Establishing a 'Magical Guild' in Canterlot!

PIJIN

Haha, Licorice has a caravan too. Umm, really, she could be ANYWHERE, just because she's that kind of character, so I'm good with wherever. :3

jolly_co_operation_by_sym_kensaki-d4fwek6.jpg

Licorice and Gear will get along great possibly, let us engage in JOLLY COOPERATION when the time comes!

Probably post flyers at the popular spots for magic using ponies...libraries....bookstores...magic stores..college campuses...

Sounds legit, but I don't think LM's OC would be able to print out a huge amount of flyers; not without some serious dough. Maybe sticking an ad in The Canterlot Times would do?

Doesn't have to be huge..Just a few..They're not going to plaster them all over Canterlot. Just a few posted on bulletin boards in pubs, book stores, etc...And then the guild could then hope word spreads...Friends will bring friends, sisters will bring brothers..etc..

Licorice and Gear will get along great possibly, let us engage in JOLLY COOPERATION when the time comes!

Heck yessss they will!! =D I'm so excited for this ^^ Also, I vote an add in the times.

Oh, man, this is a great idea. It was exciting just to read this thread up to this point. :'D

If you're still after ponies, I'd love very much to participate. My OC would be extremely interested in something like this! He even lives in Canterlot and is a professor at the university, and actually formally calls himself a wizard. He'd be great for picking up recruits and would undoubtedly be an extremely active member despite his other duties, since he is driven by a perpetual search to learn the fundamental nature of Time, something that he feels is tied intrinsically to magic.

I need to bop off right now, but I'll ruminate a little and see if I can offer anything to the discussion. I really like the idea of posters so far--it seems like the easiest way to reach the most ponies.

That would be a very interesting hook, Tacobob! Perhaps through some sort of history class geared towards myth, relevant to Pocket Change's focus on Archaeology?

Concerning the guild itself, I'm still a little unclear on the issue with the Guild Master. I don't think we have anyone who's volunteered a character yet, if I'm quite correct. Since this seems to be an issue, what if the guild were to be run by a sort of Guild Council, instead, with each member of the Council presiding over and responsible for some specific aspect of the guild's function? Major matters could be brought to a vote. If some sort of tie-breaker is really sorely required, maybe there's some kind of old artifact linked to the unicorns of history that can be consulted--a sentient book, perhaps! (Plus points if it has a witty sense of humor.)

This would also open more positions, I think, and make it more flexible to add new sections to the guild--just find and appoint a pony who's proven themselves capable of being a competent Council member, fill out some paperwork, and it's good to go.

The last time we talked about the Guild Master role, the general consensus seemed to be that it would be decided by whatever character felt like a leader the most during the first job.

Pocket is a very lazy pony. He'd just grab the eldest and most experienced unicorn he had access to...Which would probably be Clockwise...And while he might not scream LEADER as others might, it's something he can grow into..And while a charismatic natural born leader type would make sense in reality for such a thing, dropping an guy like Clockwise into the position would be far more fun for RP'ing. :geek:

I like the council idea, though they'd probably still have a guild master and then leaders for each branch of magic.

on the topic off the guild master; though Abbot is an earth pony, he could probably manage it considering he helped run a school before leaving his uncle.

He'd have a bit of trouble with charisma, especially since he'd be one of a few non-unicorn members.

I could definitely see him as either a traveling member helping those in need or a teacher for the guild.

Pocket is a very lazy pony. He'd just grab the eldest and most experienced unicorn he had access to...Which would probably be Clockwise...And while he might not scream LEADER as others might, it's something he can grow into..And while a charismatic natural born leader type would make sense in reality for such a thing, dropping an guy like Clockwise into the position would be far more fun for RP'ing. :geek:

Hahaha, that would be fun! I don't know that Clockwise would accept, but it would be a great reason to have him show up. He's very fond of his students, and wouldn't want to disappoint. Depending on how things turn out, of course, it's possible that he could feel obligated, in which case he'd try it and possibly be hilariously bad at it. Then again, though, since he's very passionate about magic at heart, he might surprise himself. I actually don't know for certain how such an arrangement would go.

[colour=#282828]I like the council idea, though they'd probably still have a guild master and then leaders for each branch of magic.[/colour]

[colour=#282828]on the topic off the guild master; though Abbot is an earth pony, he could probably manage it considering he helped run a school before leaving his uncle.[/colour]

[colour=#282828]He'd have a bit of trouble with charisma, especially since he'd be one of a few non-unicorn members.[/colour]

[colour=#282828]I could definitely see him as either a traveling member helping those in need or a teacher for the guild.

[/colour]

I think the concept of the Guild Master being a non-unicorn is actually quite an interesting one. I don't suppose that you can get much more neutral than that, after all, and, considering the way the guild might be perceived from an OOC perspective, it would be a handy, automatic indication that it's open to any and all ponies. (Also, extra earth pony strength would make it easier to break up squabbly magicfights via hoof to face.)

Simultaneously, though, I like the idea of an alchemy branch, which Abbot could be most fit to command. I think that was touched on a little before? Forgive me if I'm repeating a lot of things! In any case, I'm interested in seeing this pony in action. I really enjoy his concept.

If we are talking branches then razor gears would be great for advisor if there is a medical branch. However he isn't exactly the leader type. He is passionate and is constantly trying to widen his knowledge, be it through reading our experimentation.

Trekker is just a traveler. She has zero interest in leading because it would mean she would become stagnant. She also wouldn't want to advise for the same reason.

As for how they both got involved, trekker would have likely meet a member in her travels and elected to help (or saw posters in Canterlot)

Razor gears might be approached after a medical conference where he was presenting findings.

As for ways to spread it. I was thinking something more covert than regular fliers. Say a flyer with a code that could be decoded by a student of the magic arts? That way unicorns and non unicorns alike can know it's presence without the general population getting privy. It could lead to a meeting place with a monthly (or what ever span of time) meeting. This is aside from direct recruiting of course.

I like it. Would look cool as a badge..I could see my guy wearing one attached to his cloak and hood..Ooh...magey....

Yep, the design can be used for anything! I pretty much tried to design it with use as a badge, sticker, emblem, whatever. Glad you like it! Just to be sure, its not made of wood of anything. If anything probably bronze with the moon and stars painted on.

I also whole-hardheartedly endorse the design for Spell Bound's insignia. :)

Yeah. It's perfect. The guild's name still bothers me. It sounds more like a pony than a proper Canterlot guild. But until my brain comes up with a better name, I'll be happy with that! #$(#$ Brain! Be more smarter! PUNCH!

(ouch).