Disney Buys Star Wars

Tenkan

This is probably good news for the franchise. Lucas had no intentions to make another film in the series, and even if he had, with the quality of the prequel trilogy being subject to debate, it's probably good to have someone else leading the series while he remains just a consultant.

As for brand integrity, Disney hasn't ruined Marvel forever; no, in fact the brand is more prominent now than it has been and retains all of its integrity. I actually think Star Wars is in safe hands there. It's kinda really a pretty good, natural fit in my view.

So yeah, I can't really see this as anything but good news for the brand and its future. :)

• Like 3

Hmmmmm. I dunno... This could be VERY bad, or VERY good.

Old Republic movie would've never been made under Lucas. Now, the money making potential of that entire series can come to light with disney...

But I think we know what Disney can do.....

I'm.................. not sure what to think at the moment. I have no qualms with Disney myself; they've partnered up with Lucasfilm over the years for various Star Wars and Indy theme park projects. Obviously, Star Wars won't really survive as a massive franchise without constant movies and TV shows, so I don't fault any party for a move clearly made for Disney to gobble up even more money. However, I'm still iffy over the thought that a massive amount of brands and franchises can all be owned by just a tiny number of gigantic corporations. I may not be thinking rationally, but that's just what I feel right now...... we'll see................

Oh wow, I never expected George to sell Lucasfilm's :!: A lot of fans surely are going crazy over the news

The franchise will be just fine I'm sure. I'm quite excited to see where Disney shall take the series since we've pretty much been in Clone Wars for a while. As much as I enjoy the animated series, I'd like to see Star Wars go BEYOND Return of the Jedi.

I can't wait 'till 2015! pinkiepieclapplz.gif?1

• Like 1

This is probably good news for the franchise. Lucas had no intentions to make another film in the series, and even if he had, with the quality of the prequel trilogy being subject to debate, it's probably good to have someone else leading the series while he remains just a consultant.

As for brand integrity, Disney hasn't ruined Marvel forever; no, in fact the brand is more prominent now than it has been and retains all of its integrity. I actually think Star Wars is in safe hands there. It's kinda really a pretty good, natural fit in my view.

So yeah, I can't really see this as anything but good news for the brand and its future. :)

Hmmm that words of wisdom rekindled my hope somewhat. I guess just like always the future will hold an answer.

Old Republic movie would've never been made under Lucas. Now, the money making potential of that entire series can come to light with disney...

Do we really need and Old Republic movie? Establishing everything froms scrach again? What fans wanted for years was a film version of Thrawn trilogy which is material for not three but six films I belive. Trouble is, orginal cast is old...I don't think even CGI can fix this. Mark Hamill would be fine with voice acting his computer generated younger avatar - he has lot's experience in that regard - but what about the rest?

"The last Star Wars movie release was 2005's Revenge of the Sith – and we believe there's substantial pent up demand. In 2015, we're planning to release Star Wars Episode 7 – the first feature film under the "Disney-Lucasfilm" brand. That will be followed by Episodes 8 and 9 – and our long term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years" - Robert Iger, CEO of Dinsey

http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-news/press-releases/2012/10/disney-acquire-lucasfilm-ltd

At first I was unsure about this whole thing because I believe star wars to be a finely crafted piece of continuity. I only hope that these new films we keep with the continuity after return of the jedi.

It would be nice seeing the new republic doing battle with imperial remnants or something.

At first I was unsure about this whole thing because I believe star wars to be a finely crafted piece of continuity. I only hope that these new films we keep with the continuity after return of the jedi.

It would be nice seeing the new republic doing battle with imperial remnants or something.

Sounds like you're an Expanded Universe fan..... for those who ain't dedicated SW fans, the EU is all of SW's spin-off novels, comics, games, and misc. non-movie material.

Personally, I wouldn't be too saddened if much of the post-ROTJ EU ends up discarded; maybe they'd keep a few elements here and there, but on the whole I wish the next generation of SW filmmakers to not let themselves become too burdened by the spin-off material.

And any ways, the original trilogy had a "direct to video Disney movie" feel

Are you really comparing the first Star Wars trilogy to the likes of all those *shudder* Disney sequels? :o

• Like 1