Just got an email from Madman Entertainment about My Little Pony

Dash91

you will have to tell me if you can make heads or tails of it... (Firefox is Ponyfied)

Thanks for your email. We find that any duration 110 minutes is lost on most foals and so we have decided to limit releases to around 5 x 22 minutes. This is pretty common for foals’s DVDs. Obviously MLP FiM is a unique proposition and we are trying to balance the needs new fans of MLP and the core audience; hopefully initiatives such as the collector’s box go some to way to appeasing older fans of the show.

Thanks again,

Hugh

now i cant make heads or tails of this because i have nieces & Nephews, that can watch the same tv show (Phineas & Ferb) for 7+hours straight, Let me know what you think

So they're doing the box set AND doing single releases of 5-episode discs, or just the singles?

If it's the former, good. Smart business. If it's the latter, that really sucks.

I'd love to have a HD disc box set of pony filled with extras, and would happily pay to get it, even though I already have the episodes through other means.

I don't need physical copies, but I understand the need, not least because not everyone can buy on iTunes. Or Whatever.

More access is good.

I can totally buy on iTunes, I just hate iTunes. Not only that, but technically you never own anything, whether you are buying a physical copy or a digital copy (you are technically purchasing personal licensing fees, which can be revoked by the copyright holder at anytime). The difference? Digital they can remove your access remotely. Physical they can't do anything unless they march into your house and take your discs away from you.

I'm always a fan of physical media.

I've explained this to one of my Brony friends in high school, and I'll always state this as the reason:

We WILL NOT get a U.S. release of an FiM box-set because of the fact that Hasbro and its DVD distributors are too afraid to test the market so riskily.

Remember that even being a HUGE fandom, we have to remember that we are still the MINOR audience. The UNINTENDED audience. We were NOT MEANT to be accommodated.

Because of this, Hasbro and DVD manufacturers won't be too quick to decide on making a box-set. This is because they risk alienating the TARGET DEMOGRAPHIC and taking a huge risk with the secondary audience. We like to imagine we're the bigger catch money-wise, but we all have to remember that we are OUTNUMBERED when it comes to demographic. We can't compete numberwise, which means that they will only primarily aim for the real audience that was intended.

As Madman Entertainment has stated, parents will not buy a huge box-set for their children. That's why Shout Factory is making these 5-episode DVDs, because no parent will take a quick look at it and decide to get a collector-style box-set for their 5 year-old children.

It's just a simple fact that the fandom needs to accept: Until we can prove we're a more profitable demographic than children, we won't be getting a box-set any time soon...

...however, I DO want a box-set... :scream:

I don't need physical copies, but I understand the need, not least because not everyone can buy on iTunes. Or Whatever.

More access is good.

This, but also, this:

Remember that even being a HUGE fandom, we have to remember that we are still the MINOR audience. The UNINTENDED audience. We were NOT MEANT to be accommodated.

We need to wise up and realize that unless Hasbro can make something that appeals to the kiddies AS WELL as us, (like some of the BG ponies or white celestia toys) then we will never get it unless it's so cheep it's charity (i.e. the comicon poster) Those of you who expect anything collectible need to come to the realization that the rest of us have - it ain't gonna happen (unless the fans make it)

I've explained this to one of my Brony friends in high school, and I'll always state this as the reason:

We WILL NOT get a U.S. release of an FiM box-set because of the fact that Hasbro and its DVD distributors are too afraid to test the market so riskily.

Because of this, Hasbro and DVD manufacturers won't be too quick to decide on making a box-set. This is because they risk alienating the TARGET DEMOGRAPHIC and taking a huge risk with the secondary audience. We like to imagine we're the bigger catch money-wise, but we all have to remember that we are OUTNUMBERED when it comes to demographic. We can't compete numberwise, which means that they will only primarily aim for the real audience that was intended.

As Madman Entertainment has stated, parents will not buy a huge box-set for their children. That's why Shout Factory is making these 5-episode DVDs, because no parent will take a quick look at it and decide to get a collector-style box-set for their 5 year-old children.

It's just a simple fact that the fandom needs to accept: Until we can prove we're a more profitable demographic than children, we won't be getting a box-set any time soon...

...however, I DO want a box-set... :scream:

How have we not proven we are a profitable demographic. We made fim#1 on Netflix. We bought the episodes on iTunes. We buy the toys. We spend hundreds on custom plush toys. What more do they want from us?

It's fine that they are weary, but people will buy. The target will buy not now, but wharf they are old enough to have nostalgia

^We haven't proven ourselves yet because WE HAVEN'T PROVEN OURSELVES PROFITABLE.

Think about it, what do businesses care most about? What's their mindset 99.9% of the time?

This, perhaps:

Hasbro has been EXTREMELY kind in giving us fan service, Brony-inspired work, material, etc. However, if a box-set is made, they'll only be appealing to the SECONDARY DEMOGRAPHIC. That's like shooting themselves in the foot. DVDs IN GENERAL are expensive to make, let alone thousands-millions. Sure, we can make them money, but what Hasbro can't trust is that we can EARN IT BACK for them. If they spend time and money on this, they risk alienating the target demographic and marketing it towards a smaller demographic.

I don't know what everyone knows about business, but dodging the main demographic for the secondary is an AWFUL business strategy, and an executive can get FIRED for those kinds of ideas. I kid you not.

I know we all wish we could have a box-set, and I know that we believe that we can provide money in return for this kind of box-set. However, reality needs to dawn on plenty of Bronies. While we've contributed largely to the show, and supported this show, and given Hasbro unprecedented popularity...they CANNOT provide anything mainly-marketed towards us, the secondary demographic.

It's business, nothing more. Hasbro will only provide material catering to us only if they're ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY PERCENT SURE that it will get them money from both us and the target demographic. A box-set, unless kid-friendly, WILL NOT fit their priorities.

I love this idea...but unless the executives at Hasbro become braindead or fans cook up a homemade box-set and are SOMEHOW able to sell it legally, we won't be seeing a box-set...

I can understand not making a profit, but how does a box set alienate the younger audience?

Also, the fact that we buy custom unlicensed products is not a point in our favor.

Intended audience or not, what percentage of the total audience are we? I have no idea if it is 1% or 25%. Of all the official stuff bought, what percent is us? Some of you seem to think we are insignificant, and some that we are highly significant.

I can understand not making a profit, but how does a box set alienate the younger audience?

Also, the fact that we buy custom unlicensed products is not a point in our favor.

Intended audience or not, what percentage of the total audience are we? I have no idea if it is 1% or 25%. Of all the official stuff bought, what percent is us? Some of you seem to think we are insignificant, and some that we are highly significant.

Well, think of it this way:

There are approximately...let's say...a couple hundred thousand Bronies.

Now, there are 300 MILLION PEOPLE in the United States. Factoring that, we are still a SMALL SMALL SMALL percentage of this nation's population.

Infer that half of that are female, and that half of THAT is female children. That's still 75 million.

Comparing demographics, we are a couple hundred thousand to tens of millions of POSSIBLE parts of the female child demographic. Out of 75 million, there's a good portion that is ripe for the picking for Hasbro.

When you do the numbers, we don't size up well. It doesn't matter how much money that we throw at documentaries, petitions, unofficial merchandise, etc. What matters to them are those 75 MILLION cashcows that are ripe for milking.

I'm simply thinking about this from a business perspective. All things considered, Hasbro would be LOSING money unless EVERY SINGLE BRONY bought 3-4 copies of this box-set...

All things considered, the 5-episode DVDs just cater better financially and demographically. It guarantees Hasbro to be payed back from the main demographic, and guarantees we'll pitch-in too. Just look at what the "Friendship Express" and "A Canterlot Wedding" are racking up!

It's cheaper, money-making, and catering to all audience.

I love you Thoth, but I don't think the numbers you're throwing out give any accurate representation of the profitability for marketing specifically to the brony group, or of Hasbro's cost and business model. The simple fact is we don't know what Hasbro is doing, or what it would cost them to market directly to us -- hence we're seeing more third-party product development and distribution in venues such as HotTopic and WeLoveFine, as well as Madman's production of a box set.

That solid fact alone proves that real, physical product is being made with our audience in mind -- and it would not be done if it wasn't considered profitable. The game isn't over yet. If anything, I think it's just beginning. I would sit tight on too much speculation, especially when numbers are involved with no real data to back them up. :20:

• Like 2

You are comparing actual bronies to potential young girls? Well, ignoring that, THIS page says there were 10 million girls from 5-9 in the united states in 2010. Compared to about 20 million males ages 20-30. I think it is clear that we cannot predict Hasbro's actions based on potential fans. I want to know what is real. But given that we don't have that information, lets not conjecture wildly.

Do you know what the break-even point on DVD sales is? You think it is half a million units? That doesn't sound right.

It wouldn't surprise me to hear form Hasbro that a DVD product only Bronies would buy wouldn't break even. True or not I don't care. But again, why would a box set of MLP alienate the the target market?

^^Hey, woah! I'm already in a committed relationship, Rosewind... :lol:

Like I said, I'm making simple assumptions. The way I'm seeing it, and the way Shout Factory has explained, Hasbro doesn't seem to see us as a profitable demographic, or rather AS MARKETABLE as the main demographic.

It's a strange puzzle indeed. I simply want all the episodes on DVD. Forget a box-set, just get the whole series out on DVD, Hasbro... :wail:

Regarding what you keep asking, Weesh, Hasbro would alienate the main demographic if they did this because, let's be frank, no little kid would want a huge collector's box-set.

Let's be realistic for a moment, and think a scenario:

You're a parent. Doesn't matter if a father or mother. You little daughter watches My Little Pony. Now, you have the choice between a HUGE, collector's set, or a small DVD. Of course, being a parent in these tough economic times and thinking that your child would lose interest with so much on a single purchase, it'd seem like a waste.

The fact is, a box-set has NO purpose to anyone outside the Brony fandom. We love the show, and we want big, 5-disc boxes with Extras and all the bells and whistles. While I'd love that, the fact is that kids WILL NOT. You tell me if you enjoyed listening to commentary or interviews as a child for movies. Heck no! You wanted to watch the movie! Not only that, but with kids' attention spans in general, and especially NOW, they'd lost interest fast, and parents KNOW THIS. That's why the smaller DVDs are made, so they're cheap buys, cheaper to make for Hasbro, and sell easier.

If you try and sell a box-set, parents won't be interested because, with 52 episodes AS OF NOW for the show, that will not only be expensive, but parents won't see it keeping their kid's attention! As a kid, I would watch 4-5 episodes of Ed, Edd, n Eddy on DVD before I got bored. Now I love it, but that's the point. We're only thinking FOR OURSELVES in this situation.

The alienation comes from the fact that if they did this, they'd be aiming away from the target demographic by marketing a collector's box, something that no parent or child will be interested in, and aiming towards the secondary demographic. While that's a fine idea, they can't be sure if it's profitable.

Yes, we know it'd be great. However, Hasbro CANNOT be guaranteed that. Corporations rarely ever take a dive in an attempt to sell something. While I'd love a box-set, I can't see Hasbro taking that risk.

Even if WE KNOW we can provide money in return, Hasbro doesn't. Unless you've got a miracle of a way to prove it to them, we'll have to wait until the show ends for any legitimate, U.S. box-set (Kind of like Invader Zim's life after cancellation).

The absolutes and logic you are using seem a bit silly. You do not sound like you can see from a parent's perspective.

You're a parent. Doesn't matter if a father or mother. You little daughter watches My Little Pony. Now, you have the choice between a HUGE, collector's set, or a small DVD. Of course, being a parent in these tough economic times and thinking that your child would lose interest with so much on a single purchase, it'd seem like a waste.

It is actually a phenomenal deal. Could be 50+ hours of peace per season. Even those in a bad financial shape would consider that a deal. Not so good as buying "Cars" by Pixar perhaps. I keep hearing parents tell me that they have gotten 60+ watches out of that from some of their kids and that they had to buy a second copy because the first was too scratched.

The fact is, a box-set has NO purpose to anyone outside the Brony fandom. We love the show, and we want big, 5-disc boxes with Extras and all the bells and whistles. While I'd love that, the fact is that kids WILL NOT.

It is strange that you expect every part of a product to appeal to everyone. The episodes appeal to everyone and the episodes are the main selling point. The cool thing about special features is that they don't all have to be for everyone. I didn't get angry when I got to the kid section of "the princess bride" DVD and realized it was lame. No, I just moved on.

The alienation comes from the fact that if they did this, they'd be aiming away from the target demographic by marketing a collector's box, something that no parent or child will be interested in, and aiming towards the secondary demographic. While that's a fine idea, they can't be sure if it's profitable.

None? I know 5 people. And no one can reasonably be offended when a product is launched just because they are not interested in it. If I could be, I would be angry at the makers of my favorite game (magic) because I disinterested in all their other games, I dislike most of their magic related products, two-fifths of the colors, and 14 out of every 15 cards in a pack. But you know what? They have a few things that exactly what I want. Those are what I put $500 into over the last 3 years.

Everybody is different, so while one kid might not prefer a box set for the extras, another might want it more than a single DVD. Also, parents have different budgets as well, even with the rough economy.

FiM is for everyone. I'm not sure what the real market reaction would be to a box set, but I think it would be a positive thing and a hot seller (especially if we're comparing it to the success of the single DVD release) -- not to mention a deal. Even if it was $90, it would cost less than buying all the DVDs in singles that would be required to obtain the first two seasons alone.

Friendship Express costs $15. It would take 10.5 DVDs to ship out all the currently released episodes at 5 episodes per disc. If the other releases remain at that price point, owning the discs will cost you $156 -- and we're not even talking about Season 3. There's also the slow and staggered release timeline we're looking at. Just for the sake of expediting the episodes, a box set really would be preferable.

Those are real numbers with physical data to back them up. Anything else really is just speculation, as the variables are numerous and there's plenty of information we don't know, or have any real way of knowing.

Honestly, Hasbro just can't take that big of a risk. It's a risk we know that will work out, but I'm sure it involves a ton of research, perhaps ten times the amount we're putting into it.

I'm just making assumptions based on POSSIBLE variables. I mean, they could be completely parallel. As far as I know, the cheapness factor for both sides, for Hasbro and parents, is more appealing to everyone. That seems to be the point that sticks out the most to me.

Still...I suppose anything can happen. We've created a character that's turned into a full-fledged, speaking role two seasons-in... :smirk: