The Coltaran Chronicles: The Eye of the Gods (Open, Apply in OOC)

Valencetiger

~3500 years ago, the Sandspire Desert~

The solemn stallion trudged through the grayish dunes, the skies still ashen with the latest cataclysm to disrupt the world. Dust...it was everywhere these days. The dust of the previously known world, scattered and torn by the actions of mortals and gods alike. Not that it hadn't committed it's own atrocities...hardly that. Every grain of Coltaran earth had been subjected to the blood of equines and other creatures. Nothing was innocent in this god-forsaken continent...nothing at all. This desert...it had once been a bountiful forest, filled with life. Now, none of that remained.

...but then again, I caused it all, didn't I? A voice spoke softly inside his head, but he ignored it, intent on only going forward through the choking sand. Indeed, it was his fault...all of it. It had been his arrogance, his inability to let go...that had broken Coltara. He was known by many names; Prince of the Dawn, Destroyer of Shadows, King of the Light...but the name every creature on the continent knew him by was Silvan Starrunner, the Lightbinder. It had been his mastery of the legendary Ascending Lights that allowed him to defeat and reconfine the Specter of Evil...the dreaded Darkwing, former demi-god and child of Astral Magus, father of ponykind. Memories stirred in his head...what had happened that day? It had been years since then. He knew he did something...horrible...a terrible accident, but could not recall it. A madness had eaten away at his mind, that was obvious, but where did it come from? He paused to contemplate on his mental state...he could almost feel it...-

"...look at you, Silvan. Look at what you have become. I could almost pity you...almost." The voice dragged Silvan out of his thoughts, as he lifted his head to see who had spoken. Just a few meters away stood an incredibly dark figure, whose black attire conflicted with the desert landscape. Although there was a whirlwind blowing through the area, picking up dust and sand, the equine-shaped entity's clothing seemed unaffected, simply hanging there. Red eyes met his, and Silvan blinked calmly. "Oh...hello there. Hang on a moment...Evening...we have a guest! Evening?" He looked around, calling for his wife and thinking himself in the palace he had once lived in...a palace now destroyed. "I don't know where she's gone off to... Evening! Where are you?" The figure made a sound of disgust, listening to the insane unicorn before him. "...has the madness taken you so far, Silvan Starrunner? Can you truly not remember what happened? What you did?!" The figure removed his hood, revealing a stern, bronze-coloured face with a short black mane dangling down his neck. The fellow unicorn sneered, shaking his head. "...fine. I'll help you, Silvan...help you see what you have done to yourself." Channeling a stream of magic through his horn, the glow faded almost as quickly as it came.

Silvan blinked again, taking in his surroundings once more. A puzzled expression grew on his face. "Wh-where am I...? A desert...? Wasn't I at the-" He cut off his sentence when his eyes fell on the stallion before him, and his face quickly took an angry tint. "YOU! How dare you show me your face, Betrayer!" The pony...Coppernicus, Silvan recalled...chuckled harshly. "Ah...finally you remember. Never in my dreams had I thought my own student would be reduced to such a...disgrace. You should have joined me when you have the chance, Silvan...even I cannot hold your madness at bay for long."

"Forget it! I'd sooner die than serve you, or the Specter!"

"Then die you shall! I came not to save you, Silvan, but to watch you suffer! Watch you SQUIRM! Remember what atrocities you have committed, fool!"

As if they had been slammed into his head with a mallet, the memories finally flowed...memories of the blood-covered faces of his children, his wife...his family. The destroyed ruins of his palace home, and the remnants of the city that had surrounded it. "No..." He shook his head in denial, his eyes wide with fear and despair. "No...no...no...no no no no NO!" Out of reflex, Silvan grabbed hold of the twisted...newly tainted magic that hung before his grasp. He suddenly began to take it in, his body taking on a fierce, bright light as he drew in more and more of the magical energy. Coppernicus took a step back, snarling; "Fool! You're drawing too much in! You will destroy yourself!

I'm sorry, Evening...

It is all my fault...

I'm coming, my love...

Please...do not hate me...

As the magic started to burst out of Silvan's body, Coppernicus disappeared without a trace. The intense magic continued to pile up, reaching unearthly levels. With burning tears going down his cheeks, Silvan screamed out into the grayish skies above. "FORGIVE ME, CREATOR!" As the words escaped his lips...the world became an inferno. The land around him broiled and rumbled, rising under fountains of fire and lava, the dunes around turned to dust as the earth below grew, rising higher and higher into the sky, as if to pierce the heavens. As the cataclysmic scene winded down...what stayed in Silvan's place was a massive mountain with a jagged peak, that which would later be named Silvermount. The Lightbinder was no more.

--------

~20 years ago, 2732 I.E. (Imperial Era), Ashen Gate~

The sounds of battle resounded among the highlands outside the massive Crystal Walls of the Capital, thousands of armored ponies struggled against a mass of white-clad equines, flying Imperial Battleships contending with the massive Skyroosts of the Hikarri Clans. It seemed as if the Underworld had broken loose...for the dead laid everywhere. The smell of blood, sweat, and death permeated the battlefield, the screams of the dying filling the evening air. The steel of swords clashed against the edges of spears, talons scored wounds against coats and fur, and rain poured from the skies above, making the ground treacherous. The Empire's armed force...the Ever-Victorious Army...was losing. Actually losing. The realization of this had caused great calamity both inside and outside of Ashen Gate, for civilian and soldier alike. However, the unthinkable happened: the Hikarri army began to retreat, great horns letting out their bellows as the invaders pulled back, leaving the Dragorans in stunned silence. It wasn't until the last Skyroost began to soar away that the soldiers below saw a corpse dangling from chains beneath the flying fortress: the corpse of High General Hollowbone.

The Emperor watched the retreat in quiet contemplation, his red cloak billowing from the icy winds blowing across the Crystal Walls. His generals beside him also stared after their fallen comrade, whispering amongst themselves as they sent orders out to the armies below to advance. Tail the Hikarri...but do not engage unless coaxed. After dismissing them from his presence, Emperor Steelir was greeted by an excited messenger, who saluted and brought to him an envelope marked with the Imperial Seal. Taking it, he slipped out the contents and read it...a frown growing on his face.

"...my wife, the Empress...has given birth to a unicorn...a Prince of Ravens has been born." The first unicorn born to the Empress in four hundred years...the first Prince of Ravens in four centuries. Steelir raised his eyes to the massive tower which held the Ascending Lights...each one of them, and a smile grew on his face. "...he will be the greatest Emperor the Empire will ever know. That...I am certain of." Dismissing the messenger, he gazed out at the skyline...the sun had just risen, and dawn had arrived. The dawn of a new legacy.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

~Present Day, year 2752 I.E. (Imperial Era), inside the Imperial Moon Garden of Ashen Gate~

A gentle warmth hung on the summer wind, the leaves of the trees and bushes rustled from the caress of the breeze, the flowers swaying in unison as if to the beat of a song. Harmony existed here, more than most places these days. The Moon Garden was famously known for its beauty, and only the Imperial Family, its servants, or guests could enter. It contained flora from all over the continent of Coltara, from silver moondrops to white-laced willows. It was evening, the moon having risen high into the sky and bathing the land beneath it in a gentle glow. At the Garden's very center stood a beautiful, miniature version of the gigantic Moon Tree on the other side of the city, its bark like silver and leaves as black as the night sky, with gleaming white fruit like the stars amidst the dark. Surrounding it was a glowing pool in the shape of a crescent, and from the watery depths a special magic bloomed within it.

At the base of the tree stood a young stallion, wearing a silky red robe that wrapped around his body, with ravens embroidered elegantly into the cuffs and back. The stallion's mane and tail were a dark, dusty red, like the clay in a parched desert, braided with dazzling rubies and diamonds, and his coat a peach, almost sand-like colour. His hooves were painted in a flamboyant blood-red, and his eyes held a mixture of blue and gray, swirled together into one unique form. However, what stood out the most was the horn on his forehead, for he was a Unicorn...the most feared creature in Coltara. His name was Rubyn Dragoran...heir to the Crystal Throne of the Empire, and the Prince of Ravens. His existence was an enigma, an oddity. Everywhere in the Empire, unicorns were persecuted and used, enslaved or executed, but he...he was pampered, and practically worshiped. It did not sit right with him.

At the far end of the pool stood two Baraki Gardeners, a couple of the fiercest warriors the Empire had...fighters who, by covenant, protected the most important members of the Imperial Family...himself included. Taking a deep breath in, Rubyn lifted a body-length black-metal spear off the ground, spinning it around as he crouched into a fighting stance. The Baraki simply watched as the Prince practiced his martial fighting forms with his passed-down Aishanidari, a special weapon that the previous Prince of Ravens had held. He became one with the weapon, falling into a mental slumber as his body moved on its own, elegantly going through the practice motions. Crescent Over the Meadow. Hawk Under the Trees. Leaf Among the Whispers. Rubyn and the spear were one, a combined entity. It wasn't until his robe was drenched in sweat that he finally ceased, gently lowered himself into a crouch and placing his Aishanidari aside.

"...done, young Prince?" An aged, battle-hardened stallion spoke quietly behind Rubyn, a pegasus wearing the signature dark-green and crimson armor of the Nightinggales. The Prince regarded the warrior with a nod, before standing. "...I suppose Mother sent you to fetch me, Silvertongue? Very well...it would be unfit to keep the Empress waiting, wouldn't you agree?" The veteran nodded, turning away as he began to lead Rubyn away from the Moon Garden, the Baraki bowing in respect as they retreated away.

~Empress Tulipia Dragoran, within the Diamond Hall~

Tonight was a special night, for every being in Coltara. Tonight was the start of seven glorious days of peace and celebration. Tonight...was the first night of the Festival of Lights, the largest holiday in the land celebrated by every race within Coltara's borders (and even a few countries beyond that). The Festival was a holy event, that celebrated the creation of the Ascending Lights, and the remembrance of the passing of the Six Guardian Deities...among them the equine All-Father, Astral Magus. It was the Empress' favorite day of the year, and she would not miss it for her own foals.

Tulipia, as she was called upon her True Naming Day, sat upon a massive, crystalline throne that radiated an almost-celestial energy, seven stars were engraved around her on the back of the Crystal Throne, each representing the Ascending Lights in a halo. In the Empire, the Imperial Family were viewed as above mortals...but the Emperor and Empress themselves, second-only to the Gods themselves. She herself was a unnaturally beautiful mare, with a flowing silver, braided mane and luxurious sapphire-blue coat. Her eyes were the colour of amber, seeming to glow with internal warmth. The elegantly sewn robe she wore held a majestic array of colours, each combining into waves of rainbow-like streams flowing down her body. However, none of her own features attracted the eye as much as what she wore on her head...the Crown of Heavens, a fabled piece of platinum craftsmenship that covered the top of her head, and descended down her face to her very chin, looking like the maw of a sabertooth. The top of the war-like crown spiked up into the air like gleaming spires, each with their own assembly of bountiful jewelry. Lifting her gaze from her white-lacquered hooves, she looked at an empty throne on her left, and frowned to herself. Rubyn was late...the ceremony was about to begin to announce his Annointment to being the heir of the Empire, but he dared not show? She said nothing, looking away from the smaller throne and ahead.

The chamber she was in was known as the Diamond Hall, and it seemed that the entire Imperial Family and most of the High Blood Houses had gathered her, their voices continuing in their conversations in quiet tones. None of them would dare over-step themselves, out of fear that a member of the Hoof will drag them to the Towers of Midnight on the plains outside the city. Cowards... She thought to herself sourly. As soon as the thought escaped her mind, the massive ironwork doors at the entrance to the Hall opened, silencing the crowd as Rubyn and a member of the Nightinggales approached. The silence had grown so great that even their hoofsteps could be heard throughout the entire chamber, echoing like drums. Finally standing beneath the Crystal Throne, the two stallions bowed before her, and intoned in calm and ritualistic voices; "...we arrive, Highest of Queens, Greatest of Mortals. We watch, wait, and obey, O' Empress. May your rule last till the end of time itself, and the glory of your Empire continue to grow." Their voices faded, and she nodded, gesturing the Nightinggale soldier away and beckoning for her son to sit. The soldier bowed once more, and turned around to proceed out. Rubyn rised from his own bow and moved forward, stepping to the side and sitting on his own throne...a creation of black stone with ravens etched into it. Nodding, the Empress stood up and addressed the assembly.

"Noble and virtuous members of my Family and Blood...welcome to the Capital of Ashen Gate. We gather here to embrace the life given to us by the Ascending Lights, and to mourne the passing of our beloved Guardians. Our kind has celebrated this holiday since the days of the Three Kingdoms...and so we carry on that tradition, thousands of years later. Coltara, and indeed the Empire, are gifts that the Creator had decided to grant us...and for that we give thanks. May the Festival of Lights...begin!" As if the object had come from nowhere, she slammed the butt of a large gemstone staff on the tiled floor, a boom which brought about applause from the entire audience, and the ceilings themselves began to rise, to reveal the open night sky above and the glowing silver moon that hung in the sky.

~Chainmail, Ashen Gate's Northern Gate~

Private Chainmail was unhappy. As a Lowblood he had always enjoyed the Festival of Lights. Everypony relaxed themselves, even his mother, and he was able to actually enjoy himself. This year, however, he had to refrain from participating in the activities. Most of the veteran guards took the Festival as a welcome break, leaving the jobs of guarding the city and dealing with potential crimes to the new recruits of the EVA who only just finished their training, and would spend the next ten days waiting assignment, unless there was some sort of national emergency. This meant rather than the customary ten days of fun, he would spend all ten days guarding various parts of the city. To add insult to injury he was stationed at the northern gate. He would see none of the revelry that was taking place in the city proper.

He stood to the right side of the gate, while a fellow recruit stood at the left side. A small guardhouse built into the gate housed another six guards, or it should do in theory. At the moment only two other guards were on station. Another recruit and one of the actual town guard. Nopony wanted to miss the first day of the Festival. The guardspony, Plume, apparently had drawn the short straw and was stuck on the gate for the day. [colour=#00ff00]At least he had a chance to draw a straw[/colour], Chainmail thought to himself bitterly. As if all this wasn't bad enough, the recruit he was paired with was as by the books as possible. Every search had to be thorough, there could never be less than two ponies on the gate at a time, all documents had to be verified by the highest ranking officer on station. Needless to say Plume already harboured a hatred for him.

Most businesses were halted, so a lot of the ponies who came trotting up to the gate were out of town tourists. Easy enough to process. Chainmail let Private Straight Lace deal with most of the ponies, only chipping in when he looked like he needed help. Straight was decent enough with ponies, a bit probing, but most seemed to expect that. Of course the few Highbloods that came by went by a lot more quickly than the others. Straight Lace may be a stickler for protocol, but he didn't want to make enemies. Highbloods could hold a grudge about some of the most petty things. Lowbloods too tended to get involved in the so-called "Great Game", but Chainmail didn't give a care for it. His family, being mostly military, tended to abstain from participation, and Chainmail personally saw it as nothing but the twiddling of hooves that could afford to be idle.

Chainmail looked up at the abnormally bright moon, it always seemed to get brighter for the Festival. As if the gods themselves accepted the praise that was showered upon them.[colour=#00ff00] "O, bountiful orb of sublime beauty, may your radiance reflect everlasting glory. May it's lights guide us in our duty, your waxing and waning a memento mori,"[/colour] he whispered to himself. At times of peace like this, he liked to work on his poetry. He just wished he had a quill and parchment. Less and less tourists had filtered in until now the gates seemed to have grown quiet. Inside the walls a cheer so loud he could hear its echoes from the gate rang out. The celebrations had begun. He sighed loudly, and gripped his spear with his two forehooves.

Within the Diamond Hall~

As the applause died out and the hall was illuminated in the silver light, suddenly a clanking sound was heard in the floors below...and it was closing in. Despite the fact that was almost a year since this metallic sound echoed in the home of the Imperial Family, all of the creatures who gathered in the Silver Hall this evening, knew who was heralded by it.

The clanking was heard closer and closer, until it stopped just outside the room. A single pony in whole of the Coltara had nerve to be such late at the celebration...or how other would put it; had privilege to do so. And then the massive iron gates of Diamond Hall opened once more. Only one pony came through the entrance, temporarily drawing all attention. Huge towering amongst the crowd, clad in the onyx black plate armor and with a crimson red cape waving behind him. The pony known as the 'Black Knight' , the most famous of all Great Generals, first sword in the Coltara and Empress confidant have returned. Despite being such late he walked proudly straight forward, completely ignoring all others aside from Empress and Prince of Ravens. The Black Knight finally stopped before both and the he kneeled.

"Your Majesty, I had returned." said the pony with a deep voice, hidden behind his black helm, which distorted his words even further. Even through no one could see his eyes or expression, Empress knew Black Knight so well the she could guess just by tone of his voice that he brought a good news. Obviously his latest assignment was resolved successfully, even if they couldn't discuss it with detail right now. A warrior raised from his knees before he turned his head around and gave a gathered an amused look. He then walked over the steps an took his place standing just behind the Crystal Throne, at the Empress right side.

~Tulipia Dragoran, Empress of the Empire. Within the Diamond Hall~

The clanking of metal was heard throughout the chamber, and the Empress smiled despite herself. That sound always heralded him. The crowd fell silent as the massive doors opened once more to omit a monstrously-large, onyx-plate armored stallion. All the members of the Family and the Blood eyed him suspiciously and warily, except for the Baraki High Seat of House Xing'hai, Eisar, who simply watched him with a mask of serenity on his wolfish face. As the figure approached the throne, Rubyn narrowed his eyes and studied the strange equine, as if trying to pry open it's armor with his gaze. Upon reaching the steps of the Throne, the stallion spoke in a deep, commanding voice that was blurred by his helmet.

"Your Majesty, I have returned." The armored equine voiced. The Empress graced one of her prized generals with a gentle smile, gesturing for him to stand at her side. When the stallion complied, she raised her voice for all to here. "Members of the Imperial Family and of the High Blood...disperse, and make merry. For this event comes once a year. Spend your ten days happily, but not so much that you forget yourselves." She smiled once more, and the other creatures in the Hall began to spread out, conversing with other members of high Coltaran society, a few even exiting the chamber to return to their families. Turning to the onyx-armored equine at her side, she lowered her voice and spoke softly.

"...my dearest Black Knight. I am surprised to see you returned to me so early. Of course, not that I am complaining, for your comfort has always been appreciated after the Emperor's death. However...I take it you found what you seek? Oh, and you may speak freely...the others are busy with their schemes and gossip, and my son here will not speak a word." The young unicorn at her side said nothing, simply eyeing the two of them sideways. Servants began to pour into the hall, and one of them approached them with glasses of wine. The Empress took hers, then Rubyn, and the servant finally offered the tray to the fearsome Black Knight, the young mare's legs shaking.

~Outskirts of the Crystal Walls, Ashen Gate's North Gate~

The rackous roar of the massive city's populace shook the very earth outside the lit-up Capital, the lights making the stars almost impossible to see. Two lone figures approached the Walls slowly along the paved road, both wearing full-cover gray cloaks with their faces concealed. One of them was much larger than the other, towering in form and figure, while the other had a more feminine appearance. The closer they got to the glittering Walls in front of them, the more about them could be identified. The larger form was apparently a Griffon, carrying himself with a warrior's grace and poise. From underneath the coat was a plume of gray feathers, tipped with brown waves. Piercing blue eyes looked out from the cowl of his cloak, gazing at the Walls with a studious expression.

"...Moonais, are you certain that he is who we seek? It has been twenty years since the Seer's death, and no matter where we look, each stallion we find is the wrong one." Moonais, the mare to his left, smiled calmly from under her own cowl. She had a smooth black coat and a wavy orange mane, her eyes a deep brown that seemed to drink in the light around her. In fact, she was quite the pretty equine, her curvy shape and lady-like grace often drawing the eyes of stallions. Of course, her friend here was an exception. "...we are running out of time, Van. He must be found...and by us. Otherwise, everything is lost. Fret not, my dear Talon...I am certain of this." Her voice faded to a whisper as they approached the North Gate of the city, it's massive bars scaling dozens of feet into the air. The Crystal Walls, created by the magical efforts of Rahmane, were almost impossible to destroy...enchanted and wrought from the energies of the land itself. It is a shame not even they will be able to hold out in the future...

When they at last arrived, Moonais removed her hood to reveal her face, as did Van. A blue gemstone was placed in the center of the mare's forehead, where a horn would go. Both she and the griffon went through the gates, and upon entering, she caught sight of two guards standing outside the barracks. Clearing her throat, she approached them both with a serene, emotionless expression. Addressing Chainmail and his partner, she gestured toward the Inner City. "...excuse me, gentlecolts. My name is Lady Arial, of House Terdas among the High Blood. I was wondering if one of you could escort myself and my fellow, Lord Silverwing, to the Imperial District...how about you?" She smiled at Chainmail, waiting for his response.

Within the Diamond Hall

Nothing she had said to gain entrance was a lie, but nothing she said was quite the truth either. Her affiliation with House Varsai was real, after all she was the child of General Honor Bound who hailed from that house. She was born in Ashen Gate and she was a mare, at least at the time when they asked. The hassling at the gates was a little bit more than usual, but she expected as much today. The Empress would be out and surrounded by a lot of individuals so they had to keep their defenses tight, lest they look incompetent in the face of an incident. Luckily she wasn't here for that purpose; The Nightchildren had heard of the new Prince of Ravens, but they knew next to nothing about him, observation and intelligence gathering was all they wanted from her this time.

The mare fit in perfectly with the crowd, her pristine taupe coat, silver eyes and light beige mane complemented her bright red and gold silk kimono perfectly in a way that drew positive attention instead of eyes of suspicion. She floated elegantly across the floor, carried by graceful hooves. Sweet Taffy socialized with the many other High Bloods as she maneuvered the crowd, idle little mare to mare chats, saucy flirts with the stallions, and a few drinks from the servants were all pleasurable, but the fact that they were no more than a means to an end soured the experience for her.

Eventually after a little positioning, the mare got a good look up at the throne. There she was in all her glory, the Empress Tulipia Dragoran. Sweet Taffy snorted. Totally uninterested in the mare. To her side stood Black Knight. Taffy scowled, should something need to be done, he would make things much harder than they needed to be. Finally, in the other throne sat the Empresses son and he was a unicorn. The mare smirked at this interesting piece of information, but other than that he looked rather uninspiring.

She decided to continue watching the prince for the time being.

-[colour=#0000ff]Moonfire Starborn[/colour], The Temple of the Moon, Moonrise city-

A lone fae stalked down the streets, seemingly in a hurry. From a bystander's point of view, her face was hidden by a cloak, and she was wearing what looked like a dark green set of armour. She turned corner after corner, until finally, she reached a dead end. A chilling wind broke out from behind her, and she began to turn around, fearing what might be there. Her eyes widened as she was engulfed in darkness.

[colour=#0000ff]"Gah!" [/colour]Moonfire awoke in a cold sweat, her head resting upon a wooden desk, cluttered with files, reports, and research. [colour=#0000ff]"That same dream.........." [/colour]She chided to herself, recognising the figure. Only this time it was much clearer, and she could make out the armour on the wolf's coat. She noted it down, before nearly jumping out of her seat as she heard her door knock. [colour=#0000ff]"Just a moment!" [/colour]The adolescent moon wolf yelled, getting up out of her chair and walking towards a mirror, taking a look at herself. Her coat was a matted mess, a result of being locked up in her apartment for days on end, researching a mysterous organization she only knew as 'The Gardeners'. She growled and trotted over to the door, finding an armoured changeling waiting for her. "I've been sent to escort you to the temple m'lady." The changeling soldier said, his posture straightening as he saw his charge. Moon growled, this was most likely another of her grandmother's exploits. [colour=#0000ff]"I can make my own way to the temple thank you. Tell my Grandmother I can take care of myself." [/colour]She sighed, closing the door on the soldier's face.

Moon then walked over to her bedroom, taking a moment to pretty herself up for the festival. Nothing too fancy, she just straightened her coat out and put on an average looking silver dress. She hated the things, but her Grandmother always told her she had to look the part if she was to become the next alphess of the clan once she was gone. She then reached for her Qai'maga, an ornate silver necklace with a saphire embedded in the center, a gift from her grandmother. The only useful gift she had ever recieved in fact. Stopping to take a glance at herself in the mirror, she nodded. For once in her life, she looked like an actual heir to the clan, and not some sorry tomboy excuse for a starborn female. She growled as she thought about her fellow clan-blood, they were so dismissive and....... well....... boring. Some of the males were ok, although most of them were to obsessed with whoever was the smartest or the best at growing a plant to care for what Moonfire did. Stopping by the door to her rather small apartment, she took a moment to look over it all. A tattered mess. Just the way she liked it. Moon smiled as she closed and locked the door, beginning the walk to the Temple of the Moon.

The temple was situated in the middle of the city, and had beauty matched only by the crystal palace of the empress itself. It's walls were adorned by precious jewels, priceless artifacts and century old tapestry's and paintings of the first Baraki civilisations. The empire never truely took hold of the city, a fact that the inhabitants are extremely proud of, and therefore the treasures situated here were guarded like a mother does unto her newborn foal. The temple was also one of the few places Moonfire truely felt at peace in, and could relax without distraction by her thoughts. Walking into the main hall, she spotted her grandmother and began to walk over to greet her. Moon's grandmother, or high mistress Viola Starborn as the rest of the world knew her, was a sight to behold that night. Her coat an ebony black, and amber eyes that could slice through mountains, she wore a red kimono dress, patterned with gleaming white stars. Moon smiled as she walked up and nuzzled the old fae, a customary greeting between two Baraki. Viola licked Moon on the nose affectionally in return. "It is good to see you Moonfire. How have your days been recently?"

After about half an hour of talking Viola sighed. Moonfire frowned, something was wrong. Her grandmother never sighed like that. [colour=#0000ff]"Something the matter Grandma?" [/colour]Moon asked, tilting her head in confusion. Viola looked towards her, a sad exp<b></b>ression adroning her face. "Moonfire, ever since your mother died in childbirth and your father left, I have taken it as my duty to protect you from any danger in this world. I reared you as my own cub, just as I did your mother and your uncle." Moon frowned even more, something was definitely very wrong. Viola never talked like that, she was all about the present and the future. [colour=#0000ff]"What do you mean?" [/colour]She asked, starting to get slightly worried. "There...... There is someone I would like you to meet." As the alphess said this, a figure began to walk towards the pair slowly. The Baraki was of large stature, with chestnut brown eyes and a grey coat with mauve stripes strewn across it. He was wearing a cloak, but it bulged from underneath, from what looked like a sword hilt and armour. The robe opened up as he walked revealing the armour to be of deep green and red in colour. Moon's eyes widened, her breathing accelerating as the mysterious figure strode towards her, each footstep of the clanking armour seeming to drive a nail through Moon's perked ears.

He stopped, taking down his hood and smiling a toothy grin at the two. "Allow me to introduce captian Decimus of the empress' royal guard, the nightingales, or as you may better know them, the gardeners." Moonfire's heart raced at a thousand miles a second, the legendary, almost fairytale organisation she had just spent the past month and a half researching had just revealed itself to her whole. [colour=#ee82ee]"The pleasure is all mine m'ladies. Now, to get down to business." [/colour]The captain spoke in an irish sounding accent, his smile not faltering for a second, it was a bit unnerving. Turning to Moon, he spoke. [colour=#ee82ee]"Now, from what I have been told, you are very interested in our organisation, yes? Been studying it for a while now. See, the problem is, it is meant to be kept a secret from all outsiders. This means that nobody can know of it's existence, except for those trusted by the empress herself." [/colour]Moon gulped as the ominous male spoke, looking over to her grandmother, who just sighed and just turned away. [colour=#ee82ee]"[colour=#ee82ee]I also understand that you are indeed a very skillful user of astral magic, one of the few magics not tainted in coltara. Would you mind if I see a demonstration? A simple spell will do." [/colour][/colour]Moon nodded shakily, closing her eyes and reciting a quick incantation within her head. A glass of wine appeared out of thin air, to the captain's happyness as he plucked it out of the air and drank the drink whole.

[colour=#ee82ee]"Very good. Now, back to business. As I said, our organisation is secret, which means no outsider should know it exists. That means bad for you lass. But, as you are blood bound with the high mistress over there, I am obliged to give you two options. Option number one, I erase the whole ordeal from your mind, and you come out clean as a whistle, but you will not recall what has happened within the last month and a half." [/colour]Moon gulped again, her legs quivering in fear. She had no idea of what she had gotten herself into, of the consequences that would fall on her. [colour=#ee82ee]"Option number two, you join us. Simple as, no sugar coating. You live your life as a servant to he empress herself, and guard her and the family with your life. So then lass, which will it be?" [/colour]Moon's eyes lit up, she already knew what she would choose. Before she could answer, she forced herself to look towards her grandmother, who was still resigned to looking away from the pair.

[colour=#0000ff]"I'll............ I'll take number two please........." [/colour]Moon blurted out, her heart stil racing from the ordeal. Decimus' face twisted into an all out grin, [colour=#ee82ee]"Excellent choice lass! A face like yours is too pretty to be tampered with now isn't it? We will leave for Ashen Gate within the night. But for now, enjoy yourself for the night and say goodbye to any close ones." [/colour]With that, Decimus walked away and dissapeared into the crowd. After explaining the situation to her grandmother, not surprisingly the only close relative she had, she decided to enjoy herself until she had to leave, it was the festival of lights after all. After about an hour of socialising with the others assembled at the temple, she left for her apartment to gather her belongings. Only gathering her essentials, she threw off the dress and donned a more comfortable set of flexible leather armour she always wore when she hunted, being one of the few Baraki who did in her clan. She found Decimus waiting at her door, a now more serious exp<b></b>ression on his face.

[colour=#ee82ee]"Are you sure you want to do this lass? You will be giving up any chance of a normal life, and will have to go through training before you are admitted full status." [/colour]Moon shut her door lightly, sighing as she contemplated the question. [colour=#0000ff]"Yes. I never asked for this life, I always dreamed of being a soldier instead of a ****ed politician. Besides, I never was a good one anyway." [/colour]She giggled a bit excited of what laid ahead for her.

Dusk wandered along the streets of Ashen Gate, doing his best to travel through the capital city during the Festival of Lights. That was rather difficult though, since he was in the middle of a rather large, slow moving crowd of ponies. He was walking at a pace of a few steps a minute, and if he tried moving any faster, he would walk right into somepony for sure. He really didn’t like it. With a grunt, he forced his way out of the crowd onto the side of the street, next to some impressive buildings. He lightly dusted himself off and then went over his belongings, making sure everything he had been wearing was still being worn by him. He looked over his shoulder , checking on his gray traveling cloak, which normally would have been rather plane, except it now had several pins decorating it, each pin having a long colourful ribbon attached to it. Lifting the cloak a little showed a pair of straps on his back, which were attached to his saddle bags. He quickly lifted the flaps of each bag to check on his possessions. His eye caught on a rather large yet sadly deflated money purse. He sighed slightly and let the saddle bag close again. He reached up and reset his grey hat, which had a rather large brim meant to keep the sun off his head, which was largely pointless, due to it being night time.

With his woefully small amount of possessions in check, he turned back around to look out at the crowd covered street he had just forced his way out of. The street was bathed with light, some of it coming from festive lanterns, and some of it coming from the moon high overhead. Along with the lights came the sounds, hundreds of ponies all mingling together in massive crowds, entertainers going about their business, venders and stall owners yelling about their wares or offering food. Finally, complementing the sounds and lights, were the sights. The beautiful buildings had dozens of colourful lanterns and ribbons hanging from their eaves. The ponies in the crowd had ribbons too, as well as hoof-held lanterns and colourful clothing. With this just being day one of the festival, it was expected that it would probably get even more festive tomorrow.

Dusk looked the crowd over, trying to find some sort of opening or way through. Of course, there was none. He sighed and started walking alongside the building, which was slightly less crowded then the street itself. Still, he moved at an agonizingly slow speed. He made it to an intersection in a few minutes, which would have taken him a few seconds if the street wasn’t so full. Luckily, he was already fairly close to his goal, only a block or two away. He took a right ad started heading along the street towards his goal. As he got closer, the crowds thinned another point of luck in his favour. The crowds stopped completely a block away from it, but Dusk kept heading towards it. When he was halfway down the block he turned right into an alleyway. He sat down on the alley floor and shrugged his saddle bags off his back. He reached into one of the bags and pulled out a small looking glass.

With the looking glass in hoof, he went back to the alley entrance and peaked around the corner. He lifted it up and peered through it down the street at the Imperial Palace. He tilted his head slightly as he looked the impressive structure over. [colour=#996633]“Of course, I’m certain it’s in there”[/colour] he mumbled to himself.

~Grand Seat, Eisar Xing'hai. Within the Diamond Halls~

The large, ancient Baraki towered over his fellow High Bloods within the Halls, his lustrious white coat covered in wavy, red ceremonial markings for the Festival. His slim, piercing blue eyes scanned the crowd while he maintained his silence. Other lords and ladies greeted him and spoke to him, but all he would do was acknowledge them and half-listen. Something felt...odd...about this night, and Luna forbid that it was an omen to worry about. He had been the High Seat of House Xing'hai for one thousand years since his days as a cub, and he was an aged wolf amongst his race. Soon, very soon, his old age would have him awake from this world and continue to the next. Baraki lived for a long time, and have been known to transcend the ages of the other, more mortal races. Why, his own grandfather had lived during the Empire's founding. It was after the leaving of a Lady of House Silvarn that he noticed a mare watching the young Prince of Ravens. His eyes narrowed in suspicion, and he approached Sweet Taffy, his pawsteps almost inaudible. Striding up beside her, his face was completely devoid of emotion. He followed her gaze to the Prince, and smirked slightly.

"...I've heard that the foal is good-looking, but I didn't think I would find one of his admirers here... I am called Eisar. You are...?" He let the question hang there, watching her from the corner of his eye. It was true that Baraki never played Los'Dimar, but it didn't mean that Eisar did not know his way around it. These younger races...so devious and energetic it seemed to him.

The pegasus had forgotten how long she'd been staring at the prince. The unicorn wasn't doing anything of note, but he could at any moment take action. If he spoke to somepony she wanted to know to whom, if he ate, she wanted to know what it was, and he moved, she wanted to know what muscles were used. All of this would help formulate just what kind of stallion the Prince of Ravens was. Though it did strike her as odd that he was a unicorn. She knew the general disposition towards wielders of the corrupt energies, and was quite surprised that he sat there not being harassed by other ponies who might have 'words' against such blatant bias treatment. Her eyes shifted to the mass of armor between Rubyn and the Empress. Ponies maybe fickle, but they aren't always stupid. Nopony would dare say anything with Black Knight so near. All of this pondering left her frozen, her gaze locked on the prince as her mind ran through the myriad of sensory information. Yet she did not her his approach.

"...I've heard that the foal is good-looking, but I didn't think I would find one of his admirers here... I am called Eisar. You are...?"

Sweet Taffy mentally cringed. [colour=#daa520]how could I caught off guard by some lowly pon- [/colour]She thought as she turned to meet her company. The being that her eyes met was anything but lowly.

Once the name registered, what she saw made sense...Eisar, High Seat of Xing'hai. Baraki. The peaceful predators.She'd have to watch herself, the wolf's wisdom and perception far outmatched hers. Hopefully he was there only for a little small talk, but she'd have to tread lightly.

[colour=#daa520]"An admirer, no. For now I'm no more than a curious mare."[/colour] She said retaining her analytic gaze. Her silver eyes softened and she looked up to the great wolf, too much focus on the prince would prove suspicious. She gave him a warm smile and bowed lightly. "Charmed to meet you Eisar, I am Sweet Taffy." She thought about her options at this point, she could push for information but how. Suddenly an idea struck her. [colour=#daa520]"You thought I admired him, did you? I rarely keep to one place for very long, and In my travels I have heard barely anything about him, no impressive exploits, just that he exists." [/colour][colour=#000000]The line had been cast, now she could only hope that her question would seem like something that a house mare maneuvering the Los'Dimar 'board' would say.[/colour]

~Eisar Xing'hai, within the Diamond Halls with Sweet Taffy~

The moon wolf noticed a small tension appear within the mare when he spoke, but it swiftly disappeared from her body, as if it were never there. She must have been absorbed in her thoughts to trigger such a reaction...but what thoughts exactly? Eisar glanced back toward the Prince of Ravens, before returning his icy-blue eyes back to Sweet Taffy. "An admirer, no. For now I'm no more a curious mare." He chuckled at the remark, his laugh a mix between a hearty growl and a rumble. "...as my nurse once said, 'curiosity kills the cub'. Especially in this case, considering who he is. I hold nothing against unicorns, but I do know that they can be dangerous...it is unfortunate."

He smiled in return, but the smile was toothy. He could see her probing...but, of course, he himself had nothing to worry about, so why not humor the young mare? "...yes, the young Prince is quite the enigma. He has been essentially concealed from most of the Empire for...protective...reasons. But just a few weeks ago was his twentieth naming day, and he finally inherited the position of the Prince of Ravens. That, in itself, is enough to establish his name in the history books." The old Baraki paused, closing his eyes as if recounting a distant memory.

"The position he is in is given only to the unicorn children of an Empress. The reason behind that, I cannot say. But it has been four hundred years since the last Prince of Ravens...and I can guess why, considering what that Emperor had done. Emperor Argentus Dragoran...former Prince of Ravens and responsible for the War of the Second Lightbinder...the most powerful False Lightbinder to have walked Coltara. Countless other False Lightbinders had sprung up before and after him, but none had ever been a member of the Imperial Family. He was obsessed, driven by the Madness that he was Silvan reborn...his downfall came from his own daughter, but not after five years of struggle and the almost-total destruction of the Empire. I would guess that after his death, every other unicorn foal the Empresses had were disposed of out of fear of a second Argentus. That is, until Rubyn."

He blinked, laughing again out of embarresment. "Oh, but listen to me prattling on...must be my old age, forgive me young one. As for Rubyn...I have met him countless times the past twenty years, and he is...intriguing. I would say that his level of compassion and honesty is far beyond the rest of the Imperial Family. I pray to Luna that he never has to use magic...something like that happening to a good equine like him would be tragic."

[colour=#282828]~Chainmail, Ashen Gate's Northern Gate~[/colour]

All this standing around and doing nothing was making Chainmail tired. Surely his shift had passed? Private Gildermane, the pretentious twonk was no doubt trying to avoid his duties. Chainmail was no expert at deducing the time from the lunar position, especially in special circumstances like the illustrious Festival of Lights where the moon always seemed so much larger, but surely his three hours had passed? No doubt Straight Lace would know. [colour=#00ff00]"Hey, Straight,"[/colour] Chainmail called to his current partner.

[colour=#8b4513]"It's Private Lace, Private Chainmail. We're on duty therefore we must uphold the appearance of professionalism. Our actions would reflect poorly on the EVA otherwise,"[/colour] Private Straight Lace replied rather snappily.

Chainmail made a show of rolling his eyes.[colour=#00ff00] "Of course, Private Lace. I was just wondering if my shift was over, and if it was time to summon Private Gildermane,"[/colour] he then replied calmly.

[colour=#8b4513]"You should be able to work out the time from the lunar position yourself, but seeing as it would be improper of me to not assist you." [/colour]Straight let that hang as he checked a large brass watch attached to his wrist. [colour=#8b4513]"Your shift ended... half an hour ago. Private Gildermane should have relieved you at that exact time. Another display of negligence! If he wasn't Imperial Family then he would be facing severe disciplinary action! If he didn't relieve you, and then you were to fall asleep and allow creatures with ill intent through the gate, then it would all be on his head!" [/colour]Straight Lace was positively fuming. This was a serious breach of protocol in his mind. Of course to Chainmail it was a different story.

[colour=#00ff00]"Don't worry, Str- Private Lace, I'm sure th-" [/colour]Chainmail began when he noticed two cloaked figures moving up towards the gate. He lifted a hoof to point out the rather suspicious figures when they removed their cloaks, and he clearly saw their faces. Straight Lace noticed his staring, and then the figures, and quickly scrambled to return to the official guard position. Chainmail was less obsessed with the official stance, but still made sure to straighten his posture. They looked like they were on business, but the lack of luggage was surprising. As they drew to a stop, and the mare stepped forwards, Straight Lace opened his mouth, but Chainmail spoke first. Didn't look like the kind of ponies to trifle with.[colour=#00ff00] "Welcome to Ashen Gate. May I ask your name and business in the city?" [/colour]he asked politely.

As the mare responded, Chainmail noted curiously that the pony had some sort of crystal on her forehead. Of course he made a point of not staring though. She introduced herself as a High Blood, like he had assumed, but he was surprised that her griffon companion was a fellow noble. He had assumed him a bodyguard from his bearing. There was something odd about the serene manner in which she had responded too. Even the most polite inquiries from the guard tended to draw the ire of a High Blood. It was a pleasant change, and there was something... enchanting about the mare. Not just her physical appearance, which was rather appealing, but something... deeper.

[colour=#8b4513]"I must inform you that it is not the duty of the-" [/colour]Straight Lace began, but Chainmail nudged him with a hoof to shut him up.

[colour=#00ff00]"I was just about to go off-duty and head into the city myself. It would be my pleasure to escort you to the Imperial District,"[/colour] Chainmail replied with a dutiful nod. Before Straight Lace could raise another complaint, Chainmail gestured with a hoof for Lady Arial and her cohort to follow, and he began to trot into the city proper.

Even the outer city was crawling with ponies, but the combination of the High Blood, the EVA Soldier, and the rather large griffon was enough to have the crowd make room. Chainmail may have only been a recent conscript and fresh out of training, but he wore the distinct uniform of the EVA, and that was enough reason for the Commoners and occasional Low Blood that frequented the outer city to give room. Having lived in Ashen Gate all his life, Chainmail knew where the main hubs of the festivities were, and was able to guide his charges around the thicker crowds, taking a slightly longer trip with more twists and turns. It wouldn't be too much longer until they reached the gates to the Imperial District.

~Moonais (Arial) and Van (Silverwing), within Ashen Gate, the Outer City~

Moonais smiled at the young colt's response while Van watched him and the other guard with a blank, stone-like face. She and her griffon companion followed Chainmail quietly, moving steadily behind him. As they began to enter the crowded portions of the Outer City, the throngs of commoners and Low Bloods made way for them, a few excited whispers and comments being made by many. The streets were strewn with many different coloured lanterns, costumes of dragons and water serpents dancing through the gathering of creatures. Of course, dragons were long gone and water serpents haven't been seen in two thousand years...but the other races still remembered them. This whole Festival was a celebration of remembrance. However, there were also wicked-looking suits that were made to look like some of the evil Darkspawn of legend, ranging from the animal-like Deblins to the shadow-wreathed half-equine Wraiths. Great, hulking mechs brought in from Harin'Dor marched about, their huge steel legs caused tremors upon hitting the ground, and various other machinery burst out clouds of steam as they worked, creating food for the Festival or simply keeping the city lights running.

A few foals, cubs, and hatchlings zoomed by in their path, one accidently bumping into Moonais. The little pegasus foal shook out of fear for a High Blood's wrath, her friends simply waiting to see what would happen. Van said nothing, while his counterpart gently smiled and pulled a beautiful blue rose from one of her saddlebags, and gave it to the little filly. With a shout of joy, the pegasus foal took it and chased after her friend, leaving Moonais laughing softly as they continued on their way again. Peddlers shouted from various stands, trying desperately to draw their attention in particular; if a High Blood lady was here in the Outer City, then surely she would be willing to buy something! Revelers and actors danced, re-enacting famous battles from the Age of the Three Kingdoms, and bards singing of great epics like The Journey of Bane Seastrider or The Search for Golden Mane. However...no one dared even speak of the battles of Silvan Lightbinder. To even utter his name was a great offense, and most records outside of the Blood about him were either burned or taken. She disagreed with this policy...but she knew that only the Empress herself could change such a law.

She eyed Chainmail for a moment as they trotted along, pondering on who he must be. Judging on his stance and movement, he hadn't been a soldier long...which made sense, considering how young he was. To be enscripted at such an early age must mean he was a member of the Low Blood, who often did so in order to secure their futures faster. Also, the way he spoke suggested that he was the carefree, perhaps artistic sort of equine. After a moment, she moved up alongside him, keeping her eyes ahead. "...so, my dear soldier, do you have a name? If you are to be joining myself and Lord Silverwing, it would only be fair to know how to call you. Don't worry yourself about the Great Game, either...I refuse to play it on the holidays, and I want to get to know my knight in shining armor." The pretty black mare meant it as a joke, keeping that gentle, serene smile on her face. Meanwhile, Van simply looked around him, his eyes narrowed like a hawk and searching for any possible dangers that may appear. There were many who would like to see Moonais dead, and very few of them weren't Nightchildren...bloody curs.

~Tulipia Dragoran, Empress of the Empire. Within the Diamond Hall~

"...my dearest Black Knight. I am surprised to see you returned to me so early. Of course, not that I am complaining, for your comfort has always been appreciated after the Emperor's death. However...I take it you found what you seek? Oh, and you may speak freely...the others are busy with their schemes and gossip, and my son here will not speak a word." The young unicorn at her side said nothing, simply eyeing the two of them sideways. Servants began to pour into the hall, and one of them approached them with glasses of wine. The Empress took hers, then Rubyn, and the servant finally offered the tray to the fearsome Black Knight, the young mare's legs shaking.

"But maybe he should? You know what they say, Your Majesty 'One should not fear the questions...and the answers.' " Black Knight said slowly, weighting each word. "But they also say, that silence is the greatest advisor." he added. When servant finally offered him some wine, he just shook his helm bearing head "I need beverage not, child. And don't fear...as long as you serve Empress faithfully your heart and my blade shall never meet."

General waited a moment it took Tulipia to taste her wine before he continued.

"Indeed I found one who I was seeking. Boisterous pony he was, in his arrogance he challenged me... Surely he believed that barrier of distance will protect him, and that I will not answer his call..." Black Knight stopped for a moment to gaze the crowd before he continued.

"I spared his life, but took the flight....will he work hard, he can regain it. And if that fool became any wiser from the experience, he would not seek attention of those above him without reason."

Gigantic stallion turned his head slightly, to look directly at Empress. "But it was not as interesting as some things that I found out while travelling there and back...I even made a few side-trips to pursue them. I can say only some of them here thought" he explained and once more looked around a room. Somehow the atmosphere of this night felt familiar to Black Knight...but he couldn't tell if it was good or bad.

"First, - the 'Boundary' is shifting. It is possible that something...or somepony could come to our side. The disturbance seems to come from the 'other' land. It will last a full lunar cycle. Watchers expect that opposite will be achievable during next one." general stopped to give Empress time to digest the information "I also collected some whereabouts about one of Sages. I was surprised that he...or her is still alive but the proof I found is undeniable. However it costed me...few of my soldiers. With you permission, I will pick their replacements from the Army ponysonaly, like usual." he requested.

"And finally...'They' are making their move. They believe that the Young One could be incarnation of 'Him'. Not surprising considering a 'last time'. But even I couldn't find what exactly 'They' are planning to do with that suspicion..." he told in apologizing tone. Suddenly Black Knight frame stiffened. He straighten up to his full high and looked around.

"Something is wrong..." he growled "It's just like then..."

Sub-Zero - The Ashen Gate, Market Square ------> Gate of the Ashen Palace

A very exotic stallion walks about the market of The Ashen Gate. Ponies of all races and social classes glance at him in wonder and deep confusion. Everything about this stallion appears foriegn in nature. Majoity of his body is hidden by a simple lightweight armor; it looks similar to that of a shadow asassasin but different. It is mostly black with a contrast of cobalt fabrics. Upon his chest is a platinum medalion with a grand blue sapphire at its core. It may be a signet of nobility... What can be seen of his coat upon his forelegs and around his eyes, his coat is an icy cyan. His eyes are a deeper colour of his coat but very briliant; they almost glow like moonlight off a frozen lake. The strangest thing about this stallion is that he walks about upon his hind legs. This is nearly unheard of. The lone stallion also has this stange cold aura about him, both literally and metaphorically. His eyes seem stern and lack of any emotion. His body seems to emits this very thin frosty mist. Those who walk behind him can feel a erie chill.

Eventually he comes upon the destination he seeks, the Imperial Palace. As he approaches the gate he is stopped by a platoon of guards, at least five to six stallions with a mare captain. His cold, foriegn, and intimidating presence causes much suspicion amongst them. [colour=#800080]"HALT! State your name and purpose for approaching the royal and divine grandness of the Imperial Palace!" [/colour]she orders loudly, sword ready to draw. The stallion stands solid and unmoved. His eyes remain cold and lack of any emotion. [colour=#0000CD]"My name and business is of no concern to you... I seek words with your Grandmaster."[/colour] he responds. His voice is as deep and cold as his eyes.[colour=#800080] "How dare you address me in such a manner! You have no authority to make such demands!" [/colour]she roars. She draws her blade and aims it at his heart. He remains unmoved. [colour=#0000CD]"They are not demands, but requests..." [/colour]he replies. Having her draw her blade sparks some anger withing the cold stallion. He looks down to the blade and then back to the mare captain before him. [colour=#0000CD] "It be wise for you to yield... your blood is not needed to be spilled..."[/colour] he says with a hint of arrogance. They stand quietly. The stallion's words actually fill the captain with enough fear for her to hesitate. They continue to stare eachother down...

-[colour=#0000ff]Moonfire Starborn[/colour], aboard the winter's edge, heading towards Ashen Gate-

Moon grinned as the wind flowed and whipped through her white coat, the feeling was brilliant. Decimus had brought her onto his personal airship, the winter's edge, and the two were now bound for Ashen Gate. Moon wondered what it would be like there, she had never before set paw outside of Moonrise city, let alone traverse the sky on a towering airship. Although she couldn't wait for her new life to start, she couldn't help but begin to miss her old life. It was carefree and easy, only occasionally being tough. But now her entire existence would be dedicated to one pony, Empress Tulipia Dragoran herself. Moonfire decided it would be best to keep her opinons to herself for the moment, as she did not completely trust Decimus yet.

[colour=#ee82ee]"I see you're enjoying the scenery eh lass?" [/colour]Decimus joked, finally coming out from his cabin, which Moon had been told was forbidden. Moon nodded, before replying to the armoured Gardener. [colour=#0000ff]"I've never been outside of Moonrise city's walls sir. The airship is......... well, enlightening, on what the land ouside looks like." [/colour]Decimus chuckled, walking up the the railing of the airship to stand next to her. [colour=#ee82ee]"Aye, I was only a wee pup when I had my first flight on the edge here. I never looked back. Now enough sight seeing, I think it's time for your first test. If you'd follow me below deck."[/colour] Decimus beckoned Moonfire forwards with his paw, opening the hatch and climbing down to the underneath of the airship. While the top of the ship was serene and calm, the sub levels were a jumbled mess. Pipes hissed and screamed, gears and gyros wizzed, and servants rushed about, intent on keeping the ship in working order. Decimus opened a door, leading to a large circular room, which Moonfire guessed the warrior used to train

[colour=#ee82ee]"If you'd take off your armour and step into the ring lass, i'd like to test your skills in a fight." [/colour]Moon nodded, doing as she was told. Decimus dropped his armour and sword, the garments falling to the floor with a heavy clang. [colour=#ee82ee]"Alright then. Lesson one-" [/colour]Decimus charged and knocked Moon to the floor, standing tall over her. [colour=#ee82ee]"Always expect an attack to come from anywhere, at any time." [/colour]Moon got back up, the two seperating to the opposite sides of the ring. Decimus grinned, daring her to attack first. Moon took the bait, baring her fangs as she charged, faster than the Gardener had expected. She managed to land a good blow, catching Decimus in the side of his stomach. Decimus swirled and slammed down on Moon's back, flattening her to the floor. The fae rolled before he had a chance to pin her, jumping to the side and lunging back at him. Decimus simply stepped to the side, letting Moon fall flat on her face. Moon growled and lunged again, this time hoping he would dodge. Doing as she had predicted, she used her momentum to bounce off the wall, smashing into Decimus and sending him flying. Before he could get back up, Moon pinned him, grinning widely. [colour=#ee82ee]"That's what I call a fight lass! You learned from your mistakes, and corrected your style, a rare trait among newbloods. Now come, I believe we have arrived. You may want to put on something nice for tonight, as we will be meeting with someone very special tonight."[/colour]

Decimus was indeed right, as the streets were packed with revelers and partygoers. Moon and him managed to get past the gate without a lot of fuss, only a stupid by-the-book guard who had to be convinced of Decimus' special errand, which he believed to be gathering a special brew of wine for the high blood party in the diamond hall. The pair moved through the crowd slowly, Moon constantly stopping and looking around, which Decimus thankfully didn't mind. Ashen Gate was a wonderous place to be in the Festival of Lights, and Moon wanted to absorb as much of it as she could while she still had the chance. Coming to a halt, Decimus smiled as he greeted a green coloured pegasus, presumably a fellow Nightinggale. [colour=#ee82ee]"If you would friend, please send word to you-know-who about our arrival." [/colour]The pegasus nodded, running off into the crowd in the direction of the palace. Moon gulped as she made a guess as to who the unknown character Decimus spoke of could be. Getting moving again, the two moon wolves started off in the same direction the green pegasus had three minutes earlier, the Crystal Palace.

The gargantuan building was beautiful in a way Moon had only seen once, and that had been when she was a little cub. The very walls themselves gleamed in the sparkling moonlight, creating a dazzling aura around it and the streets beneath. Hundreds of revelers danced and enjoyed themselves around it, a large amount huddling around the entrance, desperate to have thair five minutes of fame and make it inside to see the throne room. Decimus would have none of it, and began to push his way through the gathered crowd, recieving angry looks and even the occasional drunken idiot swearing at him. Moon kept close to him, hoping not to be lost within the mob. They soon got to the entrance, but found a small commotion blocked the pair's way. A lone stallion, surprisingly stood on his hind legs, blocked the gate, drawing the attention of the local guards. The fae's eyes widened as he openly declined the captain's request, the stunned mare drawing her blade. At that point Decimus had seen enough, and moved around the idiotic stallion. Moon followed slowly, gazing in awe at the odd pony, tilting her head slightly. But soon enough, Decimus moved to grab her and pull her away from the gathering.

Stopping outside the throne room doors, Decimus checked himself to make sure he looked presentable. [colour=#ee82ee]"Now lass, once we're through these doors, you remain silent unless spoken to. You do not talk to anypony, you do not look at anypony, you do not even breath on anypony. Understood?" [/colour]Decimus spoke in a cold, hard voice. Moon was surprised, it didn't fit him at all. [colour=#0000ff]"Y-yes sir." [/colour]She replied shakily, a tad nervous. Decimus grinned, placing his paw on the door and getting ready to move through to the throne room. [colour=#ee82ee]"Good. Now, follow me. Closely." [/colour] Decimus opened the door, drawing the attention of many of the high blood in the room. A few recognised him, but mst simply took him and Moon to be servants. Moon kept her head down, trying her very hardest not to make eye contact with any of the ponies in the room, scared like nothing else. There wasn't just one pony in this room who could make the rest of her life a living hell, there were hundreds. Thankfully, Decimus kept a quick pace and the two were soon enough near their destination. Moon's eyes widened again as she realised who they were going to speak to. The face of the Empress herself was clear now, and was as beautiful as a spring's morning. Stopping and taking a deep breath, Decimus cleared his throat before taking a large bow, readying himself to speak.

[colour=#ee82ee]"My Empress, holy in spirit and form as you are, I have returned from my task. I have chosen to indoctrinate the Starborn clan fae into our ranks, and have brung her here to be judged by your great and powerful wisdom. She has proven to be a worthy fighter in the ring of honour, and has proven the claim of her grandmother, Viola Starborn, Alphess of the Starborn clan, that she is an adept user of the Baraki's natural magic. Moonfire, please step forward." [/colour]Moonfire stepped forward, her legs quivering with sheer terror, her eyes glued to the floor, not daring to even glance at the infinitely powerful pony before her.

~Empress Tulipia, within the Diamond Halls with Black Knight, Rubyn, Moonfire, and Decimus)~

Tulipia listened to the Black Knight silently, a frown growing on her beautiful face...and increasing with every word. She lifted her eyes and watched in silence the approach of two Baraki as they strided across the glimmering tile floors. She raised her hoof gently to call her general to silence, removing the frown and replacing it with a cold, serene expression. One of the Baraki she knew very well; Decimus, a veteran Gardener and one of her most trusted advisors. She had known him since she was a foal, and as a result he was more of a father-figure than her own father. However, the fae she saw next to him drew a sense of curiosity. Young, quite young by Baraki standards, perhaps no older than thirty years. Despite the fact she had never seen the female moon wolf before, something was...familiar...about her, but the Empress couldn't put her hoof on it.

Upon arriving, Decimus spoke in a clear, voluminous tone as he addressed his Empress. "My Empress, holy in spirit and form as you are, I have returned from my task. I have chosen to indoctrinate the Starborn clan fae into our ranks, and have brung her to be judged by great and powerful wisdom. She has proven to be a worth fighter in the ring of honour, and has proven the claim of her grandmother, Viola Starborn, Alphess of the Starborn clan, that she is an adept user of the Baraki's natural magic. Moonfire, please step forward." Tulipia blinked. Of course...she could see the old Viola's features within the young she-wolf in front of her. Seeing the fae's nervousness, the Empress put on a warm smile in an attempt to soothe her.

"...there is no need to ingratiate yourself in such a way towards me, friend Baraki. Please calm yourself. I consider it an honor to have such an important member of the Starborn clan, and a Lunar Sage no less, as a new member amongst the Gardeners. My only question is...is this what you want? As my dear captain no doubt forgot to mention..." She shot a veiled look at Decimus, then returned to Moonfire. "...I give each new Gardener a choice. Unlike the Nightinggales, the Gardeners are not bound to me and my Family by law or oath. They are bound to me by their desire to serve and to help the Empire, and indeed all of Coltara, prosper."

She let the words sink in for the fae, while Rubyn stirred in his throne. The young unicorn stallion watched Moonfire with interest, although it was heavily hidden by the emotionless mask he wore. A Baraki from Moonrise City...he would have much to ask her.

The cold stallion grew tired of the insolence of the guards before him but he knows that either killing them nor pacifying them will result in him falling out of favour with the Grandmaster of the Empire. He swallows his pride and resorts to his intellect and status in an atempt to gain entry. [colour=#0000CD]"I am Sub-Zero, Grandmaster of the Kori no Yurei, an Ice and Water Sage clan within the realm of the Icewalkers. I request an audience with your Grandmaster."[/colour] he says bluntly. The captain stands somewhat confused and lowers her blade slightly.

[colour=#800080]"The Kori-no-what? Never heard of you." [/colour]she replies with a grunt.

[colour=#0000CD]"Good, you are not supposed to. May I enter?"[/colour]

[colour=#800080]"Do you represent the Icewalker Domain?"[/colour]

[colour=#0000CD]"I represent myself and my clan. I wish to have words with your Grandmaster."[/colour]

[colour=#800080]"Grandmaster? You mean the Empress?"[/colour]

[colour=#0000CD]"If that is what you call your leader then, yes."[/colour]

The captain thinks for a moment... [colour=#800080]"Fine, I will alow you to pass but you will be escorted by armed guard. Either agree to these terms or leave."[/colour]

[colour=#0000CD]"I agree."[/colour]

[colour=#800080]"Escort this 'Sub-Zero' to Her Majesty. She currently resides in the Diamond Hall with the High Bloods. Move!"[/colour]

Sub-Zero is lead into the castle by his guards. Most humiliating but necessary. For the good of his clan he must endure such dishonors. They traverse the palace, Sub-Zero observes the royal ellegance of architecture. These walls represent an extraordinary amount of power and wealth. This may be the perfect place for him to recieve help if any. They near a pair of giant steel doors. The guards at the doors slowly open them as the towering stallion enters with his escort. After taking a few steps in they halt behind him and motion him forward. Sub-Zero walks forward until he stops next to a moon wolf. The sight is rather interesting to Sub-Zero as he hasn't seen a Mun'Okami (moon wolf) in quite a long time. Apparently a younger of his kin is having an audience with the "Empress." He must remain patient. As he waits he observes all the nobility before him but then the mare in the center of the seats speaks to the younger Mun'Okami. She is revealed to be the "Empress." She is a strange creature. She appears very kind. A quality Sub-Zero never associated with those in places of leadership.

Chainmail trotted through the street, his standard issue spear sat snugly on his back. He couldn't help but stare at the splendour of the festivities as he and his temporary companions passed them. Dazzling colour and glittering metals filled his vision. The scents of cooked foods and sugary treats drifted around the air. The sounds of joyous exultation and clanks of contraptions rang throughout the town. The celebrations were in full swing. Chainmail was doing a decent job of avoiding the larger crowds by taking the side streets, but the further into the city they went, the thicker the celebrations became. Eventually there was no choice but to pass through the larger crowds. All manner of pony, griffon, and Baraki thronged the inner city streets.

Chainmail's breath caught in his chest when a small pegasus foal ran straight into Arial. He'd seen High Bloods physically lash out for lesser crimes. When she reacted with a smile, and then pulled out a beautiful blue flower he couldn't help but smile himself. They always say power corrupts, and in Chainmail's experience that held true of most High Bloods. Chainmail then noticed the griffon eyeing him up from behind Arial. His gaze was enough to send a shiver down his spine. Wordlessly he managed to quite clearly convey a message that he was extremely capable of killing Chainmail and wouldn't hesitate to do so if the need arose. Not a very lordly look. Something was definitely off about this pair. A High Blood with a conscience and a servile Lord. Both were completely at odds with the normal. Chainmail knew that messing in their affairs would be enough to end him, so he kept his trap shut and continued on the way.

As he concentrated on keeping their way as clear as he could, Arial suddenly spoke up to his surprise. He glanced to his side to see she had moved up beside him, and noted out of the corner of his eye that Silverwing had turned his gaze to the surrounding area. Chainmail had to suppress a scoff at the cheesiness of the "Knight in Shining Armour" comment, but that wasn't to say it didn't make him feel more at ease, just a little. His suspicions were getting the better of him, and he responded rather nervously.[colour=#00ff00] "Me? I am but a Low Blood Private in the Ever Victorious Army," [/colour]Chainmail began, playing up his lowliness and unimportance. Feeling that he hadn't said enough though, he continued,[colour=#00ff00] "I only recently concluded my training. This is my first assignment. Ashen Gate is my home, I've lived here all my life, and it is an honour to be allowed to guard her."[/colour] Chainmail's answer was fairly textbook with a healthy dash of patriotism. It wouldn't do to appear even slightly doubtful before a High Blood.

He looked up with a smile to note that they had arrived at the Imperial District. The royal palace came clearly into view as they passed through another gate, and the crowds seemed to lessen as the guard presence grew thicker. What had first seemed like it would be an easy job and excuse to travel into the city was quickly becoming a worrying affair. Chainmail had quite the imagination, and the actions of Arial and her partner were only feeding it. The rather attractive black mare's smile seemed genuine, and her actions seemed kind, which would put her in his good books in almost any other situation. Chainmail tried to be as kind as possible to other ponies himself. Chainmail looked up at the palace and another rhyme popped into his head. Chainmail knew that poetry wasn't just rhyming, obviously, but a strong rhyme scheme helped a message stick.[colour=#00ff00] "The palace towers overs us in the distance, stamping the Dragoran seal of authority over our existence,[/colour]" Chainmail found himself saying aloud quietly before he could catch himself. He physically cringed as he realised what he said and quickly added in a much louder voice. [colour=#00ff00]"We have arrived at the Imperial District. Where exactly is your destination?"[/colour]

Sweet Taffy nodded in agreement with the wise wolf's words. Though she knew much of the history, he filled in the space that she would have rather left at the back of her mind. Even if it was true, the thought of discarding your own foal just turned the mare's. Ultimate betrayal, to bear a life and then feed it to the cycle of death willingly...It made her shudder. She had been betrayed by family and no matter what she did, the feeling never seemed to leave her. Anger started to well up in her chest, but she kept it in check. As much as she wanted to try and strike the empress down here and now, she knew that it was a death wish. Plus it might not even be true. She gritted her teeth as thoughts of her deceased father flooded her mind.

Eisar's laughter brought her out of her past. [colour=#daa520]"No need for apologies, I may be young, but I recognize the importance of knowledge. Thank you for sharing."[/colour] She shook her head and looked at the floor before looking at Eisar again. [colour=#daa520]"Honesty...Compassion, Let's hope it is enough to fight back madness. I sense troubling times ahead of us, something I can't place my hooves on, but my instincts have yet to stir me wrong."[/colour] There was a fire in her eyes. A look of power and predation, but also of concern.

Two Baraki cut through the crowd and came before the Empress. Sweet Taffy could barely make out any sounds over the noise of the other nobles around her. She could the swear she heard the words Moonrise and Starborn Clan. The company of the Empress was beginning to get quite interesting. Right after the two newcomers had greeted the Empress, the doors to the Diamond Hall opened again. The pony that trotted in was no noble like the rest, not he was a warrior and his attire made it very apparent. [colour=#daa520]"It seems that this day has brought some unique visitors to Ashen Gate."[/colour]

Somewhere in Ashen Gate-

Draco sat in a alley shocked at the things that he just did... run away from home but he had too otherwise his uncle would have killed him but he just left the life never to return a life his father wished he had but his uncle saw to it that he never did have. these thought swirled around his head as he broke into sobs that permeated the air for over an hour it was the festival of lights... it was supposed to be a wonderful time instead it just made him feel worse. if it was not for these blasted wings he thought he would have lived a wonderful life a great one! no he had to be born with draconic wings that made him a freaky hybrid of course why not! his wings quivered under his fathers old cloak as he thought these things. he would have torn them off had they not brought his father pride to see him f;y around a room as a youngster... he sniffled at the thought of his father again and sobbed in the dark alley

-[colour=#0000ff]Moonfire Starborn[/colour], within the Diamond Halls with Tulipia, Black knight, Rubyn, Sub Zero and Decimus-

Moonfire was surprised with the way the empress reacted, deeply surprised. She had assumed that the ruler of the land would be a cold and hard leader, but Empress Tulipia seemed......... Rather gentle. Moon looked up slowly, still nervous about the situation. Here was the choice that would determine the course of the rest of her life, whether she remained a boring politician, or lived life as a Gardener in service to the empire. [colour=#0000ff]"Yes, I am sure. My grandmother, Luna bless her, tried to keep me away from my full the world outside my city's walls, dangerous as it sometimes is. But no, I wish to become a Gardener and help the empire grow. Life only happens once, and I intend to live mine to the fullest." [/colour]A spark of determination gleamed in her eyes as the fae spoke, small, but very bright and clear.

Decimus grinned once more as Moonfire pledged herself, he knew she would not decline. From what he had seen so far, here was a smart, proud young Baraki, who wanted nothing more than to show the world that fact. He himself had known Moonfire's mother, only briefly, but he could tell where the adolescent got her inner fire from. The captain was removed from his reminiscence of the past as a pony came up from behind him. It seemed to be the same pony from outside the gate. Perfect. Now this savage was going to cause a scene. The strange, bipedal pony was probably from up north in Icewalker's Dominion, Decimus could tell from his attire. He decided to ignore the strange stallion for now, tonight was about Moonfire and her acceptance into the gardeners.

The fae smiled slightly, most of the previous nervousness had melted away by now. She saw movement in the corner of her eye, and glanced over to the source. It must have been the prince, she hadn't noticed him until now. She was a bit surprised though, the prince was indeed a unicorn. Moonfire had thought it only urban legend that the prince was a unicorn, but true it was, a prince of ravens sat in front of her. She looked away quickly, trying not to seem rude. Her smile increased slightly, but she couldn't really figure out why. [colour=#0000ff]"If I may your majesty, may I ask when........." [/colour]She gulped, she really hoped she wouldn't seem rude. [colour=#0000ff]"When I start?" [/colour]At this statement, Decimus burst out laughing, the situation was hilarious to him. She had more fire than he had previous thought.

[colour=#0000CD]Sub-Zero[/colour] w/ Moonfire, Tulipia, Black Knight, Rubyn, and Decimus - The Diamond Halls, The Ashen Gate

As Sub-Zero stood with his fore hooves crossed, as thin frosty mist orbits engulfs his body. It is a result of both his natural Ice-bender abilities and a the fact that his body is a comfortable (for him) -10oC thus reacting with the water vapor in the air. Regardless of the strange icy aura about him, the stallion stands as if nothing significant is happening. He keeps silent out of respect and awaits his audiance with this "Empress." Before him he senses the spirit of the young Mun'Okami. She may seem timid but Sub-Zero can't help but feel that there is more to this youngling that what meets the eye. It even eludes him. In contrast to the reset of the room, Sub-Zero's presence stands out (only because he allows it too). The icy cyan coat of his fore-hooves and the briliance of his beep blue eyes are hard to miss. However, if Sub-Zero wanted, he could disappear and hide in the shadows like the master ninja he is. His focus remains forward but upon nothing in particular.

~Empress Tulipia, within the Diamond Halls~

The Empress saw a change occur within the she-wolf before her, as if the fae had just made a decision which would change her life forever...and indeed, she had. When the Baraki gave her oath, Tulipia's smile brightened at her acceptance. Indeed, having a Lunar Sage amongst the Gardeners would be an impressive display...it would keep many of her family members stepping lightly, for certain. "...that is excellent news, young Moonfire. I am gladdened that you are willing. As you may know, the province of Moonrise City is not under Imperial control...but it gives me great joy that relations between us are not spoiled. Later in the evening, I will officially make you a Gardener...but not quite yet."

Her eye strayed toward the mysterious, bipedal stallion next to Decimus, her smile faltering a little at the sight of him. That armor was quite a dangerous attire for him to wear...but it seems he knew nothing of why that is. Looking back at Moonfire, who she had noticed was looking at the Prince. Suddenly, an idea came to mind...and it pleased the Empress greatly. Her good mood was increased even further by the young she-wolf's eagerness. "...you will start this very evening, with a position quite vital and of great importance. I want you...to be the personal Gardener of my son, Rubyn. The Prince of Ravens has many enemies, within and without the Imperial Palace, and who better to guard him than a gifted Lunar Sage such as you?" Her smile widened a bit when she noticed her son gawk at her, his mouth trying to work up a response. Her eye caught that of Eisar, and she was pleased to see surprise on his face as well. The old coot...his hearing was too acute for his own good.

"...I know you will perform this task well, Gardener Moonfire. You are protecting the future Emperor of Coltara...I hope you understand what that means." Rubyn stood up from his throne, his eyes narrowed and his face expressionless. He had heard enough. Giving a respectful bow to his mother, he stepped away and proceeded toward one of the side exits reserved for the Imperial Family. He paused only long enough to gesture to Sub-Zero to follow him, before continuing on and out into the jewel-studded hallway. The Empress watched her son go with a concerned expression, but another emotion lay hidden there...was it fear? Anger? Disappointment? It was almost impossible to tell. A thought clicked in her head. She had completely forgotten about her daughter...where had the mare gone off to?

~Moonais (Arial) and Van (Silverwing), outside the Imperial Palace, Inner City~

Moonais listened as the young soldier spoke about himself. Sure, he offered no name, but he gave enough information to put her a bit at ease. At least he wouldn't be an agent...hopefully. The 'Hoof' were everywhere...and one may never know what the Empress might hear. The uneasy thought made her shiver inwardly...no matter what, she could not have any member of the Imperial Family know what she intended. There was something...off...about the colt next to her. As if...there was a sort of invisible pull. He couldn't possibly be...or could he? She blinked the thought away, for such a thing would be impossible with such an ordinary colt such as he. Van listened as well, but he gave no indication of doing so.

Upon arriving at the Imperial District, the crowds had begun to thin, now filled only with families of the High Blood or the distinguished members of the Low Blood, the Ashen Guard keeping silent watch in case of any violence or civil disruptions...but it was the Festival, and the only violent thing that occured during the holiday was drunken brawls in taverns or bars. Why, even the aggressive Minotaurs that occasionally appeared were subjugated by the magical event. She saw a passing pair of a Sul'jin wearing the iconic white robe and silver stars and her Rahmane pet, who wore only the dull gray most Rahmane wore. A silver bracelet was fastened to the Sul'jin's left foreleg, to which a chain was connected and led to the silver collar fastened around the Rahmane's throat. The unicorn mare had her eyes downcast, and her face showed the purest form of submission. The sight made Moonais cringe in anger.

The leash-holder greeted her with a smile, but all she could do was nod to her, swiftly continuing on. When they came close to the Imperial Palace, she overheard Chainmail's rhyme, and smiled in spite of herself. Artistic indeed, it seemed. When he asked where her destination was, she opened her mouth, but Van answered for her. "That, young soldier, is not of your concern. The affairs of the High Blood are not the same as of the Low. Remember your place...most are not as forgiving of such transgressions as the Lady Arial and I." His voice held no emotion whatsoever, simply the coldness of a glacier. He looked over to Moonais, who had a frown on her face at the way he addressed the colt, and he simply shrugged. Sighing, Moonais turned back to Chainmail with an apologetic smile. "...I'm afraid I must agree with my fellow Lord, my young soldier. It isn't something you should concern yourself with...but I wish to reward you for your service." As soon as she finished, she pulled out a leather pouch from her saddlebag and placed it on Chainmail's back, the clinking of coins being heard. There should be dozens of gold marks, enough for the young colt to enjoy the holiday like a king and longer, if he was smart with it. On the pouch was a small silver pin with a foreign emblem on it; a star with waves swirling below it.

"...I am afraid we must be going. May you have a joyful Festival, my young warrior." She gave him a quick peck of a kiss on the colt's cheek, drawing back and winking before she and Van moved off toward the palace. It wasn't long before Van took off flying in another direction. Whatever they were up to, it had to be important.