Canterlot Voice 20 - Goodbye 2012!

Tenkan

What's up, Canterlot?

I hope everyone had a joyous holiday! :D

I was quite pleased to know that both Weesh and Oil Wells were going to join me in this week's Canterlot Voice. Two fine thinking fellows for finishing this year's final podcast.

Podcast Podcast Podcast!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I had to type that because some people, like me, prefer to use less words and more exclamation marks. :razz:

Audio Download

[colour=#000000]Show Notes[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Hosts[/colour]

• [colour=#000000]Tenkan[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Guests[/colour]

• [colour=#000000]Weesh[/colour]
  • [colour=#000000]Oil Wells[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Featured Artist[/colour]

[colour=#1155cc]Kudalyn[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Creative Threads[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Roleplay [/colour]

[colour=#000000]Interview Included[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Discussion[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Episode 8: Apple Family Reunion[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Shoutouts[/colour]

• [colour=#000000]Weesh to Starswirl the Bearded[/colour]
  • [colour=#000000]OilWells to Gerrard[/colour]

[colour=#000000]

[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Music Credit:[/colour]

[colour=#000000]

[/colour]

[colour=#000000][colour=#000000][colour=#000000][colour=#000000][colour=#000000][colour=#000000][colour=#000000][colour=#000000]Intro Song:[/colour][colour=#1155cc] ‘Pony Should Pony Pony’ by alllevelsatonce[/colour]

[colour=#000000]2nd Intro Song[/colour][colour=#000000]: ‘[/colour][colour=#1155cc]Epiphany’ by the Verdilac[/colour]

[colour=#000000][/colour][colour=#1155cc]Space Congos’ by Artax[/colour]

[colour=#000000][/colour][colour=#1155cc]Break or Be Broken’ by DannyMirage[/colour][/colour][/colour][/colour][/colour][/colour][/colour][/colour]

[colour=#000000][colour=#000000][colour=#000000][colour=#000000][colour=#000000][colour=#000000][colour=#000000][colour=#1155cc]’Structure’ by DannyMirage[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Outro Song:[/colour][colour=#000000] [/colour][colour=#1155cc]Winter Wrap Up Metalized’ by Bronyfied[/colour][/colour][/colour][/colour][/colour][/colour][/colour][/colour]

[colour=#000000]

[/colour]

[colour=#000000]I'd like to thank everyone who commented in last week's episode. You all surprised me when you said you enjoyed a two-person podcast. A bit of me wants to throw marshmallows at whoever said otherwise, now.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Anyways, I'd like to thank you all for making the podcast get this far. I'm personally grateful for each one of you giving your honest feedback and helping us make these memories. Twenty episodes is quite a milestone, and we couldn't have done it without you! Here's hoping for another twenty more coming 2013. :)[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Have a happy new year, Canterlot![/colour]

• Like 1

Decided to listen to this one mainly because Telephone Pictionary got a shout out. :D Thanks for that... but no name drop for yours truly? :blush:

Also, you were wrong about AJ's age. In the photo album about 5mins into the episode there are pictures showing AJ and co. at the previous Family reunion, where she looks as she does now. So that's at least her 3rd reunion making her about 16 years old.

But enough nitpicks! Good show guys!

• Like 2

Wait wait wait! Theory about the "100 moons thing"!

Because the Equestrian moon has the same gravitational effect on the tides as does the Earth moon, we can figure they must be identical or equal in their distance/mass ratio. However! The moon is very clearly much larger in the Equestrian sky, even without apparent distance (the moon appearing larger because other things seem smaller in the distance). Therefore, there are only two options. 1. The moon is larger, and the Earth smaller by comparison, or 2. The moon is much smaller, but closer to the Earth. The first option is plausible because the EQ moon shows no signs of parallax (spiralling around in the night sky over the course of a year), so we can assume that one side of Equestria always faces the moon, and one side of the Moon (the one with NMM's face) to always face the earth This is known as a double tidal lock, and causes for Hurricane Fluttershy to be plausible, because the oceans would always be in high tide in the area, and this it would be possible to swell it all up. However, when a moon enters double tidal lock with its parent, that's usually not good news, as they are both mutually pulling on each other's angular rotation, which is one of the main forces that keeps the earth spiralling around the sun. This means that in a few hundred thousand million years...

EQUESTRIA'S END IS NEIGH!!!

As for the second option, that is certainly possible, but that means that the moon would be much, much brighter than it is on earth (as it appears to be in the show), but also that moonlight would be slightly hazardous for your skin, as the sun is (the lack of atmosphere and the lustrousness of the lunar regolith allows very radioactive light to shine off of the moon). And thusly, Princess Luna would have come back looking like a bleached Half-life zombie!

So, I repeat:

Oh yeah, these two theories would also affect the lengths of the month, so each reunion may be closer or further apart than 8 years. That's also kind of important.

Doctor Who marathons dont blame me

Thanks for that... but no name drop for yours truly? :blush:

oops.

sorry.

Hey guys! Diego is awesome and the backbone of Telephone Dictionary.

Admit it ping, the entire purpose of your post was so that you could shout the above quoted line : )

Special thanks to Tenkan for editing out my rant. I sound almost human without it.

• Like 1

Admit it ping, the entire purpose of your post was so that you could shout the above quoted line : )

Special thanks to Tenkan for editing out my rant. I sound almost human without it.

Where did that last line come from?? Perhaps I haven't refreshed in a while.

And admittedly, it's also a bit of Swirlbait, because I just want to see Star scramble through his files trying to debunk me.

Also, don't watch Doctor Who and Dexter in the same night. You will think you are an unending well of undeniable genius, when really you are a blibbering sack of Scandinavian drivel.

Nice episode. :)

Happy to see Telephone Pictionary get a spotlight; that is a very fun game that I've enjoyed participating in ever round since the beginning. When Diego puts the next one up, I encourage all to participated.

Likewise, I'm glad to see Bellosh's blog get featured. It's definitely cool what he does with that. What he chose to feature was great too. Pathfinder is best OC pony. ;)

The interview was fun, but I would say most of the time more substantial answers are more interesting than this sort of lightning round deal. I have to agree with what Weesh said about the Celestia-Luna conflict. It always seems forced and artificial to me. Also, Celestia is best princess.

For the episode discussion, I'd generally agree with much of what was said. I wouldn't put too much weight on the "100 moons" line though. I think Granny Smith is just using an idiom here and just means it's been a long time, not that it's literally been 100 moons. Remember that we actually see the previous Apple Family reunion and its in the first episode, which at very most places it two years ago. Of course, trying to argue the ages of the ponies is, in my opinion, always going to be a misguided cause.

• Like 2

Anyway great podcast like always :) I got to start hanging about the other parts of this forum :D Moar art!!! It would be cool if you guys discussed the art of the MLP more ^.^ Great way to end the year :3

Thanks for the advise, Rainbolt! Have a happy new year. :D

Weesh. Aside from the time constraints, I did it to keep you alive! :lol:

Decided to listen to this one mainly because Telephone Pictionary got a shout out. :D Thanks for that... but no name drop for yours truly? :blush:

Also, you were wrong about AJ's age. In the photo album about 5mins into the episode there are pictures showing AJ and co. at the previous Family reunion, where she looks as she does now. So that's at least her 3rd reunion making her about 16 years old.

But enough nitpicks! Good show guys!

Bah, and sorry for not mentioning it, considering you started the whole thing from day one! I should've jotted that down in my show notes. : C

Nice episode. :)

Happy to see Telephone Pictionary get a spotlight; that is a very fun game that I've enjoyed participating in ever round since the beginning. When Diego puts the next one up, I encourage all to participated.

Likewise, I'm glad to see Bellosh's blog get featured. It's definitely cool what he does with that. What he chose to feature was great too. Pathfinder is best OC pony. ;)

The interview was fun, but I would say most of the time more substantial answers are more interesting than this sort of lightning round deal. I have to agree with what Weesh said about the Celestia-Luna conflict. It always seems forced and artificial to me. Also, Celestia is best princess.

For the episode discussion, I'd generally agree with much of what was said. I wouldn't put too much weight on the "100 moons" line though. I think Granny Smith is just using an idiom here and just means it's been a long time, not that it's literally been 100 moons. Remember that we actually see the previous Apple Family reunion and its in the first episode, which at very most places it two years ago. Of course, trying to argue the ages of the ponies is, in my opinion, always going to be a misguided cause.

I enjoyed the quick questions, but I agree. I believe doing the lightening round after more standard questions have been established. I did enjoy it nonetheless. :)

Thanks for your continuing feedback, Phil. We don't give you enough credit.

Great installment. Though I'd like to mention one thing about AJ's age... It wasn't stated that was the last Apple Family Reunion that she was seen as a foal in. It could have been two, three or four reunions ago... They were smart how they did that scene, they mixed up the order of the album. Remember AJ's picture was seen before the three legged race with Granny Smith and her favorite cousin as young mares. They made it so the ages would be ambiguous. We only know that AJ was a foal at one reunion and she apparently could eat like a "full grown stallion."

Also... Luna is best princess. And I always thought it was the purifying effect of the Elements of Harmony, and Celestia choosing to set aside the negative feelings she felt. She did feel remorseful, but it didn't break her down, the EoH changed her. When she got back she was still NMM. If the banishment worked, she would have come back as Luna.... right?

And thanks weeshy for the shoutout! :D

• Like 2

Insufficient data to extrapolate necessary information to make a decent argument.

Sufficed to say, I doubt the "end is neigh"

But everything else makes sense! If you were to take a photo of the Earth Moon every night when it reached its apex, from the exact same spot without changing direction, you'd notice the Moon appears to swirl around an invisible point for a bit. This doesn't seem to occur in Equestria, as it simply appears[1] in the same place, night after night. Keyword "appears", not move. This implies that it is normally only hidden by clouds and/or the Sun's rays, and thusly always apparent over Equestria, in one part of the planet. This means that it rotates around the Earth at the same speed the Earth rotates around itself, and is only visible to the half of the planet surrounding Equestria. AKA, double tidal lock. This is one of the key events that will lead to the eventual apocalypse on Earth, as the tides fail to exist, creatures in the "splash zone" either drown or dry out, and screwing up an entire food chain. Ergo, death. Equestria is rather similar to Earth's biosphere I then repeat:

THE END OF EQUESTRIA IS NEIGH!

[1]: The Moon only appeared to move among an axis when Discord was ruling, in which case it reversed its supposed orbit, and thus the whole concept of lunar orbit was a Discordian concept. Do not attempt to cite me on this.

• 3 weeks later...