THE SHIPS HAVE SUNK

Silly Shadow!

This isn't a good attempt at trolling, you know.

Who started this though? It wasn't you, I saw it on tumblr awhile ago!

We suspect that, in secret, Shadow actually likes us and is trying to contribute without our knowing...

Applebloom and Spike are one of those ships I will never get.

I could see Applebloom and one of the male foals at her school though, in some ship that is akin to a schoolyard crush.

It's one of those ships that fanon content (specifically some really good art) made me partial to.

Actually I don't even look at canon at all when it comes to ships and why I ship them. It's entirely fanon based. I love ScootaBelle because they're both my favorite characters, their colors mesh well, and quite frankly I have the most fun drawing them together. I know there's no canon explanation, nor would I really want there to be as it'd change the dynamics of the show.

I openly support all shipping for 2 reasons.

1) The very premise behind shipping is love. Two characters however different or unlikely they are loving each other as friends, lovers, etc. The world needs more love, even in the pretend world.

2) Shipping is one of (if not the) most popular rout taken in visual art and writing in this fandom. Art is SO important to me, and anything that inspires others to create gets my support.

I can understand lots of people don't like shipping or think it's silly or gross or dumb (I get the suspicion Shadow doesn't like it very much). That's fine! Power to you! I for one love it.

It's one of those ships that fanon content (specifically some really good art) made me partial to.

Actually I don't even look at canon at all when it comes to ships and why I ship them. It's entirely fanon based. I love ScootaBelle because they're both my favorite characters, their colors mesh well, and quite frankly I have the most fun drawing them together. I know there's no canon explanation, nor would I really want there to be as it'd change the dynamics of the show.

I openly support all shipping for 2 reasons.

1) The very premise behind shipping is love. Two characters however different or unlikely they are loving each other as friends, lovers, etc. The world needs more love, even in the pretend world.

2) Shipping is one of (if not the) most popular rout taken in visual art and writing in this fandom. Art is SO important to me, and anything that inspires others to create gets my support.

I can understand lots of people don't like shipping or think it's silly or gross or dumb (I get the suspicion Shadow doesn't like it very much). That's fine! Power to you! I for one love it.

I don't oppose shipping on principle. Heck if you look at my gallery there are several shipping images, and I understand that it is purely fandom driven. There are certain kinds of ships I find personally revolting (incest ship, child-adult ship), and I dislike the concept some people have that certain ships are the only "legit" ones for particular characters, which is impossible to actually justify. Its ok to have your favorite ship and couple,but don't think it is the "rule" everyone else has to follow.

...I openly support all shipping for 2 reasons...

We live in a culture that tends to consider individuals incomplete until they are dating or married. This is a wrong and dangerous attitude.

And since nearly every narrative show in the world is feeding us this lie, it is refreshing to see one that does not.

So while I understand some amount of desire to ship two individuals, I worry about those that take it seriously. Surely some do see it from a healthy and fun perspective, but some see the series as incomplete without it.

hi hi

While drama certainly makes for entertaining television, it does not make for a good role model for real life behavior. It makes me a little distraught when I see people using bad advice from relationship dramas in their own personal lives, and that unpleasant real life experience has made it impossible for me to enjoy shipping when it reaches for the popular tropes.

It is often particularly silly in the context of Friendship is Magic because the characters are relatively so well adjusted that fic authors have to break them down in order to justify a ship. I can't count how many times I've seen the formula of "X fails at something and rethinks their life, and realizes that they really wanted Y all along but just never realized it, and that Y is actually more important to them than any of their original canon desires." (cue rolling of eyes.)

If you are cool with that, I'm not here to judge. (Celestia knows I'm interested in some rather odd things myself.) Just be wary when using relationship dramas to guide your own life.

• Like 3

Those people would be loons

The problem is that many well adjusted and intelligent people fall into that trap. And not only well adjusted and intelligent people, but me too! When an idea breaks through a critical threshold, people start to see it as normal, even if it is harmful.

It makes me a little distraught when I see people using bad advice from relationship dramas in their own personal lives, and that unpleasant real life experience has made it impossible for me to enjoy shipping when it reaches for the popular tropes.

I understand.

It can be painful to watch to watch people drive their life off a cliff. But it is horrifying to realize that they didn't learn anything from it. Some bits of knowledge are too ingrained to break.

Haven't you seen the pic Stern saying he's a brony? It's not that hard to shop DA/Twitter messages...

MLP is a children's show, so they won't hassle the topic of relationships. The target audience is somewhere between 8-10, and if they wish to better the world's future, they would keep it the show itself pure. The internet has done some pretty crazy stuff to the show, and if this was true, R34 would grow CUHRAZAY!

MLP is a children's show, so they won't hassle the topic of relationships. The target audience is somewhere between 8-10, and if they wish to better the world's future, they would keep it the show itself pure.

I don't understand these two sentences.

Are you saying you think MLP is specifically avoiding dating for the sake of the target audience?

That may be true, but hopefully it is not because they are shying away from a challenging topic, and it is because it is more relevant/helpful to talk about other types of relationships.

Sadly, the series (G1-G4) is still around to market to the toys. While Ms. Faust made a wonderful show, it's purpose is still the same, just in a nicer package.

Sadly, the series (G1-G4) is still around to market to the toys. While Ms. Faust made a wonderful show, it's purpose is still the same, just in a nicer package.

I find this hard to hear because it undercuts the motivations of each person working on the show. If I was on the team, I could invest myself, my desires and motivations while still keeping the bottom line in mind. Restrictions breed creativity. The more strangling the requirements, the harder I would try to turn the product into something special.

Even if a writer has to answer to Hasbro to the toy selling potential of a particular episode, do you think they make that their only priority? Ultimately, they must know that if an episode makes us smile, laugh, creates a meaningful memory, or causes us to invite others into the herd, they are going to create the desire to buy toys naturally. And better than a 22 minute infomercial could.

hi hi

When it comes to creativity, money is a poor motivator. The truth of the matter is that when you deal with any sort of mental work rather than physical work,

It keeps people thinking about money and not what they're supposed to be thinking about. The quality displayed by Friendship is Magic leads me to believe that, at least for the people who are actually making the product, passion and genuine interest are at the heart of their efforts.
  • Like 2

I know that money is a poor motivator when it comes to creativity. It's just that the people in charge don't care about money. We aren't talking about morals here, we're tlaking about ship and whether or not it's legitimate. Nobody want's to make something that is bad, so the creative dept. works hard to make a quality product which is their job. However, the marketing dept.'s job is to make $$$ for their employer, and if that means butchering a show because it would be financially wise, then that's what they'll do. Now, FIM is special in the case that they lucked out and got:

1) Lauren Faust is an established artist in her field, thus she already had respect.

2) The show worked for both parties. What the creative dept. made was what the public wanted and what trends showed the public wanted.

Not ALL businesses are like this. This is a rather radical thing...but Hasbro has done some considerably radical things.

Again, this is a totally fake DA message. Even if RD turns out to have a BF, Faust couldn't have been sure due to her uninvolvement with S3.

When it comes to creativity, money is a poor motivator. The truth of the matter is that when you deal with any sort of mental work rather than physical work,
It keeps people thinking about money and not what they're supposed to be thinking about. The quality displayed by Friendship is Magic leads me to believe that, at least for the people who are actually making the product, passion and genuine interest are at the heart of their efforts.

With Magic the Gathering, Hasbro has proven that they will keep their hands off a product that is doing well. Even when people started leaving the game in droves during the Urza's Saga block, they gave Wizards a chance to self correct rather than forcing something down their throats.