Tara Strong to Scale Back

P51Mustang

Well, that's a shame. Hopefully this won't be a continual case of VA's not willing to go to cons due to one bad con.

Edit: Wait a sec, looks like that the Big Apple Ponycon website hasn't updated to reflect this. either they still have to break the news or that this is a hoax.

Edit 2: The news is on the Facebook page though so it looks like it's true.

eh I can't say I blame her. After all ya gotta make money so you can eat. But seeing that I have never been to a Pony Con since they are so far away It doesn't bother me to much. (Heck I didn't even hear about the Unicon thing until after it had all finished and I still don't even know the full story other then they broke their budget and had to close early)

I don't blame her. She's probably getting tired of the con scene, and the Unicon disaster might have made her realize she's fatigued from ponystuff. I think once she's had time to cool off, we'll see more of her yet.

Sturmm -- It's hard to summarize the whole Unicon situation, but it's basically this: the con staff had no idea how to run a convention, they planned for too many people with not enough funds, ran out of money, got booted out of the hotel early, and all the VIP guests (and, well, everyone else) got charged full pop for attending.

It seems that Tara wants to spend more time with her family. I can only imagine the toll of being a VA (even one like her that has a studio in her house) takes on family. Add to that any speaking engagements at cons.

Unicon just soured things due to the epic failure.

My hope is that VAs won't pull out of cons just because of Unicon. It would be a shame to have one bad moment ruin the experience for others to meet the VAs. Hopefully Tara and the others will be back going to cons after a little break.

As for me, I'm still going of Big Apple Ponycon.

It's hard to summarize the whole Unicon situation, but it's basically this: the con staff had no idea how to run a convention, they planned for too many people with not enough funds, ran out of money, got booted out of the hotel early, and all the VIP guests (and, well, everyone else) got charged full pop for attending.

^This basically explains what happened SRG.

It's hard to imagine with EQD plugging the heck outta the fundraiser to pay for this mess and EFN's epic coverage that some bronies don't know a thang about Unicon, but not everyone checks the main sites or brony media I suppose.

Tara should scale back for a few reasons. First, burnout- if she continued at her previous pace, don't think she wouldn't have eventually burned out on us as a community considering her intensity. Secondly, as much as I respect her, after a certain point she doesn't have much to say or do- she is human, not a machine. Third, she needs more time to family, and she missed her son's martial arts tournament for Unicon- which would have been agreeable if it hadn't been such an epic disaster. She should scale back, needs to even. We don't want to grow tired of her nor her with us, and that is the only logical conclusion at the pace she was on.

• Like 1

While Tara's not going to be at Big Apple Ponycon in person, she's not completely abandoning the fandom because of Unicon.

In Big Apple's case, she's still going to give a Skype interview and will be sending autographs to anyone who already bought one: http://bigappleponycon.com/release/

It does suck that she had to pull out of a con, and that's probably not the only one, but this isn't exactly a sign of the end times.

I imagine there might be some concern of the fiasco repeating itself with new cons

Maybe! If you compare the number of successful pony cons to straight up disasters over the course of a few years, this is the first real big one. If anything, this will encourage better organization and stronger scrutiny from con attendees in the future about organized events. A lot of other conventions (especially anime and furry) make room for pony stuff as part of their content, so attending a well-established convention is always an option in addition to the pony-focused ones.