'boom' on the franchise) At worst it will be 5-10 years from now when most of us barely remember FiM and Hasbro is basically randomly pulling names out of a hat to decide what series to release on DVD, likely without the entire series (Ala Disney's 80s/90s cartoon series)

The big question is what will happen to the DVD bootleggers who make the much-wanted "Season Packs"? And even now, there's an official Season 1 box set in Australia (I think), so who's to say how long fans will wait before just hacking their DVD players and buying the Aussie set instead of waiting for an american release?

I agree, I think that they are well aware of the bronie fanbase but are keeping their target audience the same. They shouldn't try too hard to fix what isn't broken. Besides when companies take the "money opportunity" it rarely comes out better...

Thank you for agreeing!

I don't they should market toward bronies, honestly. Sure, it'd be a "money opportunity", but it would cause a lot of problems since we aren't the target audience.

Who says they should market to bronies, specifically? I think Hasbro should market to everyone -- not just kids, not just bronies, but everyone that enjoys FiM.

Who says they should market to bronies, specifically? I think Hasbro should market to everyone -- not just kids, not just bronies, but everyone that enjoys FiM.

that's a pretty wide market... Its a hard thing to try and please so many different audiences at once.

that's a pretty wide market... Its a hard thing to try and please so many different audiences at once.

If you think about it, the audience is already there. They're going to be pleased with whatever you do, and buy whatever you make, so why not go for the awesome box set? Why not make both the singles for parents that want a cheap distraction for their kids, and a set for enthusiasts and appreciators of the series? I'd love to throw my money at it, but I'm certainly not throwing my money at 10+ (add another 5 if we're counting a full season 3) separate disc purchases getting released who knows when of episodes I already have (in HD) from elsewhere. Those extras would make the sale!

id totally would love to see a blu ray box set release with all the extra special added features, then id t shut up and throw my money at Hasbro.

i do think that is pointless thought releasing like 5 episodes for 1 season on 1 disk, thats just a money grab opportunity, why not put all the eps from the season on it instead ....

i do think that is pointless thought releasing like 5 episodes for 1 season on 1 disk, thats just a money grab opportunity, why not put all the eps from the season on it instead ....

...because there is no conceivable way to physically fit that many episodes onto 1 disc... at least not with any kind of quality... your looking at something like 40gb of data going onto a medium that only holds 8gb at it's best... I suppose if you wanted to drop down to SD and only have the op/ed on there 1 time, with zero extra features, zero extra languages, and a static menu with no sound, then you *might* squeeze all of S1 onto 1 disc... but that's still a tight fit...

With modern advancements in DVD tech, you can easily fit all the episodes and extra features on a single DVD...... The thing to remember though is, wait for it, wait for it, they want to make money. If they sell the dvds at $10+ per and 5 episodes per dvd season one alone would get them about $50, then later in say a year or 2 maybe a little more, once everyone that's going to buy the dvd's buy them, they then release the complete first season, and that'll get them anywhere from $30-40...... Then everyone buys the complete first season, why cause it'll be the one that has the extras. Tada money making magic as performed by most the entertainment industry.

And the answer to that is the same as the answer to the other 99 questions...... Money. Facts are facts, every blu-ray player out there can play dvds, every video game console on the market can play dvds, and every computer that has been released in the last, at least 7 years can play dvd (I'm pretty sure it's been longer than that too), finally to top it all off a blank dvd disc is dirty cheap, where as blu-ray discs. Not so much, now once they do like the complete season or complete serious might see it on blu-ray, but until then I'd be amazed if they did it. I'd buy it, but I'd be in shock while I did.