A Snowy Retreat (Elderflower, PM to join)

IceStorm

[colour=#000080]It was a bitter cold evening in Canterlot Castle Park. For anypony else that may have been a problem, but for Ice Storm, she loved the cold weather. What she didn't like was the fact that she had forgotten about the planned blizzard today when she had went to the park for a quick afternoon nap. When she woke up, she was on the tallest hill outside from the farthest exit. [/colour][colour=#008080]"Oh pony feathers. Nothing anywhere close,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she spoke to herself as she began to look around the park. The only issue was the fact that she couldn't see anything. The winds were constantly blowing into her face, and even making a pair of goggles out of Ice didn't really work as the snow kept sticking to the front of them. Instead she just made some blinders so that she could at least see in front of her.[/colour]

[colour=#000080]Looking around now that she could somewhat see, it only further proved to her that she was no where near the park exit. Of course, with the current visibility, it was very likely for her to get even more lost than she was. Normally, she could find her way out of here blind-folded. However, with the weather and how disoriented she was at the moment, the only thing she was, was confused. She then spotted a bench through the snow and she saw the castle. Hmm... if I can get to the castle... I'll be able to regain my bearings and get back to the hotel, she thought to herself. She just needed to get to the door and find the path on the left and follow it to the exit.[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

kaiwY1S.png

[colour=#6666ff]

[/colour]There was something to be said about the cold. Though bitter and lonely at times, it had the ability to pull ponies together and seek warmth in each other’s’ company. And for Luna, it also brought with it a certain clarity of the mind, a state in which she did her best thinking and when she could slip her consciousness into the ever-flowing streams of the æther around her with the greatest ease. In the crisp, chilly temperatures the warm and undulating currents of arcana seemed to shine the brightest, beckoning those of magical prowess to them like fiery beacons in the night. So the Guardian of Dreams had decided to go for an evening stroll in a blizzard!

Perhaps it seemed like an odd thing to do, but Luna admitted to a certain fondness for the cold and the snow. Especially in Canterlot, where streetlamps shone and the innate presence of magic (for Luna at least) flickered against the crystalline surfaces of the snowflakes, the beauty of winter snows seemed to mimic that of the celestial body of the night. It felt like a good way to spend her evening – she could appreciate the muted beauty of Canterlot buried beneath fluffy layers of snow and perform her duties within the dreamscape as well! What bliss!

The wind, however, was becoming a bit of a nuisance. It whipped her ethereal mane and tail in every which way, splaying them outwards and upwards and all around so that it looked as though the night sky were hanging above her. Luna gripped her cloak with the gentle touch of her powder blue magic and secured her hood a little more tightly over her head, hoping to keep her mane contained at the very list.

The Princess hadn’t made it very far out of the castle, however, when something interrupted her contemplation as she sifted through the dreams of the ponies of Equestria. A little blue figure seemed to be lost in the blizzard – a unicorn mare! For Luna, being trapped out in this weather wasn’t terribly dangerous. She had placed a warming charm on her cloak, and truth be told she was a little more resilient to the weather than the average pony. For the wandering mare, however, it would be easy to catch cold – or worse! – in this sort of storm. Whatever was she doing out in the cold?

With one hoof still in the æther and attending to the dreamscape, Luna approached the curious character and lifted her cloak from her own back magically. As soon as the warm fabric was removed from her, the sharp nip of the cold began to tingle across her back – what nasty weather for a little pony!

With a tight little frown of concern upon her face, Luna dropped the cloak unceremoniously upon the mare so that the magical warmth could sink into her bones and turned back towards the castle once more.

“Follow me,” she said simply, and began to trace her hoofsteps backwards. So much for a stroll in the evening’s blizzard![colour=#6666ff]

​[/colour]

[colour=#000080]The fact that Ice Storm couldn't see unnerved her. As much as she loved the cold and the snow, she hated being lost in the cold and the snow. The fact that she felt more comfortable in colder temperatures than others didn't make extreme cold any less dangerous for her. In fact, this was quite the opposite actually. The fact that she was so happy in the cold meant that she could be injured in the cold without realizing it. This opened her up as an easy target for frostbite or other cold-related injuries. She looked around and she could still only barely see the castle, and at the moment, she couldn't tell how far away he was as the snow was getting harder and harder. [/colour][colour=#008080]"This is ridiculous... I can't see anything..."[/colour][colour=#000080] she said to herself. [/colour]

[colour=#000080]After a few moments though, the wind changed directions and began blowing the snow back into her face. Her vision was now completely inhibited to the point to where she was virtually blind. She couldn't even see the princess of the night begin to approach her until she felt a cloak land over the top of her. She was spooked at first because she couldn't see what had happened, but when she looked up and saw Luna. Any other time she would have been jumping for joy that her idol was right in front of her, but right now she was more relieved than anything. She began to follow the princess back to the Castle as she was instructed to do so.[/colour][colour=#008080] "Thank you..." [/colour][colour=#000080]she said as she followed her all the way up to the castle door. [/colour]

• 3 weeks later...

kaiwY1S.png

[colour=#6666ff]

[/colour]Navigating through the blizzard was quite easy for Luna, and it wasn’t long before she had led the unicorn mare through the biting, wintry winds and into the safety of the castle, finally opening one of the side doors with her periwinkle ætheric touch and ushering her in. The Princess closed the door behind them and, after a quick scan of the surroundings, noticed one of the serving staff balancing clean dishes in the air with yellow magic.

“Excuse me,” the Princess spoke, giving the unicorn she had pulled from the blizzard a moment to collect herself, “Would you please bring hot cocoa and some warm seed cakes and biscuits with butter to the cozy lounge in the north wing once you are finished with the task at hoof?”

The stallion bobbed his head enthusiastically in response and took off with a spring in his step, allowing Luna to return her attention to the mare. Though the warming charm on the cloak was no doubt helping fight the cold, the unicorn was just caught in a blizzard, which meant she was likely chilled to the bone.

“Welcome to Canterlot Castle, I am your Princess Luna - I trust you have a place to stay here in the city, but for now I invite you here as my guest to warm up for the time being. What is your name, and how long were you caught in that storm? It’s nasty weather for a unicorn such as yourself to be caught in.”

Without waiting for a response, Luna began to lead the unicorn once more, this time through the labyrinth of hallways in the castle towards one of the cozier lounging areas. The one she had in mind always had a bright fire roaring away day and night during the winter months, and huge, comfy pieces of furniture that soaked up all that heat – it was ideal! The sooner they reached that room, the better for the smaller mare – she could answer while they walked or wait until they arrived, it made no difference to the Princess of the Night. The important thing was to make sure the blue mare warmed up quickly![colour=#6666ff]

​[/colour]

[colour=#000080]When Ice entered the castle the warmth hit her hard. It was a complete contrast to everything that she had felt and right now because of how cold she actually was she felt like everything was on fire. She heard the Princess address one of the guards to fetch some hot cocoa and warm snacks for them and bring them to the cozy lounge in the north hall when he was finished with his current task. He gave her a simple nod and returned to what he was doing.[/colour]

[colour=#000080]Meanwhile Ice shivered near uncontrollably under the cloak that was being provided for her, and for her to be this cold, and this uncomfortable in the cold is extremely rare considering that she kept her shop near freezing at all times. She simply loved cold weather. The fact that it made her practically frozen was a testament to the strength of the storm that was outside. The Princess then Identified herself. Although the identification wasn't needed, it was still a good sign from the princess not to assume everypony had heard of her or knew who she was. What stood out more to Ice was the fact that her voice was calm, collected, and caring. It was unlike everything that any story had ever portrayed her as. This, she took as further proof that she was right and that the princess wasn't really any different from anypony else. She'd just been emotionally hurt in the past. Ice thought back to the time in Canterlot a few years back when she was feeling those same emotions and almost did something that would have ended poorly for everypony involved. [/colour]

[colour=#000080]She then asked about herself, what her name was and how long she'd been trapped in that nasty weather. At the moment Ice was still too chilled to speak anything without it coming out a stuttered jumbled mess. So for the time being she followed her to the lounge. Buy the time they made it there, she had started to grow accustom to the temperature again to where she could speak without sounding like she'd eaten glass.[/colour][colour=#008080] "My apologies for not answering you sooner your highness... I wasn't really in a state where I could. My name is Ice Storm, and to be honest I don't know how long I've been in it. I actually fell asleep at the park and completely forgot there was supposed to be a blizzard tonight. And truthfully I've never had a place to stay here, even when I lived here. I always slept in that park since I was a filly. I would lay there watching the stars every night until I fell asleep,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she told the Princess. [/colour]

Fire Heart was lost in the blizzard shivering from the intense cold. It was bad enough that this was one of the worst blizzards in Canterlot that she could remember. The fact she was a unicorn whose talent was creating and controlling fire brought with it a bad side effect of the cold affecting her twice as bad as a normal pony would. The older filly had actually visited her parents in the city and now made her way back to Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns when the storm hit. Right now she felt like she should have stayed an extra day or so at her parents.

The cold she felt was the worst pain imaginable to the older filly, making her trek through the snow covered streets all the more harrowing. Not even her fire magic could help warm her as the cold was too intense and the pain was too present for her to concentrate on even casting the magic related to her talent. Worst of all, the snow fell so hard that she could barely recognize where she was, even in a city she was foaled and raised and attended school in. To her horror the poor red unicorn realized she was completely and utterly lost! She needed to get somewhere, anywhere out of the cold and quickly as she felt her strength starting to fail.

The red unicorn blindly walked through the storm until she bumped into what felt like something big and wooden. Little did she know she had reached the main doors of the castle, thinking it was an ordinary door in the blinding blizzard and her failing health. To her she just hoped it was a door and not something else made of wood and that there was somepony inside that could let her in. With the last of her strength she knocked on the door with her hoof.

[colour=#ff0000]"S... somepony p...please... let me in[/colour]. [colour=#ff0000]I'm l...lost and f....freezing. H...help me."[/colour]

She felt her legs give out as she collapsed in the snow as her body succumbed to the pain and the cold. The last thing she remembered was the thought of never again seeing the school she learned so much in, the friends who brought joy to her life, and her parents who loved her dearly. Then everything went black as the snow started to cover the filly's shivering body.

• 2 months later...

banner_luna_zpsd0aade62.png

Luna really couldn't immediately piece together what the mare was implying. Was the unicorn a street pony? Luna wasn't sure exactly that the housing market in Canterlot had gotten that bad, but she also sensed that the pony might still be in need of more warmth and nourishment before understandable terms about be communicated properly. It was Luna's lack of interacting to begin with that caused her to be hesitant. She didn't want to mess this up. So she continue to be hospitable for the moment.

Luna rested herself on a large pillow in the lounge. A pillow fit for Ice Storm's size was there waiting for her, with a plate in front of it. A burning fire crackled near both of them and there were spare blankets folded neatly by the pillows. This room was mostly used for intimate social situations and private relaxation time for the Princesses. But, seeing as the blizzard had snowed in everypony and kept the hustle to a standstill, it was in ready position to be used as a commonplace.

Luna levitated a warm cup of cocoa and a warmed biscuit onto the plate in front of where she insisted Ice Storm recline. "Wow, that sounds awfully cold. Your cutie mark. It's an ice crystal, yes? Are you a ice artist?" Next to Ice was a hoof bath filled with hot water. "Oh! And feel free to dip your hooves into that bath, it'll heat you right up."

A royal guard approached the two. Luna looked at him with slight annoyance. "Yes, Forward?" Without speaking, the guard indicated behind him another pony, this one much younger, had fallen at the doorsteps of the castle. The filly looked unconscious. "Oh dear! Bring her to the bath quickly!" Luna levitated the small pony with her own magic carefully, resting her hooves first in the small bath. She then draped a warm blanket over her.

Luna sat back down and dismissed the guard. She looked at Ice Storm. "What is the matter with you ponies. Have you no sense of hostile weather?" Her voice spoke deeper and commanding this time. But her intent was still at the attention of the needs of these shivering ponies.

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

~~~Ice Storm~~~

Ice Storm listened as the Princess asked about her cutie mark and asked if she was an ice artist, and also commented about the bath next to her stating that it would warm her up in a jiffy if she needed it to. She then levitated a pillow over to her, as well as some cocoa and a warm biscuit to which Ice Storm nodded in thanks to. "Thank you," she started.This kind of hospitality was something that she wasn't really all that accustomed to in Canterlot. Yeah, she'd made some friends here, but for the most part there wasn't much here. Aside from Moondancer she didn't really have a reason to stay in Canterlot for any length of time. That being said, she also realized that she was in the room with the very pony that was responsible for her being alive, now for multiple reasons, most of which she probably didn't even know about.

She was about to continue her answer though when Princess Luna addressed a guard that had entered showing a small filly behind him. Luna instantly placed her in the bath and asked about their sense of weather. "Normally I don't mind snow, or cold. To answer your question from earlier, I'm an ice elementalist. The only things I can't really do with it is control weather with it. I mainly use it in my shop to make frozen desserts. Though as I mentioned, I was staying at the park and I just completely forgot that there was supposed to be a blizzard tonight. I would have found a cheap inn if I would have," Ice replied taking a sip of the cocoa.

In her unconscious state, the older filly could feel the strange sensation of her being lifted up and carried. It was not like a pony carrying her on their back but like she was floating. She then felt a warmth around her, as if now being inside, as she was set down. The warmth continued to spread as she actually felt warmer, the frost on her body melting into water droplets. Finally her eyes slowly opened as she tried to get a sense of where she was. It was a very nice place, certainly nicer than her dorm room or even her own bedroom at home. Why, she could be was practically anywhere! Groaning a little as she turned her head, she saw a blue unicorn sitting nearby, perhaps rescued from the cold as well. But the biggest surprise came when she saw none other that Princess Luna.

"P...princess Luna," she said in slight state of disbelief while her body warmed up, "Where am I? The last thing I remember was being out in the snow."

"Take it easy, child." Luna commanded the little red filly. "You let yourself be covered in life threatening cold." Luna looked at Ice Storm. "Just like this one." Luna turned motherly for a moment, as she loved her subjects enough to give them the attitude she felt necessary when she felt they were doing things wrong.

Ice Storm seemed to think freezing to death out in the snow was just part of life in Canterlot. And maybe she was honestly suggesting that. Luna didn't want to address it at first, but she felt it was necessary to ask the obligatory questions now. "Miss Ice Storm, are you, homeless? I don't mean to offend, it's just that with the snow being so vicious this week, it would have never crossed my mind that there were ponies having to brave the winter blast without shelter. I assure you that you are under my protection in any case." Luna expanded her wings for a moment and then rested them back at her sides.

She looked back at the other filly who seemed to realize the setting. Luna levitated a plate with a warm biscuit and hot cocoa in from of her as well. "Eat and drink up, young one. I will not be responsible for you being hungry." Luna's hospitality was nonreluntant, but forceful. "And where do you live, um," Luna thought for a moment realizing the introduction with the new pony had been skipped. "What is your name, child?"

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

~~~Ice Storm~~~

When the princess asked if she was homeless. She shook her head. "Not anymore, but I used to be. I wasn't exactly met with a warm welcome when I came here alone from Fillydelphia after basically being abandoned by my parents. Or that's what it felt like at least. For the most part though, it didn't turn out to be too bad. I got to lay under a beautiful starry night most nights, and most of the time I would fall asleep just stargazing. This lasted through my time at the magic academy and up until I opened my original shop here in Canterlot. I apparently opened it in the wrong part of Canterlot though as most felt the need to criticize my 'Carnival Fare' rather than partay in the tasty treats I offered. Now I live in Ponyville, and so far everypony there seems to be much nicer than most I ran into when I lived here. I think I might have just come during a bad period though because they've been getting progressively nicer on the few visits that I've been back on," Ice explained as the other filly began to wake up asking where she was.

Ice then took a bite of the biscuit that the princess had given her. Her eyes went wide though when she bit into it. It was so flaky and yummy that she instantly placed the entire thing into her mouth. It wasn't a snowy treat, but it was very delicious and tasted as if it had pure honey baked into the biscuit itself. It was definitely one of the best pastries she'd ever had and she hoped that there were more of them. "Is... there a way that I might please have another biscuit Princess?" she asked a bit shyly not sure if it was even proper to ask a princess something like that seeing as she'd never encountered a princess before.

It was really a sight to see, as Luna helped and spoke with the filly. Stating that she had been caught out in the cold and that she should eat up. That if they left hungry it would be through no fault of hers. Her tone was a bit commanding, but overall, pleasant. this made Ice smile to know that she had picked the right pony to get her inspiration from, and her will. Ever since she was a filly she knew that if Luna had been strong enough to go through what she had and still be okay, then she would be fine. She also showed her what happened when you let things get the better of you as well, so she knew that she had to stay positive no matter how grim things appeared to be. Overall, those outlooks that she learned just by looking up at the stars every night, she felt had shaped her into a better mare. A lot better than her parents had, that's for sure. Luna then asked the filly about her living arrangements and her name. She politely awaited an answer as well

It was hard for Fire Heart to know if she was being cared for or scolded. Granted it was a dumb idea to try and brave the elements just because she wanted to return to her school and dorm room, thinking that she could outsmart nature. She almost paid dearly for her attempt had it not been for being rescued by Princess Luna. The older filly owed much to the moon flanked pony as she took a bite of her warm biscuit.

She heard the blue unicorn mention something about how her parents were not the friendliest of ponies and how she tried to start a new life in Canterlot but found it not a nice place.

"I'm sorry to hear about your life as a filly Ice Storm," she said looking at the unicorn, "and how you had a bad time here. I've lived in Canterlot all my life and although there are some that act a little high and mighty most of the ponies I've met here are ok."

As she responded to Luna's command of eating, surprised at how adamant the princess was to make sure she didn't starve, she heard Luna asked her name and where she lived. No doubt Fire believed that Luna suspected her of being homeless just like Ice was suspected of being. It seemed that Ice Storm was just as interested in learning about the red unicorn as much as the Princess was.

"Oh, my name is Fire Heart, and normally I live with my parents here on the outskirts of the city, but I was actually returning to Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns where my dorm was. Guess I underestimated the storm, especially since I'm not very good in the cold. By the way, thank you for rescuing me. I would have been a pony popsicle if you didn't."

Luna was disheartened to hear that both ponies felt rejected by Canterlot society. It reiterated to her the action and spirit Celestia had when trying to reform the upper-crust politics that happen in Canterlot's uptown. Fortunately, things were turning around, and society was looking to become more balanced, with the approach of Princess Twilight Sparkle's coronation, but also with the elements of harmony resounding hymns through the hearts of ponies everywhere. "Yes, there are some unpleasant ponies in Canterlot. We are trying our best to give equal opportunity to all ponies, even if they weren't served gourmet hay-sauce with a silver spoon when they were foals."

"Oh you're one of the students that received invitations to come to my sister's school. That's great! Our kind is always in need of powerful unicorns such as yourself to responsibly control their talents so that they may be used for the benefit of everyone in Equestria. It's one of our main pillars." Luna sipped some warm cocoa for herself, and levitated another pastry and dropped it on Ice Storm's plate. "Fillies, please eat to your heart's desire. It's going to be a long storm tonight." She giggled at Fire Heart's ability to joke about her own misfortune. "Hehe, it's not a problem at all, young child. I would have the doors of the castle open every night, if it weren't for higher class ponies feeling like they deserve a front row seat in my lounge."

Luna was taken back by Ice Storm's honesty regarding her parents, almost as if the unicorn knew that Luna would assume it was for the best. But it troubled Luna. She knew parents were probably the most important part of a pony's life, and a loss of connection causes them to be resentful to most other things, as well as have quarrelsome hearts when dealing with others. "Miss Storm, you said your parents abandoned you? Did you do something wrong to hurt them? Why would anyone want to send a sweet pony such as yourself onto the streets? How old were you when this happened?"

Ice listened as Fire Heart commented that she normally lived with her parents and that she was actually on her way back to the School for Gifted Unicorns, but underestimated how strong the storm would be. "At least you remembered about the storm. Though even I have to admit that this is one of the more violent storms I've seen in a while. It almost reminds me of the one that I discovered my talent for ice in. I say this because I have an extremely high tolerance for cold and have slept through a few other snow storms in the park while I was here and they didn't even phase me. This one in particular even made me cold. Perhaps the weather team is making up for a missed storm earlier in the week. I know that happens sometimes," she commented about the weather as the princess began to address her talents, stating that they were always in need of powerful unicorns such as herself. The comment gave her a gently pink blush along her cheeks from the compliment, especially coming from the princess.

"I don't really think I'm all that powerful. There are plenty of other unicorns more powerful than I. After all, I only excel in ice related magic. Otherwise, I know a small light spell and can teleport somewhat okay now after a few lessons on how to control my magical Aura a bit better. As I said though, I only use my magic for my store. I don't really feel I'm really all that special," she commented about herself as Luna further asked about her parents, making Ice cringe a bit. She should have seen the question coming after she had openly stated what happened, but it still hurt regardless. "They got taken away by wealth and fame. My mother, Mist weaver, owned the largest, most prestigious aquarium in all of Fillydelphia and a high brow Fillydelphian Aristocrat by the name of Golden Hoof started pouring money into them and started inviting them to all sorts of other gatherings. They became popular and gained status in the city, which lead to a multitude of problems for me. I was bullied, shoved around and every time I went to my parents they basically ignored me and sent me to my room, and when my magic didn't come as quickly as they'd liked then it got even worse. I never even had magic until I tried climbing Canterlot Mountain. It was actually a blizzard much like the one outside now that somehow spiked it, but that's a story for later."

"My parents ultimately though there was something wrong with me and when the doctor said he couldn't find anything they were furious and almost got the poor stallion fired on the spot. I'm not even going to go into how they reacted to some of the other problems I had at the time, one of which I still haven't grown out of, but it got to the point where they weren't even my parents anymore. They didn't seem to care, or love, or anything. The only time I was every allowed out of my room was when it was time to eat, or school. Now, I'm not going to say they weren't good to me from the material aspect. They tried to keep me satisfied by buying me whatever they thought I needed, or wanted. Any other pony would have been fine with getting whatever they wanted at any point in time, but the problem was I never actually got what I wanted."

"All I wanted was to spend time with loving parents. That never happened, and once I came to the realization that it never would happen again, I left. I wasn't going to keep hurting myself by living somewhere where it felt like I wasn't wanted. So that's when I originally came to Canterlot, and like I said earlier, I wasn't met with much better of a situation. Ponies would initially be concerned and ask if everything was okay, but as soon as they found out where I was from, they snob-nosed me and turned away. I know now that I was just in the really wrong part of Canterlot and that not everypony here is like that, but it's what it seemed like at the time. So then I started sleeping in the park under the very tree I was under tonight and look up to the stars for strength. It reminded me of everything that you had been through," she commented turning to the princess. "And how you were able to push through everything to still be an amazing, caring, and loving princess, and have the will and the strength to right everything that had been wrong. It's what kept the fire burning in my heart for so long when it felt like I had no more to give. Even before tonight, you have saved me from myself more times then you know," she told the princess truthfully.

"I still hope though, every day I hope that my parents had eventually learned and changed from the snobs they turned into back into the parents I loved before Golden Hoof Entered the picture. I would love nothing more than to find out that my parents have been actively looking or searching for me since I left, but I'm not holding my breath on it," she finished after literally telling the princess almost everything about her.

The red unicorn beamed with pride upon Princess Luna acknowledging her being at the school and how she mentioned about her talents. Fire Heart knew that her entry to Princess Celestia's School was not something to be taken lightly as it was a prestigious school for unicorns to learn magic. She never was one to boast about it though, only to be happy that she was there.

"Yes, being there at your sister's school is great. I'm learning so much from the teachers there about magic. Well if you consider creating and guiding fire as powerful then I guess I'm kind of powerful," the older filly said idly playing with a nearby candle, making the flame grow and shrink and dance slightly, "Actually it wasn't the fact that I needed to increase my fire ability that was why I went to your sister's school. I used to have a control problem with my magic, not a good thing since it involves fire. My magic for some reason is tied to my emotions, so when I was upset or surprised or excessively happy well I'd kind of burst into flames. You don't have to worry though as I have that under control most of the time. I still don't know how to use it to help others though. Right now I usually dance with my fire magic."

She paused as she took a sip of her cocoa, smiling as Luna giggled. From her first impression, Fire Heart felt that Luna was a serious pony, one who just didn't understand jokes as others did. But the more that she spent with her the more she saw the Moon Princess open up to her and Ice Storm. She then heard Ice Storm explain her magic which peaked her interest.

"Well at least you had some tolerance for the cold. My fire magic has a strange side effect of making me sensitive to the cold. That's why I passed out. but you said that you can teleport? Wow, that really neat! I only know of one pony who can do that, although there are probably a few more."

The older filly then listened to Ice Storm as she told her tale of her parents. It was a sad tale, one with an unfathomable level of neglect and sadness that Fire Heart found herself tearing up from the story. This wasn't something that was from a book but actually happened to the pony near her. She tried to keep her emotions in check as expressing her anger about the injustice that happened to the blue unicorn would lead to a fiery display.

"Oh my Ice, that's terrible! I can't even imagined how I would feel being in the same situation you were in! To be treated like that by you own parents, it's unthinkable! I'm glad you got out of there to start a new life. I guess that you parents only could love you the best that they could by giving you things, but you're right that doesn't substitute love."

The red unicorn reflected upon Ice Storm sleeping under the stars and how she related to Princess Luna's plight.

"Well, I never really slept under the stars, but sometimes I would sneak out of my parents' house and dance with my fire magic. I guess I was scared that if ponies saw me dance in the daytime of even use my fire magic they'd be frightened, so the night was a comfortable time for me to perform. Just me dancing in the moonlight. Even now I'm older I still sometimes dance in a park nearby the school."

Luna smiled widely as she began to understand the red filly. She knew first hoof what it meant to not control your emotions tied to magic. It made Luna happy that the pony's self-made progress report seemed to have her satisfied with her learnings on how to control herself more. Much more magical talent was found in unicorns today than was yesterday. That is, a thousand years ago yesterday. Ice Storm also mentioned her own magical schooling, but wasn't as excited to lift them up as something to be proud of. This concerned Luna, not really because Ice Storm's magic wasn't necessarily as powerful as other unicorns she had known to go through the higher education systems. It was more of a thing about confidence that the ice blue pony seemed to lack that trouble Luna's heart dearly.

But before Luna could encourage her in that, she started to speak of her parents. Details that she could only describe as painful flooded Luna's mind as she pictured in her mind the emotional struggle Ice Storm told. Luna was very disturbed by the tone she gave when talking about her parents, as well as showing pure resentment from the fact that the trouble was behind her. For a pony who was ready to move on, it sure seemed to leave some wounds that had not yet been healed enough to be considered scars. And then, at almost the same time, Luna was awed by the idea that her presence of her own story and being helped Ice Storm along her path to overcoming what was soreness from neglect and a loveless childhood. If Ice Storm had known of the many arguements the sisters had behind the palace doors, her imagination and emotional rail that guided her probably wouldn't have run so smoothly.

Luna cleared her throat after gathering her thoughts. "Young subject, you are still saddenned by this?" Luna asked rhetorically. She did not want to confront the pony for the mistakes she may have already made in conversation with a princess. Had this been the streets, Luna would not be able to hold judgement from the guards and other ponies hovering around the situation and criticizing the moment for its depressing mood it may linger over royalty. No, she was more interested in allowing Ice the chance to see for herself the realization of what could be another perspective on the matter. "Your parents. You must be very proud of them. They seem to be very successful. And I'm sure you would like to have some of your own successes too! Maybe not the same goals, but something that you are passionate about. Something that matches your personality and lifestyle. Something that matches your expectations."

"Ah, yes. Expectations." Luna lifted her head to a painting. A painting which illustrated the bond the two princess sisters had and their role of raising the sun and the moon every day, and how they worked in harmony to better all ponies under them. "It was expected of me to raise the moon every night. It is even expected of me to do the same today, and tomorrow, and the next. It was expected of me at the time to harvest the nighttime woes of the ponies and remove them from their daytime livelihood It was expected of me to accede managing that routine without ever befalling an emotional fallout." Luna angled her eyes at the ponies listening to her. She pretended she was angry at them, but for the story she told, it was a mere illustration. "It was expected of me."

Luna's eyes glowed and the feelings of resentment could be felt in the air around them. "But we all know that's not what happened, is it?" Luna's eyes returned and her aura relaxed back to position. She sipped a bit of warm cocoa. "You are correct, Miss Storm. We have that in common. That it is something I had to make right and deal with and to push forward leaving the past behind." She leaned towards the blue unicorn. "But that did not make me right to begin with." She reclined back her over-sized pillow. "What most ponies don't know is that my sister and I have had many conversations about what happened in the past. It wasn't so simple for her to offer me friendship and for me to apologize. The process had only begun that day, and even still, the process is a never-ending road of constantly getting better at realizing who I am. Who we are."

"Miss Storm, you seem to be a pony who has a particular taste in life. You like things cold. Personally I shiver at the thought." Luna chuckled at her horrible pun. "But uh, oh, by the way, I was going to order some coffee from the kitchen, but would you like yours iced instead? We may even have some coffee-flavored ice cream if you want some." Luna broke the conversation slightly as she realized her own drink was fading to the bottom of her cup. She levitated it to the service tray.

"But continuing, a pony like yourself must have very strong ideas for their own life. Why else would you run away from home? You had a choice to make, and you decided that you were going to fulfill your dreams by yourself by traveling the country and looking for opportunity. And what did you expect? You had expectations I'm sure. You found that Canterlot ponies aren't always very nice. It wasn't what you expected. It's certainly not what I expected either when I returned. You also expected your parents to treat you with love and compassion and take your interests at heart. But that didn't happen either. And lastly, you didn't even expect tonight's snow storm." She shook her head, half giggling at the thought that Ice Storm even put herself in that situation. "Sounds like you also had the same problems as me. And more accurately, it sounds like you have the same problems as your parents. Maybe your parents expected you to be different. Maybe they expected you to be a fancy pony and wear ribbons with the best shade of lilac, and have the best singing voice. I don't know." Luna had a hard time picturing Ice Storm's parents, as the negative perspective Ice Storm had was the only thing she could go off of. "But just because you didn't meet their expectations doesn't mean they will hate you forever. And understand, child, older ponies make mistakes, too. Especially Princesses of the Night."

Luna listened to Fire Heart speak of her dances with the fire. It sounded amusing and artistic, and Luna would love to see it. But considering the timing and the environment, it might be best to wait. "Oh, neat. Say, Miss Fire Heart, does your talent have any practical usage? Say maybe lighting a log on fire in the fireplace?" Princess Luna nodded towards the fireplace, which had half a withered log still coiling and sparking up an occasional ember. But it was in need of furnishing.

Luna exhaled and stared at Ice Storm for a moment. She wasn't sure where to go next in the conversation, but she knew Ice Storm would probably lead the next idea. "Do you think you should ever visit your parents soon? Maybe you could write to her, and we'll give it the Princess' seal." Luna winked.

Ice Storm listened as the other two ponies began to comment on the information that she had just told them about her parents. The two reactions very different, yet somewhat expected from the ones giving them. Fire Heart thought that it was a good thing that she had gotten away from her parents when she did. Ice, truthfully wasn't so sure about that. Then why do I still hurt... she thought to herself. She wasn't pretending to say the last few lines in good faith, or in a false pretense. She legitimately wanted her old parents back. Even if she was now too old to live with them again, you're never too old for the love a parent can provide, that they are supposed to provide.

Then came Luna's response immediately asking if she was still saddened by this. Not catching that it was a rhetorical question, Ice nodded. She continued though, asking if she was ultimately proud of her parents accomplishments, and their successes and that she herself wanted to be successful as well with something that she was passionate about. Something that matched her lifestyle and expectations. She then started to talk about expectations, and the tone of the conversation changed. It sounded more resentful and she could feel it even in the air around her. Of course, this wasn't hard considering it's been building in her for a while. Luna began to describe the expectations that were had of herself and as she did she could feel the anger in her tone rise. Ice began to wonder if sharing the events was a good idea or not now as the last thing she wanted was to have a princess angry with her, much less the princess she'd idolized for so long. She continued by stating that she was expected to perform all of her duties regardless and was not expected to suffer an emotional fall out. At this point her eyes glowed and the room filled with a feeling of dread. Ice became fearful before the princess reverted back to her normal self and simply stating that wasn't how things happened.

She then stated that her return and the apologies that she may have heard about marked only the beginning to her path to redemption, and that there were many things that she had to make right along the way. She stated that in light of all this though, it didn't make her right to begin with. Ice thought about that statement. She knew that running away like that probably wasn't the right thing to do, but... what else was she supposed to do? It was likely that she still wouldn't even have her magic now had she stated in Fillydelphia with her parents. It never snowed there, so it was unlikely that any form of ice would have made it's way for her to learn about her ability to control it. She listened as Luna continued though explaining about all of the conversations that her and her sister have had behind closed doors and that it was a never ending process of finding out who we are.

She then identified that Ice was a pony with a very particular taste in life, and how she liked things could, and how she shivered at the though. It was a nice little phrase that made Ice smile a small bit to help lighten the mood into one that was a bit more, assertive. Luna then stated that she was going to send an order back to the kitchen for some coffee and asked if she would like her coffee to be iced or perhaps some Ice cream. "I would love some Ice cream, but the coffee if fine hot. It, cocoa, and tea are some of the few things that I prefer hot over cold. Almost everything else though I usually eat cold like salads, or frozen deserts. Most of the deserts I make myself." she commented with a smile.

Luna then addressed the fact that she apparently had her own ideas on how things should be, otherwise why run away, and why Canterlot? She knew that she had to have expectations before she left for Canterlot, and that her expectations were obviously not met, of course Luna added that it wasn't what she expected either. This made her a bit more at ease because she knew that she wasn't the only one having issues here. She was surprised to hear that Luna was having issues though. Luna also stated that she expected her parents to treat her with love and compassion, which was also something that didn't happen, which instantly brought Ice's mood back down. She added that it sounds like she had the same problem as Luna and it was more likely that she had the same problem as her parents. It was likely her parents were expecting her to be very different, which just wasn't the case. She also reminded Ice that even older ponies make mistakes to, even Princesses of the Night.

Ice nodded again. "I know that it may not have been the best course of action to take, but at the time it felt like the only course of action that I could. Truth be told, when I left and ran away, I was expecting my parents to come looking for me. I expected them to look to either you or your sister for for assistance in trying to locate me. Considering I was attending your sister's school, had they actually bothered to look for me they would have found me quite easily. The simple fact that it never appeared that they made any attempt to find me is why I've never tried to go back. I always presumed that they didn't look because they didn't care, or were even happy that I was gone. Then they wouldn't have to be held back anymore from their own ideas," she commented now fighting back her own emotions. The last thing she wanted was an emotional breakdown in front of the princess and show her how weak she actually was, though tears were obviously threatening to fall as they began gathering in the corners of her eyes.

"As far as what I was expecting... I was expecting my parents to be the mother and father I saw with everypony else or the mother and father that I was taught about in the school. That showed love, sympathy, and compassion for their foals regardless of circumstances. I believe the book called it unconditional love. I don't know, it's been so long I can't really remember. Like I mentioned though, I was expecting them to come looking for me after I left, and when I got to Canterlot, I really don't know what I was expecting. I know that I was hoping that the ponies in Canterlot were more forgiving than the ones in Filly at the time but where I ended up at that wasn't the case. I was fortunate enough to find a couple really good friends though, a couple of which to this day I'm still good friends with. That being said, I still didn't have a place to call home until after I graduated the academy, and I welcomed inclimate weather because it gave me enough water or snow to easily make a shelter at night with my magic."

"And even if I wasn't what my parents expected, it didn't make how they treated me hurt any less. It felt like they didn't even care after Golden Hoof came into the picture, and this only started being an issue after he showed up. He bathed them with bits, and he literally stole my parents from me. I felt abandoned, lonely and forgotten..." she sniffed unable to hold back all of her tears now. "I remember before he came that my mother was always there for me, and she would take me out into the Aquariums with all the fish and dive with me to let me see all of them up close and personal. She even bought these bracelets for me with all of the bits that she earned before Golden Hoof even appeared. That's what makes it hurt even more is that my parents weren't always like that. They were changed my money and status, and that's one of the main reasons I've grown to heavily dislike the noble class," she spoke sadly.

Luna then spoke to Fire about possible relighting the log in the fireplace before asking Ice if she had ever thought about going after her parents herself, and perhaps they could send a letter with the princess's seal on it. "As much as I would love that, I don't have any idea where to begin looking for them. I don't even remember where I lived in Fillydelphia, nor do I have any way of knowing if they are still there or not. There have been many times that I've thought about searching myself but honestly, I'm just too scared to try. I don't want to waste my time searching for them only to get hurt again. Being hurt once is enough for me, especially since my store in Ponyville is doing really well now. That being said, if you know of a way that I could track my parents down easily, then I would very much appreciate it. I would at the very least would like to know if they even actually missed me..." she added her tone still down about the situation. She made it very clear, she felt that she was still hopeful and wanting of her parents, she just didn't think they were wanting of her.

Fire Heart noticed the smile that Luna gave upon her mentioning her previous lack of control. Perhaps the red filly reminded the Princess of somepony or at least she understood that she what she had in power she lacked in control. It was nice to know that the red unicorn wasn't the only pony to face the problem of control.

She sat back and sipped her cocoa as Luna spoke to Ice Storm about her issues with her parents. The red unicorn held back as it seemed that the blue pony sitting near had a more pressing matter to address, one that Fire was unsure how to even attempt to tackle. She was confused about the rhetorical question the Princess made, knowing full well that Ice Storm was still visibly upset with what happened in her life. Admittedly it was a bold move for Ice Storm to open up to the Princess like that, pouring out her thoughts, especially ones that were so personal. Fire wondered what Ice was trying to see happen in telling Luna her tale, if it was just a way to say what was on her mind or that something would be requested to be done.

As the sobering mood hung over the three, Fire heard Luna speak about how perhaps Ice was looking for a certain type of parent, one with expectations. As the Moon Princess continued to explain her expectations, her tone became more dark and foreboding. As the Alicorn's eyes glowed, Fire tensed up as it seemed the talk of expectations somehow reflected on her as well. But just when Fire began to reconsider being in the room, wishing that she perhaps passed out on some other doorstep, Princess Luna explained about how really everypony has their own expectations and sometimes they are not what they appear to be.

The tense and saddening tale was broken up by the offering of more beverages which Ice explained she liked hot things even thought she had the ability to make ice.

"That's like me as well Ice, just the other way around. I prefer warm things like this cocoa, but I can still enjoy cold things like ice cream. It's really intense cold that bothers me, like snow."

The conversation then settled back to expectations, something that Fire Heart knew about too well. Sometimes things did not go as they expected and thus life had to change to match those surprises in life. The red older filly began to wonder if Ice's choice to leave and her approval for such an extreme reaction was a good idea at all. There were always different sides to a story, and Fire wasn't going to judge her decision, but running away was a very extreme case. Ice then spoke about her expectations regarding what she thought her parents would do and how they should act towards her. Her thoughts were only interrupted by hearing her voice as Luna asked in Fire could light the fireplace. She was confused at the way Luna asked if the red unicorn's talent was practical, which of course it was.

"Oh, sure I can start the fireplace," Fire said as she split a flame from the candle, expanded it into a larger flame, and then carefully moved it until it reached the fireplace, igniting the log before speaking about what the two ponies were conversing about expectations, "I can understand Ice that you were expecting something to happen and it didn't, as that's kind of what happened to me. When I learned I could create fire ponies were ... well... scared of my ability. I began to expect the worst, that I would be kicked out of school, that I would be confined to my house for the safety of not accidentally bursting into flames, and that I would not have a normal life that I wanted to. I almost felt like if there was a way to somehow put a damper on my ability it would be for the best. But you know something, my lowered expectations were disproved as I was accepted to Princess Celestia's School and that I found that ponies did see me as normal and respected me. So I can definitely relate to both of your examples of certain expectations not happening. But I think that something else happened in your life Ice Storm. I bet that after meeting those rude ponies you like me expected that it was going to be like that and not to expect anything better happening. But from what you said, you went to Ponyville and despite your bad expectations you seem to be doing well there. So maybe things will get better with your parents too, and the negative expectations you have will be disproved.

Fire Heart then got up and walking over to the pony gave Ice Storm a hug saying, "But you know, you don't have to do things alone either."

Luna watched and listened as Ice Storm opened her heart to the princess. Over the several minutes they talked, Luna could see buildup of emotion inside Ice Storm, and more evident, the resistance to keep it from coming out. But when she started talking about the root of her hurt, her rejection she felt from her family, and the years of neglect that seemed to persist, the tears erupted out of her quickly and convincingly Luna came to her side, and cover her with her left wing. "It is alright child, let it out. One mustn't hold it in for too long." Luna knew it was important to make physical contact with Ice Storm, for it would allow a more cooperative response out of Ice Storm's emotion and the challenges that Luna would pass her way, regardless of how simple the questions may be to come.

Fire Heart had her own things to say to the unicorn, and soon joined her in a hug as well to encourage her. The three of them reclined there for a moment with the newly made fire kindling nearby. As soon as Ice Storm slowed her breathing and the sniffles gapped longer in between, Luna decided to respond to her emotions. "We all experience hurt in some way. Your story has touched me and I can identify a broken heart when I see one. Your heart is frozen, and you feel like a warming relief is not in sight." Luna rolled her own tear out of her eyes, and as it hit the floorboards beneath them, it crashed a very light ring. "There will come a time when you will have to live with your current situation. You will some day be required to be content with who you are, and where you came from. Because if you don't, your future will be unable to reveal itself, and you will be lost, perhaps again in a heavy snow storm."

Luna levitated a new cup of cocoa and placed it in front of Ice Storm. "Canterlot has snow storms why?" Luna asked both unicorns, flexing her wings up and them letting them fall to her side. "Does not the beauty of weather come from the days in which the sun is visible during the day, and when the moon reflects the sun's brightness at night? Is it the wishes of high society in the palace, the Princess such as myself, and delegates in the throne room to order such snow pattern so that it makes ponies miserable around the city?" Luna looked at them quizzically, willing to hear out what they thought.

The emotions that were in the room still hung low, though the other two ponies in the room were doing their best to help Ice through the situation as she reflected on the events of her past and her dealings with her parents. Fire Heart commented about how she was basically the opposite of her and that how even though she liked hot things mostly, she still enjoyed things like Ice cream and the like before moving on to talk about how she had always expected every pony to be scared or afraid of her because of her inability to control her magic when she first obtained it. She expected that she would get thrown out of her school, confined to her house, and ostracized from society. However, she had found that most of her expectations where disproved and that she was accepted into Celestia's school and found that normal ponies did in fact respect her. But that's not the same as expecting your parents to be there for you only to be ignored... she thought to herself. She then added that it seemed like after meting all of the rude ponies, she had been able to get out, and make due in Ponyville despite her overall bad expectations and that perhaps things might get better with her parents.

It was at this point that she felt a wing drape over her and she looked up to see that the Princess of the Night herself had come over to her and placed a wing over her. Telling her that it was okay for her to let everything out and to not hold anything in. That it was unsafe to hold things in for so long. She told her that everypony experiences hurt in some way, and that her story has touched her. She stated that she could recognize a broken heart when she saw one. That her heart seemed frozen, and it looked like she felt that there was no warming relief in site. Ice was going to protest, but when she looked back at everything that had happened to her recently, she hadn't really given many ponies much of a chance. Rarity was the only pony she had actually opened up to prior to this, and her only just recently. Otherwise she hadn't really done much of anything else to try to improver her own relations. Aside from her shop she'd actually taken to secluding herself from most others and just stayed inside or at the park looking at the stars. She never really considered what it looked like from the stand point of everypony else. Could that be why she was having issues getting along with others? She continued to listen as Luna further stated that she would have to come to live with the current situation, and required to someday be content with who she was and where she came from. That if she wasn't, then she could never truly reveal herself and she would be forever lost, perhaps in a snow storm again.

"I know that it's something that I have to come to terms with, but the problem is, I don't know if I can yet. I always wake up every morning wondering if things have changed. Every time I check my mail, I always hope that there is a letter or something from my parents that had gotten forwarded to me or better yet open my shop and have my parents come through the door. Until I know for sure whether or not they've been able to change, or if they've been gone too far... I don't think I can. The issue is, I've always been too scared to even try. If they haven't changed, I don't really want to get hurt again," she commented to the two of them. "If either of you have any ideas on how to get around that issue, then I would very much appreciate hearing them because... I really would like my family back," she stated.

Luna then asked about why Canterlot had snow storms, and asked if it's beauty wasn't reflected by the sunny days and during the evening as the Moon reflected it's light. Ice paused for a moment thinking about it. "Well, I personally love snow storms. Had I been in my hotel I probably would have watched it fall all night long. After all, in some of the glimmering lights, each little flake somewhat resembles that of shooting stars as the light refracts off of the miniature crystals of ice. If it wasn't as intense as it is tonight, most of the time I stay out in them anyway, a testament to how cold it actually is outside when an Ice Pony can't handle it," she giggled. The princess then asked if they thought that it was something that was planned by the high society and the princesses in order to make everypony miserable. A question that Ice immediately shook her head to. "No, it's just simply maintaining balance and making sure that all of the seasons are as they should be for the areas that they are in. I'm no weather pony, but from what I remember in school each region must obtain the proper amount of snow for it's region each year in order to prevent a drought. At the same time though, too much snow can't be delivered to prevent any possible floods in the spring. Snow storms like this one occur when the weather team makes an oversight and forgets a previously scheduled snow so it has to make up for the snow that was already supposed to be on the ground," she commented. "And like I mentioned before, I didn't have a home when I lived in Canterlot before, so I welcomed snow storms because they always gave me a temporary house so, I've always been a fan of them," she added.

Fire Heart could see that her story of expectations and how things were not as quit as it seemed had little effect in helping the sad blue unicorn. The fact was that all the red unicorn's experience with being ostracized and her fears of losing control were minimal compared to what Ice Storm had gone through. Fire felt sad for Ice, and worse felt like there wasn't much the older filly could do to help her. So she took a step back and let Luna, who perhaps would be more equipped with helping the pony.

Upon the Princess of the Night mentioning how Ice's heart was frozen from her memories and how she had to come to terms with her situation to which the pony had an idea.

"Well, you can always send a letter to your parents telling them how you really feel. Just put everything you said to us in it and hopefully they will respond to you. But you said that you are afraid that ponies will hurt you like your parents did, right? Do you think that I would hurt you either with my magic or emotionally? That was something that I had to live with, not the fear that I would be hurt by others like you have Ice but the fear that I would hurt them. I guess I had to one day realize that I could have a normal life with friends and such. So I have to ask you Ice: do you trust me enough that I would not hurt you?"

The red unicorn then heard Luna ask what she thought about snowstorms. It was a curious topic, one that appeared disjointed from the current conversation. Fire figured that it wasn't that the Princess was trying to divert things, so there had to be some bit of wisdom in this question.

"Well, I don't really hate snow storms, as they are pretty when I watch the snow fall from my dorm room or from home. I like seeing everything sparkle at night like diamonds. But it's the cold that bothers me with my magic as you saw. If I could find a way to fix that part of me I would, but I have yet to find some magic to do that. But I don't think snow storms are used to make ponies miserable as they come with winter, just like winter is necessary as the rest of the seasons are. There are the times of light or no snow and then there are these times like tonight. I guess the one thing it does is bring ponies together be them friends, families, even special someponies."

"You like the snow storms? You like that the deciduous trees in all of the Canterlot hold is in a state of hibernation and the plants have taken a fall? You enjoy the dead grass that is scatter all over the now dirt plains of the Canterlot basin? You think it's admirable for large amounts of snow to topple over itself and cause an avalanche on the northeast side of the mountain where, when it falls, it will smother hundreds of animal burrows and trees, possibly leaving them dormant for the entire winter?" Luna teased their answers. For she didn't expect the two to be so brightly enamored with winter weather. She supposed that their responses was reflective of their current situation being trapped by the snow itself as they almost froze to death. It seemed they enjoyed it a little too well.

Luna liked Ice Storm's second answer. "You are a bright child. Yes. There are seasons because everything needs a time of death. But once the death is harvested, a new season of growth will follow. Ice Storm, I want to think you're at the end of your Winter, and you are anticipating the arrival of the first warm sunrise in your heart, a moment when you can look through yourself and see the beauty that is and will be in you soon. And I'm afraid any thoughts of resentment in the past will block those positive feelings."

Much like her dreamscape, the Princess found it important to express to the pony that she must fight her own battles, even if the enemy is herself. "Its unfortunate that you had parents that made you feel neglected, but the more you persist, the more you feed that desperation for acknowledgement from somepony who time and time again has not given it to you." It was hard for Luna to suggest this, having not known Ice Storm for very long, but she had a hunch. She put her hoof on her shoulder. "You need to let it go. You need to face your feelings, and conquer whatever negative emotion you have concerning your parents. Otherwise, it will continue to eat at you, and you will never grow."

Fire Heart's response to Luna's question was warmhearted. "Yes our friends and families do make life really special, and in a time when ponies need warmth, they can come to each other for that sense of love and care. But its important to realize that your family is the caring ponies that surround you. The satisfaction of warmth and comfort knows no blood relations." Luna looked at the girls together separately. "Does that make sense?"

• 2 weeks later...

The answers that she had received from the princess and the fiery unicorn were both surprising. Fire Heart started off by stating that she should at least try to send them a letter to see if they responded and that she shoudl put in everything that she had just said to them in it. Fire also asked her if she was afraid that she was going to hurt her in some way. That was the feeling that she always had to live with as she was growing up, which was the opposite of the feeling that she felt, but still lead to mostly the same effect. She also said that she had to one day realize that she could have a normal life. When she asked if Ice Trusted her enough not to hurt her though, it came as a bit of a shock as well. She nodded. "Yes, I trust you to not hurt me, just as I trust Luna. I've just been through so much that it normally takes a bit to break through my shell before I can start trusting others. Something I realize I probably need to work on. Living in Ponyville has helped with that because most of everypony I've met there have been really nice," she commented as Luna began to speak up.

Luna first asked, in a rather playful tone, about them liking the winter weather and all of the side effects that usually came with the season. "But none of the trees really die now do they? They only rest until the warmth of spring returns," she responded. She also stated that she was nearing the end of her own winter, and that she would be anticipating her first warm sunrise in her heart. The words that she was speaking to her were soothing, and made her even happier that she had idolized her as she had. Luna herself was showing her that she had placed her faith and guidance in her all these years. She told her though that the any thoughts of resentment though would prevent this sunrise and that she needed to let everything go. That she had to deal with the negative emotions that were caused by her parents one way or another. That the more that she persisted, the more that it would end up hurting her in the future, and never let her grow.

She also emphasized that it was our friends and families that made life special and that it was important to realize that one's family was the caring ponies around them. That friends and family will be the ones that come around and spread their warmth. She also stated that the benefits of warmth and comfort weren't restricted to blood relatives, looking out to both of them and then asking if it made sense. Ice nodded again. "It does, and I understand that I have to let it go, but I'm just not sure how to do so. As you said, it's something that I need to face. Perhaps I should take both of your advices and send them a letter or something. I don't know if they are still in Fillydelphia or where they would be at, but just send them that and move on. If I get a response great, if not, well, at least I tried," she told the two of them.

What Luna said about winter was depressing, but Fire could see that she was teasing the situation of the two ponies almost freezing to death.

"Oh well, there was that whole almost freezing to death part, but I guess it was a blessing in disguise as I was able to meet both of you. Of course I'm not going to try venturing out into a storm like that again, not for all the bits in Equestria."

The red unicorn watched as Ice Storm tried to make sense of the question Fire Heart asked. It was a simple enough one, something that required a yes or no answer from the blue unicorn, but gravity of the question was no less powerful.

"I'm happy you trust me, and i know it can be hard to trust others after what happened to you. However, you said that your saw in Ponyville that not everypony is mean. I know that after bad things happening a pony would rather have themselves shielded from other things like being treated badly, but if somepony keeps themselves like that they do not allow any good things into their life. You're on your way though as you trusted me enough that I won't hurt you."

The older filly heard Luna explain that Ice Storm was reaching the end of her winter, that the bad past was ending.

"I agree with Princess Luna, Ice. There are bad times in our lives, but thankfully they're not the entire time. Otherwise that would be terrible! But if you continue to feel bad though and not see the good things like living in a new town and meeting other ponies then it'll be just like the bad times before."

The Princess then responded to the red unicorn's comment on what family meant.

"Oh I agree. Even though I have parents, being in Princess Celestia's SChool is like a second home and with it there are my friends and other ponies that I care about as well as they care for me. So They're like a second family."

Ice Storm finally agreed to send out a letter to her parents, hoping that they would receive it.

"That's great Ice. I think you should seriously tell them how you feel and how you wish to speak with them. Even if the letter doesn't find them it'll be a weight off your mind as you were able to get your thoughts down on paper."

Luna nodded. "Wonderful!" She could see Ice Storm was beginning to break a little. Her emotional stages had passed and her words and actions were gaining composure. Ice Storm sure was a bright pony, Luna wondered why she had never heard of her before until now. The unicorn certainly wouldn't be the best unicorn there ever was by any stretch. Nor was it obvious that she would have a chance at Princesshood like the recent Twilight Sparkle. But she could see a lot of potential in her, and she wanted to encase that energy somehow.

Luna levitated a piece of paper and a quill and set them in front of Ice Storm. "Alright let's start. You write the letter out loud, and I," Luna looked over at Fire Heart. She acknowledge the red filly for her own qualities, and decided to let her in. "I mean, we will help you." She wondered if Ice Storm took her this seriously. Any pony can say they'll do something that is tough. But when push comes to shove, the ponies that walk the talk are the difference makers in Equestria. It was never enough to just sit there and wish.

Archived