My Little Pony: Fighting is Magic

So freaking upset about the leak. I've been following these guys since way before EQD even noticed them! Ugh...

Really sad that they're not going to do any more BSU's. I always looked forward to those!

Ugh, if I could just get my hands on those darn leakers, I'd give them SUCH a firm talking to! :evil:

Really sad that they're not going to do any more BSU's. I always looked forward to those!

They suspended the BSUs. There will be more, but not for a while. :3

I'm pretty upset about the leak as everyone else is. :/ Hopefully that member of the QA team has learned their lesson about it, from all of the trouble it sparked.

Well, I personally don't care how long it takes. As long as Fighting is Magic is perfect and pristine when it releases, I'll be happy with any release date. :)

Agreed. Took the words right out of my mouth. :3 Plus, they're trying their hardest. They want this game to be top notch, and good things take time. Although I'm terribly impatient, the streams they're releasing of the game are satisfying me enough to keep me patient.

I have grabbed my Casey Bat, backpack filled with fond memories, and adjusted my baseball cap to fit my head. It's time to go on a journey to find and defeat these leakers!

I haven't posted here yet.

I don't play alphas or betas unless it is open or permitted in full by the devs. I've been on an alpha testing team before for MMORPGs, and have done alpha and beta testing for some other games, and some mobile apps. And doing strict alpha testing, is kind of annoying, because you are actively trying EVERYTHING to get it to glitch. The more glitches you find the better, because those get ironed out for Beta test builds which are usually public, and any further glitches found will then be ironed out for the final build. And even then there are experienced teams and people LOOKING for glitches to report. Why? So people don't exploit the game. And it happens all the time even in completed builds that a glitch arises and people take advantage of it. It messes with everyone playing. Now the size of the game might not allow for the amount of glitches in a free roaming RPG, but there are still possible glitches that may happen that may depreciate my enjoyment of the game. Whether in the characters, fighting mechanics, or in the levels themselves.

Now as for the development time. I'm going to take a swing and assume that this is not a professional development team. They don't have all the resources of a professional development team. I'm cutting them slack on this one. I have friends who are in VG programming and design, and others whom are VG Devs. They have not ONE but SEVERAL teams working on these games. I doubt there are more than a handful of people working on this game. Now consider that major development studios have upwards of 2000 employees. They are perhaps working only on a few games a year. How many people do you think they have working on EACH GAME at EACH LEVEL (foreground, characters, bg, mechanics, physics... ect) that allows them to put out a game a year? And how often are those game perfect, even WITH all those resources? (Hint: Most games don't escape without a glitch or two, or many) Know what the crazy thing is? Sometimes major companies like Square Enix, STILL do open Beta testing for major games, despite having more than enough professionals to do it. When they don't, sometimes they have separate divisions for that. So for them to "only" have 4 characters and a few levels done in 1 year, I say, that is pretty darn good considering the circumstances.

Keep in mind that Mane 6, INCLUDING voice talent, have 28 people working on this. I for some reason feel Capcom used at least double the people for MvC3. And yes, Capcom gets those games out in about 1-2 years. But again, compare resources. The computers, the design teams, the motion capture devices, the overall staff... Have any of you seen behind the scenes footage for a game production? I'm sorry, but I for one can't expect Mane6 to have that sort of power.

So what I am getting to is... Sit back, relax, and wait for what will hopefully be a fairly professional level game that we would never get directly from hasbro. Sure they gave us Adventure ponies, but a game like this? I can't imagine them ever giving the OK for a game that would likely be rated T for their MLP franchise.

I'm sorry if this seems harsh, but really guys, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. So what if it takes 2 years? If it turns out to be a good game, then it will have been worth the wait. Their only crime was letting everyone know the moment they started working on it. Most of the time, when we hear about games, its already well into development, and thus the wait time is exponentially less.

</rant>

Sorry for that rant btw... I hope I wasn't out of line or offended anyone... :/:oops:

• Like 5

Whelp.... someone has leaked a version of the game My little pony fighting is magic beta version and a result, they there Internal QA testing program has been terminated.

there was going to be one hell of a major update, maybe to do with rainbow dash or flluttershy i heard but someone withing there own company has leaked the game onto the web thus making everything much more difficult for the team.

This is really crud news im going to say and im very dissapointed in the person that has betrayed them and have gone behind there backs to leak this game before its initial release.

For now, they have said that Fighting is Magic will be going on a closed development cycle, and that further QA, Alpha, Beta or testing program will be started or maintained until they have the remaining two pony characters done for the initial build.

the bit size updates will also be cancelled too so we will not be seeing anything new for ages to come, and that

no major content-related updates to the website will be forthcoming until further notice, that means no more sneak peaks or anything from the upcoming game.

So basically everything's just been cancelled for ages to come thanks to one person being a noobworker, nice one buddy.. "slow clap"

this is why we cannot have nice things ladies and gentleman

argghh i only just found out, but thanks thoth, what a shame tho aint it :-|

It is. However, they did add updates. Rest assured, there will still be bite-sized updates and major updates. They just need to realign their schedule because this leak messed with the new stuff they were going to show...

as i said my friend this is why we cant have nice things, someones gotta go spoil it and within their very own company too, they must feel very betrayed, ill give it until the end of this year for maybe even info on rainbow dash and fluttershy, idk for release date now because of this

I haven't posted here yet.

I don't play alphas or betas unless it is open or permitted in full by the devs. I've been on an alpha testing team before for MMORPGs, and have done alpha and beta testing for some other games, and some mobile apps. And doing strict alpha testing, is kind of annoying, because you are actively trying EVERYTHING to get it to glitch. The more glitches you find the better, because those get ironed out for Beta test builds which are usually public, and any further glitches found will then be ironed out for the final build. And even then there are experienced teams and people LOOKING for glitches to report. Why? So people don't exploit the game. And it happens all the time even in completed builds that a glitch arises and people take advantage of it. It messes with everyone playing. Now the size of the game might not allow for the amount of glitches in a free roaming RPG, but there are still possible glitches that may happen that may depreciate my enjoyment of the game. Whether in the characters, fighting mechanics, or in the levels themselves.

Now as for the development time. I'm going to take a swing and assume that this is not a professional development team. They don't have all the resources of a professional development team. I'm cutting them slack on this one. I have friends who are in VG programming and design, and others whom are VG Devs. They have not ONE but SEVERAL teams working on these games. I doubt there are more than a handful of people working on this game. Now consider that major development studios have upwards of 2000 employees. They are perhaps working only on a few games a year. How many people do you think they have working on EACH GAME at EACH LEVEL (foreground, characters, bg, mechanics, physics... ect) that allows them to put out a game a year? And how often are those game perfect, even WITH all those resources? (Hint: Most games don't escape without a glitch or two, or many) Know what the crazy thing is? Sometimes major companies like Square Enix, STILL do open Beta testing for major games, despite having more than enough professionals to do it. When they don't, sometimes they have separate divisions for that. So for them to "only" have 4 characters and a few levels done in 1 year, I say, that is pretty darn good considering the circumstances.

Keep in mind that Mane 6, INCLUDING voice talent, have 28 people working on this. I for some reason feel Capcom used at least double the people for MvC3. And yes, Capcom gets those games out in about 1-2 years. But again, compare resources. The computers, the design teams, the motion capture devices, the overall staff... Have any of you seen behind the scenes footage for a game production? I'm sorry, but I for one can't expect Mane6 to have that sort of power.

So what I am getting to is... Sit back, relax, and wait for what will hopefully be a fairly professional level game that we would never get directly from hasbro. Sure they gave us Adventure ponies, but a game like this? I can't imagine them ever giving the OK for a game that would likely be rated T for their MLP franchise.

I'm sorry if this seems harsh, but really guys, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. So what if it takes 2 years? If it turns out to be a good game, then it will have been worth the wait. Their only crime was letting everyone know the moment they started working on it. Most of the time, when we hear about games, its already well into development, and thus the wait time is exponentially less.

</rant>

Sorry for that rant btw... I hope I wasn't out of line or offended anyone... :/:oops:

I'm there with you starswirl. This is their project, their brain child, their ART. They've been working hard to bring a finished product of something they love to other people who love what they love. They were betrayed by someone they confined in, and it was so wrong.

Did you know some people think this leak was intentional by the devs, so they could get lots more beta testers, and blame anything not up to code on it not being finished?

Those are the same people making excuses to play the game without guilt. The devs wouldn't do that because it wouldn't be a controlled environment to accurately compare results. Some leaks are intentional, something big like this was not.

I don't see what's wrong with playing the leak. The Mane6 dev themselves said its okay to play it but not to expect any help/support from them. What's done is done. Besides this should sate the hungry gamers who have been waiting so long for this to come out. Call it an impromptu beta of sorts if they must. Yes its their "baby" but they don't own any rights to it technically other than the hard work and love they put into the game. If you look at the big picture, they're just another group of bronies who have done amazing community content for the fans much like what the musicians, artists and fan animators. There's nothing special about them. They're doing this because they love MLP much like every other brony out there and want to share something unique to the community. So exploited? Maybe... but that's an exaggeration., At the end of the day this was just another "hobby" with a passion.

Just because some of us wants to play the leak doesn't mean we're guilty of "disrespect". Some people just get too sentimental about it which sometimes annoys the heck out of me, but that's just me. Like they said in their open letter. They've learned their lesson in this incident. Now they have to face the fact that whatever damage has been done with the leaked version, they have to do better and just let it slide and go with the flow. This should be their final beta teaser for everyone now that they're opting for in-house QA and internal testing.

Besides, what's there to spoil? I mean its like everything they've shown in their livestreams and demos. Nothing to spoil but the satisfaction of feeling the game firsthand though unfinished it may be.

I've worked with game devs before. This is to be expected and contingencies should have been made. If anyone is to be blamed, its partly the devs fault as well. They should have seen this coming with they hype that they've built up until EVO came out.

So am I gonna play the leaked version? Why not? Aside from the moral backlash that some take way too seriously, I don't see any problem. Does this mean I don't have respect for the devs? Sure I do, but it doesn't make me bad for playing it. It's like telling a dog to not eat the food in front of him after enticing him for so long as he drooled on the side. I feel bad for them, yes. I know what it feels like. I've been there. From my observations, the fandom is just blowing this thing way out of proportion. We all have our own views. Some of us will play it, and some of us would rather wait for the final build. Each to his own.

Just my two cents...

Even though I think the moral implications behind this debate are silly -- and share a broader scope than just this incident alone -- I really don't agree with you, Xiee. You made some good points, but this is what I'm referring to specifically:

This is to be expected and contingencies should have been made. If anyone is to be blamed, its partly the devs fault as well. They should have seen this coming with they hype that they've built up until EVO came out.

They did make contingencies by requiring their testers to sign a NDA, which was broken. If I leave my car keys with a friend and it's later stolen with those same keys, is it my fault for trusting someone with my keys, or is it the car thief's fault for choosing to steal it in the first place?

If you want to play the leaked game, great. But you're doing yourself a disservice by playing the incomplete, buggy version of it, instead of the polished, whole, real deal that the developers intended you to play. When the real one comes out, it won't have as much impact to you, because you've already spent several months playing it. Since the devs are developing this game out of pocket, on their own time, for free, I think they're owed some modicum of respect, and that can be done by avoiding the unintentional release. I don't get why people feel so self-justified about playing something they were going to get for free, anyway.

This goes along with probably my favorite tidbit of wisdom. I learned it shortly after turning 21:

Just because you can, doesn't mean you have to.

• Like 1

If you want to play the leaked game, great. But you're doing yourself a disservice by playing the incomplete, buggy version of it, instead of the polished, whole, real deal that the developers intended you to play. When the real one comes out, it won't have as much impact to you, because you've already spent several months playing it. Since the devs are developing this game out of pocket, on their own time, for free, I think they're owed some modicum of respect, and that can be done by avoiding the unintentional release. I don't get why people feel so self-justified about playing something they were going to get for free, anyway.

As some of us discussed in chat, its all in your "point of view". Whatever seems right to one person seems wrong to another and vice versa. I respect your opinions but I'll leave it at that. I don't want to turn this into a full blown whine-fest. This whole topic is overblown as it is imho. I'm just tired of the whole "I'm Mr. Right" and "You're Mr. Wrong" debate. But I digress...

As some of us discussed in chat, its all in your "point of view". Whatever seems right to one person seems wrong to another and vice versa. I respect your opinions but I'll leave it at that. I don't want to turn this into a full blown whine-fest. This whole topic is overblown as it is imho. I'm just tired of the whole "I'm Mr. Right" and "You're Mr. Wrong" debate. But I digress...

Who said anything about whining, or what is right or wrong? I'm not even talking about your individual choice to play the game early -- I'm just presenting my angle to respect the developers and what they intended, nothing more. What you choose outside of that is your business.

I, for one, never understood the appeal of making peace-loving pony friends fight each other. :blush:

The only fighting game I've ever played was Super Smash Bros. Melee......

To be fair, I wouldn't even expect them to be fully de-bugged until summer next year. They are moving EXTREMELY slow thanks to the fighting game program they are using. It's already taken close to two years for them to BARELY get to the Mane 6, and I'm thinking this'll push it back even further.

By the time we get all the characters in the lineup finished, it'll probably be 2015-2016. Not making fun, I'm literally making that suggestion from how slow this has been going. However, I still love these guys for their work and dedication to the project. I'm also happy that they are still continuing BSUs and major updates, although delayed.

Still, I can guarantee we won't be seeing a full version for years.

Okay yeah, I might be taking it too personally. I'm not saying what's wrong or what's right, I'm saying what I feel in my heart.

I feel for them because I'm an artist too. And I'm putting myself in their shoes.

If I was working on a massive project for months, and shared the progress with a close nit circle of friends and told them 'do not distribute this yet, it's not ready' and they went and did it anyway? I'd feel betrayed, hurt, and offended. And every time someone posted or commented about it, I'd know they're looking at part of an unfinished work that I was not ready to present to them yet. It wouldn't stop me from finishing, and getting publicly upset about it would be both unbecoming and a waste of energy... but I'd always have that in the back of my head knowing people are looking at something that wasn't ready. Something that was still a work in progress.

It would break my heart.

I'm not touching anything relating to Fighting is Magic that hasn't been officially released by the dev team or with their prior approval. If that means I have to leave this thread to avoid spoiler content, so be it.