Welcoming Posts (user rant - not a question directed at staff)

frenzyhero

Welcoming posts.

I do NOT have a solution for the following, so don't expect to see one. YOU may not even see the problem I have.

The posts that welcome new users are severly lacking any actual content. Most of them are cookie-cutter and not even the good ones with a cute video or something. A good post to welcome a new user should (in my honest opinion) address points the new user made in his or her original post. If THEIR post lacks suitable content, then you could go out of your way and ask them about any hobbies or the like. It's called a WELCOMING PLAZA. To make somebody feel welcome you need to make it look as though you care, and asking somebody about themselves is one of the best ways to do that. So I'm asking people to just give some longer and better posts when welcoming new users. It gives them a better first impression of the forum and it makes them more likely to stay and become a productive user of the community.

I know I'm a new user here, but this is a problem I've seen. I think the Plaza should be the kindest, selfless, and most inviting place on the forum, because it's usually the first place a new member will see.

• Like 1

It isn't anyone's job to lay out the red carpet and treat every new member like they are gold nuggets raining from the sky. People could just not post there at all if they're getting flack for getting involved, so complaining about those that do involve themselves is sour apples.

• Like 7

I'm sorry, but take a look at some of these fine pieces of literature. They must feel one so welcome and wanted. If you aren't going to go big, then go home.

Welcome to Canterlot.

:)

Welcome to Canterlot! :D

Welcome to Canterlot, hope you like it here :)

Hi, welcome to Canterlot. :)

Welcome to Canterlot! Hope you have tons of fun here! :D

See, a welcoming video. That's all we'd need.

Hello and welcome to canterlot. Awesome profile picture

If you don't have access to it, you probably have access to their pic. THREE words. It only takes three words for a welcome to be so much better.

Names and timestamps have been edited to protect identities.

Really, I don't like to complain, but you all have such an amazing gallery section, surely some of you are wordsmiths.

I like to make a nice welcome. It attracts users, and when they grow up to be big and strong users, you have someone who looks and says, "hey, there's that guy who bothered with grammar," or "hey, she posted a really cool vid!"

It's a welcome thread. It isn't supposed to be anything more than a cursory welcome and introduction to the forum. No one is obligated to participate there and we aren't going to police for some sort of quality control there. If anything, your attitude in this matter makes the forum far more unwelcoming than any amount of cookie cutter welcoming posts could ever be. My advice is to stop making a mountain out of a pebble.

• Like 5

It isn't just about what is said, but how many people take the time to post.

If you feel more should be said, then say more. Otherwise, let those who choose to welcome new users welcome them in their own way, whether it is personalized or c/p. Personally I don't see how it is any of your business what others do to welcome new users. And not once has a new user said "is that all?"

I think the way everyone welcomes other users is just fine.

Not to mention, do you have a long speech ready for when you welcome people to your house or a party whether you know them or not in real life? Chances are you say "hello" and nothing more until a conversation is struck up. Why should it be any different on the internet?

Tl;dr: it isn't about how much is said, rather the simple act of acknowledgement.

• Like 6

I know personally, every once in awhile I'll comment on an avatar or something the user has said. But sometimes, they only give a one sentence Introduction, or I'm not interested in any of the things they say they like. But I still want to welcome them. You might suggest I ask questions of the 'one sentence' people, but generally by the time I get to the thread, someone else already has.

Also keep in mind that we don't want to overwhelm new users. If they get pestered with 20 questions, they'll spend their time in the welcome forum instead of in other areas where there is discussion and Roleplay happening. The welcome forum isn't really a place for socializing. It's a place for welcoming. If a user has signed up, chances are they've already made up their mind whether to stay or not. Heck, some users don't even bother with an intro. They jump right in and post an character Application with their first post. They don't want to bother with being welcomed. They just want to participate.

In my personal experience, I feel good enough just being welcomed. I have joined other forums before, and it's not so much quality as it is quantity in that area. Sometimes users will ask questions, sometimes they won't. A slew of videos, I would say, is less welcoming than a c/p.

• Like 5

Names and timestamps have been edited to protect identities.

Actually, No they weren't - just have to point that out here.

Contrary to belief, There's no reccomended uniform method on how to post a welcoming post, so there really is NO reason to be pushing this issue as hard as you appear to be.

Whilst it's genuinely appreciated that you're concerned, you're coming off more aggressive about it overall than you actually need to be - sure this isn't exactly rocket science, but telling others that they simply aren't 'doing good enough' as a welcoming post and that you personally 'expect' more than they may realistically want to give is in itself NOT really much of a 'welcoming' method, nor are you truly forwarding the cause you intend.

As Tales says above - most folks don't even post more than 2 times in their thread anyway, so you may just be overthinking it a little too much.

• Like 3

If you feel that more substantial welcome posts are required, then you are welcome to do so yourself; no one is barring you or any of the other members of the community from welcoming new users. Being hostile about whether people should or shouldn't do so wastes your time and ours.

TL;DR - Welcome others the way you want to welcome them. Don't get on people's cases for the welcomes they choose to issue. Thread locked.

• Like 6