I need your help, Canterlot

MidnightBlackhorn

Hey everypony

So listen, I need a good song with lyrics that depict strength and heroism for my mythology class, and i'm stuck. If you guys have any suggestions, please post a link here with song title and artist

HOWEVER

• Lyrics must be "school appropriate", meaning no swear words or depycted/implied sexual content or violence
  • I'm sure this goes without saying, but no screamo/death metal. The words being sung must be audible/understandable.

Thanks guys

-Eric

Ah, this is a fun exercise.

Please, could you narrow it down even further? I've got lots of songs in mind, but I can't say definitively if any of them work for you.

How about "

" from the Hercules movie?

Or "

" by Masterplan (high energy, but not screaming)

I really like "

" by John Legend, which inspires others to heroism, but also references the need for himself to stand up.

"Burn out Bright" by Switchfoot?

If you would even say which of these was closest, that would help.

I'd recommend something from the movies, maybe the

or
from Gladiator. Those who have watched the movies will instantly understand and it should invoke the desired outcome in those who haven't.

by Paul Stanley technically qualifies as metal, but the lyrics are quite audible

or for yucks you can try the song

Volbeat's

. On the heavier side of metal, but the lyrics are still understandable, and tells the story of Mikkel Kessler, a Danish boxer. Lyric sample:

"Breaking your record and breaking your bones/Born a warrior with a code/A champion feeding your face with a fist/you will feel all his power."

Keeping with the metal theme, Disturbed's Indestructible, an ode to the warriors of the past and present.

Lyric sample: "Another mission, the powers have called me away/Another time to carry the colours again/My motivation, an oath I’ve sworn to defend/To win the honor of coming back home again."

For the hard rock category, also keeping with the warrior theme, Pillar's

, about a group fighting for something.

Lyric sample: "We fight to live, we live to fight/And tonight, you'll hear my battle cry/We live our lives on the frontlines/We're not afraid of the fast times."

There's also, from the TV show Firefly (being that it's a TV show I dunno if this'll count) is

, about a Robin Hood-like act by a man named Jayne.

Lyric sample: "He robbed from the rich and he gave to the poor/He stood up to the man and gave them what for/Our love for him now may be hard to explain/The Hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne."

Because I'm Canadian, I have to mention these guys. Great Big Sea and not one, but two songs. The first in General Tayor, about a Canadian general's funeral.

Lyrics: "We'll lower him down on a golden chain,/Walk'em along John carry him along./On every inch we'll carve his name,/Carry him to his burying ground."

And finally, their song Recruiting Sergeant, about a group of Newfoundland soldiers in WWI.

Lyrics: "And it's over the mountains, and over the sea/Come brave Newfoundlanders, and join the Blue Puttees/You'll fight the Hun at Flanders, and at Gallipoli/Enlist ye Newfoundlanders, and come follow me."

Good luck on the assignment, man.