Mistfire

How would YOU prefer the movie?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. (choose one below)

• Mistfire's idea
    • Like the show, but a movie of course
    • ANYTHING BUT COSTUMES
    • Meh, I would watch it either way
    • It doesn't really need a movie at this point...

Well its another one of my posts that always starts because of good old google images search

Well i saw this one image (the one that lists all the hasbro movies in existence so far, then shows the mane 6 getting ready for their own possible movie) and i thought about something...

how would it go? I mean, if you think about it all the people and parents wouldn't really approve of a movie theater filled with teens and grown men... especially if they haven't heard of bronies.

So i was thinking... maybe make a movie ABOUT a brony! Or something like that, i mean, its sort of "ok fine" with parents, and well, it'll explain us to the world and maybe even get everyone to understand that its because its a good show, from the early stages to the peak of bronyhood.

Thats how i would make it, not sure what you guys would want to do or how you would prefer it, but it sure will do something about all the confusion when parents see a teen or 21 year old man walking down the street with their daughter's favorite show on their shirt.

I added a poll to this too, I might send the results to hasbro and see what they do (IF the polls point towards a movie, i clearly won't send a poll saying no to a movie that they might not even be making)

OR

post your ideas below! Both the replies and poll results will be sent to hasbro if I'm allowed to, so if you don't wish to be completely involved, use the poll

A FiM movie would be amazing -- not to mention it would probably pull in a new wave of fans! As for the story, I'm sure it would showcase all of the Mane Six in a fun way that would also serve to introduce what FiM is about. There would probably be a lot of brony and fan shout outs and in-jokes. As much as I dislike 3D, this movie would probably be available in that too.

Just make it like the show. That animation is lovely and it should definitely focus on the mane six.

As for the bronies in theaters thing, due to different show times and such, I think it would kind of be a non-issue in most places.

Okay, was discussing this with Chillz a few days ago.

Let's establish something first:

If there is ever an FiM film, it will NOT be released theatrically. There have been too many instances (Powerpuff Girls Movie) that prove that animated TV show films being brought into theaters just DO NOT WORK. Not only that, but there would not be enough demand. Even with the amount of Bronies, that's less than a million. That doesn't turn a profit for the theatrical distributor. Until FiM is proven to be THAT profitable, a distributor won't pick it up.

Next, I believe the film should be big in scale. When I say big, I mean about ten times the scale of A Canterlot Wedding. The plot should be epic, spanning in a way that it introduces the ponies to a story that can be spread into a feature-length. Something epic, full of everything we love, and plenty of time to fix pacing. A Canterlot Wedding had the unfortunate fate of only having an hour to work with. This being the case, its pacing was flawed. However, if the writers were given full range, a plot spanning 90-120 minutes would be GRAND. We've seen what the writers can do with a full, feature-length timeslot (Once again, Powerpuff Girls Movie), and it turns out excellent in the end.

Would I want this now?....of course! After all, this time is the BEST TIME to crack out a movie for the show. The Brony fandom is thriving, the media is picking up on it...people are INTO IT. With this popularity riding it, a film would be perfect to crack out now. However, at the risk of losing a season of the show, it'd be better to...maybe, have the series finale be a feature-length film? :smug:

In general, if they do indeed make a feature-length film, extreme care and attention needs to be made. That enough may sacrifice an entire season of the show.

...remember, as far as we know, we're only getting 13 episodes for this season....is this a sign of things to come?

...maybe... ;-)

actually, yeah not such a bad idea, at home, where not even the box office can stare at you like "you sure you're ok kid? This is my little pony, a girl's toy line"

problem is, i don't have cable, and internet.. too laggy

doesn't seem like anyone's commented on my idea, but seeing all the replies stating that it should stick to the show, i'm gonna have to go with the "like the show, but a movie of course" option

Still not closing this so mostly everypony can put their two cents into this

A movie?

Well, for starters ,giving them the usual 90 minutes for animated films (Like Powerpuff Girls, Ed Edd 'n' Eddy, etc.) The ywould be able pan the entire story out longer, and have more emotion to it. They would need to write a script that would fit the length, not squeeze it in. Animation? They'd have to triple the animation quality of A Canterlot Wedding, or double S3's "apparent upgrades "so far. For an episode, this isn't necessary, but for a "movie" to be accepted into theaters, this is a must.

However, with the size of the brony community, a movie wouldn't work. Even with the girls that watch FiM, (Shocking, I know.) there's not a big enough audience for a movie. If Michael Bay didn't participate in the making of Transformers, it wouldn't work. THAT was lucky enough to do how good it did, then it kicked off. The movie would go to theaters, and sell $200,000 - $1,000,000 in tickets, EqD would be filled ,and there'd be more PMVs, animations, and stuff, but that's it.

I'm not trying to be negative, but it really wouldn't work. Maybe a 4-part (or 2 45 minute parts) for a "special" on The hub, but not a movie. What I said before applies to a DVD, or theater film.

TL;DR

From my PoV, the season 2 finale WAS a movie. It was high-quality, featured multiple songs/refrains, and created a properly dramatic self-contained plot and felt slightly disconnected from the series (Twilight miraculously develops a brother and "greatest foal sitter in the history of foal sitting" that meant the world to her... but has never been referenced before?) To me, the season openers did not feel as disconnected as this, despite their length being the same (the S2 opener referenced all of S1 so it connected well, and required a lot of background knowledge about the characters to understand fully what was happening, unlike the S2 finale which required little-to-no knowledge except what a "Sonic Rainboom" was, which is extremely minor to the plot)

And you know what? It worked. It was a great "movie" and could easily be shown as such, imo. (Now granted since it was the *finale* I dont know that it wont tie-in to S3 and just act as an early "season premier" but as of now...)

As for a true feature-length 1.5-2.5 (or longer) movie... I'd say go with the same basic formula as the S2 finale. Make it like the episodes but with a longer, slightly deeper plot.

Now the issue of "ticket sales" due to a lot of adults/bronies not wanting to be seen in a theatre watching a MLP Movie... that is an issue...

PRE-POST-EDIT

D'oh I just realized I've had this reply sitting here in another tab for days... *derp* oh well, better late than never I s'pose!