The Coltaran Chronicles: The Eye of the Gods (Open, Apply in OOC)

Valencetiger

[colour=#0000CD]Sub-Zero[/colour] following Rubyn - The Diamond Halls, The Ashen Gate

The icy specter, Sub-Zero, raises an eyebrow of confusion to the Prince and his summons. He obeys, hoping that the Prince may be his access to an audience with the Empress. Sub-Zero follows in silence, leaving a thin trail of mist in his wake. His mind begins to try and comprehend the situation. Why would the prince summon him? He hasn't even made his formal introduction. This stallion knows nothing about him... most strange and concerning. The Ice Sage keeps up his mental guard while appearing to be cold and docile.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

~Prince Rubyn, within the Diamond Halls with Sub-Zero~

The young prince waited in the hallway for the bipedal stallion, nodding to him and motioning down the hall with his foreleg. His crimson robes barely shifted from his movement, and the braids swung slightly. "...come this way. Unfortunately, my mother, the Empress, is unable to speak with you at this time...more concerning matters are being addressed. Besides...affairs with inter-Imperial factions and clans are to be directed by myself." He tipped his tan-coloured head, looking at Sub-Zero curiously. His eyes drifted down to the emblem on the stallion's armor, and they narrowed slightly. "...you are of the Kori no Yurei clan, I assume? Do not be surprised, though. As the future Emperor, I must know of all...'independant'...groups within the boundaries of the Empire."

He turned away from the stallion, keeping one blue-gray eye trained on him. "We shall discuss further as we walk...I have an appointment to keep, and I am afraid I cannot meet it if we simply stand here. I still find it...interesting...as to why one of you came here, considering your past. Enlighten me." Rubyn became silent, stepping away down the hallway.

[colour=#0000CD]Sub-Zero[/colour] following Rubyn - The Diamond Halls, The Ashen Gate

The cold stallion was surprised by the wealth of knowledge that Prince Rubyn had on his clan. However he hides it and continues his cold emotionless demeanor. [colour=#0000CD] "Your knowledge of my people is most impressive..." [/colour]he states with a lack of any tone. As they proceed down the chamber, Sub-Zero decides to fill the Prince in on the situation with the Kori no Yurei. [colour=#0000CD]"Sir. The Kori no Yurei have fallen upon very hard times. Attacks over the past 20 years by rival clans and other unknown factions as well as the death of my parents crippled us. My people are in need of wealth, food, and medicine. Such provisions will pave the way for us to regain our former glory and honor..." [/colour] He pauses... and then he quickly cuts in front of the prince. His brilliant and deep blue eyes stare into the Prince's. Then he kneels before the noble high blood. [colour=#0000CD]"I, Sub-Zero, Grandmaster of the Kori no Yurei, offer my servitude with great (and I mean extremely great) humility in exchange for securing the future of my people..." [/colour] Sub-Zero's pride burns at his heart however, the cold asassin holds firm and checks the blaze within him. His pride and honor must be second to the welfare of the Kori no Yurei.

~Prince Rubyn, within the Diamond Halls with Sub-Zero~

The prince listened to Sub-Zero about his clan's dilemma with patience and sympathy. Many out of the out-lying regions in Coltara were struggling after the brutal winter. Spring and summer came late this year, and it had harmed the Empire's resources exponentially. He wasn't surprised, also, to hear about the raids on his clan by rivals or bandits, for the Icewalker Dominion, despite being settled by the Empire for two thousand years, was still a barren tundra with little civility. The largest city, also named after the region, only held aproximately one million citizens. Compared to Ashen Gate's and Riptide Bay's populations, it was a pebble beside a boulder. When Sub-Zero spoke of what his clan needed, Rubyn could only sigh. "...you truly do not know...?"

As soon as the words escaped his lips, Sub-Zero immediately stepped in front of him, cutting him off from advancing further and causing the prince to blink in surprise. He wasn't angry, but rather...confused. No one had ever done that to him before, due to the fact he was a foal of the Empress, but this...commoner...had just done so. He was impressed. Suddenly, the bipedal equine dropped down to the knees of his hindlegs and knelt before Rubyn. What happened next, he was completely unprepared for; the mysterious stallion had introduced himself as the Kori no Yurei's Grandmaster...and pledged his service to the prince in the sake of his clan.

He stood there, silent for a moment, before shaking his head. Gently taking hold of the Grandmaster"s tunic, he lifted him up steadily to his hooves. "...I do not ask for you to kneel, Grandmaster. Nor do I ask you to pledge fealty. Right now, I can do nothing for you, nor can I accept your service...but by the end of the night, I will. My true consecration as the Prince of Ravens will occur at moon high." He paused, lifting his head as if listening to something. Indeed, there was a sound coming further down the hall; a soft, musical voice sang hauntingly, the song carrying on an echo. It was distorted, incomprehensible by the distance. Rubyn frowned, mouthing a word silently. He cleared his throat before looking back to Sub-Zero. "...in the meantime, tell me about yourself, and your clan. You may attend me tonight, if you so wish. If that is the case...you will meet my sister very shortly." He continued down the hallway, staying at an even pace despite the some-what hurried air he possessed.

After a few seconds of silence, the kneeling Sub-Zero was surprised as he was gently lifted up to his hooves by the prince. His conduct was more preplexing to the stallion. He didn't know what to make of it. To further his confusion, Prince Rubyn told him that he wasn't able to help his clan nor accept his services... yet. Why? Is it not a simple exchange? Why wait until tonight? Perhaps some ritual or rite of passage must be performed by the Prince in order for him to conduct such business with one as Sub-Zero. He isn't sure. The Prince's conduct continues to baffle the stallion as he invites the shinobi to keep him company and willing asks about the asassin and his clan. Sub-Zero felt he told him all he needs to know. Why would the Prince be interested in the history of his clan? Regardless, Sub-Zero will comply for disobeying may result in a bridge that he cannot afford to burn. He is very hesitant at first. The history of the Kori no Yurei are only know among his kin. They dwell in secrecy and veils of snow and shadows; hidden from the rest of the world. After a few silent seconds, the Grandmaster speaks. His voice is as cold and bold as the northern wind. [colour=#0000CD]"If it is your wish, then I shall follow." [/colour]Sub-Zero responds in his usual cold demeanor. He then begins to think upon the Prince's emphasis on Sub-Zero meeting his sister. Is this intel necessary? Why could this be important? To him, it matters not. He returns his focus and gathers his thoughts upon the history of his clan.[colour=#0000CD] "As for my people, this is what I can share... In my clan's language, 'Kori no Yurei' ranslates into 'Ice Ghosts.' We are a clan of ice sages who follow the path of the shinobi. Most who know us call us 'ninjas.' Life in the north is a constant challange everyday. Villages usually never grew very large however, those that did had large enough war partes to ravage and pillage what they wanted. In order to survive, one must be as swift, unrelenting, and mercilous as the Northern Winds. We fought from the shadows and hid in the snow. We took advantage of our enemy's weakness and struck fast and accurate. Our skills with blade and ice became that of legend. Some knew us in the north as 'the last thing you never see.' I was trained in this art since I was a foal of 5. Then the war came and the tribes used this time to attack us. We managed to survive the uprisings but many dead. We had to retreat further into our sacred lands within the northern mountains. When I was 10 my parents were asassinated by unknown forces. I was the only heir to the mantle of Grandmaster. I trained harder than any of my clan and I became strong. I took up my father's mantle with great honor and pride thus vowing to guide them through honor and strength. I struck fear into the hearts of my enemies to the point only few would dare test our resolve. As my rule strengthened, our people began to suffer more and more. The defeats of our enemies yielded little to no wealth and our influence never really spread as far as I anticipated. It caused many problems. Sickness ravages the young and elderly. Food cannot be grown in abundance within the mountains. My people were starving and dying before me and I didn't have the means to help them. I began to realize, desipte the resistance of my pride, that my people need help from beyond the horizon. Two years ago I began a pilgrimage to break my isolation of our lands and seek fortune and honor. My skills proved very valuable and I was frequently hired. I made many a personal fortune but I always sent it back to my kin and even that was only enough for them to s****e by. I wandered the lands looking for a way to return our strength and our honor. Thus... here I am now before you with great humility..."[/colour]

One would think that after such a story that Sub-Zero would begin to think about his people. He does not. His cold hard eyes remain focused forward as they walked, void of emotion.

-[colour=#0000ff]Moonfire Starborn[/colour], within the diamond halls-

Decimus' jaw nearly fell limp as he heard the empress' commands. Gardener of the Prince of Ravens himself? The veteran gardener had assumed Moonfire would be assigned to one of the lower high blood, maybe an imperial commander. But no, the empress' word was final, and he didn't object. He looked to Moonfire with a concerned gaze, this must have been a lot for her. The fae's eyes were widened, her breathing rate had increased. All of that previous bravery had vanished as the empress spoke. Gulping, she looked over to the prince slowly, who got up and walked off, taking that strange pony with him. At least they didn't have to talk to each other for now. Looking back to the empress, Moonfire bowed. [colour=#0000ff]"Yes ma'am. I will not fail you." [/colour]With that, she got up and trotted back to Decimus slowly, who was still concerned about her.

As the two began to leave Decimus spoke, thankfully in his normal, more casual tone. [colour=#ee82ee]"You ok lass? That must have been a bit......... Well......... Surprising to say the least. Gardener of the prince of Ravens! I would kill for a position like that, the empress must see something very special within you." [/colour]He said, stopping to drink a glass of wine on a table that had laid unclaimed. [colour=#0000ff]"Yeah, I guess............ When is his coronation ceremony?" [/colour]The fae asked, still a bit shocked. Decimus stopped drinking for a second, looking up to the moon through a window. [colour=#ee82ee]"When the moon is highest in the sky..........I'd say about two hours from now. That should give us enough time to get you your armour, and to take you someplace very important. Come."[/colour] Moon was surprised, she had thought that coronations were only meant to happen in the bright daylight. She guessed a prince of ravens was an exception.

The two walked outside, where the festival was still in full swing. Decimus slowed his pace, allowing Moon to have some fun as well, it was everypony's festival. Soon enough though, the pair had reached their destination. [colour=#0000ff]"Where are we?" [/colour]Moon asked, she hadn't seen this part of the city before. [colour=#ee82ee]"Somewhere very important." [/colour]Decimus replied, a small grin appearing on his face. Moon didn't have to wait long to get her answer, as the majestic site came into view. [colour=#0000ff]"Is that.........." [/colour]Moon trailed off, she had dreamed of visiting this place since she was a mere pup. [colour=#dda0dd]"Yes," [/colour]Decimus chuckled. [colour=#ee82ee]"That is the Moon Tree." [/colour]Moonfire gazed in awe as they walked up the gargantuan silver bark tree, she had only heard stories about it until now. Baraki of all ages revelled and danced around it, many of them made their home here, and they too loved the festival of lights. Moon wished she could join them, but Decimus kept his pace up, and she was forced to follow.

The inside of the tree was magnificent, treasures of all kind adorned it's walls. The fae even managed to get a glimpse of the legendary Likael'Maga that was kept here. She looked down at her own Qai'Maga, and wondered how her grandmother had gotten a hold of it before she gave it to her. Decimus stopped in front of an ancient looking door, arousing Moon from her thoughts. Decimus bowed, then proceeded to recite what his companion guessed was an oath of the gardeners. [colour=#ee82ee]"Silver as the moon we run. Quickly, silently, the never ending hunt has begun." [/colour]As he finished the oath, the door slid open with a loud creak, causing Moon to jump a little.

The pair proceeded into the inner sanctum of the tree, Moon still awestruck. Decimus stopped in front of another door, beckoning her forwards into the room. Inside was a set of dark green and crimson armour, surrounded by weapons of all descriptions. [colour=#ee82ee]"Here is your armour. Now, you need to choose a weapon of choice. This weapon will be your protector, your altar and the excecutioner of those against the empire." [/colour]Taking a step back, Decimus sat on a bench in the corner of the room, watching Moon closely. The fae looked around the room slowly, not sure which one she would want. She hadn't used many of them before, but recognised a few. Walking up to a war axe, she weighed it in her paws. It was light, easy to swing, but also very familiar, undoubtably of Moonrise city craftsmenship, as she recognised the half moon style the blade was fashioned in. She swung the weapon a couple of times, and was surprisingly skilled at doing so, carving the air with ease. [colour=#0000ff]"I think i'll take this one." [/colour]She said, a small smile adorning her face. At that, Decimus got up from the bench, a smile on his face too. [colour=#ee82ee]"Then try on your armour and we can take it easy until the prince's coronation." [/colour]Moon nodded, picking up her set of armour. It was light, and fit her form well, still allowing her lots of movement, which was surprising considering how strong it felt.

After a minute or two of learning how to move in the armour, Moon and Decimus left for the sleeping quarters. Most were, not surprisingly, empty, so it didn't take long to reach Moon's personal quarters. [colour=#ee82ee]"Get yourself acquainted with your room, i'll be back to fetch you for the ceremony in an hour." [/colour]The fae opened her door and was about to step inside, but Decimus called back to her. [colour=#ee82ee]"And Moon." [/colour]His smile returned again. [colour=#ee82ee]"High expectations." [/colour]With that, the veteran gardener left Moon to her own devices. Her room was not very large, but cozy all the same. She had bookshelfs, cupboards and wardrobes, even a small kitchen. A smal sack was laying on her bed, which she guessed contained her belongings from Moonrise city. Dumping the sack and her axe on the floor, Moon flopped down on her bed, taking in it's warmth. She decided she would have a quick nap before the prince's coronation began. She laughed, she hadn't even bothered to learn the prince's name before Decimus and her had left. Straining her memory, she finally remembered her grandmother talking about the prince once, remembering his name. [colour=#0000ff]"Rubyn........." [/colour]She said out loud, gazing blankly at the ceiling. With that last thought, she drifted off to sleep, still nervous about things to come.

~ Black Knight, within Diamond Halls

Black Knight couldn't shake the feeling that something will happen tonight. Even more, because for the brief moment, General could feel a killing intent in the air. While now the enmity disappeared without trace, stallion knew better then believe that all had returned to normal.

He was as surprised as all other when Tupalia announced that young Moonfire will be personal Gardener of the Prince. The gaze of Black Knight and Eisar meet over the crowd. In this short moment they exchanged all what was needed. Black Knight waited unlit two baraki and the Prince left the room before he spoke to the Empress.

"It was bold move Your Majesty. Are you sure she have what it takes? The cub can have the blood of the Viola and skill with magic but does she have what it takes?" he asked, with a doubt in his deep voice. Black Knight was one of the few who had guts to question Tupalia decisions. "Especially now...they may be many who will seek to...dispose of the Prince. And this young Moonfire seemed a little too innocent." Black Knight felt silent for the moment. "And about your son...I heard much about him from Goodwin. Wise Goodwin was a student of mine, and he himself was teacher of the Young Prince...not that Rubyn knows this. Goodwin written me many letters about him." Black Knight shifted in place and gazed at the moonlight.

"In his opinion, Prince was patient, disciplined and wise over his years. And I also heard that he chose the Way of the Spear. Even before sickness triumphed over him three months ago, my pupil written more about Rubyn then about his own health." Black Knight paused and looked at Tupalia "Because of this,Prince training is not complete...he needs a new teacher. If that would be possible, I would like to instruct him ponysonaly, Your Majesty."

~Prince Rubyn, departing the Diamond Halls and entering the Royal Garden~

Rubyn listened in respectful silence as Sub-Zero informed him of how the Kori no Yurei lived, their skills, their difficulties...it was difficult for the Prince not to interrupt the Grandmaster. Despite the assassin's certainty that his clan was shrouded in mystery to the outside world...that was not the case when it came to what was found in the Imperial Archives. The Prince knew much of the Kori no Yurei, and much of the topics Sub-Zero explained were simple recap for him...but he was shocked at what the bipedal stallion had either forgotten to speak of, or purposely left out. Did he truly not know, or was he hiding his knowledge? I'll find out tonight... The prince vowed to himself.

After a few moments of quiet, they arrived at the entrance of a spacious, indoor tropical garden. The Royal Garden, while not as diverse and beautiful as the Moon Garden the Gardeners tended, it held its own unique sense of beauty. Created to look as similar as to the rainforests in south-western Coltara, dozens of varieties of fruit hung from vines and tree branches, small creatures scrambled about in the underbrush. However, unlike the actual forests, the temperature remained at a constant, comfortable warmth that was maintained through special Qai'Maga placed in optimal corners of the circular garden. The dome above was created to simulate the sky, making a perfect copy of what the real horizon would look like at this time. A moon drifted across it, and Rubyn frowned at the time; one hour, and the ceremony will begin. The singing had grown louder and more distinct, and was now clearly identified the voice as feminine.

Leading the icy assassin through the foilage carefully, they trotted together for a couple of minutes before arriving upon a wide, green clearing where unnatural blue roses grew, their petals waving from a non-existant wind. In the center of the field were a couple figures sitting on a black and blue quilt. Both were pegasi, and the music was coming from them. One of them, a mare, sat comfortably on the quilt, singing her gentle requiem. The mare had a snow-white coat with a pale-yellow, hay-coloured mane. Blue beads hung on her mane, strung together in the normal Imperial Family fashion. She wore a long, golden gown which glittered like stars, and the laurel-crown on her head looked like a silver halo. The stallion sitting a bit away from her appeared the exact opposite; he had a pitch-black coat, a purple mane that hung unrestricted, and wore simple but stark dark-green and crimson armor. In his hooves lay a crystalline harp, which he plucked in tune with the mare's singing.

"...do I hear the birds singing? No, it's the cry of the forest..."

"Do I see the moon shining? No, it's just the flames burning."

"The place I once called 'home', burned to ashes before my eyes."

"It left behind the 'original star', which I split into seven pieces;"

"Ignis, the Warrior. Aquala, the Dancer. Terra, the Mother."

"Ventus, the Rogue. Luna, the Maiden. Astral, the Father."

"All come together, to form Silvan, the Lightbind-"

"Sister." Rubyn spoke tightly, his voice strained with slight anger and frustration. The mare and stallion turned to him, their eyes piercing. "...you know speaking of him is forbidden. Much less singing of him." The mare smiled; a mysterious, cold expression on her gorgeous face. She got up and approached him, her hoofsteps almost inaudible amongst the rose-covered ground. When she and the Nightinggale were only a few steps away from Rubyn and Sub-Zero, her smile widened. "Hello there, little brother. Came to visit me before your big coronation?" Her eyes drifted over to Sub-Zero, fierce and cold eyes. "...is this a friend? Oh. A Kori no Yurei...my, Rubyn, that is serious company. You aren't planning anything...dangerous...are you?"

Rubyn scowled, shaking his head in denial of her accusation. "...absolutely not, Lilith. Black Moon, please keep your hoof off your sword. It is unsettling." The Nightinggale blinked, before moving his hoof. His duty may be to the Princess of the Seals, but he still must obey a member of the Empress' Family.

~Empress Tulipia, within the Diamond Halls~

She could detect the large level of shock from those who had heard her proclamation with a small hint of amusement. However, that amusement quickly fled when her son left their presence with the mysterious Kori no Yurei equine. Hearing Moonfire's response, she could only respond to it half-mindedly. "...I know you won't, Gardener." The Empress said no more on the matter as Moonfire and Decimus padded away from the Crystal Throne and out of the Hall. Everything was silent for a moment, with the exception of the other conversations in the Hall, but it was soon broken when the Black Knight began to speak once more.

The Empress nodded firmly when her general asked her about her choice for Rubyn's personal Gardener. "Yes, I am certain. While she may be young, innocent, and undisciplined...she is still a Lunar Sage...that is why I chose her. It is said that when subjected to being near Lunar magic, the instinct for Unicorns to obtain their magic is lessened, even erased in some cases. Hopefully, with Moonfire nearby him, my son won't...-" Tulipia could say no more, not even willing to dwell on the thought of her foal learning the tainted magic, and thus being executed for it.

When the Black Knight began speaking of the information he had been able to obtain from Rubyn's former teacher, she could only sigh slightly. "...ah, Master Goodwin. He was an excellent stallion, and a good friend. His passing had definitely shaken Rubyn. Although, neither of you mentioned passing letters..." Her voice took on a steel-edge at the end, for she did not like secrets being kept from her, especially by those she held close in her council. However, when she heard of the Black Knight's offer...she paused, thinking hard on his proposition.

"...I...thank you, General Black Knight, but that will not be needed. You remember Silvertongue, correct? My former husband's best friend and personal Nightinggale? He will be taking charge of Rubyn's further instruction, as it was promised to him by the Emperor before his passing. However, if he proves incapable...I will accept your offer, Black Knight...but only then." She looked up at the moon, her eyes narrowing and her lips tightening. She spoke to herself quietly, so quietly that only herself could hear the words. "...one more hour, before my son becomes the Empire's shadow..."

[colour=#0000CD]Sub-Zero [/colour]with Rubyn, Lilith, and Nightinggale - Royal Garden, Ashen Gate

The cold bipedal stallion took no interest in the garden nor the music of the duo before him. He merely followed the Prince like a wolf turned guard dog. The mare, Rubyn's sister, seemed odd to Sub-Zero for some reason. Her words confused him both in intention and in her identification of him. How does both the Prince and the Princess know of him and his clan? These thoughts begin to distract him. The aura of this place feels off, like if his visit here is not a mere coincidence. Something must be ahoof and Sub-Zero may be player in it; not by choice but fate. Suddenly the stallion before him put a hoof on his sword, how amusing and yet confusing. Normally Sub-Zero would smirk slightly at the sight but the fact the the stallion took a threatening pose in the first place is odd. Are they not all allies? Isn't Sub-Zero a guest of the prince? All the cold assassin can do right now is make a short introduction. [colour=#0000CD]"I am Sub-Zero, Grandmaster of the Kori no Yurei, son of Frostmourne and last of my bloodline."[/colour]

-somewhere in Ashen Gate

Draco after awhile ran out of tears to cry and he just sat there in the corner of the alley in sadness as he soon got a chance to calm down he thought things and as he thought things his sadness turned to calm the calm to frustration and the frustration into anger. Why was it his fault that he had Dragon wings Why was he so horrible when his uncle has done much more horrible things! he hit his hoof to the ground in anger. he should be allowed to fly if he wanted to! its a basic right as a Pegasus to fly! why not he! he got up and spread his wings from under his cloak and looked up. he did not care who saw he was going to enjoy this midnight flight in the sky! he launched into the air and into the night.. his silhouette easily seen by anypony to look up!

Dusk stepped back into the alley and placed his looking glass back into his saddle bag, then took them up and placed them onto his back. Once the bags were in place, he walked out the opposite side of the alleyway. He needed a way into the palace, one that wasn’t overwhelmingly guarded, and that didn’t lead into a highly populated area. That was going to be hard to find, since it was the Imperial Palace, which was, on a whole, overwhelmingly guarded and highly populated. He was confident he could find a way though.

The other end of the alley let out into a smaller street, this one ending in a cul-de-sac. Dusk walked out into the street, heading towards the alley at the other side. He looked at the surrounding mansions as he moved. They were very large, most likely the homes of High Bloods. He snorted; Dusk didn’t like the blood, especially the High Blood. He was glad to enter the small, poorly lit alleyway, which cut his view of the mansions. He much preferred the alley to the Blood mansions; he would prefer a muddy hole to the Blood. He really didn’t like the Blood.

The street at the other end of the alley was much like the first one, however, it lead up to an entrance of the palace which only had two guards by it. It was a small entrance, most likely used to admit and release servants. It seemed like an ideal spot for Dusk to enter through. He checked the other end of the street, which was empty, and thus started walking towards the two ponies. They were dressed in imperial guard armor. They also had a sword belt and sword strapped to their backs. Each one stood as still as statues, neither looking at each other or at Dusk as he drew near. At least, it seemed that way. As he got closer, he saw that their eyes were tracking him from under their helms, but no other part of them indicated they saw him. When he was a yard and a half away from them he stopped. For several moments they just stood there, staring at him, then one of them spoke up.

“What is your business here? You are neither a servant nor a messenger, so what are you?” the one on his left said. He was slightly taller than his companion, and his shoulder knots showed that he was one rank above his fellow. Dusk put his gaze on the guard and simply stared at him, tilting his head to the side slightly. The guard stared back. After about a minute of staring the guard opened his mouth to speak again. At that point Dusk laughed lightly, letting his head tilt even more. The guard closed his mouth with a soft clack of teeth.

“He’s probably just some drunken pony, send him back out into the city.” His companion said. Dusk turned his head to look at the second guard. This one was almost identical safe his slightly shorter stature and slightly lower rank. Dusk gave him a crooked smile along with the tilt of his head. The guard gave a small quirk of his lips which might have been a smile and said, “Yes, hello there. I’m afraid I’m going to have to ask you to leave” in a rather polite voice. Dusk laughed lightly again. The guards smile got a little bigger when Dusk felt a hoof land on his shoulder.

“You heard him, leave.” The first guard said, as he started pushing Dusk towards the other end of the street. Dusk reached up and grabbed the guards hoof and with that, seized hold of the magic source. His horn started glowing with a dusty bronze aura beneath his hat. As soon as it did, electricity started flowing through his leg and into the guard, who gave a sudden jerk as hundreds of volts coursed through him. Dusk stepped to the side and the guard fell to the ground, faint tendrils of smoke rising from him. He turned to the second guard. The guard already had his sword out and was preparing to strike at Dusk. Being an imperial guard, he was well trained and didn’t spend any time worrying over his fellow guard. Dusk dodged to the side and the guard’s sword clanged against the ground. Dusk lunged at the guard before he could recover. He poured all the power he could into his attack, sending massive amounts of electricity into the guard. The guard was twitching and smoking when Dusk was done. He quickly stepped over the unconscious guards and through the palace doors. He also gave silent thanks that his hat covered his horn.

~Prince Rubyn, in the Royal Garden with Sub-Zero, Lilith, and Black Moon~

Lilith and her Nightinggale both displayed surprise upon hearing who the Prince's guest was. They shared a quick exchange of glances before returning back to the ponies in front of them. Lilith's smile was still on her face. "Oh, but you can't blame Black Moon for being protective of me...especially due to the Kori no Yurei's past actions. However, since it appears this 'assassin' has yet to draw blood...I guess we can be civil." Rubyn shook his head in exasperation at his elder sister's rudeness, keeping his eye on Black Moon. The Nightinggale still remained in a ready stance, his muscles no more relaxed than they normally are. Once again, the Prince peered at the dark band wrapped around the Nightinggale's head, but he quickly shrugged it off.

"...the ceremony is in an hour, Lilith. Mother asked me to find you and let you know. I trust you've already met with the Elders...? If not, that would be wise." His sister laughed lightly, as if it were the least of her worries. "Of course, of course. It's your big night after all, my little Emperor..." She used on of her hooves to ruffle his beaded mane, drawing a scowl but no other reaction. He was used to this. Stepping back to avoid the pegasus mare's reach, she huffed and looked away to the direction of the Garden's exit. "...we should be going now, Sub-Zero. Farewell, sister, Black Moon." The Nightinggale bowed, but still kept his cold violet eyes locked onto the Kori no Yurei grandmaster.

Rubyn began to trot away, his back turned on them. However, he remained aware of their movements...if he hadn't learned to be careful, he would never have lived past the age of ten. The bloody 'Great Game'...disgraceful. Something didn't feel right...as if some incredible danger was waiting for him. He couldn't tell where or when it will come, but he still felt that same cold feeling along his spine.

-------

~Van (Silverwing), in the sky above Ashen Gate~

The silver-plumed griffon drifted through the sky on silent, owl-like wings, his eyes searching the city below him with an icy-blue gaze. While the capital was the largest city and most populated in Coltara, it wasn't that which impressed the griffon warrior. Once upon a time, this entire place was a mountain range that had surrounded the Moon Tree. Now, those mountains no longer exist, having been ground down and flattened to match the plains that surrounded the near three thousand year-old city. Most of the notable structures had been made by Baraki stone-masons, the most skilled architecturists in the Empire. He lifted his head upon seeing a dark silhouette streak across the sky. He narrowed his eyes and set out in silent pursuit.

Flying above the mysterious shadow, he drifted lower and lower, making no sound as he got closer. The nearer he got, the more details he was able to pick out. The flying creature was equine in shape, obviously, and wasn't using any Liftdisk Qai'maga, so it must be a pegasus. However, upon further examination, the wings took on a more bat-like appearance. Van put together everything he had seen so far, and nearly lost his concentration on flying from the shock. A draconid?! Here, of all places...? What prank of Ventus' is this? I need to examine this creature a bit more... He kept a suitable distance from the draconid, watching him in wary, silent flight.

[colour=#0000CD]Sub-Zero[/colour] following Rubyn - Royal Garden ---> The Diamond Halls, The Ashen Gate

Sub-Zero follows Prince Rubyn, still confused by the preceeding conversations. However, he has said what needed to be said and he has no opinion about the situation, even if he did he wouldn't voice it. It was not his place nor of his interest. As he exits, his misty figure begins to look more and more "ghost like" as he distances himself from the Princess and her pet.

- in the sky's above Ashen Gate

Draco was having the time of his life the feeling of the cold air on his wings made him feel alive! he did a barrel roll with glee as he laughed [colour=#008000]"this is so much fun!"[/colour] he exclaimed to himself [colour=#008000]"be **** uncle and his cruel words!" [/colour]he said[colour=#008000] "i will fly free if i feel like it!"[/colour] he said as he did a loop in the air with a laugh! he soon was getting a bit winded from the air acrobatics and decided to set down on a roof to rest a moment.

Sweet Taffy exiting Diamond Halls ~ Royal Gardens

The time approaches. She thought. The mare bid her company a respectful goodbye and trotted off.

There was barely an hour left before the Princess's coronation, but before that she was suppose to receive a dead drop with updated instructions. The parcel would be hidden near the Royal Garden. Sweet Taffy cursed the idea of going there, but she understood the reasoning behind it's hiding place. The chances of her coming across one of the Royalty's Nightengale's increased with each step she took away from the mainstay of the festivities.

As expected guards roamed about everywhere, but her talents made it pretty easy to avoid any other pony on her way to the dead drop location.

The royal gardens was a place that Sweet Taffy quickly began to dislike. From the warmth, humidity, and flora of the scene she could tell that its goal was the emulation of some sort of rainforest. Critters scurried away from her and ducked into the trees and shrubbery. They where overcome with fear, not the sort of fear that an animal has for the unknown, that fear is seeped in a healthy dose of curiosity. No, what they felt was a dread match only by being faced with one's imminent demise. Most ponies didn't feel it when they were around the mare, but the sense of an animal were toned to such subtle things.

Sweet Taffy's aura exuded death. Her graceful stride, both flowing and mechanical, wasted no energy. Her vibrant eyes, both warm and welcoming and calculating and scanning, saw every detail in her surroundings. This was her work look.

She approach the drop point, and it was exactly how her contact had described it: A single large tree surrounded by a grove of smaller trees with relatively flat ground and several exotic forest plants and fungi. Had this visit been for something else, she would have found the area beautiful. Great mushrooms overtook large dead stumps, and carnivorous plants trapped insects and small amphibians. Sweet Taffy took in a breath, tasting the air around her. The circle of death was a beautiful thing.

She walked around the base of the largest tree until she came upon a saddle bag. Laying on her belly, she reached out and took it in her hooves. The package contained, among other things: her alternative clothing for when she changed back, the money needed to take a transport to anywhere in the empire, plus the appropriate paper work to cover any issues that may pop up for the mare.

She unfolded the small note and read it's contents, smiling all the while. She looked up at the false sky and tossed the saddle bag across her back. It was about time for her to prepare for the princes coronation.

~Prince Rubyn, Royal Garden»The Chamber of Ravens~

The young stallion was glad to get away from his sister and her pet, Black Moon. Among the Imperial Family, 'accidents' happened all the time for the benefit of others...but why was he still here? Surely, if anything, he would have been the first to die amongst his siblings...but that wasn't so. The Empress had six foals, three of which are now dead, but only one had died honorably...and that was his elder brother Topazin, who had died during the assassination of the last Emperor, their father. Those two deaths had scored lashes across his heart...for they had been the only ones who truly understood him. However, by their deaths, he became stronger, harder, and most of all, wiser. After a few more moments of silence, the Prince finally spoke. "Please forgive my sister and the Nightinggale for their rude behavior. As you may know, the Kori no Yurei and the Imperial Family have had problems in the past...so that set them on edge..."

The statement was serving more than just an apology, but also a probing for what Sub-Zero knew of that past event. He kept his eyes ahead, preparing a few more words to say. "...also, you have a few distinct features of a Hikarri, despite your two-legged stature. Black Moon had lost his family in the Hikarri war, so that could be another reason behind his actions earlier." Ironic, so it seemed to Rubyn, considering that from what he gathered, he was the mirror image of a Hiikarri. Wrap a cowl around his head and put him in their tundra war-clothes, and he could be mistaken for one of them. He shivered at the thought of appearing like one of the 'vicious' Hikarri from the war tales.

They walked for a few more minutes after exiting the garden, several servants and Nightinggales passing them with respectful bows or curtsies as they made their way through the elegantly crafted hallways. Tapestries and artwork were displayed on the walls, revealing glorious scenes of battles or wilderness, some containing the personages of famous Coltarans over the past three thousand years. They at last came upon a pair of large, circular silver doors that possessed dark raven wings engraved into the metal. "...Grandmaster, if you may, please head down the hall until you come across a gilded wooden door...ask for Silvertongue. He'll answer any questions you may have." He pressed the bottom of his right upper hoof against a small spike on the door's center, pricking the tender flesh and a trickle of blood descending onto it. A small flash of light occured and the silver doors began to part. Nodding his farewell to Sub-Zero, he went inside as the doors shut behind him, making a loud crash.

~Chainmail, Edge of the Imperial District~

Chainmail was happy to note that Lady Arial stopped asking questions after his response. She seemed like a nice mare, but as a Low Blood, he knew that she could make his life a living hell if he made the wrong move or said the wrong thing. That is, if she was a High Blood, that was still a question that weighed heavily on his mind, as much as he tried to ignore it. She every so often seemed to eye him strangely, as if maybe she was looking for suspicious behaviour, much like he was eyeing her actually. No, no, he was looking for evidence to fit a theory. He'd read enough books on the matter to know that's not how a soldier or guard is supposed to act. He should be looking for a theory to fit the evidence, and it'd be foolish to accuse a High Blood based on a gut feeling and the fact they're nice.

Chainmail always felt extra uneasy when around the palace, as if his every move was being scrutinised. Worst part is it probably was, guards were all over the place, and not the raw recruits and old colts that you'd find in the other parts of the city. The Imperial District guards had better armour, better weapons, and each had more experience than Chainmail ever would, and that was just the District Guard, the Palace Interior Guard were even more elite. If you then continued up the ladder, you'd reach speculative territory. Nopony even talked about the guards of the current Empress. Chainmail almost walked into a passing Rahmane, but caught himself just in time. He felt kind of sorry for the poor guys. Ponies were always talking about how it was necessary to keep them locked up, about the threats their powers gave them, but underneath it all it was just another form of injustice. Never hear about a Royal Rahmane.

Chainmail's outburst to cover his positively unpatriotic rhyme suddenly sank him in more trouble. Why would he ask a High Blood their business? He was constantly telling Straight Lace not to, then he went and did it. Silverwing bristled noticeably at the question before swooping down on him like an eagle. Chainmail quickly bowed down to his knee and apologised for his actions. His head remain bowed until Lady Arial stepped forward and started to speak. Her voice was kind as ever, and Chainmail slowly looked up to see her smile. Then he hears a clink of coins as a leather pouch is added to Chainmail's belt. Chainmail slowly stood up, speechless at her generosity, when she gave him a small peck on the cheek. All his doubts and fear faded away as he absent mindedly rubbed his cheek with a hoof. He then noticed she had turned away and had left while he'd been distracted. He didn't get to say his own goodbyes.

Chainmail wasn't comfortable with looking through a pouch of gold while he was out in the open. Even in the Imperial District there was the occasional cut-purse, though that paled in comparison to the eyes. A lowly recruit with a sizeable pouch of gold was sure to draw somepony's attention. He trotted around to an alley and looked at his spoils. That was a lot of money. There must have been a mistake! There was no way possible that she meant to give him that much! He had to give it back. He quickly left the alley when he heard the sound of metal against stone. Curious. He walked over to the source where he noticed two collapsed Imperial Guards, and an open door behind them. That was not good. Without thinking he trotted through the open doorway and into the Palace.

[colour=#0000CD]Sub-Zero [/colour]- Chamber of Ravens, Imperial Palace, The Ashen Gate

Sub-Zero trusts Prince Rubyn but he wonders why Rubyn suggested the cold assassin needed answers. What Sub-Zero is looking for is aid for the Kori no Yurei. Before he could say a word the Prince was off. He silently turns and proceeds into the chamber as the doors close. He stops but doesn't look back. Because of his training, Sub-Zero felt like he was in a trap. Regardless there is no turning back now. Perhaps his instincts may be wrong. He continues down the large hall until he comes to the door Rubyn mentioned and then enters. The mist shrouded stallion stands as silent as snow fall inside the strange room as again the door closes behind him. His cold eyes scan the room. [colour=#0000CD]"I seek Silvertounge."[/colour]

-[colour=#0000ff]Moonfire Starborn[/colour], Ashen Gate, The Moon Tree, Inner sanctum-

Moonfire awoke with a start as she heard a banging. It must have been time to get prepared for the prince's coronation. Grabbing her axe and trotting over to the door, she opened it to find a rather impatient Decimus outside tapping his paw on the wooden floorboards waitingly. [colour=#dda0dd]"The ceremony will be over by the time you get out of bed! Come, we need to go help with the preperations."[/colour] Moon rolled her eyes at him, closing and locking her door before following the veteran gardener closely. But strangely, instead of heading back out to the streets, the two descended further into the depths of the tree. Opening yet another door, Decimus proceeded to lead her into a small tunnel, only wide enough for one pony at a time. Moon found it hard to fit with her armour, but managed. [colour=#dda0dd]"This tunnel is mainly used as an escape route to get across between the Moon Tree and the palace, but it supplies a direct route there. We don't want your identity as a gardener to revealed to the general populace now that some may recognise you from earlier." [/colour]The fae nodded in assent, it made sense.

The two had soon enough made it to the inside of the palace, having to get out in a very undignified way- coming up out of a broom closet. Making their way forwards, they made their first stop at the kitchen. A mouth melting aroma surrounded the room, some of Coltara's best chefs and bakers had been hired for the event, nothing but the best for royalty. The feast even included a whole adolescent dragon whelp roast for the Baraki gathered at the occasion who ate meat, Moonfire being included. She was about to try a tiny bite, but Decimus caught her. [colour=#0000ff]"Sorry, instincts got me." [/colour]She said with a cheesy smile. Decimus rolled his eyes at her and walked out of the kitchen, dragging a very reluctant Moon with her. Next was the guard on duty around the ceremony. Each a stalwart soldier from the Hikkari War, drilled and trained to 'the best a soldier can be', which basicly meant mindless loyalty to the empire. They had already began patrolling the premesis for Astral's sake. Of course no matter how many guards were there,when things came down to it it was Moonfire and Decimus who would be the deciding matter if anything bad would happen to the royals gathered. But that was what got her nervous.

With half an hour to go, the throne room was a hive of activity. Servant rushed back and forth frantically, making sure everything sparkled, literally. Most objects in the area looked like a hall of mirrors right now. Decimus smiled, he hadn't seen the palace this good since the empress herself had been crowned. Moon's teacher took a full spin of the hall, before trotting over to Moon and placing his paw on her shoulder. [colour=#dda0dd]"I need make sure the rest of the preperations are ready. Wait here until the ceremony begins, ok?" [/colour]Moon nodded, replying in a nervous tone. [colour=#0000ff]"Yes sir. And Decimus," [/colour]She called to him as he began padding away. He looked back, raising his eyebrow. [colour=#0000ff]"What's he like? The prince I mean." [/colour]Decimus chuckled, taking a step backwards. [colour=#dda0dd]"You'll find out soon enough, you're his gardener now for Astral's sake." [/colour]Moon nodded, sighing and taking a seat among the crowd, waiting for the ceremony to begin.

~Prince Rubyn, within the Chamber of Ravens~

As the silvery doors closed behind him, he drew in a deep breath of the air within the massive quarters. The smell of incense hung on the air, carrying the scent of lavender and cinnamon; a bizarre combination, but the Prince liked it regardless. The walls were coated in dark blue paint, with various white stars scattered across them like the very foliage of the Moon Tree. Everything about this room was familiar to him, from the magically-lit crystal chandeliers on the ceiling to the ravens dancing among the tiles beneath his hooves, for this had been his since he was a foal. However, none of it drew his eyes but one particular object; a midnight-black suit of armor that lay at the far back of the chamber, set on display for him to see. It had seemed to always be in his mind, the armor...it was his birthright, his reward, his curse.

Rubyn crossed the room, passing by the furnished, gilded wooden furniture and elegantly-carved columns as he made his way toward the dark armor. Stepping up to it, he placed a hoof on it and examined it. The blackened metal shined from the room's light, despite not having been polished in four hundred years, the raven etched into the breastplate seeming to enwrap the entire piece. The leg guards had several different runes built into them, meant for strength and agility, but they were long since inactive and no longer held the magic they once possessed. The helmet was perhaps the most important piece of the armor, capable of wrapping around the skull and leaving the front of the face exposed, a large red jewel in the shape of a four-pointed star that symbolized the wearer's ascendancy to a place beyond mere equines...the position of Prince of Ravens.

Staring at the armor, memory of a history lecture appeared in his mind as he tried to remember it entirely. This very piece of armor had been handed down to each Prince of Ravens since the formation of the Empire, the last wearer being the dreaded Emperor Argentus, former Prince and most powerful False Lightbinder ever to have appeared in Coltara. Thinking about what that unicorn had done in that same armor made Rubyn shiver, but he knew that, one way or another, it was his duty and fate to wear it. Grimacing in determination, he began to strip the armor off the display, setting to work on suiting himself up. Moments later, he looked at himself in a mirror, the dark brilliance of the steel making glares on the glassy surface. It fit perfectly on him, as if it were made specifically on his size...another thing about it that frightened him. Was he doomed to the same fate as Argentus? No! That will not...cannot...happen! I am better than him! I do have a heart! The prince told himself vehemently, turning away from the mirror as he headed toward the door, his now-plated hooves clinking against the tiles beneath them.

Exiting the chamber, he lifted his head and gazed down the hallway, now empty due to the gathering for the ceremony. It was time. Time for his ascendancy, time for his legacy to be made. Tonight, he would shed his former self, and the true Prince of Ravens would be born. He will leave everything about his old life behind, and become an object of fear and worship in the Empire. With his coronation, he would be sent on his first duty to the fortress city of Coltan's Rest...to punish a general there who had disobeyed the Empress' express command. He trotted off toward the Diamond Hall, which would now be cleared of everyone but the Imperial Family and the Elders of each race.

Little did he know, however, how much his life would change with the end of the evening.

-------

~Silvertongue, within his quarters with Sub-Zero~

The grizzled stallion sat down at his desk, reading over reports of strange raids on the edges of the Empire and a few Nightchild arrests inside the capital. Normal paperwork, as always. However, tonight would be the crowning of the new Prince of Ravens, the ascendancy of the son of his former Emperor, Steelir. He was so wrapped up in his work that he didn't notice Sub-Zero's arrival until the stallion spoke. Silvertongue grimaced in spite of himself. ...my senses really are fading. Guess it must come with growing older. The Nightinggale thought to himself. Putting down his pen, he looked up to see the intruder of his quarters.

"Well, you found him. What may I do for you? Oh..." His eyes narrowed upon seeing the crest on Sub-Zero's armor. Sure, the fact that this stallion before him was bipedal was bizarre enough as it was, but that symbol...it took all of his attention. "...Kori no Yurei. I haven't seen any of you since one of your kind assassinated the previous Emperor, and my dearest friend...have you come to finish the job, assassin? If so, it'll have to wait until I have guaranteed my Prince's safety. I hope you don't mind that...if that isn't what you are here for, make it quick." Nothing he said had even the slightest inflection of emotion, his silver-coated face and brown eyes as blank as stone.

Sub-Zero - Silvertounge's Chambers, Imperial Palace, The Ashen Gate

The bipedal stallion stands in silent bewilderment. A Kori no Yurei took the life of the previous Emperor? This was not recorded in the clan's Codex. Sub-Zero was fairly familar with the history of his people but this was news to him. What in Coltara has been keeping secrets from him. Finally the cold assassin speaks. [colour=#0000CD]"Konichiwa, I am Grandmaster Sub-Zero. I am not here for your life but rather on advisement from your Prince. I seek aid from the Empire for my clan."[/colour] he speaks his purpose bluntly but cannot hold his curiosity in check. His cold icy blue eyes glow slightly before he speaks. [colour=#0000CD]"What is this you speak of my people taking your 'Emperor's' life?" [/colour] His voice is cold but filled with curiosity.

~Silvertongue, within his quarters with Sub-Zero~

The veteran Nightinggale was surprised to hear mention of the assassin knowing Prince Rubyn...and also that he was the 'grandmaster' of the Kori no Yurei. But...how can that be...if he didn't know of the assassination? It occured about ten years ago, and by the looks of this warrior, he was still rather young. Did he simply not know? It was possible. "...greetings. So the Prince sent you in here, I take it. Well, it will be considerably difficult to offer any help to your...clan...as of now, due to the past. But with Rubyn's coronation tonight, he'll have the power to make your whole clan of the High Blood if he so wished..." The cold stallion's bluntness was something to be expected, any warrior was similar in the way they handled themselves.

Upon hearing the grandmaster's curious question, Silvertongue gave a cynical grin. "...so you truly don't know? Very well, I'll inform you then. Ten years ago, the Emperor was returning from a project at Coltan's Rest, an excavation. I was with him at the time, as I was the Captain of his guard. However...things changed. We were attacked by a bizarre equine who wore black,blue, and whhite light armor, and bore the symbol of your clan. His skill with Ice elemental magic was extraordinary...encasing the entire guard in a dome of ice. He slaughtered my men one by one, offering no mercy to anyone...except me. He lifted my ruler, my friend, by the throat and said to me; 'Remember this day, Imperial. This is the day you taste your Emperor's blood.'...and as he spoke those words, he slitted Steelir's throat with an icicle, then drove the bloodied cold spear into my chest..." He opened his tunic a bit to reveal a circular scar that looked many years old.

"I was the only survivor...by mere luck, as it happened. My most vivid memory is the assassin's eyes...so cold and black...like a Wraith's from those ancient tales." The elder stallion shivered at the memory, and murmured an old saying about the monstrous, equine-like creatures. "The gaze of the Wraiths is death itself."

-------

~Princess Lilith, in the Diamond Halls next to the Crystal Throne~

The gorgeous mare stood there, orchestrating the servants and guards to prepare the ceremonial relics and decorations for her brother's coronation. Her mother, the Empress, had retreated due to urgent matters with the general, Black Knight. Besides, she wasn't needed here anyway. Six ancient creatures stood beneath the throne, one of each race; a Baraki, a Minotaur, a Changeling, a Griffon, a Pegasus, and an Earth Equine. Each was a respected elder of their Houses or societies, and also powerful Sages of the six primary elements. Lunar, Fire, Earth, Wind, Water, and Solar...with Rubyn being the one who represented Magic, the forbidden element. It was almost enough to make Lilith giggle with glee.

Black Moon stood quietly next to her, always her loyal servant and guard dog. He never left her side unless she commanded it. Trained to obey her since he was an orphaned foal, he had grown to adore and worship her...something she was quite fond of. One day...the whole Empire, no, all of the world will be the same way. Power and glory was hers for the taking, and only one obstacle stood in her way. Looking up, she saw the ceiling warp and twist until the chamber was completely dark except for the light of blue-fire torches. The Prince of Ravens was the Empire's guardian shadow...the hidden hoof of retribution of the Emperor or Empress. Each one was doomed to die a horrible death, so the scriptures she read spoke of...she hoped Rubyn's came sooner than expected.

One of the servants approached and knelt before her submissively, whispering quietly. "Great Princess, the preparations are made, and the Elders are ready. Word has reached me that the Prince will arrive momentarily, and that the rest of the Imperial Family, House High Seats, and important guests have been instructed to appear as well." Lilith nodded, shooing the equine away with a lazy gesture, not even caring to watch as the servant bowed and trotted away. It was almost time...tonight was going to be a big evening indeed.

-------

~Moonais (Arial), within the Imperial Palace~

She wandered the many corridors of the Palace quietly, managing to ellude the constant patrols of guards and servants. Moonais knew she was running out of time...soon, if she didn't make it, the one she'd been searching for twenty years for would be dead. Thinking about that made it all the more urgent to find the pony she sought. The blue jewel on her forehead glowed gently, indicating that a source of potential magic was nearby. Feeling the aura, she continued on, her pace increasing significantly. Faster...faster! The very world was at stake here! Her hooves made silent taps against the elegant tile floors beneath them, her orange-red mane flowing. Behind her as she ran. There was no time to lose.

[colour=#0000CD]"What?..."[/colour] Sub-Zero is shocked by the story that Silvertounge just conveyed. [colour=#0000CD]"H-how can this be? This was not recorded in our Codex! We had no true conflict with your Empire! We only stuck to the shadows. Imposters, it must have been!" [/colour]The cold assassin's thick skin was breached by the old stallions words releasing Sub-Zero's anger. In the Kori no Yurei, the deads of one or all are recorded so that their honor and wisdom may live on to teach those succeed them. Never once in his life has Sub-Zero ever come across this story and as Grandmaster he must be familiar with all if not most of his clan's history. Something was terribly wrong here. His eyes flash a brilliant cyan. The room begins to quickly cool because of his naturally powerful and passive Ice Sage abilities. He approaches the elder stallion in an intimidating manner. [colour=#0000CD]"Name... what... is... his... name?"[/colour] Sub-Zero demands angrily but with a hint of his usual bluntly cold demenor. Whoever conducted such deeds wanted to bring dishonor to his clan. Such a shameful and heinous crime against his clan's honor has only on punishment... death.

Dusk wandered deeper into the palace, staying to the servants’ corridors. He avoided other ponies as best he could, which was rather easy since it seemed all of the servants were located somewhere else. He occasionally passed doors, but he didn’t dare open them. He knew that if he was caught, he was dead. He was fairly certain that he could get to his goal and get out without being caught though. Despite all of his certainty, he was still lost within a few corridors. That did little to diminish his confidence though, so he continued to wander down corridors, getting ever deeper and deeper into the Palace.

After several minutes of walking, Dusk finally decided that simply walking and trusting to luck wasn’t getting him anywhere. From what he could tell of his surroundings, he was in a storage area, quite possibly a pantry since the last few doors he had passed had the distinct odder and sound of bustling kitchens. He was actually rather nervous, all it would take was one servant heading out for or returning with ingredients and he was caught. He stopped beside one door and leaned against the wall with a sigh. [colour=#996633]“I should have planned this better”[/colour] he said to himself. He tilted his head slightly to the side as he started thinking on what he should do. He didn’t get very long to think before he heard the sound of hooves coming his way. He jerked his head up and turned it to look down the hallway behind him. He didn’t see anything but he didn’t wait around. Without hesitation, or thought, he opened the door closest to him and slipped inside. He closed it as softly as possible and placed his ear against it. He didn’t let loose his breathe until the tapping of hooves had come and gone. [colour=#996633]“That was a close one”[/colour] he said to himself.

“Huh, what’s that?” a somewhat dusty voice said from further in the room. Dusk spun about, his cloak swirling with his movement. His eyes jerked about the room until he found the source of the voice. It was a rather old looking pony. He might have had a rather vibrant mane once, but it was now gray with age. The old pony was sitting amongst several sacks of flour, and he was wearing a well kept servant’s uniform. He was currently struggling to his hooves, squinting at Dusk as he lifted himself from his makeshift bedding. “Who are you? Have you come to get some flour for the kitchens?” he asked.

Dusk shifted nervously. The old pony didn’t seem to be any threat, but looks could be deceiving. [colour=#996633]“Um, err, no”,[/colour] he stammered[colour=#996633],” I was just… checking to make sure everything was… good… in here.” [/colour]He thought as quickly as he could while he blundered through the sentence. [colour=#996633]“And it would seem everything is. Um, what are you doing here, anyway?” [/colour]he asked.

[colour=#000000]“Me? Well it’s my job, I’m supposed to make sure that there is no unauthorized taking of flour”, [/colour]at that point he gave a loud snort, a somewhat startling sound[colour=#000000],”In truth, it’s just a nice way of saying ‘stay here old one, no need for you to get in the way’[/colour]. Ah well, it at least gives me plenty of time to catch up on my sleep” he finished with a rough laugh. Dusk gave a halfhearted laugh along with him, edging slightly towards the door.

[colour=#996633]“Well, I won’t stop you from your rest, I’d best get back to the, err, kitchens”[/colour] Dusk said, half turning and reaching his hoof toward the door. He stopped in mid-reach though. A thought had struck his brain, and he turned with a slight grin to look at the old servant again. “But, before I go, do you think you could give me directions?”

[colour=#000000]“What? Directions? Don’t they teach you new servants how to get around here anymore? Ah well, where you need to get to?”[/colour] he asked.

[colour=#996633] “To the quarters of the Prince of Ravens, I need to get some dinner to him.”[/colour]

[colour=#000000] “Well well, a rather important job, even if it is just his dinner. Come over here, I’ll tell you how to find the way”[/colour] he said. Dusk’s grin had become much wider as he stepped out of the store room, giving his thanks to the old servant pony as he gently closed the door behind himself.

~Chainmail, Imperial Palace Corridors~

Chainmail was carefully trailing the pony that had somehow taken out the Imperial District Guardsponies. His courage was constantly fleeting. Every time he had an opportunity to confront this possibly extremely dangerous pony, he would freeze up, and he'd almost get away. What was he, a lowly recruit in the EVA doing trying to confront somepony who had eliminated two extremely well trained warriors? Did he want to die? Crippling doubt in his own abilities was fighting tooth-and-nail to try and overcome the sense of duty that came with his actual job. He couldn't let this intruder ruin the Imperial festival. Sure he had no love for the Imperial family, but this was a sacred holiday and it was his duty to protect that. This intruder could potentially be a dangerous spy, or even an assassin!

He had his spear drawn and ready in case the pony turned around, but he had worked out a compromise. He couldn't tell the guard about an intruder unless he knew exactly what he looked like and where he was, so he had to keep following him, but he wouldn't confront him. Instead the second he ran into a guard he would tell them to apprehend him. They were sure to trust an EVA trooper, and the guards outside would be evidence enough. He inwardly applauded his resolution to the problem, although part of him was annoyed by his cowardice. If he took this guy down single hoofed then he would probably have enough goodwill to skip his EVA service... or get promoted. He didn't know if he could handle a promotion.

All this inward drama had kept him rather preoccupied and he suddenly realised with a start that the corridor was empty. The pony had gotten away! How was that possible?! Chainmail wheeled around frantically, searching left and right for any sign of the intruder. There was no way he could let him escape? But what could he do? The door behind him suddenly opened and he spun around to see the pony he had been tailing stood directly in front of him. Chainmail completely froze up. He tried to bark a warning, but his mouth just flopped open and closed soundlessly. Quaky hooves brought his spear up in front of him, and he finally got control of his tongue. [colour=#00ff00]"H-h-halt!"[/colour] he tried to bark threateningly.