Establishing a 'Magical Guild' in Canterlot!

PIJIN

Spell Bound has launched!

Check out the RP going on right now! Just because the adventure has stated doesn't mean your to late! Just drop your OC's name here and once they're added to the list of guild members in the Future Updates section of this post at the bottom, you can hop right in!

Hello RP Area!

(Its my first time here so I'll get straight to the point. I suck at RPing... Wait, that's not the point. The point is I've decided to establish a magical guild in the city of Canterlot! Note: I'm pretty sure I'm doing it wrong correct me if I am. -3-) Get ready for story time!)

For most unicorns magic is merely a tool. A mundane part of everyday life. For some, however, magic is an art, and they've devoted their lives to it's practice. One such unicorn wishes to establish a magical guild in Canterlot, to apply his skills in search of fame and fortune. But of course, what's a guild with only one unicorn? That's where you come in!

So, how's it work?

(Thanks to Phil for answering my very noobish questions!) What we'll/you'll have to do is create a character or use an already existing one (although preference would be a new character solely dedicated to the guild) and actually form the group in an RP thread. After this initial thread, the group can be considered formed for continuity's sake and you can reference it elsewhere if you so please. Which means more adventures!

So what's a Magical Guild you ask?

An association of unicorns who practice magic, and learn from each other. Within the guild there is a central help-wanted board which has various help request of varying degrees of difficulty from pony's across Equestria in exchange for Bits. (Such as helping finding random objects or even helping with larger tasks like a wild manticore terrorizing a town for example.) With larger task, members of the guild will sometimes form teams to better deal with the situation, depending on their strength and overall characteristics.

Who can join?

While only unicorns can use magic, I don't want to exclude anypony from joining. I know they're are Earth and Pegasi ponies out there that really like magic and would be a great addition to the guild despite not being able to perform magic or help out magically speaking. This is Mane RP only, please no Crossover characters or otherwise. It may be important for your character to be able to be away from their day job for long amounts of time. So if you work for somepony else/are a teacher/etc. then you should find a way to work that out.

After the initial RP?

As stated before, once the guild is established, for continuity's sake it can be referenced in other RP's and what not. Which means your character that's within the guild can do whatever they please relating to the guild. You can even recruit members to join the guild. Recruiting is easy, all you need is the consent of one guild member.

Future Updates/Guild Details (Update 7)

(All this info will be RP'd, I'm just putting it here for convenience sake)

Spell Bound has launched! But you can still sign up here and join in on the fun!

Guild Name: Spell Bound

Guild Master:

Guild Adviser:

Guild Members: Ingrid Marie, Gear Shift, Pocket Change, Razor Gearshttp, Silver "Trekker" Spark, Abbot Alembic, Licorice Black, Percival, Clockwise, Moondancer, Nivial, Gray Lexis, Spirit Flame, Midnight Blackhorn, Miss Understudy, Midnight Star

Guild Location: Canterlot

Guild Insignia:

th_SBBadgeVector-1.png?t=1353546769

So I think this is the part where I open up for discussion on how the RP should go. LM Pro-tip for those who don't already know. I've never started an RP nor have I RP'd for long so bear with me. I'd love your ideas on how it should go as well as see who you'd be RPing as.

Edited by LoopEnd

Ingrid Marie can definitely join, being the magic counselor for Princess Celestia's School and all. Incidentally, I hope that at least a couple characters made for this guild are either students or faculty at Celestia's School. :P

EY, count me in. Just give me a few days to whip up a new character who's dedicated to the guild. :smirk:

Awesome! :D

Ingrid Marie can definitely join, being the magic counselor for Princess Celestia's School and all. Incidentally, I hope that at least a couple characters made for this guild are either students or faculty at Celestia's School. :razz:

Well, also incidentally, they don't have to be. You can study magic on your own of course. Of course, your character would need to be able to freely travel to places without constraint and for long periods of time. (If you actually plan to take on jobs) So students who have to attend school or faculty may not be good for the guild. Who knows, it could work out...

Well, also incidentally, they don't have to be.

Of course, which is why I said only "at least a couple characters". :D

Anyhow, my personal advice is that characters need not worry too much about concerns such as "freedom of travel" and such. I once did so myself, and I think all that really did was limit my characters from RPs I really wanted my characters to fully take part in. Indeed, I now think it rather fun to conjure up excuses as to why such-in-such is off trotting through abandoned temples when his day-job is a Canterlot museum curator.

Back to the subject of students, I could definitely see many of the older ones turning to the guild for apprenticeship/internship/journeymanship opportunities as they prepare for the real world outside of magic school. You might have a point with teachers though, I'll give you that. That is, unless one of them is like Indiana Jones who has a nasty habit of abandoning his students to go on a job of some sort.....

Of course, which is why I said only "at least a couple characters". :D

Anyhow, my personal advice is that characters need not worry too much about concerns such as "freedom of travel" and such. I once did so myself, and I think all that really did was limit my characters from RPs I really wanted my characters to fully take part in. Indeed, I now think it rather fun to conjure up excuses as to why such-in-such is off trotting through abandoned temples when his day-job is a Canterlot museum curator.

Back to the subject of students, I could definitely see many of the older ones turning to the guild for apprenticeship/internship opportunities as they prepare for the real world outside of magic school. You might have a point with teachers though, I'll give you that. That is, unless one of them is like Indiana Jones who has a nasty habit of abandoning his students to go on a job of some sort.....

Daring Do's unicorn cousin coming up!

Heh, think I will make new character as well. Looks like lots of fun.

Remember kids! 'Mage Guild' is serious business. There is always a possibility that some baddy will try to

!

Anyhow, my personal advice is that characters need not worry too much about concerns such as "freedom of travel" and such.

I'm saying it may be somewhat important due to the fact that if you take a job, your character may be gone days at a time. If they have a day job where they actually work for somepony, this may not be possible.

He's an odd ball and very much used to doing his own thing, but I can kinda see my Gray Lexis joining a magic guild for the connections and resources it might have. And if he joins in, Spirit Flame will likely come along as well.

I sense a new lore upcoming in the future? Or is it just my imagination?

Signed:

Sir Tywin Lannister, Lord of Casterly Rock, Shield of Lannisport and Warden of The West.

That's not my initial plan, but if it does happen so be it! ;)

He's an odd ball and very much used to doing his own thing, but I can kinda see my Gray Lexis joining a magic guild for the connections and resources it might have. And if he joins in, Spirit Flame will likely come along as well.

Awesome sounding OC's, Phil! :-o They'd be great for the guild.

That's not my initial plan, but if it does happen so be it! ;)

Of course, it's supposed to be casual as I guess. But, at least in my opinion, it sounds like a good material to work on in order to create an organization. Plenty of possibilities.

Signed:

Sir Tywin Lannister, Lord of Casterly Rock, Shield of Lannisport and Warden of The West.

Of course, it's supposed to be casual as I guess. But, at least in my opinion, it sounds like a good material to work on in order to create an organization. Plenty of possibilities.

Signed:

[colour=#222222]Heh. It would make good lore, but the RP is not accepting new lore submissions at the moment, as is explained here. :blush:

Which is exactly why I advised LM to create this group organically, actually RPing its formation. :)[/colour]

• Like 1

I just finished an app specifically for this guild and sent it to LM for a look over, since it is LM's guild and idea.

However, I might also try to get my current character Razor Gears into it as well... He isn't an adventurer per say, but due to his main job, he can travel for extended amounts of time, especially if he is going to help out ponies somewhere medically. And certainly his affinity for the use of magic in medicine would fit the guild.

1. What exactly are the duties of the Guild Master and Guild Advisor? Will they go out of town on jobs themselves, or do they stay behind in Canterlot?

2. For insignias, stars of some sort are always a good bet since they're often associated with magic users.

Wait, an adventure guild? Fffff, I think I didn't make a mare appropriate for this. But still, here she is:

Lol! :lol: Her adventuring? That would be funny!

Oh my, this sounds perfect for GearShift.

gallery_3684_453_515187.jpg

I don't do much with her so this would be an excellent opportunity to use her.

Well if that's who you're going with I'll add her to the list of Members.

1. What exactly are the duties of the Guild Master and Guild Advisor? Will they go out of town on jobs themselves, or do they stay behind in Canterlot?

2. For insignias, stars of some sort are always a good bet since they're often associated with magic users.

1. The guild master has the ultimate say within the guild. The guild master is invested with the guild's authority, they alone have the power to define guild titles and privileges, assign those titles and privileges to guild members, add and remove guild members and assign a new guild leader. Guild leaders also have the opportunity to levy guild dues if they so choose. They also organize guild meetings, entire guild excursions, handle paperwork, etc. The guildmaster doesn't have to take jobs if they choose not to.

The guild advisor is the Guild Master's right hand man. The Advisor is a very active guild members who work towards guild recruitment and planning guild activities. This is a dedicated pony who has volunteered their assistance with managing guild activities and relations. As such, diplomacy skills must be adequate enough to foster the needs of a healthy community.

2. No doubt, I'll have to implement stars into the design somehow.

I had an Idea for an OC that would work well in this. After I get it approved you can definitely count me in! :)

Sounds good!

Edited by LovinMoonlight

Ah, okay. :smirk:

I'm having the same dilemma, I'm just going to ask Phil what I can do. If I need to change it it wouldn't be major changes. Either that or I'll keep it on ice until the guild has been built.

One other thought: as a reference to the livery companies of the City of London, I propose that the guild be called "The Worshipful Company of Conjurers". ;)

>.> I wouldn't want to shout that before I went into battle...

I'm just having my OC be super-focused on magic. It gives him an excuse to be interested in the guild. :)

You can always have an OC who isn't interested in the magicks, but because of how interesting the guild sounds, decides to develop his skills. Just LM's two bits...

Edited by LovinMoonlight

>.> I wouldn't want to shout that before I went into battle...

Aether Borns.

It's got like 3 meanings, all of them are pretty awesome.

1 meaning is that the members of our guild were born in the air of the gods.

1 meaning is that we are the children god of light.

1 .... This one is alchemical, but I can't remember what aether is in alchemy.

Which is why it's going to happen. Besides, you will need a benefactor with money, guilds don't just pay for themselves...

Very true, although, I never said I turned her down. :)

Aether Borns.

It's got like 3 meanings, all of them are pretty awesome.

1 meaning is that the members of our guild were born in the air of the gods.

1 meaning is that we are the children god of light.

1 .... This one is alchemical, but I can't remember what aether is in alchemy.

I'll look into all of these, but the last one I know for certain is apparently an alchemic element. The material that fills the region of the universe above the terrestrial sphere.

I don't want to get into alchemy and the like, I'm not sure how well that would go over with Mane RP. I'll have to ask.

Or I could just be lazy and wait for an RP Helper to jump in and correct me, I'm looking at you phil...