Favorite Movie Tracks

Tenkan

I love to listen to a films soundtrack after I watch it. It's almost half the movie, and plays a big role in telling the story just as much as everything else.

There are so, so, SO many movies we all enjoyed, and they've all got their own soundtrack.

From character themes to battle sequence tracks, whether they're originally composed or featuring an indy band or a popular singer, feel free to share your favorites here! :D

I recently watched Prometheus...

...it carries such a weight with it's religiously symbolic plot, but plays out in such a discreet way. Nonetheless, it shows how one's struggle for knowledge is more rewarding than that of superficial gain.

This. So much. Hans Zimmer is a genius, and the Inception soundtrack is a friggin masterpiece. Not just cos it sounds great, but for because...

Now that's truly using every tool available to enhance the narrative..

I totally agree. I've got so many Hans Zimmer favorites, I can barely count them, and this is one of them for sure. :D

The Prince of Egypt has some excellent songs.

Here is the premier song in all the languages spliced together:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3BmHcP5e9Y[/media]

I've always wanted to watch that movie! Although it might be a little different with specific details to what I read about the Prophet Moses (pbuh), the whole story is pretty much the same.

I've always wanted to watch that movie! Although it might be a little different with specific details to what I read about the Prophet Moses (pbuh), the whole story is pretty much the same.

Well beyond the crazy awesome music...they took some gentle creative liberties, like having Moses killing the Egyptian be an accident, and having Pharaoh be Moses' brother, but the overall story is remarkably intact and respected. There are three different types of animation seamlessly woven together, the pacing is wonderful, the characters are multidimensional, and even though you know how it will end, it is very emotional. It is highly recommended.

I've always been a sucker for John William's early soundtracks, especially the ones for the Star Wars Original Trilogy and Indiana Jones films. I honestly wouldn't know where to start, so here's a good track as any:

http://youtu.be/wgXiEnkAquY

That part after 1:10 always gets to me.

• Like 1

For a film about reborn dinosaurs breaking loose and tearing people up to shreds, John Williams succeeds in making Jurassic Park stand for something more meaningful and reveals to you that there's more to the movie than the eye can see.

Well beyond the crazy awesome music...they took some gentle creative liberties, like having Moses killing the Egyptian be an accident, and having Pharaoh be Moses' brother, but the overall story is remarkably intact and respected. There are three different types of animation seamlessly woven together, the pacing is wonderful, the characters are multidimensional, and even though you know how it will end, it is very emotional. It is highly recommended.

Pharaoh be Moses' brother? Good gosh, I think that's quite a change! I would've preferred it if he stayed his foster father.

Errr, then again, I guess artists make changes like this for special reasons that will prove more affective when telling the story.

I've always been a sucker for John William's early soundtracks, especially the ones for the Star Wars Original Trilogy and Indiana Jones films. I honestly wouldn't know where to start, so here's a good track as any:

http://youtu.be/wgXiEnkAquY

That part after 1:10 always gets to me.

Aaah, total feelings of nostalgia here, and that part always gets me too.

The powerful Darth Vader finally finds someone who could outmatch him...his very own son. :smug:

I don't know why, although I do like the prequels too, the sequel trilogy will always give me that same feeling it did when I watched it as a kid.

I wish I could pick everything from the Lord of the Rings, but alas, I cannot. So I'll have to settle for this one, simply because of how it perfectly captures the utter epicness (and there is no better word) of the soundtrack. Magnificent.

• Like 2

Although we've already spoken of Hans Zimmer, there's no harm in sharing more of his work, right? ;)

Under the 'Kick butt Action' category list, I feel like this one's almost at the top of it. I honestly can't help but listen to this and think how symbolic it is in many ways. The length of the track itself is an example of how long a fight for justice would take, and how hard the struggle will be to defeat such a cancerous and deep routed evil. Being a good guy ain't easy, kids.

4:00 minutes in and I already feel like going around the streets and beating up goons.

http://youtu.be/0ztc-ZoPmKw

thsisntacar.jpg

I see Hans Zimmer has already been mentioned...

I love the Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron soundtrack.

...And Stephen Schwartz - Prince of Egypt, credits also include:

Sweet tracks. :)

Regretfully, I haven't watched any of these two films. Am I missing a childhood or what?

I wish I could pick everything from the Lord of the Rings, but alas, I cannot. So I'll have to settle for this one, simply because of how it perfectly captures the utter epicness (and there is no better word) of the soundtrack. Magnificent.

That's what I'm talking about. ;)

Got two:

Mark Mancia, who did Twister, Sahara, and a good number of movies. The first song to play in Twister is my favourite short movie track of all time. It fits the scene perfect, because it's just...it's amazing. It shows a long shot of Kansas in mid-summer, with a perfect blue sky, the rolling fields, and the song just expertly conveys that sense of a beautiful summer day. It also serves as the basis for most of the soundtrack (One song, "Going Green", uses it again, among others, like the end theme, "Respect the Wind").

And Michael Giacchino, who's credits include Ratatouille, Up, and the newest Star Trek. I especially love the soundtrack for Ratatouille, mostly because I love Pixar, which manages to blend music, storytelling, and animation into one beautiful package.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XceZV8bRGy8

Sweet tracks. :)

Regretfully, I haven't watched any of these two films. Am I missing a childhood or what?

Oh my glob. How have you been living? I mean, Prince of Egypt I can see avoiding because of religious content (although the soundtrack is pretty bang-up and the story of course has it's own spin on the Bible story, and it is a good story anyway), but The Hunchback of Notre Dame is a Disney classic! Also, soundtrack and story is pretty intense. And the end is not quite typical of Disney. Just... just got watch.

I know Hans Zimmer has already been mentioned, but I just had to show one of my favorite themes of his (from The Rock):

Just like with the Williams piece I posted previously, the first 3:30 minutes of this track never fails to move me in some fashion.

I know Hans Zimmer has already been mentioned, but I just had to show one of my favorite themes of his (from The Rock):

Just like with the Williams piece I posted previously, the first 3:30 minutes of this track never fails to move me in some fashion.

Is there a track Hans does that isn't satisfying to listen to?

I don't know why, the poster and music fittingly sort of reminds me of C&C: Red Alert. And the trumpets used remind me of Empire: Total War. :P

Oh my glob. How have you been living? I mean, Prince of Egypt I can see avoiding because of religious content (although the soundtrack is pretty bang-up and the story of course has it's own spin on the Bible story, and it is a good story anyway), but The Hunchback of Notre Dame is a Disney classic! Also, soundtrack and story is pretty intense. And the end is not quite typical of Disney. Just... just got watch.

Okay, okay, I'll watch it somehow! :-|

• 2 weeks later...

Movie nerd time!!!!! :D

Movie soundtracks are designed to give tone and feel to the movie helping to compliment the action and move it forward. When it is done right, you barely notice it working its magic until you hear the music again on its own, letting it bring back the memory of the awesomness you saw.

Here's an example: Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho. The soundtrack is uncomfortable,and Hitchcock did tgat on purpose. He wanted to unnerve his audience, which is what makes Psycho so frightening. The melody reminds one of running primally from something uncomfortable.

I really admire Hitchcock as a film maker. I am using some of his inspiration in a zombie series I am writing an want to film.

• Like 1