(Canterlot) Spellbound Beginnings [Sign-Up in OOC Thread]

Bellosh

9QqAB3q.png?2

“D’awwww,” Moondancer amusingly cooed as Miss Mouse scurried away from Pocket Change; “You should make that cutie your pet, Pocket. It’d certainly fit in your, tehehehe, pocket after all.” Contorting from her suppressed laughter, the young mare couldn’t help but find her own corny joke. Why does she do this sort of silly thing? Because she’s awesome, of course!

Turning back to Dr. Gears, Moondancer more than happily answered his inquiries; Well Doc, I do volunteer as a part-time tutor over at the magic school here and there, so I could help ya’ out a bit. However, I’ve never actually taught anypony how to teleport before. I would refer you to my old magic school counselor Immie, but she charges money to tutor non-students... and I don’t really think she’ll come here tonight like I was hoping.....” Now appearing a tad downcast, Moondancer had hoped in her heart of hearts that just maybe Counselor Ingrid Marie would show up. That possibility however seemed less likely with each passing minute.

Before she could get too moody though, the moon-flanked unicorn perked up and finished her answer; “Anyway, I’m glad I made the cut to enter that program. And I suppose I can use teleportation better than my old mentor for that matter. So sure, I’ll do what I can to tutor you myself... but don’t blame me if you get queasy all the time.....”

Finishing off with a chuckle, Moondancer patiently listened in as everypony talked about why they were there. Some wanted to help others, others needed help, and a couple attended for what amounted to networking opportunities. The young mare saw no problem with that last reason; now that it came to it, perhaps she should use this opportunity to see what magic career held the most potential.

Once Dr. Lexis finished his rather grandiose way of describing his reasons for being here, Moondancer followed suit with a simpler reply; “I have to confess; I’m only here because the flyer said there’d be free punch and pie, and we poor struggling college students need all the free food that we can get, don’t we?” Pausing a moment to see if anyone laughed at her joke, the white-coated unicorn then pressed onwards; “Jokes aside... at first I came because I simply meet other magic users outside the university. However, some of your responses make me think that I could maybe use this guild thingy as a way to discover what to do with my magic skills. There’s no time like the present to think about your future career... right?"

Abbot smiled at Licorice’s mannerisms. She was the same age as him, give or take a couple years but much more bubbly. [colour=#add8e6]“I’ll teach you all I can Ms. Black.”[/colour] He responded warmly.

There was quite the variety here. Everyone had come for different reasons hoping for the best and meeting new ponies, some seemed to already know each other even. After listening to the other ponies reasons for being here he took his turn.

[colour=#add8e6]“I couldn’t agree more Ms. Moondancer, it’s never too early to set goals. In fact that’s what all of you have come here for to seek out your goal and achieve it.” He spoke with little emotion, “It great to see ponies working to achieve their desires… I suppose that could be my reason for being here. In all honesty the only thing that brought me to Canterlot was chance. I saw the flyer and decided to act on it. My reason for being here is that I have nowhere else to be. I’m looking for a goal and I hope to find one here.” [/colour]He paused for a moment lost in his imagination, [colour=#add8e6]“And to answer your question Ms. Black; no, I don’t miss Itaily. There’s not much there for me to miss.”[/colour]

NivialIcePrincessBanner_zps2cbfebc0.png?t=1359134447

Nivial couldn't believe this! Se had been completely ignored by almost everypony! Was her existence so insignificant that nopony could even acknowledge her. She could feel tears welling up in her eyes, why was she so darn sensitive!? Nivial took a deep breath. [colour=#6600ff]"Alright, focus Nivi, this is why you're starting this guild in the first place, to overcome your flaws."[/colour] Nivial wiped the tears from her eyes and walked through the center of the mass of gathered ponies, bumping some of them in he process. She hoped this made her seem tough and outstanding, despite her really wanting to grovel for forgiveness at their hooves.

She felt as if all eyes were on her for some reason. a hot sensation over taking her as she began to sweat from her own fears, but nonetheless she continued. Nivial spotted nearby wooden crate; perfect. She wrapped her hooves around it, dragging it ever so slowly into the middle of the warehouse where the group of ponies was situated. Her physical weakness clearly showed as she inhaled heavily, catching her breath before climbing on the crate and standing tall, making eye contact with all everypony she could. [colour=#6633ff]"Everypony!"[/colour] Nivial yelled out as loud as her naturally raspy voice would allow. [colour=#6633ff]"I'd like to thank you all for coming. My name is, Nivial!"[/colour]

post-4257-0-98714800-1358220320_thumb.jp

[colour=#008080]"Heehee!" [/colour]Licorice chuckled, watching as the scene of Pocket and Miss Mouse play out in front of her. She listened with interest to his recent adventuring story, smiling and nodding when appropriate. [colour=#008080]"Well, her lands sound pretty exciting if I may say so myself."[/colour] She gave a quick wink. [colour=#008080]"I've never been there myself, but I have been to Unyasi. It's a beautimous place, really!"[/colour] [colour=#008080]The R.E.A search must have been a real bummer..[/colour]

Spirit's words made since to the young pony, even if she thought it was all a bit crazy. [colour=#008080]"I see.. You're right, I suppose that it would be frighting to be alone in there. I know that I would much rather be with somepony who I knew could protect me, anyway."[/colour]

[colour=#008080]"Awesome possum, Abbot!"[/colour] She was eager to learn! Licorice was surprised when he said that he was here just because he had nowhere else TO be, but didn't open her muzzle about it.

Her attention immediately shifted upon hearing the new voice in the room, Licorice gave a quick wave in the elevated pony's direction. [colour=#008080]"Well hey, Nivial! You must be the one who runs the guild?"[/colour] She gave a warm grin, leaving her bangled hoof dangling out in the same place that she moved as she spoke.

[colour=#0000ff]Razor[/colour]

Both Fire and Spirit said that they had reached the point in their magical practices that they wouldn't hurt anyone with their magic. Though Fire also said that she wouldn't hurt anyone else. "[colour=#0000ff]Well that is great to hear! However Miss Fire, I also worry about you hurting yourself![/colour]" Razor joked. "[colour=#0000ff]However as I said, I was just being a bit facetious, perhaps needlessly so. You two seem to be old enough to control your magic well.[/colour]" Razor wasn't really that worried, but still, accidents do happen, and he just hoped no one would be grievously injured by a mishap.

[colour=#999999]"Beyond that, I meant it as I said that I seek to lead us all into the legends of tomorrow. The age of the great unicorn wizards and their guilds and associations is long past, but that doesn't mean true greatness can't be aspired to or achieved if the right minds expend the right effort toward the right goals. In short, I seek two things: help expanding my collection and to see us all become something worthwhile,"[/colour]

Razor after concluding his reply to everyone, he noticed that Mr Lexis wasn't very pleased and went onto say a rather grandiose introduction. One that revealed his pompous nature, not that Razor was much better. Most other ponies seemed receptive and nice enough. He just didn't want to be bored. He looked over in the direction of Grey. "[colour=#0000ff]Well sir, you must be the leader then! You talk of leading us into being the legends of tomorrow after all! And clearly you have all the accolades. I was just getting things started so as not to have awkward silence. So please... Lead away if you so desire. Though I'm not sure if being legends of tomorrow is the overall goal of everyone, surely it isn't mine, entirely at least. And I'm not even sure if anyone, not even the best of ponies from Celestia's School or the University can compare to Star Swirl the Bearded. But feel free to try as you so seem to intend to![/colour]" Razor cynically snapped back at the older stallion. Razor had issues with being told what to do, and he seemed to be intent on "guiding" all those younger than himself into his supposed idea of "greatness."

After getting that out of his system, he turned his gaze to Moondancer. "[colour=#0000ff]My apologies for that. I do have my reasons for that outburst that I'd much rather not get into here.[/colour]" Razor started before replying to the young mare's response to his query. "[colour=#0000ff]If you feel more comfortable having your teacher teach me, that is perfectly fine, and money isn't a huge problem either! If you can help as well that would be fantastic though![/colour]"

Moondancer made a joke about the free pie and punch being her reason for attending. Having done medical school and residency, he appreciated that joke and let out a chuckle.

[colour=#6633FF]"Everypony!"[/colour][colour=#282828] Nivial yelled out as loud as her naturally raspy voice would allow. [/colour][colour=#6633FF]"I'd like to thank you all for coming. My name is, Nivial!"[/colour]

Razor looked over at the young filly. Surely she wasn't the one whom called this meeting. She didn't seem the type. However from her words and her demeanor in what she said, it seemed she was.

"[colour=#0000ff]Not to be rude miss, but you honestly don't seem the type to do something like this. Perhaps a club in a school, but not an open guild. I'd have sworn that Grey Lexis over there was the one who called it, and merely chose Canterlot due to it being the epicenter of magical learning.[/colour]" Razor wasn't one to beat around the bush. Though he was cautious about those whom he let close, he wasn't shy about letting people know what he thinks, even if he said it sarcastically.

• Like 1

Fire Heart gave an awkward look at Razor's response. Often times Fire was concerned with how others would be affected by her magic, especially making sure they weren't afraid or hurt. But few have ever asked her if she got hurt.

[colour=#FF0000]"Oh my fire magic doesn't hurt me. You see, it kind of naturally forms a wreath of flames around me. It feels kind of warm around me, like a warm blanket."[/colour]

Meanwhile Heart Healer was listening to the other ponies about why they joined. Each had their own reasons from wanting to learn more about magic to getting their name out, to even staying for the snacks. She was surprised by an older pony named Grey Lexis's introduction which was very grandiose.

[colour=#800080]"Well, Mr. Lexus, it seems that you have traveled around much and have much knowledge."[/colour]

Then suddenly there was a controversy between Mr. Lexis regarding who should lead the meeting. To make things even more chaotic, a third pony entered in and announced that she was the leader.

[colour=#800080]"Um... excuse me, but who is leading the meeting exactly?"[/colour]

Pocket Change politely nodded his head as Gray Lexis spoke, and added as he finished, "Oh yes, while some literary critics might scoff at the books themselves, I believe I have yet to meet a person out in my field that had not been inspired by the series as a youth. It's just a bit of a wake up call when new students in my field finally realize how different the world Daring Do inhabits compared to their own. We tend to spend more time in libraries than in underground ruins, and we worry less about Ahuizotl and his feline army and more so on getting paper cuts or being stuck with a partner who skipped his or hers morning bath. I've also been to a few sites where the coordinators outright forbid the wearing of pith helmets." He listened to the elder unicorn as he went on about his past and career, and could not help but be impressed. While Pocket did attend the university at Canterlot, he was as far away from the 'Advanced Magic Theory' classes as one could get. And it was only recently that he was able to go beyond his cantrips and intermediate spells, but he knew in his heart he would never be able to grasp the powers unicorns like Moondancer or Twilight Sparkle were able to master.

He smiled briefly as Moondancer spoke about his little mouse friend, and while the unicorn really wanted to roll his eyes up at such a silly joke, he decided it would be unwise to upset a girl who probably knew a few spells that could shrink him down into something that would fit into her pocket. As he did with the former professor, he could not hide his look of both impressment and surprise when she mentioned she was just a college student. He knew she was young, and it was rather common for mares to use glamor cantrips to enhance their appearance, but he never suspected she was that young, and yet she already mastered teleportation. He was starting to feel very small and insignificant compared to these master sorcerers.

Thankfully for Pocket, the next few speakers were closer to his level and did not make him feel so terribly, terribly small. He glanced over at the strange earth pony who had called himself 'Abbot Alembic'. He had earlier referred to himself as a traveling sales-pony, but there was a slight nagging sensation in the back of the unicorn's head. Could this be the very same earth pony his sister's best friend had traveled with during their adventures in Itaily? From the style of clothing that he wore, to his lack of mane which showed off some rather impressive tattoo work. He would have to speak to this 'Abbot' later when things settled down a bit.

Pocket started to feel himself lost in thought, only to be quickly woken up from such a state by both the very loud and rather late introduction by a nervous Nivial and the strange physical sensation of having a very small cracker nailing him between the eyes. As he rubbed his forehead he noticed a rather angry Miss Mouse who was shouting at him in her little mousy language. Apparently she had been startled by the young mare's shout and had promptly spit her cracker out. Thankfully the stallion was able to retrieve her cracker and hoof it over to the grateful rodent, who decided to eat her snack in the safe quarters of Pocket's saddlebag. Not being a big fan of getting soggy half-eaten biscuits hurled at his face, the young pony wanted to be upset with Nivial, and had considered saying something, but as he glanced towards the mare, he could not help but feel sorry for the girl. He noticed what he believed to be tears forming near her eyes, along with an assortment of flop-sweat and common-pony-sweat*. He wanted to get up from his incredibly uncomfortable chair and comfort the poor creature. A friendly pat on the back probably would be rather condescending, and a hug might be a little too intimate for two who barely know each other. As he desperately tried to come up with a proper sign of friendship that did not seem either too demeaning or inappropriate when Licorice spoke up.

He wanted to go on into slight details about his travels in the north and how he was planning on traveling to Unyasi with a team lead by a 'Zecora', but one thing needed to be addressed first. "No offense Miss.", he nodded at Nivial, "But why would you think this young mare here was the one who is running this very new guild of ours? I'm not saying there's anything wrong about her.", he quickly added, "But maybe the guild-master is just late, or maybe she is a shape shifter of sorts.", He quickly peeked into his saddlebags wondering if the little mouse that had been scampering about inside was a powerful wizard or even a power Alicorn in disguise. He groaned, "Oh yeck.", as he noticed a small pile of mouse-pellets she left for him, which were quickly removed via a 'clean' cantrip. He glanced back up at the skittish mare, "I usually don't go a week without something surprising happening, so, if I may ask you miss, are you the guild-master?", he looked directly at the pony and waited to hear her answer.

* There's a difference!

"Oh yes, while some literary critics might scoff at the books themselves, I believe I have yet to meet a person out in my field that had not been inspired by the series as a youth. It's just a bit of a wake up call when new students in my field finally realize how different the world Daring Do inhabits compared to their own. We tend to spend more time in libraries than in underground ruins, and we worry less about Ahuizotl and his feline army and more so on getting paper cuts or being stuck with a partner who skipped his or hers morning bath. I've also been to a few sites where the coordinators outright forbid the wearing of pith helmets."

[colour=#cccccc]Gray laughed. This colt seemed to be a bit too pragmatic, but to possess overall the right spirit. He gave a nod.[/colour]

[colour=#999999]"Hehe. Sounds like you're not picking your adventures carefully! This world is too rife with excitement and wonder to confine yourself to the more mundane tasks. This world of ours can exceed even what you'll find in fiction in terms of its wonders if you only let it! You only need venture outward and experience it for yourself!"[/colour][colour=#cccccc] he declared boldly, a smile on his face as he did.[/colour]

"[colour=#0000FF]Well sir, you must be the leader then! You talk of leading us into being the legends of tomorrow after all! And clearly you have all the accolades. I was just getting things started so as not to have awkward silence. So please... Lead away if you so desire. Though I'm not sure if being legends of tomorrow is the overall goal of everyone, surely it isn't mine, entirely at least. And I'm not even sure if anyone, not even the best of ponies from Celestia's School or the University can compare to Star Swirl the Bearded. But feel free to try as you so seem to intend to![/colour]"

[colour=#cccccc]The next stallion to reply to him, Gray had far less stock in though. He scowled at the unseemly and presumptuous comments of the defeatist upstart doctor. This wouldn't do at all.[/colour]

[colour=#999999]"Didn't your parents ever teach you to respect you elders, boy?"[/colour] [colour=#cccccc]he said through a huff.[/colour] [colour=#999999]"You may assume that that snappy, upstart attitude of yours will impress the mares, but truth be told all it does it make you look like a foal."[/colour]

[colour=#999999]"As for Starswirl, he was but a foal once, just as any of us were! What separates a legend from a simple stallion? What is this gulf that you find to be so impassable between us and him?"[/colour] [colour=#cccccc]Gray snorted and shook his head.[/colour] [colour=#999999]"Knowledge and great deeds are the key to a legend. Ponies these days may be too weak or afraid... too content to hold themselves back and let Celestia raise the sun all on her own, but that does not mean greatness is not there for those of us bold enough to grasp for it!"[/colour]

[colour=#800080]"Well, Mr. Lexus, it seems that you have traveled around much and have much knowledge."[/colour]

[colour=#999999]"Indeed, Miss Healer,"[/colour] [colour=#cccccc]he replied to this mare Heart Healer as she spoke, giving a nod. [/colour][colour=#999999]"It is great to find at least one here who respects that,"[/colour] [colour=#cccccc]he added, casting a snide glance at Razor.[/colour]

[colour=#6633FF]"Everypony! [/colour][colour=#6633FF]I'd like to thank you all for coming. My name is, Nivial!"[/colour]

[colour=#cccccc]Gray was somewhat surprised and amused to see a new pony step forward and say these words. The words indicated that this mare was the one who had formed the guild. It was an odd fit. The mare seemed relatively meek and not very much like a leader at all. She was an unexpected fit. Gray tended to appreciate the unexpected.[/colour]

[colour=#999999]"Ah, so finally we have the one who has gathered us all here today,"[/colour] [colour=#cccccc]Gray said, nodding to the mare approvingly.[/colour] [colour=#999999]"It's a step few would think to take. You must have a bold heart, Miss Nivial. Brightness usually shines on ponies like you."[/colour]

[colour=#cccccc]As Gray conversed with the others, Spirit stayed fairly quiet and mostly just looked around at the others. She didn't speak not because she felt out of place or uncomfortable, but more only because she didn't see anything that needed to be said by her. [/colour]

9QqAB3q.png?2

Moondancer was glad to hear that Dr. Gears liked that little joke of hers, proving once more that his sense of humor was simply awesome. The young mare also enjoyed seeing Pocket Change bond with the adorable Miss Mouse; she thought the two of them would sure to become great companions. And even though things got a tad bit testy between Dr. Gears and Dr. Lexis, everything for the most part was running quite civilly.

Then without warning, a raspy voice toke control of the conversation. Moondancer looked at Nivial, a light-gray unicorn mare who seemed to have been the one to organize this whole get-together. Granted Nivial didn’t look or sound the part of a guild master at all, but nopony ever thanked everyone for attending unless they acted as the hostess. Some of the attendees seemed to be quite skeptical of Nivial, but Dr. Lexis aimed to congratulate the mare for her bravery. As for Moondancer... she simply saw another pony that needed a warm welcome.

“Hey there girly!” the moon-flanked unicorn happily shouted out as she got up from her seat to wrap a foreleg around Nivial; “You’re amazing for setting up this whole thing tonight. Don’t worry about forgetting the snacks; I would’ve dropped by here anyway-”

Suddenly, the door opened loudly to reveal the arrival of a new tired-looking mare; a beige middle-aged unicorn with a gray outfit and tie.....

4cG4J1x.png

“Sorry I’m late everypony,” the latecomer explained; “I had things to do back at the-”

“IMMIE! You actually made it-”

“Another time Moondancer, mmkay?” gently scolded Immie, better known as Ingrid Marie; “Anywho, I’m the magic counselor over at Celestia’s School, and I couldn’t get here on time because a conference between me and somepony’s parents ran late. Honestly, it gets really frustrating dealing with them sometimes...” Not wishing to rant more about her long day at the office, Ingrid took her seat along with most of the others as her stomach growled; “Now then, who here has the pie? I'm really hungry, and I haven’t had anything to eat since lunch.....”

• 2 weeks later...

Abbot was never one for extended conversation; now listening, he could do that all day. The conversation between the ponies was entertaining enough, especially the back and forth arguing between Gray and Razor. They had been debating over who was the leader, which as of now it didn’t even look like there was a group let alone a leader with all their arguing.

Then in walked a pale gray coated mare. He watched as she tried to get the others attention with no success. He was tempted to help her but decided against as not wanting to be drag into the argument. After hopping up on her makeshift podium and addressing everyone a bit louder she introduced herself. Nivial look like she was about to burst into tears, which would have probably gotten everyone’s attention just as well, and her raspy voice made her sound like she had just finished doing so.

Before Nivial had a chance to respond to the others’ questions yet another mare walked in. This one looked to be older and in not a very good mood. He heard the growl of her stomach as she asked for food.

[colour=#afeeee]“I don’t have pie but I do have food and drink if you or anyone else is interested,”[/colour] He pulled from his saddle bag what appeared to be a box of golden brown pastries that were somehow still giving a slight steam and a rack holding twelve bottles of a clear bubbling liquid, [colour=#afeeee]“If you don’t mind trying one of my experiments.”[/colour]

NivialIcePrincessBanner_zps2cbfebc0.png?t=1359134447

[colour=#008080]"Well hey, Nivial! You must be the one who runs the guild?"[/colour] She gave a warm grin, leaving her bangled hoof dangling out in the same place that she moved as she spoke. Licorice was the first to acknowledge Nivial's presence. [colour=#6633FF]"Y-yes, ma'am."[/colour] Nivial said politely to the Earth pony. [colour=#6633FF]"I'm sorry to keep everypony waiting."[/colour] Nivial's eyes gazed over the ponies staring back at her, maybe making herself known in such a manner wasn't exactly the best way to get their attention. She took a deep breath, thinking, [colour=#6633FF]"To late to go back now, I suppose."[/colour] She opened her mouth to speak, but was interrupted by the voice of a stallion.

[colour=#6666FF]"Not to be rude miss, but you honestly don't seem the type to do something like this. Perhaps a club in a school, but not an open guild. I'd have sworn that Grey Lexis over there was the one who called it, and merely chose Canterlot due to it being the epicenter of magical learning."[/colour]

Nivial reeled back a bit on the crate she stood on, slowly sitting down and looking away from Razor's gazing eyes, his words leaving a bit of a sour taste in her mouth. Did she really not look the part of a guild master, or even up to the task of calling all thee ponies together? She squeaked out a few words directed at Razor. "N-no. I'm the one who called you all here. I forgot the punch and pie, but..." Nivial's eyes scanned the stone ground below. She really couldn't understand why it was so easy to discourage her.

[colour=#999999]"Ah, so finally we have the one who has gathered us all here today," [/colour]Gray said, nodding to the mare approvingly.[colour=#999999]"It's a step few would think to take. You must have a bold heart, Miss Nivial. Brightness usually shines on ponies like you."[/colour]

Nivial's eyes shot over to Gray Lexis, a few tears in the corners of her eyes.

[colour=#CC0033]“Hey there girly!”[/colour][colour=#282828] the moon-flanked unicorn happily shouted out as she got up from her seat to wrap a foreleg around Nivial; [/colour][colour=#cc0033]“You’re amazing for setting up this whole thing tonight. Don’t worry about forgetting the snacks; I would've dropped by here anyway-”[/colour]

Nivial's eye's widened as Moondancer draped her forehoof around her, wiping her eyes. [colour=#6633FF]"Yeah, I'm the..I'm the one who called you all her. Thank you all for coming."[/colour] It looks like there were ponies who thought she was capable of such a thing despite her gentle appearance. To somepony else this might have seemed like a silly reason to start crying, but to Nivial this was a step in the right direction to becoming a stronger mare. She gave a smile, looking around the room at all the different faces. [colour=#6633FF]"Alright, everypony. Let's get started-" [/colour][colour=#282828]Suddenly, the door opened loudly to reveal the arrival of a new tired-looking mare; a beige middle-aged unicorn with a gray outfit and tie. She conversed with Moondancer a bit then quickly asked about the pie as her stomach grumbled. [/colour][colour=#008080]“Now then, who here has the pie? I'm really hungry, and I haven’t had anything to eat since lunch.....” [/colour][colour=#282828]Nivial gave a quick jolt. [/colour][colour=#6633FF]"Oh...I um...hello. My name is Nivial, I'm the one who put up the flyers about the guild. I...I sort of forgot the pie..."[/colour]

Fire Heart responded to Razor's worry quite adeptly to put him at ease.

[colour=#FF0000]"Oh my fire magic doesn't hurt me. You see, it kind of naturally forms a wreath of flames around me. It feels kind of warm around me, like a warm blanket."[/colour]

"[colour=#0000ff]That is fine to hear! I've never actually heard it described like that. Rather interesting.[/colour]" Razor replied, in a calm manner. He really didn't see a quip in sight of those words. He was more relieved that he wouldn't have to worry about anyone getting hurt, or so it seemed.

The older stallion seemed to take offense to Razor's words. This didn't really bother him in the slightest though, he was always rather forward and blunt. He could be sarcastic, but Razor really wasn't one to mince words.

[colour=#999999]"Didn't your parents ever teach you to respect you elders, boy?"[/colour][colour=#282828] [/colour][colour=#CCCCCC]he said through a huff.[/colour][colour=#282828] [/colour][colour=#999999]"You may assume that that snappy, upstart attitude of yours will impress the mares, but truth be told all it does it make you look like a foal."[/colour]

[colour=#999999]"As for Starswirl, he was but a foal once, just as any of us were! What separates a legend from a simple stallion? What is this gulf that you find to be so impassable between us and him?"[/colour][colour=#282828] [/colour][colour=#CCCCCC]Gray snorted and shook his head.[/colour][colour=#282828] [/colour][colour=#999999]"Knowledge and great deeds are the key to a legend. Ponies these days may be too weak or afraid... too content to hold themselves back and let Celestia raise the sun all on her own, but that does not mean greatness is not there for those of us bold enough to grasp for it!"[/colour]

Razor smiled at the older stallion's uproar. "[colour=#0000ff]'Respect my elders?'[/colour]" Razor repeated with an inflection in his voice. "[colour=#0000ff]Hm, yes... I do recall hearing that when I was but a colt in school.[/colour]" Razor started with a playful sense jest. "[colour=#0000ff]But on the matter of my parents, no, they never did teach me that. They, inadvertently, taught me something completely different. Indeed, they taught me that nopony is instantly deserving of respect and should never be given blindly, but rather respect is to be earned by those deserving.[/colour]" Razor knew Grey wouldn't like the joking sense he had, nor would he appreciate that retort much. Razor didn't want a fight, but he also wanted his way of thinking to be known.

"[colour=#0000ff]And you seem to have misunderstood my meaning. Star Swirl did likely start at our level. However, legends, my friend, are often exaggerated for the sake of making them legendary, performing feats not actually possible. No one can truly know if all the spells he reportedly wrote he was able to actually perform. I can agree that knowledge is a vital part of growth, but these "great deeds" you speak of, you seem to have a grandiose concept of it. A great deed can be as simple as helping your fellow pony in their time of need. Perhaps I have a simpler sense of your supposed "greatness" and I have a radically different concept of being "legendary." It is nothing major though. Just different thoughts on the same matter. We are speaking only in opinions of course, and this is mine.[/colour]" Razor didn't feel like joking further with the easily excited old coot. Well traveled? Yes. Knowledgeable? Highly likely. Crazy beyond all measure? Almost certain, at least just a little. It was almost definite that these words would careen the two into a senseless argument. Razor was already bored with this dialogue. If it continued he'd probably want to end it in some way. This was an argument of opinion, not fact, which could never be won.

A beige middle-aged looking pony then entered.

“IMMIE! You actually made it-” Moondancer exclaimed catching the attention of Razor.

"[colour=#0000ff]Immie? The teacher you spoke of Moondancer?[/colour]" Razor said to Moondancer, turning to Miss Ingrid Marie. "[colour=#0000ff]This young filly speaks very highly of you. She actually referred you to me as one who might help me with some spells. It is a pleasure to formally meet you. I'm Dr. Razor Gears, medical researcher at Manehattan hospital. I'll go ahead and assume that "Immie" isn't your proper name miss.[/colour]" Razor said with a smile. He had already gotten into one argument with one older than he, he'd rather not make a habit of it. However, he usually got along with teachers... for the most part... Perhaps it was his insatiable thirst for learning, or rather furthering his own knowledge.

Abbot spoke up about food and drink of some sort, and of being an experiment. Razor chuckled. "[colour=#0000ff]Be an experiment you say? How intriguing! I'll give it a go if you tell me what sort of experiment and allow me to at least have basic scientific look at what I'm about to ingest. Though, I may wait to observe the reactions of others first before actually trying them myself! I'll even help you record the observations Abbot![/colour]" Razor said with a laugh.

Razor looked over at Nival who was shrinking back at his words. "[colour=#0000ff]Please, don't get me wrong young filly. Just because you don't seem the type to me, does not mean you are incapable. As Grey[/colour] ["[colour=#0000ff]the old coot[/colour]" he muttered under his breath as if he was clearing his throat] [colour=#0000ff]over there stated, it is quite admirable for you to take such action.[/colour]" Razor tried to encourage the filly. "[colour=#0000ff]And please don't worry about the pie, I'm sure we can go out and get some later, if we are in need.[/colour]"

• Like 1

"[colour=#0000ff]That is fine to hear! I've never actually heard it described like that. Rather interesting.[/colour]"

[colour=#ff0000]"Oh, well that's the best way I can describe it to other ponies so they don't get freaked out," [/colour]Fire said with a little smile.

The older filly then saw that other familiar faces appeared.

[colour=#ff0000]Oh hi Miss Marie. Nice to see you again. And Moon, I guess I didn't see you among the others. Sorry about that. How are you doing?"[/colour]

Meanwhile Heart Healer nodded at Razor's response while the new pony tried to explain that she was the leader of the group.

[colour=#800080]"Ah so you organized this meeting. Well it's nice that you did so since now we can meet. And I wouldn't worry about the pie though as there looks like other food is here." [/colour]

"Hehe. Sounds like you're not picking your adventures carefully! This world is too rife with excitement and wonder to confine yourself to the more mundane tasks. This world of ours can exceed even what you'll find in fiction in terms of its wonders if you only let it! You only need venture outward and experience it for yourself!" he declared boldly, a smile on his face as he did.[/bg]

"Right you are!", the pony was loud enough to alert his small mousy companion who had been resting in one of the cleaner pockets in his saddlebags. She sprung from the bag and scurried over to him, where she spent a few moments squawking something fierce in her own language while shaking a tiny paw towards his direction. "Well, at least in terms of our 'world'. I like to believe adventures find you, not the other way around.", he glanced down at his fuzzy companion, "You're not going to get much sleep here little mouse.". The unicorn frowned slightly as 'Razor Gears' spoke to the elder pony. While he long believed respect was something that should be earned, and not just handed out like menus from a fast-food restaurant, the wise unicorn had already gained the younger stallion's respect just by opening his mouth. This would be the pony Pocket would probably learn the most from. And while spellcasters like Moondancer were probably very near this sage's skill-level, he knew very well he would simply be too distracted by the pulchritudinous pony's beauty to be able to concentrate on new spells while in her presence.

"How about the first order of business.", he raised his voice slightly, "We should see about sending somepony out to pick up a pizza? I know for a fact that there's a decent pizza joint just up the road from here. They serve the really greasy kind that might as well be cardboard lightly covered with tomato paste, cheese and those little hay-bacon strips we all probably like so much. We could get a few of those and a couple bottles of pop. Does that sound about right?". He glanced only momentarily at Abbot's collection of scary liquids and nearly gagged. "W-we'll just need to either draw straws, or maybe a pony could simply volunteer to go and pick up the pizzas?", he turned his attention to Nivial and waited for her approval.

post-4257-0-98714800-1358220320_thumb.jp

Licorice listened quietly as quite a few ponies made comments about Nivial appearing unleader-like. Licorice studied the wide eyed girl on the box. [colour=#008080]She's incredible..[/colour] It was obvious to Licorice that Nivial was feeling unsettled. She even looked to be on the verge of tears! [colour=#008080]She's petrified, yet has the fortitude to not to retreat. That's courage if I've ever seen it.[/colour] Licorice gave the girl a reassuring grin as she said that they would soon get started.

Abbot had offered the group some food, for the low, low price of trying one of his experiments! Razor offered to be a test subject, but said that he would like to know what it would do first and possible see it tested on somepony else. [colour=#008080]"What kind of experiment would it be if you already knew what was going to happen?" [/colour]Licorice thought aloud without even meaning to. She eyed the strange, bubbling liquid in Abbot's vile. [colour=#008080]"I'll do it!!"[/colour] Licorice said excitedly, eyeing the strange, bubbling liquid in Abbot's vile. [colour=#008080]"I'll only be on this planet once, so I gotta live a little! Besides, what's the worst that can happen?"[/colour]

"Right you are! Well, at least in terms of our 'world'. I like to believe adventures find you, not the other way around."

[colour=#cccccc]Gray gave a warm chuckle at the insightful words of the stallion adventurer. [/colour][colour=#999999]"Aye, that is indeed how it often may be in this world, boy,"[/colour] [colour=#cccccc]he said with a nod.[/colour] [colour=#999999]"Though by the same token it helps if we keep our eyes open. A pony who isn't looking to be found by adventure, a pony who doesn't aspire, that pony will rarely be the one who is found."[/colour]

"[colour=#0000FF]'Respect my elders?'[/colour] [colour=#0000FF]Hm, yes... I do recall hearing that when I was but a colt in school. [/colour][colour=#0000FF]But on the matter of my parents, no, they never did teach me that. They, inadvertently, taught me something completely different. Indeed, they taught me that nopony is instantly deserving of respect and should never be given blindly, but rather respect is to be earned by those deserving.[/colour]"

[colour=#cccccc]At these words, Gray just gave a disapproving groan and a mumbled sarcastic response.[/colour] [colour=#999999]"And oh how very proud your parents must be to have a son like you,"[/colour] [colour=#cccccc]he quipped under his breath. He didn't have the patience for this sort of brat. He had nothing he needed to prove to anypony, especially not some upstart doctor.[/colour]

"[colour=#0000FF]And you seem to have misunderstood my meaning. Star Swirl did likely start at our level. However, legends, my friend, are often exaggerated for the sake of making them legendary, performing feats not actually possible. No one can truly know if all the spells he reportedly wrote he was able to actually perform. I can agree that knowledge is a vital part of growth, but these "great deeds" you speak of, you seem to have a grandiose concept of it. A great deed can be as simple as helping your fellow pony in their time of need. Perhaps I have a simpler sense of your supposed "greatness" and I have a radically different concept of being "legendary." It is nothing major though. Just different thoughts on the same matter. We are speaking only in opinions of course, and this is mine.[/colour]"

[colour=#cccccc]The stallion scoffed loudly at the lecture her received.[/colour] [colour=#999999]"Pfft! That's the problem with youngsters these days, far too quick to dismiss the things that seem to be beyond them as pure hyperbole! You doubt the legends of Starswirl? There was a stallion who had in his time weaved spells which made time and reality his to conduct. Even if exaggerations do occur, greatness is as real now as it was then. The youth of Equestria are just willing to settle for less, because there's no reason for them to aspire beyond what they have in front of them!"[/colour] [colour=#cccccc]Gray declared loudly and with emphasis.[/colour]

[colour=#008080]“Sorry I’m late everypony, [/colour][colour=#008080]I had things to do back at the-”[/colour]

[colour=#CC0033]“IMMIE! You actually made it-”[/colour]

[colour=#008080]“Another time Moondancer, mmkay? [/colour][colour=#008080]Anywho, I’m the magic counselor over at Celestia’s School, and I couldn’t get here on time because a conference between me and somepony’s parents ran late. Honestly, it gets really frustrating dealing with them sometimes...[/colour][colour=#008080]Now then, who here has the pie? I'm really hungry, and I haven’t had anything to eat since lunch.....”[/colour]

[colour=#cccccc]It was then that a new pony arrived suddenly. Spirit perked up noticeably at the sight of her.[/colour] [colour=#ffffff]"Miss Marie...."[/colour] [colour=#cccccc]she said as she stared at the familiar mare.[/colour] [colour=#ffffff]"I'm really happy your here too,"[/colour][colour=#cccccc] she added. She didn't sound particularly happy, but Spirit was not a filly who was so good at expressing very much emotion. The ever so faint smile at the corner of her mouth was proof enough that she was quite overjoyed to be seeing yet another friend from her previous trip to Canterlot again.[/colour]

[colour=#cccccc]At the sight of this new mare and Spirit's reaction to her, Gray was kind of surprised. Spirit had told her much about her day in Canterlot and that she had met friends, but she storytelling was far from the child's forte. Ponies like this Fire Heart and Moondancer were the sort of friends he'd have expected the filly to make, but an adult mare like this Miss Marie was something else entirely. [/colour]

[colour=#999999]"So you are Miss Marie then? How curious,"[/colour] [colour=#cccccc]Gray said, nodding at the mare.[/colour] [colour=#999999]"I am Gray Lexis, this child's caretaker. She told me much of her time spent exploring this city not so long ago, but it comes as something of a surprise to find that she has befriended none other than the magic counselor of the most prestigious of all private schools for unicorns in Equestria." [/colour][colour=#cccccc]He gave a full laugh and shook his head.[/colour] [colour=#999999]"I'd be most curious to hear your assessment of this quite remarkable young filly and her abilities at some point."[/colour]

[colour=#cccccc]The conversation then turned to Nivial and the fact that evidently she had failed to keep the promise of punch and pie stated on the flyers. Pocket Change suggested sending someone to pick up some pizzas. Gray nodded. [/colour][colour=#999999]"This sounds like a fine idea,"[/colour] [colour=#cccccc]he said. [/colour][colour=#999999]"I'm sure Spirit would be delighted to retrieve some food for her. Perhaps a friend or two could accompany her."[/colour] [colour=#cccccc]He looked toward the filly.[/colour] [colour=#999999]"How does that sound?"[/colour]

[colour=#cccccc]Spirit gave a simple, quiet nod affirming it was fine.[/colour]
  • Like 1

4cG4J1x.png

Ingrid Marie grimaced as one of the ponies, a light tan earth pony of all people, offered her a strange sort of mystery steaming pastry substance and bubbling liquid in lieu of pie and punch. So, not only was there no pie to be had for the hungry educator, but apparently earth ponies were accepted into this magic guild too; a guild started up by some nervous wreck of a young mare no less. Ingrid wasn’t so sure what to make of earth pony members; each type of pony obviously possessed natural skills in a particular type of magic use, but unicorns were typically regarded by society at large as the magically-inclined race.

Then again though, just because earth ponies couldn’t manipulate the aether at will didn’t mean they had no capability in fields like alchemy and et cetera. Right now though, Counselor Marie opted to reject the chance of being a lab rat in a shady experiment. “Errr,” she nervously gulped; “Thank you for the offer, but I think I’ll pass on it, mmkay.” Maybe if she waited a few minutes, her hunger pangs would die down naturally.

Fortunately, Miss Marie’s spirits lifted as another bright young unicorn introduced himself as Dr. Razor Gears, a medical researcher. A small grin formed on Ingrid’s muzzle as it became apparent that her old student Moondancer had already sung the counselor’s praises tonight. “I’m afraid Miss Dancer never learned how to address me properly,” she merrily chuckled; “My full name is Ingrid Marie, and it’s a pleasure to meet you Dr. Gears. Depending on what type of magic you want to learn, yes I will gladly be able to tutor you in my spare time.”

As she finished with Razor Gears, the magic counselor saw two other familiar faces emerge; the fillies Fire Heart and Spirit Flame. Even though Miss Flame was her usual subdued self as ever, seeing the two girls hanging out with each other again delighted Ingrid even further. “I’m glad to see the both of you here, fillies,” the middle-aged unicorn addressed them as her grin widened further; “I never expected that you’d be here tonight Miss Flame, since you live all the way in Fillydelphia. How have you been since we’ve met last?”

Ms. Marie’s eyes widened as another more elderly stallion greeted her and revealed himself as the Mr. Gray Lexis that Miss Spirit frequently spoke of; her guardian. Ingrid had mixed feelings about the gentlecolt before her now; it was plain to the mare that Mr. Lexis provided his charge with much care and love, but she couldn’t help shake the feeling that he was also responsible for some of Spirit’s eccentricities; things like not knowing what music and concerts were. Telling adults however how to raise their children was not something Ingrid felt she had any right to do however, so she’d let that drop.

Instead, Ingrid Marie blushed and nodded as Mr. Lexis asserted her place of employment as the most prestigious of all exclusive magic schools in Equestria. “It’s a pleasure to meet you too Mr. Lexis,” she warmly replied, extending her hoof towards Gray gesturing for a hoofshake request; “I haven’t had much of a chance to see Miss Flame’s abilities in action, but from what little I’ve seen... I think she would actually have made quite a fine student at Celestia’s School.” Already, Ingrid's stomach rumblings grew less and less pronounced.

When Gray Lexus proposed to have Spirit and a couple of friends to go on a pizza run, Moondancer swiftly saw her chance to interject: “I’ll definitely go with you Spirit, and I’m sure Fire would too!” Since those two pyrokinetic girls got along so well, the moon-flanked mare saw no harm and foul in essentially putting Fire Heart on the spot. Turning back to the timid guild founder, Dancer next asked; “Maybe you’d like to join us too Nivial? I’d love to get to know you better.” Moondancer was very much sincere in her offer, as making friends was one of the many things that the white unicorn lived for.....

• Like 1

Ever since he began his magic training Midnight had dreamed of visiting the magical capital of Equestria. He dreamed of mastering the most advanced spells with the greatest magicians. He hoped his magic would improve enough to make the dream real but here he was struggling to cast a dual spell with his master.

[colour=orangered]“MIDNIGHT CONCENTRATE,” [/colour]Flameheart yelled out.[colour=maroon] “Sorry sir,” [/colour] Midnight replied refocusing on the task at hand. [colour=orangered] “I don’t need your apologies I need you to focus,” [/colour] he said stomping his hoof [colour=orangered] “now try to match your power with mine.” [/colour] [colour=maroon]“Yes sir,” [/colour] he answered increasing his power to the spell. [colour=orangered] “Good good, WAIT THAT’S TOO MUCH,” [/colour] his master yelled but his warning came too late as the spell exploded knocking the pair back. [colour=maroon]“Oh no,”[/colour] was all Midnight could utter as he knew what would come next.

[colour=orangered]“Midnight Star”[/colour] his master called out sternly. [colour=maroon]“Yes sir,”[/colour] Midnight responded quickly composing himself. [colour=orangered] “Midnight this was our fourth attempt and again your mind was elsewhere.” [/colour]Midnight sighed staring at the ground disappointed in his performance. [colour=orangered] “We’re done for today we’ll pick up tomorrow after you’ve had some time to clear your head.” [/colour][colour=maroon]“Yes sir,”[/colour] Midnight replied and complying with his his master’s wishes made his way out. Though he felt like he hadn’t earned it, he had the day off so this was his chance to explore.

Walking around it didn’t take long for one of the fliers to catch his eye. So there was a new magic guild starting up in Canterlot. Midnight wouldn’t dare miss out on this chance or the free refreshments. He made his way over to the warehouse only stopping to ask for the occasional direction or two. Finally there he could hear voices behind the door and hesitated to go in. There were bound to be some great magicians and he still was some novice. Taking a deep breath and gathering his courage he entered the warehouse. [colour=maroon] “Hello everypony, I’m Midnight Star and I really hope this is the meeting place for guild.” [/colour]

Several of the ponies seemed to be uncomfortable with trying the food. Abbot wasn’t entirely surprised, he had given the offer several times before and always the majority was untrusting. Though two of the ponies where willing to try it, Licorice Black and Razor Gears, on the condition that he could see somepony else eat it first for Razor.

[colour=#add8e6]“Well that’s very kind of you,”[/colour] Abbot pulled out a clipboard with a piece of paper on it and a pen, [colour=#add8e6]“if you'd like to help it would be much appreciated.”[/colour] He gave the clipboard and pen to Razor and pulled out one of the bottles and a pastery. [colour=#add8e6]“Before we start I’ll explain exactly what these are and what we’re experimenting on. Now these have been tested several times so there aren’t going to be any adverse reaction, in fact save one instance these haven’t shown any adverse reactions.” [/colour]He said the last part with a hint of embarrassment. [colour=#add8e6]“This bottle contains what is basically soda but with a slight alteration to make it’s carbonation last much longer. What we’ll be testing is the actual flavour. You see, because I’ve tried to make a large variety of flavours I’ve had trouble figuring out how to achieve the desired flavour consistently. Each bottle has a numerical label on it and has different ingredients in it to give a different taste.”[/colour] He picked up the bottle and opened it releasing a hiss as the air rushed out.

[colour=#add8e6]“For instance this one is…”[/colour] he began to drink, [colour=#add8e6]“Aaahh, watermelon.”[/colour] He placed the bottle down and continued. [colour=#add8e6]“All I’ll need you to do is write down the flavour in the right column. The pastries I have are just glazed sweet-bread cakes filled with strawberry jelly with an edible ingredient that radiates heat until digested. Keeping the treat warm and fresh until eaten, this one doesn’t need any testing it’s just so we have something tasty to eat.”[/colour] He hoofed a drink and pastry to both Licorice and Razor. [colour=#add8e6]“Now that that’s done, feel free to have as many as you want.” [/colour]He bit into to his sweet-bread cake and started eating.

• 2 weeks later...

Licorice smiled a smile of great ease. [colour=#008080]"Piece of cake! Thanks, Abbs. I was worried it was gonna make my flank glow or something silly like that, but this sounds delicious!" [/colour]The young mare listened carefully as Abbot explained what exactly he was hoping to find with the experiment. Licorice could feel his embarrassment when he admitted that there had once been a side effect. [colour=#008080]"It's okay, when I was first learning I accidentally made a friend pass out after drinking mine. I felt sooooo bad!! I've come a long way since though, thank goodness!!"[/colour] She wanted to reassure him that it's all part of the learning process. After all, if you never make mistakes, how can you get any better?

[colour=#008080]"That's really a cool idea, modifying food and drink like that."[/colour] Licorice accepted the pastry and the soda sample. She first sampled the first bottle hoofed to her. [colour=#008080]"That tastes like AWESOME!!"[/colour] She giggled. [colour=#008080]"..and by awesome, I mean black cherry. The enhanced carbonation really does make a difference. It's a very full, fizzy black cherry flavour. Write that down Razor"[/colour] She bit into the warm pastry, pure genius warming her taste buds. [colour=#008080]"I'm impressed, Abbot! If you don't mind my asking, what was it that happened that one time?"[/colour] Licorice wasn't worried, just curious, and always down for a good story.

said excitedly, eyeing the strange, bubbling liquid in Abbot's vile. "I'll only be on this planet once, so I gotta live a little! Besides, what's the worst that can happen?"

"Well, some of us generally prefer to stay nice and alive on this planet for as long as possible.", The unicorn glanced back at Abbot's assortment of questionable bottles and shook his head, "As for the worst, I could probably think of a few. Hair loss, blindness, infertility, loss of motor skills, the constant need to use the 'little pony's room' and of course the always dreaded 'Willies'. Nopony wants to get the 'willies'! I generally prefer to acquire my beverages from either the store or the local tavern. My cousin back in Ponyville tried to make apple cider and I really need to stress the 'tried'. I sampled just an itty bitty sip and was knocked off my hooves. I believe she currently uses that recipe as an 'paint thinner'.", Pocket Change cringed as he remembered the first and last time he volunteered to be an 'taste tester'. "Besides, it could be anything and it might do just about anything..Might turn you into a monster, make you invisible or even a zombie. Could even be a love potion, which I wouldn't even need as there's a staggeringly amount of lovely ladies here tonight.", he added with a wink and an eyebrow waggle.

The stallion did not want to get involved with the little debate between Gray Lexis and Razor Gears, but could not help but show his annoyance in how the younger pony treated the elder spellcaster. Hopefully the more worldly wizard will give the young pup and teach him some manners like a proper sorcerer. Maybe turn him into a newt. But there were far more important things to discuss at the moment. PIZZA!

"If you girls are going to pick up some pies at the 'Grease Pit', could you please get me a medium with olives, hay-bacon strips, onions, mushrooms, alfalfa sprouts, artichoke hearts, avocado, extra hay-bacon strips, cherry tomatoes, extra cheese, aubergine, fenugreek and maybe a side order of hay-bacon strips. Ooh!", the pony nearly bounced out of his chair, "And some cheesy-garlic-bread. Got all of that?", he was looking directly at Moondancer as he spoke.

[colour=#CCCCCC]The stallion scoffed loudly at the lecture her received.[/colour][colour=#282828] [/colour][colour=#999999]"Pfft! That's the problem with youngsters these days, far too quick to dismiss the things that seem to be beyond them as pure hyperbole! You doubt the legends of Starswirl? There was a stallion who had in his time weaved spells which made time and reality his to conduct. Even if exaggerations do occur, greatness is as real now as it was then. The youth of Equestria are just willing to settle for less, because there's no reason for them to aspire beyond what they have in front of them!"[/colour][colour=#282828] [/colour][colour=#CCCCCC]Gray declared loudly and with emphasis.[/colour]

Razor shook his head. "[colour=#0000ff]I'm sorry, but this is where this interesting line of discourse must come to an end. I can see that we do not see eye to eye on this matter as it were, and we have greatly varying ideas of "greatness". It is a simple matter really. Yes greatness is still the same back then as it is today, but not all greatness must be noticed by all, or so I feel. However there will be no convincing you of that, this much is clear to me.[/colour]" Razor was trying to be as polite as he could be to the dense older egotistical stallion who seemed to revel in his own experiences and his supposed greatness. Words without proof mean little to the young doctor. The doctor has stacks of journals and medical related documents that show what his greatness is, and how he has impacted the world in a positive way, but he had never even heard of Grey Lexis. What's more is that Razor tries to keep his ego in check.

Miss Marie spoke to Razor with a slight smile on her face. Clearly pleased by the words of praise that had been spoken in her absence. [colour=#008080]“I’m afraid Miss Dancer never learned how to address me properly,”[/colour][colour=#282828] she merrily chuckled; [/colour][colour=#008080]“My full name is Ingrid Marie, and it’s a pleasure to meet you Dr. Gears. Depending on what type of magic you want to learn, yes I will gladly be able to tutor you in my spare time.”[/colour]

"[colour=#0000ff]Well no harm has come of it Miss Marie.[/colour]" Razor spoke with a smile. "[colour=#0000ff]At least I was able to learn your proper name.[/colour]" Razor let out a light chuckle. Even though he had had issues with Grey Lexis, he didn't let that stifle him, he's had more obstinate patients before. "[colour=#0000ff]That would be great if you could help me. I'm mostly concerned with teleportation. No matter how I try it always seems to blow up in my face. Okay, well that was only twice, but after two trips to the emergency room, I quickly learned that it wasn't within my ability to learn. At least on my own...[/colour]" Razor said as he forced a smile. Thinking about his failures in magic, though that was the only one he'd admit to, since it had medical documentation, which constantly reminds him, was not pleasant for him in the slightest.

At this point another new pony entered the warehouse. This one was a dark red colt. Razor turned and gave a nod in acknowledgement, but Abbot had the good doctor's attention at this juncture.

[colour=#ADD8E6]“Well that’s very kind of you.”[/colour]

Razor was suddenly handed a clip board with a grid with the numbers of bottles on it.

[colour=#ADD8E6]“if you'd like to help it would be much appreciated.”[/colour][colour=#ADD8E6]Before we start I’ll explain exactly what these are and what we’re experimenting on. Now these have been tested several times so there aren’t going to be any adverse reaction, in fact save one instance these haven’t shown any adverse reactions.” [/colour][colour=#ADD8E6]“This bottle contains what is basically soda but with a slight alteration to make it’s carbonation last much longer. What we’ll be testing is the actual flavour. You see, because I’ve tried to make a large variety of flavours I’ve had trouble figuring out how to achieve the desired flavour consistently. Each bottle has a numerical label on it and has different ingredients in it to give a different taste.”[/colour]

[colour=#ADD8E6]“For instance this one is…[/colour][colour=#ADD8E6]Aaahh, watermelon.[/colour][colour=#ADD8E6]All I’ll need you to do is write down the flavour in the right column. The pastries I have are just glazed sweet-bread cakes filled with strawberry jelly with an edible ingredient that radiates heat until digested. Keeping the treat warm and fresh until eaten, this one doesn’t need any testing it’s just so we have something tasty to eat. [/colour][colour=#ADD8E6]Now that that’s done, feel free to have as many as you want.” [/colour]

Razor was in a bit of awe by the earth pony's fervor for the scientific arts. Razor levitated the pen given to him and wrote down the flavour next to the number that Abbot just drank. "[colour=#0000ff]Watermelon, got it[/colour]." Razor after he finished making the notes. "[colour=#0000ff]Interesting concoction you have there Abbot, I'll perhaps try a bit. Though I have to say, while I'm intrigued by the confectioneries, the idea of a contained and extended exothermic reaction is rather hard for me to swallow.[/colour]" Razor chuckled at himself, he hadn't made a pun since he was a colt, though he was unsure if anypony would pick up on it. As he handed back the pastry to Abbot.

Razor took a bottle but before he could drink it the young Licorice drank their bottle and said [colour=#008080]"That tastes like AWESOME!!"[/colour][colour=#282828] She giggled. [/colour][colour=#008080]"..and by awesome, I mean black cherry. The enhanced carbonation really does make a difference. It's a very full, fizzy black cherry flavour. Write that down Razor"[/colour]

Razor nodded and wrote down the results. It looked as if it was time for Razor to take the dive. Experiments always intrigued him, and the drinks seemed safe enough though the pastries had him weary due to his knowledge of science. "[colour=#0000ff]Well here goes nothing.[/colour]" Razor levitated the bottle to his lips and took a swig. Razor smiled and looked at Licorice. "[colour=#0000ff]I think our bottles got mixed up miss, surely this bottle belonged to you. This tastes of licorice.[/colour]" Razor said with an air of humour. Turning to Abbot "[colour=#0000ff]I have to say, while it isn't unpleasant, the carbonation is a bit much for me. I can certainly finish the drink, but it is a tad overwhelming.[/colour]" Razor wrote down the results and took another sip, just to confirm. Nodding to himself to in confirmation of his initial assessment. Still... it wasn't bad.

Pocket Change started listing the reasons why he wouldn't drink the concoction and Razor laughed, having dealt with potions before, he knew the various reactions. "[colour=#0000ff]You have quite the imagination there Pocket! If any of that were true, we'd see the results in Abbot as it is clear that he self tested the concoctions! Though I'm still weary on the pastries, I've seen enough effects from potions and medicines to know that there should be no real danger from this, other than a bit of excess gas.[/colour]" That aside, Pocket Change seemed to not like Razor much. He couldn't say why, the only person who seemed to take negative to Razor was Grey Lexis. "[colour=#0000ff]Could he be an admirer of that egomaniac Grey Lexis?[/colour]" Razor thought to himself, it could be the only logical reason, but he wouldn't let that get to him. You can't please everyone after all. And if he wanted to make judgement because he was outspoken to an older stallion, then so be it.

"[colour=#0000ff]Pizza? I must decline. I've already eaten with some colleagues at a local restaurant before coming here. I was looking forward to pie as a bit of a snack, but I'm not so hungry as to require something heavy like pizza. But I'm sure those who haven't eaten will be delighted to partake in it. Though I'm not sure how it could compare with good ol' Manehattan pizza![/colour]" Razor said with a laugh. He didn't believe that Manehattan pizza was actually superior, but other Manehattanites seemed to only want to eat Manehattan pizza. Apparently all other pizza was inferior according to others he has talked to.

• 2 weeks later...

[colour=#ff0000]"Pizza, eh," [/colour]Fire Heart said at Moondancer's response, [colour=#ff0000]"Yeah, I guess I can get some with you and Spirit. It'll be like old times[/colour].[colour=#ff0000] And If anypony wants to come along, that's fine." [/colour]

Then Pocket Change, hearing the news of getting pizza, began to rattle off a complex order.

[colour=#ff0000]"Err... you might need to repeat that a little slower so we can make sure everything is covered." [/colour]

"[colour=#0000FF]I'm sorry, but this is where this interesting line of discourse must come to an end. I can see that we do not see eye to eye on this matter as it were, and we have greatly varying ideas of "greatness". It is a simple matter really. Yes greatness is still the same back then as it is today, but not all greatness must be noticed by all, or so I feel. However there will be no convincing you of that, this much is clear to me.[/colour]"

[colour=#cccccc]Gray nodded at these words.[/colour] [colour=#999999]"Well, on that you and I can finally come to agree. I spent enough of my years trying to teach young upstarts something to be quite aware of when I have reached an impasse. The boldness to aspire to be great is a rare thing in today's youth. I've met but one young pony who possessed that fire in her eye and in her case it burned perhaps too darkly. Arguing this matter further with you gets none of us anything,"[/colour] [colour=#cccccc]Gray spoke in an earnest tone. [/colour][colour=#999999]"All the same if I can encourage any of this guild to attempt to grasp true greatness, my being here shall be worth it."[/colour]

[colour=#008080]“It’s a pleasure to meet you too Mr. Lexis, [/colour][colour=#008080]I haven’t had much of a chance to see Miss Flame’s abilities in action, but from what little I’ve seen... I think she would actually have made quite a fine student at Celestia’s School.”[/colour]

[colour=#cccccc]At the counselor's words Gray gave a sage nod.[/colour][colour=#999999] "I see, I see. Truly a wondrous child she is. Did she tell you any of her history? Found her I did not many years ago in that dark wood. She didn't know anything of pony society or even how to speak at first. She's had to learn so much in such a short time, but I do think she's come a long way. And that fire of hers... it's remarkable really. Regrettably, considering the circumstances of her strange history, I doubt your school was ever in the cards for her,"[/colour] [colour=#cccccc]Gray spoke, pride clear in his words as he smiled at the filly. [/colour]

[colour=#008080]“I never expected that you’d be here tonight Miss Flame, since you live all the way in Fillydelphia. How have you been since we’ve met last?”[/colour]

[colour=#cccccc]Spirit looked at the counselor and nodded as she spoke to her.[/colour] [colour=#ffffff]"I have been well... I have thought about that day in Canterlot a lot since then... I didn't expect to see you or Fire or Miss Moondancer again so soon... Is that little dragon well?" [/colour][colour=#cccccc]Spirit replied, her usually monotone voice having a slightly more expressive lilt.[/colour]

[colour=#CC0033]“I’ll definitely go with you Spirit, and I’m sure Fire would too! [/colour][colour=#CC0033]Maybe you’d like to join us too Nivial? I’d love to get to know you better.”[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"Pizza, eh. [/colour][colour=#FF0000]Yeah, I guess I can get some with you and Spirit. It'll be like old times[/colour].[colour=#FF0000] And If anypony wants to come along, that's fine." [/colour]

[colour=#cccccc]Spirit was delighted to hear Fire and Moondancer would be coming along with her. A small smile appeared on face as she gave another nod. [/colour][colour=#ffffff]"That sounds great,"[/colour] [colour=#cccccc]she said.[/colour] [colour=#ffffff]"I'd be happy to go with you all..."[/colour]

"If you girls are going to pick up some pies at the 'Grease Pit', could you please get me a medium with olives, hay-bacon strips, onions, mushrooms, alfalfa sprouts, artichoke hearts, avocado, extra hay-bacon strips, cherry tomatoes, extra cheese, aubergine, fenugreek and maybe a side order of hay-bacon strips. Ooh! And some cheesy-garlic-bread. Got all of that?"

[colour=#cccccc]The filly's head spun at this order. She didn't even know what half this stuff was... how could she possibly be expected to remember it. She stared awkwardly at the stallion who had placed the order, not even sure how to respond. Hay-bacon? Aubergines? What were these things...? Maybe she wasn't right for this task. She was glad Moondancer and Fire were going along with her. Surely remembering this would be easier for them...[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"Err... you might need to repeat that a little slower so we can make sure everything is covered."[/colour]

[colour=#282828]

[colour=#cccccc]Or maybe not. Fire was evidently just as hopelessly lost. They had to do something though...[/colour]

[colour=#282828]

[colour=#ffffff]"Umm... or maybe everypony should just write it down...?"[/colour] [colour=#cccccc]Spirit suggested, eliciting a proud laugh from Mr. Gray.[/colour]

​[/colour][/colour]

4cG4J1x.png

The muzzle of Ingrid Marie slightly transformed into a frown as Dr. Gears asked if she could provide tips on how to teleport. It always bugged the middle-aged mare whenever somepony asked if they could learn how to perform “cool” tricks or complicated spells without sufficient motives to learn them. In her experience, those who wanted to learn magic abilities as part of some sort of pastime were predestined for failure. Shifting her eyes around, a suspicious Ingrid asked Razor; “Well uhhh, if I may ask Dr. Gears, what exactly is your interest in learning teleportation?”

Surprisingly, the normally-shy Spirit Flame responded to Ms. Marie’s greeting instead of the more outgoing Fire Heart, and naturally she touched on the issue of the baby dragon she managed to see hatch. And indeed, that situation had just recently experienced significant developments; “I’m afraid it’s a bit of a long story Miss Flame, but that baby dragoness is currently in the custody of the Royal Equestrian Army. I don’t want to alarm you needlessly, but things... haven’t quite panned out as planned for the little dragoness. Oh don’t get me wrong though; Char’s doing just fine now, mmkay...” Ingrid left it at that, but she’d be willing to elaborate about Char (the name the dragoness received) as needed.

Next, Dr. Lexis finally provided an explanation for Miss Flame’s odd demeanor, even if it Ingrid Marie found it difficult to fully believe. She remembered a couple details already from her previous encounter, but to think the filly knew nothing of the outside world until her discovery? If that was indeed true, maybe Ingrid could cut the mustached guardian some slack. “I suppose we could have made tried making efforts to accommodate the girl,” mused the counselor; “But I’d supposed she really would have had a hard time adjusting to a competitive school environment given her... disadvantaged youth.” Not wanting Gray to feel bad, Ms. Marie smiled and added; “All things considered, I’d say you made the right choice bringing her up yourself. I earnestly think Spirit has a bright future ahead of her.”

9QqAB3q.png?2

Elsewhere in the room, Moondancer listened in as Pocket Change gave her his pizza order. Her friends showed that they had no idea on what the stallion wanted for his toppings, but the white-coated mare felt she had it down pat; “Let’s see now... that’s an extra-cheesy medium with olives, hay-bacon strips, onions, mushrooms, alfalfa sprouts, artichoke hearts, avocado, cherry tomatoes, egg plant, fenugreek and a side order of cheesy-garlic-bread, right?” She remembered all of it with hardly any sweat; clearly, Dancer’s list-memorizing abilities have made her AWESOME! “HAH! I don’t need any confounded list!” the unicorn boasted, craning her head high in triumph knowing that forgetting the order would be a complete improbability.

Before Moondancer and her friends could set out on their quest, another latecomer had arrived and introduced himself as Midnight Star. Dancer couldn’t stay and chit-chat, but she at least gave the colt the first greeting; “Welcome to our club Midnight! Me and my gal-pals are going off to get some pizza, but feel free to introduce yourself to the others.” Turning towards Fire and Spirit, the moon-flanked unicorn barked; “Alrighty; off to the Grease Pit we go... before Immie’s tummy gets any louder!” As Moondancer led the way outside, a loud growl could be heard from Ingrid Marie’s stomach.....