Happy Birthday, Friendship is Magic!

Rosewind

Two years ago on this day, October 10th, 2010, the fourth generation cartoon about colorful pastel equines aired, to low expectations from all. What followed was never expected -- it blew up! It shattered gender/age stigmas and barriers. It became a phenomenon. A fandom. Most importantly, it became a huge global community. It gave people hope, and helped improve the lives of thousands through its message of friendship and awesome, which continues on to this day. FiM has a way of bringing people together for something positive and fantastic.

[colour=#dda0dd]Happy Birthday, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic![/colour] :Pinkie: Here's to many more birthdays, and many more great times together! :Pinkie:

k9uee.gif

How did you first discover FiM? What was your first episode? What is your current all-time favorite episode and why? What is your hope for the future of FiM? Discuss!

• Like 7

I was /pressured/ by two very good friends of mine to give it a shot. It stuck with me. :P

Clearly "A Royal Canterlot Wedding" must be my personal favourite episode so far. It was the first episode I watched in a meetup, it had several awesome songs in it, and Chrysalis is just a great villain.[colour=#ffffff] (And darn sexy)[/colour]

I kinda hope they stay true to what the show made awesome in the first place. Shoutouts are awesome and all, and I love seeing them, but it shouldn't be at the cost of what made this the phenomenon that it is.

Congrats to Hasbro for creating a wonderful show. The show is smarty, funny, and full of joy. Without ponies, I would not have considered writing fanfics or drawing as I do now. I also would have not meet a bunch of wonderful ponies to RP with! I woludn't have enjoyed the mulitiude of fan art I've looked at, fanfics I've read, and fan music i've listened to this past year and a half.

I first discovered FiM on accident on May of 2011. I was at home, surfing through the channels when there I saw ponies on TV! The episode was Winter Wrap Up, and I was hooked but how well made the show was, the great characters, and let's not forget the song!

From there the show led to fan art, writing, and music, delving more into the pony lore. Then on December 21, 2011 I joined this wonderful place called Canterlot.com. Shortly after, I decided to try my hoof at writing fanfics and fan art. And the rest they say is history.

I have neumerous favorite episodes like Luna Eclipsed, Return of the Elements part 1 and 2, Applebuck Seson, the Running of the Leaves, Sisterhooves Social, Hearth's Warming Eve, etc. i admit I need to rewatch some while I'm waiting with season 3.

Now, what I expect for the future is for it to keep with the theme. Sure I'd love to see new places, characters, and vilians, but as long as the core of the show is kept intact, then I will be happy. I expect more music, art and writing to appear. I also expect to be here still, RPing with my merry band of characters and meeting new ponies along the way.

Thanks for spotting this date, Rosie. I had no idea :P

Anyway...

WOOOOOOOOOO!!

I was first introduced to the show through a series I usually watched on Screwattack.com called 'Death Battle'. People will know what I'm talking about if they've seen it :)

Here's to more ponies, more years and more bronies! :D

I'm not quite sure when I first heard of FiM, but I do remember looking at preview clips of the Discord episodes over at the MLP topic in one of the forums I lurked at (a Star Wars forum, as a matter of fact). It was at this same forum where I started browsing fanart. Of course, it was only last June when I finally watched the first episode. I can't name an outright-favorite episode off the top of my head, I hope the show lasts for at least a few more years.

Happy birthday!!!

Almost forgot about the second anniversary! I managed to put together a special video, although nothing really special:

[/media

Now on to the general questions.

[colour=#282828]1. How did you first discover FiM?[/colour]

As mentioned in my introduction thread, I found the show in the most unusual of ways. It began one evening while I was doing some maintenance on my website and I was watching some YouTube Poop (video remix style) videos. I came across one of cs188's newest videos which featured a few of the episodes in a remix format. From there, I soon discovered the 6 to 10 second clips of the show and after that, I watched my first episode a few days later.

[colour=#282828]2. What was your first episode?[/colour]

The first episode that I saw was Sisterhooves Social. For me, it was a direct crash course into the show.

[colour=#282828]3. What is your current all-time favorite episode and why?[/colour]

No contest for this one, my favourite all time episode is Hurricane Fluttershy. This episode really hits home for me and for a good reason. I couldn't put this into words directly, but seeing Fluttershy being bullied and literally in tears reflected my experiences in high school where I was sadly the victim of bullying for four straight years. It was also the first ever episode I saw live to air as it happened, although it was in the early hours of Sunday morning. (2:00am)

[colour=#282828]4. What is your hope for the future of FiM?[/colour]

For me, being an international brony isn't easy with the local broadcaster not doing the show any justice here in Australia. For example, the show here airs on pay TV and the channel just keeps repeating random episodes of season one over and over again. Also combine the poor picture and sound quality on the channel, and that's why the local fans are forced to go "underground" and resort to methods which cannot be mentioned on this forum to get new episodes. Also fans here are forced to wait up to two years or more until new episodes are aired.

My vision for the show in the future is for Hasbro to allow global access to new episodes at the same time as the US through various methods such as video streaming sites like Netflix or upcoming Hoyts Stream service here. I believe in a new era of content distribution through digital means and same time global access. I think FiM is setting an example that fans want the episodes sooner, rather than later and the old way of distributing the show (country by country deals, delays etc) is starting to look out of date.

• Like 1

Woo-hoo! Two years of an awesome show!

How did you first discover FiM?

One of my friends told me about it. He was a brony long before I was.

What was your first episode?

The very first episode, of course! I had to be traditional!

What is your current all-time favorite episode and why?

Hurricane Fluttershy. Why? Because it's centered around Fluttershy.

What is your hope for the future of FiM?

I don't really have any hopes for the future, because the show is awesome enough as it is. The only thing I can think of is more Fluttershy-centric episodes. :lol:

How did you first discover FiM? What was your first episode? What is your current all-time favorite episode and why? What is your hope for the future of FiM? Discuss!

I first heard about it back in February of 2011. I took one look at it, rolled my eyes and expressed that it could never be something that interested me. Three months later, in late May, a friend of mine brought it up again. Unlike the people I knew who had been into it prior to this point, this was a friend I couldn't at that point see as being into ponies, but he was and he also showed me some fanart. I was intrigued. I headed to youtube at once. There, I think I watched all of season one in under two days. Not many weeks later, I was writing my first MLP fanfics. By Juy I had sought out a pony forum and joined Canerlot.

My first episode was the first episode. Had to start at the beginning. It was good enough to convince me to keep watching. By episode four I was sold and by episode five, I was entranced.

My favorite episode is Sonic Rainboom. For a number of reasons really. For one, shipping reasons; its the episode that sold me on my mane ship, RariDash and its still the episode that best supports. For another, i love the way Rarity acts in the episode; it's just so over the top and ridiculous, but also just so much fun, even if it isn't her most positive moment. It's also Dash's best episode by far. It was one of the first episodes to introduce a new fully-realized setting and Cloudsdale looks great. Also it's just a well written, exciting episode. Runner ups would probably be the wedding episodes for sheer unbelievable quality and Last Roundup for extremely memorable usage of practically every pony.

What do I hope for? More episodes focused on the relationship between Rarity and Dash, maybe? Seriously though, what I hope is just that it lasts; that season 3 is as amazing as what came before it, that this movie they may be doing blows us away, that season four comes and comes quickly and that the comic kills it on the sales charts and is as amazing as I think it will be.

Wow...two years...

I'll be the first to admit that I never saw a single second of the show until 9 months after...but I can certainly see that 2 years later, this is no longer a cult phenomenon. We are A FANDOM. It's incredible to think that we all formed together for a "show for little girls", all thanks to a single topic on the cesspool known as 4chan.

Heck, my best friend Hayden (ChillzMaster on here) explained today that he found that very topic, and realized that one single member on there bumped the topic after a long while....Can you imagine? That simple of an event has given rise to this big a fandom. Without that bump by that single soul, we may have never been here, and neither EqD would have existed either, and the show would probably have faded into obscurity...

Truly, it makes you wonder about the world. It makes you embrace how we're all here, sharing the magic of friendship that the show has shown to be so true...in general, you can't help but marvel at how incredible this has become.

Over the course of a few months, I had begun to notice bits of the fandom leaking onto forums I frequented. I'd see signatures with "Derpy Hooves" in them, and avatars of "Twilight Sparkle" and all these sorts of odd things that I'd never known. After doing a fragment of research, I found a topic on an Ed, Edd, n Eddy forum I go on that was dedicated to discussion on FiM. After reading through the topic, I realized from the people talking about it that it could've very well been a great show. However, thinking it'd be fun, I decided to watch the show and realize I hated it so I could criticize it and rub it in all of the fans' faces.

I turned on The Hub one day, pinpointed the next airing, and turned the show on on a faithful Wednesday afternoon in late July. I watched "Suited for Success". I laughed at some of the jokes, I enjoyed the songs that were included, and everything in it seemed...genuine. I knew for a fact I needed to watch the show again...The next day, I watched "Winter Wrap Up". Another episode the next day. Then another. Then another...

...After about a week or so, I realized the impossible...I had become a Brony. :smirk:

As stated, my very first episode was "Suited for Success". I've always been told it's a HORRID episode to start a non-fan on, but somehow it interested me. Turns out, it was the perfect kick-start for me...

[colour=#282828]3. What is your current all-time favorite episode and why?[/colour]

I find myself NOT counting the Royal Wedding or Return of Harmony because they're expected to be excellent. They'll trump any episode because there's just simply more time dedicated to a two-parter, so I find it unfair to name them as my favorites when comparing episodes (Though, if I had to, "A Canterlot Wedding Part 2" is my absolute favorite episode).

My general pick for my favorite episode of all is "Hurricane Fluttershy". Everything just WORKS in the episode. The emotion between Fluttershy and Dash, the atmosphere created by the tension and need for performance, the humor is written and spoken perfectly, and the whole plot runs so smoothly that it's unbelievable. In general, I consider it the best episode of the series, hands down.

What I personally hope for the future of FiM is that it never loses that charm that it began with. The characters are full of charm, the stories are wonderfully-written and the animation is gorgeous at its best moments. It makes me feel like a child again, watching something like "Dexter's Laboratory" or "Ed, Edd, n Eddy". I personally hope it never stops being as fun as it is, and I hope it never stops inspiring so many people to do good, or be good people. After all, that's what it's done to me. I just hope it never stops being the show it is...the biggest surprise you've ever seen. :smug:

And on a personal note...I want to thank you. Not just you on that monitor right there at home, not just this very forum, but EVERYONE. The crew, the cast, the Bronies in general...I've been changed so much by you all. I gave this show a try, my heart never ready to take upon the idea of loving a show about multicolored ponies, and it's quickly opened it much wider than I could imagine.

Through so many challenges of being a part of this fandom, from kids at my school teasing me for a short time to MY OWN PARENTS coming close to forbidding me from being part of the fandom, it's given my life new things to experience. Not only this, but it's allowed me to feel like a kid again. Waking up on Saturday mornings to tune into my favorite show in the world, I feel like I'm 8-years old on Christmas morning. Never have I felt this way about any show in my life, maybe because it's an opportunity for new fandom inspiration and to see what great things they'll do with it, or maybe it's because I'm just so excited to see the Mane 6's next adventure in Ponyville...

I've gained new friends, young and old, and met people with hearts of gold. I've heard stories that truly warm my heart and inspire me to do good. I've had the most fun in my lifetime with people I've never met, but somehow know thanks to the simple shared interest of a simple show.

...but somehow, it isn't a simple show anymore. Somehow, we're here today discussing avidly about a "show for little girls". Somehow, we're all best friends already thanks to this show.

I thank you for everything you guys here have done, I thank (most) of my family and friends for being so helpful and supportive in my interest, even JOINING ME in my interest!

Finally, I thank every single person to ever give this show a chance...it truly shows every person can have an open heart...and frankly, that's all we ever needed to start this fandom...

Thank you, thank you, thank you... <3

134965264947.jpg

• Like 1

Happy birthday to that wonderful show that gave this bitter old man faith in American cartooning again. I'm warmer for it. I'm happier for it. I'm getting back into good habits again! I'm drawing, I'm roleplaying and heck, I'm eating more apples than I ever have before. Thank you, Lauren Faust and the entire creative team! And thank you Canterlot, for letting me share this gift.

I think my first episode (I forget at this point) was somewhere along in the late middles. Maybe Feeling Pinkie Keen. My favorite episode? Officially? I'll get back to you on that.

Wow...two years...

I'll be the first to admit that I never saw a single second of the show until 9 months after...but I can certainly see that 2 years later, this is no longer a cult phenomenon. We are A FANDOM. It's incredible to think that we all formed together for a "show for little girls", all thanks to a single topic on the cesspool known as 4chan.

Heck, my best friend Hayden (ChillzMaster on here) explained today that he found that very topic, and realized that one single member on there bumped the topic after a long while....Can you imagine? That simple of an event has given rise to this big a fandom. Without that bump by that single soul, we may have never been here, and neither EqD would have existed either, and the show would probably have faded into obscurity...

Truly, it makes you wonder about the world. It makes you embrace how we're all here, sharing the magic of friendship that the show has shown to be so true...in general, you can't help but marvel at how incredible this has become.

Over the course of a few months, I had begun to notice bits of the fandom leaking onto forums I frequented. I'd see signatures with "Derpy Hooves" in them, and avatars of "Twilight Sparkle" and all these sorts of odd things that I'd never known. After doing a fragment of research, I found a topic on an Ed, Edd, n Eddy forum I go on that was dedicated to discussion on FiM. After reading through the topic, I realized from the people talking about it that it could've very well been a great show. However, thinking it'd be fun, I decided to watch the show and realize I hated it so I could criticize it and rub it in all of the fans' faces.

I turned on The Hub one day, pinpointed the next airing, and turned the show on on a faithful Wednesday afternoon in late July. I watched "Suited for Success". I laughed at some of the jokes, I enjoyed the songs that were included, and everything in it seemed...genuine. I knew for a fact I needed to watch the show again...The next day, I watched "Winter Wrap Up". Another episode the next day. Then another. Then another...

...After about a week or so, I realized the impossible...I had become a Brony. :smirk:

As stated, my very first episode was "Suited for Success". I've always been told it's a HORRID episode to start a non-fan on, but somehow it interested me. Turns out, it was the perfect kick-start for me...

I find myself NOT counting the Royal Wedding or Return of Harmony because they're expected to be excellent. They'll trump any episode because there's just simply more time dedicated to a two-parter, so I find it unfair to name them as my favorites when comparing episodes (Though, if I had to, "A Canterlot Wedding Part 2" is my absolute favorite episode).

My general pick for my favorite episode of all is "Hurricane Fluttershy". Everything just WORKS in the episode. The emotion between Fluttershy and Dash, the atmosphere created by the tension and need for performance, the humor is written and spoken perfectly, and the whole plot runs so smoothly that it's unbelievable. In general, I consider it the best episode of the series, hands down.

What I personally hope for the future of FiM is that it never loses that charm that it began with. The characters are full of charm, the stories are wonderfully-written and the animation is gorgeous at its best moments. It makes me feel like a child again, watching something like "Dexter's Laboratory" or "Ed, Edd, n Eddy". I personally hope it never stops being as fun as it is, and I hope it never stops inspiring so many people to do good, or be good people. After all, that's what it's done to me. I just hope it never stops being the show it is...the biggest surprise you've ever seen. :smug:

And on a personal note...I want to thank you. Not just you on that monitor right there at home, not just this very forum, but EVERYONE. The crew, the cast, the Bronies in general...I've been changed so much by you all. I gave this show a try, my heart never ready to take upon the idea of loving a show about multicolored ponies, and it's quickly opened it much wider than I could imagine.

Through so many challenges of being a part of this fandom, from kids at my school teasing me for a short time to MY OWN PARENTS coming close to forbidding me from being part of the fandom, it's given my life new things to experience. Not only this, but it's allowed me to feel like a kid again. Waking up on Saturday mornings to tune into my favorite show in the world, I feel like I'm 8-years old on Christmas morning. Never have I felt this way about any show in my life, maybe because it's an opportunity for new fandom inspiration and to see what great things they'll do with it, or maybe it's because I'm just so excited to see the Mane 6's next adventure in Ponyville...

I've gained new friends, young and old, and met people with hearts of gold. I've heard stories that truly warm my heart and inspire me to do good. I've had the most fun in my lifetime with people I've never met, but somehow know thanks to the simple shared interest of a simple show.

...but somehow, it isn't a simple show anymore. Somehow, we're here today discussing avidly about a "show for little girls". Somehow, we're all best friends already thanks to this show.

I thank you for everything you guys here have done, I thank (most) of my family and friends for being so helpful and supportive in my interest, even JOINING ME in my interest!

Finally, I thank every single person to ever give this show a chance...it truly shows every person can have an open heart...and frankly, that's all we ever needed to start this fandom...

Thank you, thank you, thank you... <3

134965264947.jpg

I couldn't have said it better myself, *sniff*

Come on everypony give djbrowneh a hug, no, not just me hug all your friends, family members and girlfriends or wifes, the rest of this day, shall be love and kindness all round, let eachother know you care.

From this point on, every post on the date of October 10th must have a brohoof or a hug at the end of the post.

Anypony that sees this, spread the word.

/)

Wow. Two years, already? Has it been that long?

Beautiful.

The show puts a smile on my face, but the brony community puts a much bigger smile on my face and makes me feel all warm inside. Thank you all for being so awesome and such brilliant people to speak with and how each and every one of you truly do make a difference to the community, whether you realize it or not.

I'm very thankful to be around such great company. I love you all. :smirk: