Les Misérables

Tenkan

Hey, Canterlot!

I just came back from watching Les Misérables with my brothers, and I have to admit I almost, almost shed a tear...four times.

But didn't because teenagers were talking behind our seats and it kept disrupting my mood. :P

Warning: For those who haven't yet watched it, I don't suggest going through this thread since spoilers will be discussed.

It was a brilliant film.

I've never in my life sat through a musical, or a musical film, in this case. At first I was taken aback, because I thought the singing would end and they'd actually start talking normally, but little did I know the entire movie was going to be sung. But aside from that small bump of confusion, it was a joy just sitting through it all. A worthy film to experience in cinema, for sure.

Javert's my favorite character, I'd say. Any scene that had Russell Crowe in it had my full attention. His performance was great. :)

So, what did you guys think? A film to remember? Oscar worthy? Not into musicals? Were the previous versions better?

If not, would you like to see more films done in this style?

I thought it was good. Honestly, I like Russell Crowe, but I didn't really like his singing. Other than that one thing, I thought the film was great. I couldn't stop crying though. Really wish I had brought some tissues with me or something. :sniff:

• Like 1

It was absolutely amazing. It wasn't as good as Broadway, but I suppose that's kind of a harsh comparison. Russel Crowe was not the best singer, but he certainly acted the part excellently, and I certainly felt emotion during the film, so what more can I say?

It was awesome. That's what more I can say.

• Like 1

I just can't get over the South Park episode with Russell Crow enough to take him seriously when he sings. I'm a Les Mis fan, but I had to hold my breath to not laugh as some subconscious part of my brain kept singing the "Fighting 'Round the World" song.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I loved Les Mis and can't wait for it to come out on bluray. I think my biggest qualm was actually with Russel Crowe, though. I've always liked him as an actor and in regards to playing the part of Javert he was right on the money. His singing, however, didn't hold up - it was a little disappointing to hear an untrained voice singing alongside people who have very obviously been trained for this style of singing. He had the personality for the role but his voice just wasn't nearly as strong as I always want for Javert, especially when you hear people like Philip Quast in that role! Major applause to Anne Hathaway (Fantine), Eddie Redmayne (Marius), and Isabelle Allen (Young Cosette). They all had performances that really wowed me - especially Hathaway and Redmayne. They had me in tears. :C

I was also thoroughly impressed with the fact that Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter fit so well into their roles in the movie. Usually with those two actors I'll just see the actors and have a hard time getting into their characters because of type casting and all that nonsense. This time around, though, I really loved seeing them in the movie~

Two parts of the movie really stand out to me in terms of directing (stepping aside from the performers for now). During the last scene with Gavroche while he is collecting shells, adding the edited rendition of "Little People" really got my heart feeling for his character. It was a great reference to the Original London Cast's longer version of the song, and just...yeah. My heartstrings were pulled, because it just put me in the mindset of his character at that time and my feels were all over the place! Hahaha.

And finally, at the very end of the film, when they have the vision of the entire cast alive and standing in Paris was basically the best reference to a curtain call they could have had and it felt

like a musical.

I want to ask, though, what are you all thinking about the amount of close-ups in the film? I know exactly where I stand, but because I've heard a lot of criticism towards the choice for a lot of close-ups, I'm curious to know what you all think. c:

Having seen the Broadway musical and watched the past Les Miserables movie which wasn't a musical (and frankly was meh) this one was very true to the play. The singing was great, the plot was timeless, and the costumes and scenery were great.

I loved Les Mis and can't wait for it to come out on bluray. I think my biggest qualm was actually with Russel Crowe, though. I've always liked him as an actor and in regards to playing the part of Javert he was right on the money. His singing, however, didn't hold up

Heh, I think the key to enjoying Crowe was to be appalled by his first song, which was terrible, and then to be pleasantly surprised by his above average voice for the rest of the movie.

Heh, I think the key to enjoying Crowe was to be appalled by his first song, which was terrible, and then to be pleasantly surprised by his above average voice for the rest of the movie.

Bahaha, maybe I'll do that from now on~

You mean his above average voice from that first song? Because the whole movie he was flat or off key. The first song was just particularly appalling. He was talk-singing.

The rest of the cast wasn't perfect either, but they were loads better than Crowe...In fact... perhaps Crowe actually saved the movie... his flat singing balanced out the sharp singing of almost everyone else... Huh... never thought of it like that before.

BTW, yes I did enjoy it. Seeing it on Broadway was still best, but this was one of the best film adaptations I have seen IMHO.

Bahaha, maybe I'll do that from now on~

Thoughts during the first song: "I have made a terrible mistake"

Thoughts during the crescendo of "Stars": "Nailed it"

Seeing it on Broadway was still best, but this was one of the best film adaptations I have seen IMHO.

It is still the number one most important musical for me to see on broadway, and has been in the top three for years. I have had to put up with just the soundtrack for so long that I didn't realize how magical it would be to see it unfold.

• 4 months later...