That Place in Season 3 (Rampant Speculation - SPOILERS!)

My pony in crime (Flutterscotch) and I have been itching for a topic like this! The Crystal Kingdom!

UrVp3.png

What does everypony think?! How is Cadance/SA connected? I know we have a theory about gruel and changelings in there. Discuss!

Well Cadence doesn't seem to hold any sway in Canterlot affairs, so I first would thing that she is either still the princess there or that she was at least born and raised there.

From what I heard in the Crystal Pony song, the princess is in danger of losing her magic. Now I think it has to deal with her rule. If some other pony (like the one they leaked) usurps the throne that is rightfully hers, she loses the magic. One has to wonder, as a side note, if somehow Luna and Celestia get deposed they will lose their magic. Also would lose her magic also changer from an alicorn to a regular pony, or would she remain as she is but very weak?

So Shining Armor of course would help his wife and most likely need the Elements to do so. I wonder how throwing a big fair would save the crystal ponies and Cadence's magic. Were these ponies exiled and scattered and fair would be a way to bring them back?

More answers lead to more questions it seems.

Ok, My OFFICIAL Answer. And I think we should get points for things that we accidentally get correct.

The Crystal Empire is north of Equestria, and the ponies speak with vaguely Italian accents, and the ponies there have sparkly coats and weird eyes (maybe not as weird as g1 twinkle or Sparkle ponies, but still weird). And I think Cadence was their princess, but was too young to assume the throne. Seeing what had happened to her sister, Celestia took Cadence in and taught her to be a good ruler, even giving her the job of babysitting Twilight to make sure she would turn out well-adjusted and that her love powers were focused properly.

But in the meantime a steward had taken her place to rule the Empire, and maybe this steward is OK at first, but since he has weird green eyes and is black with a weird horn, maybe he's a changeling? Or just evil. And under his control the crystal ponies have forgotten their roots and become too reliant on technology. And Celestia and Luna have to depose this guy to reinstate Cadence (or possibly they're just instating her in the first place because she'd be a better ruler. POLITICAL SABOTAGE!). But in order to get this to work, they need to get the crystal ponies to remember their roots by bringing back the tradition of the crystal fair. Because maybe they just don't know what love or friendship is anymore.

And that's the test that Twilight's afraid of failing.

Actually, and you know what, Rosewind suggested to me that maybe the Crystal Ponies had become the Changelings, and I thought she was totally kidding, but somehow they might actually be involved. After all, SOMEHOW Cadence had to have been replaced. Was it during an emissary mission to the Crystal Empire? Are that mysterious black unicorn and Chrysalis MARRIED? Is that how she knew to take over Equestria through it's love-bearing princess? is that why the crystal ponies need to be saved?

AAAHHHH THE SPECULATION!!!!

but I guarantee there will be snow. And I am HOPING to see a village kind of set up like vintage chalet cuckoo clocks, like I envision Marelia.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm guessing Canence's folks were offed by the evil guy we saw that one pic of which is floating around the interwebs..I'm sure he's an archduke, and we know those guys are ALWAYS evil. They're like the western versions of a Grand Vizier. Both usually have evil twirly mustaches, which they can twirl while either laughing at the hero or yelling at their comedy relief lackeys. "No No! Boo-Boo! The other lever! Not that one! Aiieeeee!"

Yeah, I'm guessing Canence's folks were offed by the evil guy we saw that one pic of which is floating around the interwebs..I'm sure he's an archduke, and we know those guys are ALWAYS evil. They're like the western versions of a Grand Vizier. Both usually have evil twirly mustaches, which they can twirl while either laughing at the hero or yelling at their comedy relief lackeys. "No No! Boo-Boo! The other lever! Not that one! Aiieeeee!"

LOL

Here's more food for thought: Is the making of the Crystal Kingdom a push from Hasbro specifically to hawk toys, or does it have special and integral meaning to the plot of FiM? Maybe a little of both? That's my guess.

Here's more food for thought: Is the making of the Crystal Kingdom a push from Hasbro specifically to hawk toys, or does it have special and integral meaning to the plot of FiM? Maybe a little of both? That's my guess.

That's a pretty darn good question. I guess we'll have to find out and see.

I don't think that either the Crystal Kingdom/Empire or "Unknown Villianous-Looking Pony" is connected to the Changelings in any way; a Changling mastermind would have probably taken on a more "fair" appearence rather than something obviously evil. As for Cadance... if she's supposed to be the rightful ruler of the Crystal Ponies, then how come she doesn't have funky eyes like the rest of her apparent subjects?

On that note, what exactly do the Crystal Ponies need saving from, anyway? Do their bodies transform into a more crystalline form due to some sort of curse or something (which could explain the fully-crystalized ponies of the toy line)? Do Dragons find Crystal Ponies very tasty to eat? :blah:

IOn that note, what exactly do the Crystal Ponies need saving from, anyway? Do their bodies transform into a more crystalline form due to some sort of curse or something (which could explain the fully-crystalized ponies of the toy line)?

Hmmm.... maybe it is a curse that instead of being normal ponies they exist as a crystalized form. Maybe Cadence will start becomming crystalized herself.

(Ironically, I'm staring at a quartz crystal cluster on my desk while typing this.)

Hmmm.... maybe it is a curse that instead of being normal ponies they exist as a crystalized form. Maybe Cadence will start becomming crystalized herself.

(Ironically, I'm staring at a quartz crystal cluster on my desk while typing this.)

Ok maybe you're right I guess we'll have to find out and see though.

i didn't read through everything, but personally i thought that by. her magic they meant love. perhaps the crystal pony's were fighting so much they forgot they were a nation, she had to put a love spell on them. and it wont last for ever, although i have no real idea.

While I enjoyed other theories, I'd like to comment on this one.

Perhaps the song is a play on words. When it says, "her magic will not last forever", it means a spell she cast will not last forever. So basically, they have to save the day before the spell wears off, in which something similar to what Flutterscotch described (forgetting about love and friendship) occurs. They have to make them see the light themselves before the spell keeping them 'sane' wears off. When that happens, the spell and curse type thing will wear off at the same time.

Perhaps the song is a play on words. When it says, "her magic will not last forever", it means a spell she cast will not last forever. So basically, they have to save the day before the spell wears off, in which something similar to what Flutterscotch described (forgetting about love and friendship) occurs. They have to make them see the light themselves before the spell keeping them 'sane' wears off. When that happens, the spell and curse type thing will wear off at the same time.

thats what i thought, like maybe the lesson would be 'don't forget who you are.'

I didn't think about it that way, but now that you mention it, that makes sense. This is especially true with the rest of the song which mentions what the ponies like (crystal berries, a crystal horn, etc). So maybe the ponies are perpetually unhappy and the fair is there to cheer them up. Maybe also this "dark pony" is causing the unhappiness too. Can we say Cadence vs. Big Bad Pony?

I didn't think about it that way, but now that you mention it, that makes sense. This is especially true with the rest of the song which mentions what the ponies like (crystal berries, a crystal horn, etc). So maybe the ponies are perpetually unhappy and the fair is there to cheer them up. Maybe also this "dark pony" is causing the unhappiness too. Can we say Cadence vs. Big Bad Pony?

All the things that you and Tales mentioned does seem the most likely thing to happen.

As the mane six all seem to be in the Crystal city and surrounding areas completely alone I'm going to put forward the idea that the crystal ponies are trapped/sleeping (within crystals?) and are fading along with their memories. They need to be shown who they are to wake up or regain the will to go on.

EDIT:- Or as Lux pointed out, turning into crystal....shudder....

Sadly when I try to fit the big bad into that though, I just end up with a matrix (etc) knock off plot of their sleeping forms being used for something else (energy/emotions).

Or maybe excessive emigration..... The crystal ponies are being tempted away to another land and they need to be shown their way of life is as good as the one they are going to (or that the one they are being tempted to isn't all that good with the big bad mistreating them once they arrive in his kingdom. EDIT:- There's your gruel Rosewind!)

EDIT:- Snow flake flag....Snow crystals...... 'I'm meeeeeeeeeltiiiiiiiiing!'

Oddly enough, what I'm kinda thinking about the most is where the Crystal Kingdom might go on Brianblackberry's map. That, and if this Crystal Kingdom has a more..... official name. It still bugs me that the Mushroom Kingdom from the Mario games only has that one name. It's like calling the USA "The Hamburger Country".

One last bit of randomness: Daring Do and the Kingdom of the Crystal Ponies, anyone? :20:

• Like 1