Pyper Uscroll [ready]

Makuzui4220

Roleplay Type: World of Equestria

Name: Pyper Uscroll

Species: Pegasus

Eye colour: Mysterious, royal purple eyes examine all that she sees thoughtfully.

Coat: A subtle lavender. Off-white socks adorn her hooves.

Mane/Tail: A darker purple that matches her eyes, with streaks of skyblue accenting it.

Physique: Very tall, with a lean runner's build.

Residence: Equestria. Pyper is a nomad, and calls all the world her home.

Cutie Mark: A lyre.

The Story: Pyper was born in Manehatten to a somewhat wealthy family. Her sire and dam were very strict about social etiquette, something Pyper did not do very well with, to the point she went to live with her Grandsire in Stalliongrad. He encouraged her to find her own way to do things, which allowed her to have more freedom with her stories. She has had a dear love of storytelling and singing since she was foal, and pursued things in both in search of her cutie mark, but it never appeared on her flank. Throughout her foal years she would write stories and poetry that had such vivid imagery or emotion it would send chills down her friends' spines. Some of her poems she turned into songs and she sang them to her Grandsire, the only pony she would sing in front of when she was a foal, for she lacked the courage to sing in front of others then. When she was late in her foal years her Grandsire talked her into singing an epic she had been working on for a long time at the family reunion. Pyper's voice floated through the halls of her parent's home, as haunting as a winter breeze whistling through the trees, and when she finished the room hung in a delicate silence before everypony burst out into applause. Her favorite memory is her Grandsire hugging her afterwards, saying what a treat it was to watch her cutie mark form while she gave her first ever performance.

History: Shortly after gaining her cutie mark, and many performances later, Pyper began traveling across Equestria seeking to entertain anypony who'll listen. She loves social gatherings, from the Gala to apple kicking out with hind-legs season, and keeps one ear raised to the wind in search of new events and experiences that will help her with ideas for stories. The only family she has kept in touch with is her Grandsire, who lives in Stalliongrad. When she was a young mare she fell in love with a unicorn when she was visiting Fillydelphia, and soon after had her son, Silt Treble. When he was a foal he traveled with her around Northern Equestria, but ended up staying for seasons at a time with her Grandsire in Stalliongrad after a close encounter with wolves. Occasionally, she returns and takes Silt with her on her travels.

Character Summary: Pyper travels alone mostly, but she meets many ponies on her travels that she can call friend. Even so, she worries that her choice to be a bard will cause friends to grow distant, but the friends she makes know she will be loyal despite the distance and that time apart does nothing to damper the friendship. Her independence has taught her basic herbal medicine and how to travel by the stars, as well as how to scavenge in the wilds. Pyper is very kind, especially to foals, and loves to entertain. While entertaining, she is very outspoken and charismatic and loves to listen to anypony's stories as they give her ideas for her own. However, outside any social gathering she becomes quiet and tends to ponder her own thoughts and surroundings. Even though she frequents big events such as the Gala, she hates being restricted by social etiquette and acts how she pleases. Pyper loves combining her favorite things, storytelling and singing, and thus specializes in opera and wishes to display her skill to anypony who asks. Even though she sings for free, and never asks for payment, she loves it when ponies give her gifts.

Likes: Music, fruit, especially mangoes and peaches; and traveling.

Dislikes: Spicy food, violence, social etiquette.

A couple of things I noticed.

First off, I see you haven't written what type of app this is going to be. The way you have it now is brilliant and well-made but I'm afraid some things might keep this from being a ManeRP character. For instance, how under likes it has tobacco. As far as I have seen, this may not be allowed in ManeRP, being something a bit too.........adult themed(?). Essentialy I'm thinking that would need to get changed. Also, I'm not sure about where it says that she had a fling with a unicorn. I'm thinking that is, again, a bit above the ManeRP rating. Like the show, ManeRP keeps it rated E, and that might not be the case with tobbaco and flings and such. As I said, like the character, but perhaps more Crossover oriented.

Good Luck with this app :D

~Eric

Thanks for the insight! I see where you would be coming from, but the fling thing is a part of her history. It's not like this is going to come up in any RP in detail. As for the tobacco, it's perfectly E rated for her to like eating it, isn't it?

Hey, thanks for pointing it out though. I guess something I consider E might not be taken the same way by others, and it's nice to be reminded of that. I did rethink those things after your post. And yeah, eating it! She's a singer, smoking it would ruin her voice.

I quite like the name Piper, though you've spelled it a little differently.

Refusing to become a weather-handler like most of her family, she ran away and has been wandering Equestria ever since

I'm not sure on this bit. In show, we've seen ponies be very kind an accepting. If singing was her special talent, why would her parents what to hinder her from that? Wouldn't parents be more likely to be supportive, especially to reassure their daughter it was okay if she didn't take on the family business? Even when the main six make mistakes, they are quick to comfort and try to help each other. Even when Luna became Nightmare Moon, quite an extreme mistake, Celestia found it in her heart to forgive Luna for her misdeeds. If even the princesses can look past the greatest sins, would not a parent just want what was best for their child? It's also good to keep in mind that Equestria is NOT like Earth. It's much more peaceful and fun loving, not dark and gloomy as our world can be.

but ended up staying for seasons at a time with her Grandsire in Stalliongrad after an attack on the pair by plainscats

Plainscats don't seem to be on the Species List. I assume the RP Helpers will want you to take out references to a species we haven't seen in show. But out of curiosity, what are plainscats?

Pyper is very much a loner, and has few ponies she calls friend.

If she isn't good at making friends, how will you Roleplay the character? The Roleplay world is pretty much built upon talking and making friends with other ponies. It's fine for a character to be shy or cautious-I mean, even Fluttershy herself it. But she still has friends. She has a quirk that allows her to overcome her shyness; that is, her love of animals. She couldn't talk to Twilight Sparkle, but she became a chatter box when she saw Spike. Through Spike, she was able to gain Twilight as a friend, and thus, gain some confidence. Just keep in mind that in the Roleplay world, you'll be doing a lot of interacting with other ponies. It may be hard to RP with others if your character doesn't even like to make friends. :)

Even though she sings for free, and never asks for payment, she loves it when ponies give her gifts.

While this seems like a nice trait, how does Pyper feed herself without making money?

Even then, she doesn't use any physical attacks, but rather a "roar". This roar is actually just a very loud, very high pitched note that stuns/disorients most creatures so that she may run away.

Ooo, this sounds like quite an interesting skill. Wouldn't it be neat if this was actually her special talent? I mean, Rarity's special talent is actually gem finding. However, she very much enjoys dress making as well, and has worked hard to learn the skills for that, as a hobby. But dress making isn't actually her special talent. This "roar" sounds like something that could be unique to your pony, and thus work well as her unique talent. :)

And hey! I see from your avatar you know how to use the pony creator. Why not add an image to the bottom of your application? :)

I did rethink those things after your post. And yeah, eating it! She's a singer, smoking it would ruin her voice.

Don't you mean chewing tobacco? :shock: I don't know that it's safe for consumption... :unsure:

Well, I see this application is still marked as [WIP], so you may already be planning to address some of the things I mentioned. Well, good luck!

Hm, these are some things to think about. I'll see about doing a small rewrite to her app. The y in Pyper is a small leftover from the words I used to make her name, i thought it would add a unique touch.

Plainscats are feral cats, i was hoping to avoid being specific about what kind. I didn't see them in the species list, but I don't remember seeing bears or foxes or other things that I've seen Fluttershy interact with. Is there a list wildlife in Equestria on the site that I missed?

Pyper scavenges. While wild apples may not be the tastiest, they're food, among other wild plants. I realize it seems difficult, but it's doable, and she chooses to live that way. But perhaps I can change a few things with that....

Thank you for your notes though. :)

Hm, these are some things to think about. I'll see about doing a small rewrite to her app. The y in Pyper is a small leftover from the words I used to make her name, i thought it would add a unique touch.

Just make sure to leave a comment when you've updated. :)

Plainscats are feral cats, i was hoping to avoid being specific about what kind. I didn't see them in the species list, but I don't remember seeing bears or foxes or other things that I've seen Fluttershy interact with. Is there a list wildlife in Equestria on the site that I missed?

Well, on the species list, there's also a link to the MLP Wiki that has all the creatures seen in Equestria. If the plainscats are just normal cats, except wild, that would probably be okay.

Pyper scavenges. While wild apples may not be the tastiest, they're food, among other wild plants. I realize it seems difficult, but it's doable, and she chooses to live that way. But perhaps I can change a few things with that....

I think if you just put this bit into her app, that is just fine. :) If you don't explain things, how are people going to know?

Hi there! If you have any questions about what is allowed or not, please ask a Canterlot RP staff. You can tell us apart from a normal user by our title and award tag. We can't guarantee the validity of information given by other users about what is acceptable or not, nor should you feel required to do anything to an application that a non-staff (Tales) suggests to you. If you'd like, I can have an official helper give you feedback as well to ensure you are getting consistent information.

Thanks! :)

• Like 1

Dearest member,

Please post here if you have any questions and I personally will respond to you here with the most current and up to date information and answers you seek.

Thank you,

Alison

(PS: I will post a review of this app should you request one as the app is a WIP and not actually ready for review.)

i have a question about cutie marks.... i'm thinking about changing pyper's to go along more with her unique ability rather than what she loves to do (this is Rarity inspired) and i'm wondering what the limit for images is on the marks. i understand no profanity or vulgarity, but as long as i change the story of her mark accordingly i shouldn't have a problem doing this, right?

Hi, don't mind if I drop in!

Well, I learned the hard way that the staff won't accept anything copyrighted or mildly-stylized versions of anything copyrighted as a Cutie Mark. I wanted my OC to have a Maple Leaf for a Cutie Mark, but that was forbidden, so I actually ended up going with a maple tree in its entirety.

As for picking a Cutie Mark as a whole, I like to think that it has two factors - something corporeal (existent and viewable) and ethereal (spiritual, magical). For example, Diamond Tiara's, well, diamond tiara both represents her tiara (representing her materialistic and capitalizing views on life), and the Crown as a symbol, meaning her incredible power of leadership. Silver Spoon and the Foal Free Press both thrived under her! Going back to the example of my OC, her super-special talent isn't drawing maple trees or climbing them or anything of the sort - her talent is actually making maple syrup - so having it as a Cutie Mark is just a wide overview of her interests. I managed to extrapolate more facts out of it, such as how a maple tree takes a long time to mature (she's very immature), how the foliages changes (her favourite season is autumn), and much more.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that your Cutie Mark isn't necessarily an apple if you work in the apple business, it's whatever describes you as a pony, not you in how others view you and your actions.

Cheers!

~ping111

Just for clarification of Ping's reply, a maple leaf was not forbidden; a maple leaf straight off the Canadian flag was.

To keep things simple (and in perspective), design your character as if they would appear right out of an episode of Friendship is Magic. The idea is to preserve the illusion of the roleplay by keeping cutie marks specific to the World of Equestria, not to restrict your personal beliefs or to spit on your character design. If you follow close to the canon of the show and don't try to introduce things that shout "this is from real life!" you probably won't have a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey you there!

The app is looking Mighty Fine! (that's a joke, cuz the clothing company that sells MLP:FiM shirts is called Mighty Fine T_T)

But no, in all realism the app looks fantastic!

There is only a few issues I see,

Firstly there is a rule against referencing cast ponies in your app (including the princesses).

Second, what sort of app is complete without a Cutie Mark Story? None, please take the time to make a Cutie Mark story about the events leading up to and earning her Cutie Mark (Note: This IS different then a History section.)

Third, I feel like the app itself is still lacking a hint of detail. I also think the part about not having many friends could be tweaked also considering there are plenty of ponies in the world that would want to be her friend ^^ and maybe tell a better job about her Bard days.

Other then that most of the app looks ship shape!

Heehee! MF. :D

I did make a cutie mark story, it's in the history section. Should I, perhaps, separate it a little more from the bulk of it? And I can take out the references to the Princesses, that's no problem. Check out the tweekage!

Its looking a lot better now, however as I stated above, the Cutie Mark Story section and the History section are two different areas of the app. Separating them would be wonderful ^^

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! Sorry about the delay on this. I'm going to give you some feedback for this character, and hopefully she will be approve-able soon. I'll highlight any problem areas in [colour=#ff0000]Robi Red[/colour] so they are easy to see and fix.

The Story: Pyper was born in Canterlot to a somewhat wealthy family. Her sire and dam were very strict about social etiquite; something Pyper did not do very well with. She has a dear love of storytelling and singing since she was foal, and pursued things in both in search of her cutie mark, but it never appeared on her flank. When she was a filly she went to the Gala with her friends and, [colour=#ff0000]wanting to impress the Princesses[/colour], sang an opera on the history of Equestria. She returned home that night, proud of her success even as a blank flank, but was met with hostility by her parents.

We don't allow mention of other cast members, even if it is vague with reference to the Princesses. Please remove this and try for something else, like "sang an opera to impress everypony present" instead.

Refusing to become a weather-handler like most of her family, she ran away west across Equestria and eventually into the Everfree Forest. It was after the world got dark, and her wings to tired to fly, that she met the bear. Not being a keen fighter, Pyper ran. But she was tired from flying all day, and the bear caught up to her.[colour=#ff0000] Cornered, she acted on instinct; filling her lungs to bursting with air and then releasing a high pitched shockwave that stung her ears, but knocked the bear out[/colour]. Pyper found a safe place to sleep that night, far from any bears, and the moonlight helped her see the cutie mark that had finally shown itself: the silhouette of a roaring manticore head. She has been wandering Equestria ever since,[colour=#ff0000] confident her ability can protect her even with its drawback.[/colour]

This ability of Pyper's seems pretty dangerous and overpowered. Please remove it, and try for something else -- I've seen the "scare off a bear and get cutie mark" story more times than I think you'd be interested to hear. Why would she have a roaring manticore head? Try to think of a cutie mark story that makes more sense for this -- perhaps she might find a wounded manticore, and her voice would calm it enough so she could help heal it? This is just a suggestion, and you may come up with whatever you like, but as it stands, this story about her cutie mark needs more clarification, and her ability to scream and harm/knock out others is not permissible in our roleplay.

History: Since gaining her cutie mark, Pyper has traveled across Equestria seeking to entertain anypony who'll listen. She loves social gatherings, from the Gala to apple kicking out with hind-legs season, and keeps one ear raised to the wind in search of new events. The only family she has kept in touch with is her grandsire, who lives in Stalliongrad. When she was a young mare [colour=#ff0000]she had a fling with a unicorn when she was visiting Fillydelphia, and became pregnant with her son, Silt Treble.[/colour] When he was a foal he traveled with her around Northern Equestria, but ended up staying for seasons at a time with her Grandsire in Stalliongrad after an attack on the pair by wolves. Occasionally, she returns and takes Silt with her on her travels.

If you'd like to mention she has a son, that's fine, but remember this site is all-ages, and having "flings" does not support that paradigm. It doesn't need mention or exploration, really, as we are aware of how foals are made.

Character Summary: Pyper travels alone, but she meets many ponies on her travels that she can call friend. Even so, she worries that her choice to be a bard will cause friends to grow distant, but the friends she makes know she will be loyal despite the distance and that time apart does nothing to damper the friendship. Her independence has taught her basic herbal medicine and how to travel by the stars, as well as how to scavenge in the wilds. Pyper is very kind, especially to foals, and loves to entertain. While entertaining, she is very outspoken and chrismatic, and loves to listen to anypony's stories as they give her ideas for her own. However, outside any social situation she becomes quiet and tends to ponder her own thoughts and surroundings. Even though she frequents big events such as the Gala, she hates being restricted by social etiquette and acts how she pleases. Pyper is a bard, so naturally she is very skilled at storytelling and singing. She specializes in opera, and wishes to display her skill to anypony who asks. Even though she sings for free, and never asks for payment, she loves it when ponies give her gifts. Pyper hates fighting and will flee rather than stand her ground, unless she is protecting Silt or another foal. Even then, she doesn't use any physical attacks, [colour=#ff0000]but rather a "roar". This roar is actually just a very loud, very high pitched note that stuns/disorients most creatures so that she may run away. However, because of the strain the roar has on her vocal cords, she usually cannot speak for a full day afterwards without harming her voice. Seeing as her greatest fear is loosing her voice, she only uses this roar as a last resort.[/colour]

Likes: Music, [colour=#ff0000]chewing tobacco[/colour], fruit, especially mangoes and peaches; and traveling.

Dislikes: Spicy food, violence, social etiquette.

More of that "roar" ability needs to be removed. We're not sure if chewing tobacco exists in Equestria, so please remove that. Maybe she likes bubble gum instead?

That's about it! I know this might seem a bit brutal, so I will leave you with assurance this is positive feedback on how to make your character a better design for World of Equestria that is acceptable for our roleplay. You are also free to make this application RP type Crossovers, where you will not have to remove anything except the portion about the flings.

Once you have made changes, please reply to this thread. If you have any questions or need clarification on anything, feel free to ask! :)

• 2 weeks later...

alright. i'm wondering though, i understand that anything that hurts anypony is against the rules, but stunning too?

Anything that affects another player's character (especially without their permission) is not allowed. World of Equestria is a roleplay that exists to encourage character interactions and fun we would see from an episode of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Please consider the type of roleplay you are wishing to participate in when designing your character. Remember Crossovers and Free for All are both provided as places for other types of roleplay that are outside the scope of WoE, and they do not require an application for play.

alright. i'm wondering though, i understand that anything that hurts anypony is against the rules, but stunning too?

As for part of your character's history; I'm guessing nothing too serious, and is meant for a quick gag. (Like joy-buzzers.)

If you're talking about live Roleplay, I'm guessing with players consent first. I personally wouldn't mind if another player stuns me in any way, I'd roll with it... but some other players would. So i'd ask them first, just to be safe.

i was thinking of the stunning not as something that would be used against another pony, but against wild things (like wolves, ursa major/minors) that she might come across while travelling. i realize that if directed against another pony it could be harmful, but given Pyper's personality I think she'd be very careful to not hurt anypony.