The Revolution Saga, Part Two: Invasion (Open! Please Apply in OOC)

•(Unranked) Skyborne, Occupied Federation Outpost #3176 with Banner-Lieutenant Cryie•

The quiet new Chevalier followed behind the elder mare hesitantly, looking back at Luna before continuing on after Cryie. When the doors shut behind them, she continued to lead him down the hallway. Then, as she began to stretch her bizarre, bat-like wings, she asked a question about the mysterious 'Circle of Sirens' territory. Glancing at her with his unsettling yellow eyes, his face remained impassive as he spoke; his voice quiet yet in control. "...the 'Circle of Sirens', unknown territory in sector 13. Eight scouting parties have gone in, none have come out since. All means of surveillence via magical scrying or airborne searches have proven worthless for unknown reasons. The lower-ranked soldiers and younger Chevaliers have created a story to explain the phenomenon: a Siren lies at the highest mountain in that region, whose singing lures her victims to the mountain's base, only to be slaughtered by her minions. Superstitious rambling; it is my belief that it is a mortal enemy force that has done exceptionally well in covering it's tracks. Which means that if we hope to succeed, we must use...unconventional means of travel. We cannot simply trot in there and hope not to be noticed, especially if they have detection magics in place." Skyborne's analysis of the situation finally ended, and he kept silent once more.

-[colour=#800080]2nd Lieutenant Lavender Bloom[/colour], RLF forward command post, The frozen wastes-

Bleach-white curtains and the smell of disinfectant slowly came to Lavender's senses as she awoke in the medical ward, her eyes trying the best to keep her from scanning her surroundings. She looked to her left to see a large mirror, and could hear faint murmurings coming from behind it. Getting up slowly, she trotted over and looked at herself brushing a few loose strands of mane from her face. The events of the previous couple of days gradually came back to her, the attack on the watchtower, the Chevalier, her wing............ Taking a deep breath, she closed her eyes and slowly began to unwind the bandages that covered the appendage. Biting her lip, she slowly unfurled her feathers opening her eyes.

The half closest to her torso was fine, but was covered with........ metal. Her eyes crept along the ridges and curves, as she registered what had become of her once graceful appendage. Flaring her metal feathers, she examined her new wing. Tears began to form in her eyes as she realised the horrible truth, she would never be able to fly properly again. She flapped and hovered on the spot, it worked but.............. Gods, why had she been so careless? [colour=#ff8c00]"Lavender........."[/colour] The mare quickly pulled her new wing to her side, almost ashamed to show it off. Behind her in the doorway stood Applejack, a solemn expression adorning her features. Sighing, she shook her head. No it wasn't her friend's fault, it was hers and hers alone. She had gotten her squad killed, she had let herself be shot. She turned to her and sat on the bed, flexing and retracting her new wing repeatedly. [colour=#ff8c00]"We had no choice sugar cube, the wound was infected. It was either force you to the ground or give you that thing." [/colour]Lavender nodded in response dully.[colour=#ff8c00] "Your armour had been melted to the fur around the area, we had to remove it completely if you were going to live." [/colour]Wait, her armour.......[colour=#800080] "My armour!" [/colour]She exclaimed, remembering the flask of Chevalier blood she had collected. [colour=#800080]"I had an asset, in a flask......." [/colour]Trailing off as Applejack held up the flask, tilting her head slightly. [colour=#ff8c00]"You were holding on to it as if it was keeping you alive. What's in here anyways?" [/colour]Lavender gently took the flask off her, opening it and looking inside at it's contents. [colour=#800080]"Blood. Chevalier blood to be exact." [/colour]The general's eyes widened, gasping slightly. [colour=#ff8c00]"You killed one of those things?" [/colour]Lavender shook her head, handing the flask back to the surprised mare.

[colour=#ff8c00]"Listen Lavender." [/colour]She sighed, looking her in the eye. [colour=#ff8c00]"You need time to recuperate, so i'm pulling you off of duty."[/colour]The general's choice didn't really surprise her. Getting up, Applejack strode to the door. [colour=#ff8c00]"The nearest city is Manehatten, so we'll head over there while you get used to your new wing. I have to get this to the med labs for now, so i'll see you first thing tomorrow. Ok?" [/colour]Lavender just sighed and nodded, flexing and retracting her metal wing. Frowning with worry, Applejack closed the door slowly, heading off to the labs.

(Attention: the following posts contain the tragic and dark story that is Shining Armor's current life. Read at your own risk of deep 'feels'. The following has been outlined and drafted by Valencetiger; Celestia bless her creative mind.)

•Shining Armor and Cadence, Las Pegasus. Six years ago, two months after the Royal Wedding•

"...Shining, do we really have to do this? Surely things can't be as bad as the rumors say! We've over-stayed our honeymoon for far too long, and I wish to see Canterlot again sometime in my life!" Princess Cadence spoke heatedly as she sat down on the elaborately-decorated bed in their apartment suite. Staying at the Starlight Towers was great and all, but...she missed her friends and family, including her new sister-in-law, Twilight. Despite how she felt, her husband still had his doubts. The unicorn stallion was pacing left and right, his eyes clouded with worry as he thought of recent events. Even though she knew that everything he did was for her safety and for that of their upcoming foal, but him ignoring her truly set a thorn in her hoof! Narrowing her eyes, she spoke louder. "Hello? Shining! I'm talking to you!" The shout managed to shake Shining Armor out of his trance, and he put on an apologetic, sincere smile.

Sitting down next to her, he sat down and cradled one of her hooves with his own. "Sorry, Cadence...I've just been distracted recently. I know you want to go home to the Crystal Empire, but...not yet. Things aren't safe, and you know it...we have to wait for things to die down a bit, that's all." It was true; she had heard of the awful things happening out east in the heartland of Equestria; riots, gathering militants, and worse of all...revolutionaries. She couldn't understand why anypony would rebel against the Principality! Her aunts did a wonderful and compassionate duty, and were supposedly loved by everypony in Equestria...what had caused that change? Some even more horrifying news had also arrived, from places like Cloudsdale, Manehatten, and Stalliongrad...they were too terrible to believe, and couldn't happen anyway. Looking away stubbornly, she mumbled under her breath in agitation. "...I know that. But, I still think we'd be safer back at the Empire, with loyal ponies, than in this city without even a single guard!"

Shining Armor wouldn't hear of it, but did humor her only slightly. "Maybe, maybe. Did you hide your wings when you left earlier this morning?" The alicorn mare murmured in compliance, satisfying Shining as he got back up. A rapid couple of taps sounded from the front door suddenly, filling the room with an echo. It must be the young steward he had brought with them here. "Enter." As soon as the word left his mouth, the door burst open as the clumsy stallion entered, glasses crooked on his face and panic on his expression. "Sir! Urgent message from the Princess!" The alarmed pony shouted before Shining Armor could hush him. Slamming the door behind the steward, Shining Armor took the letter and opened the letter carefully. It wasn't booby-trapped. Taking the parchment out of it, he sat down on one of the suite's stools and investigated the message's contents.

"Dear Shining Armor,

I am afraid things are as bad as you hear when it comes to the stability of Equestria, and indeed, the safety of everypony. The news from Manehatten and Stalliongrad are true; diplomacy had failed, and poor military leadership had led to a massacre. In Cloudsdale, the regional governor had unlawfully executed several non-violent revolutionaries...it was a grisly scene. Never before had I seen such carnage from such kind ponies...I fear something darker than any threat Equestria has seen before is at work her. Twilight has disappeared, as has her companion Allison, and I fear the rebels may have taken her. Shining, that organization we have been monitoring, the New Equestrian Order, has finally made their move; all across Equestria, they are putting fuel into this ever-increasing flame that has become a Revolution. Nowhere is safe...even where you are now. I'm afraid I must call you back home to combat this threat to the security of Equestria, for I need you and other loyal ponies. Please, make sure my niece is safe before you do return...and be careful of a pony who names herself 'Red Fox': she is not to be trusted.

Her Majesty, Princess Celestia.

Shining Armor stared at the paper, rereading the news again and again. He could not believe it; everything was true. Equestria was falling into shambles. He...he had to do something...he had to protect Cadence. Getting up slowly, he looked at Cadence with sorrowful blue eyes. "...it's true, Cadie...everything is true. A Revolution has begun." The words stunned both Cadence and the steward, their mouths open from shock and their eyes wide open. When the shock faded, Cadence lowered her head into her hooves and began to weep, while the steward looked like he was about to faint. Shining Armor felt like doing both. Taking a deep breath, he approached Cadence and wrapped his forelegs around her, holding her close as she wept. Stroking her mane, he summoned the strength to say what he needed to: "I need to go, Cadence...Equestria needs every able-bodied stallion in can get to stop this new evil. I-" He was interrupted by Cadence's cry of fear. "No, Shining! You can't! You can't leave me...I couldn't bear to lose you, Shining! I couldn't!" He hushed her soothingly, trying to calm her down. "I have to; for both you and our foal. Tell you what; I'll send you letters every day I am gone, and I promise I will come back to you, alive and well. Have I ever broken a promise I made to you, Cadence?" The mare sniffled, but shook her head. Smiling gently, Shining Armor released her and stood back up, turning to the steward. "...get the Princess out of the city, and take her to our the Sultan in Saddle Arabia...he will keep her safe until this 'Revolution' is over. Understand?" The pony nodded dumbly as Shining turned away, trotting out of the room as fast as he could. He would never guess it would be the last time he saw his wife.

•Shining Armor, at the Battle of Everfree. Six years ago, nine months after the Royal Wedding•

The sounds of crackling flames surrounded him; the once-great Everfree Forest was turning into a pile of cinders...a massive fire had been created by a miscalculated spell from either the N.E.O. or the Principality...it didn't make a different, though. Everypony was dying. He had seen whole squads of young, bright-eyed stallions blown up by magical artillery or had their brains splattered from a rifle bullet. How could things have gone so wrong? Since the first day of the Revolution, the Royal Equestrian Army had lost each battle due to the brilliant tactics and incredible resources the N.E.O. used against them. It was too terrible to bear. Limping across the ash-covered battlefield, he saw a sheer cliff off in the distance, as well as the corpses of soldiers from both sides strewn across the ground. Approaching one of the cold, gory bodies, he dropped down to his knees and willingly cried. So much pain...death...destruction...why was this happening? Who could do such a thing happily? His questions had no answers, none that he could understand. His sobs broke loose as he held his R.E.A. issued combat rifle close. "...I-I'm so sorry, Cadence...I should have finished this long ago when I had the chance!" After a couple moments of self-pity, he pulled himself up and prepared to move on for the retreat...but then he heard the click of a rifle's safety being turned off behind him.

"Halt! Captain Shining Armor; surrender yourself. You have nowhere to go. Come peacefully, and you won't be harmed." Shining turned his dull-blue gaze on a dozen N.E.O. garbed soldiers, all of whom had their rifles pointed at him, ready to fire. Fortune seemed favorable at this moment...none of them were unicorns. "I said drop the gun, Armor! The war will be over soon; you needn't die for a failing regime." Something in Shining snapped at hearing the words he knew were completely true, but he couldn't accept them. A twisted smile grew on his face. "I'm sorry...but I have no intention to drop my weapon." His horn glowed as a wall of magical energy appeared in front of him, immediately causing the N.E.O. soldiers to begin firing. They looked in horror as the bullets seemed to freeze inside the barrier, dropping to the ground as though they were simply thrown. Some took a few hesitant steps back, but five more barriers surrounded them; one from above, the other four covering every escape route. The soldiers' fears intensified as the walls began to closer. Some tried firing at the walls again, others tried breaking through them, while some more desperately clawed at the earth below, hoping to escape their demise. Shining listened to their screams of despair without a flinch, even as the walls closed completely...and disappeared, leaving behind a puddle of gore. It was at that point that he regained his senses, realizing what he did. Looking down at himself in horror, he pulled out his rifle and aimed it at himself; he could end it all...he didn't deserve to live. A voice broke thought; one he knew all too well from the N.E.O. propaganda speeches and videos.

A red-coloured, fully-garbed mare appeared as if out of nowhere only meters ahead of him, fierce scarlet eyes piercing into him and the fox-shaped mask twisted into a wicked smile. "Ah...Shining Armor, you shouldn't do that. While it would be quite amusing for you to end your own life, I think it'd be much sweeter if I had the honor myself." The Red Fox sounded different, sounded...familiar. An intense wave of anger broiled deep within Shining, and in a burst of fury, he threw his rifle aside and drew the sword at his side. Laughing, the Red Fox did the same as he charged her, his blade glinting from the flames surrounding them. They clashed almost instantaneously, steel smashing against steel as they struck back and forth, their movements flowing in and out like an elegant dance. Thrust, parry, dive, twist, dodge...Shining lost track of his thoughts as he fell into the self-constructed void he had made, feeding his rage into a single flame to be burned. His motions changed, his skill altering. The Red Fox fell into a similar trance, increasing the flow of their deadly dance of blades. She managed to score a slash against his side; he was aware of the pain, but didn't feel it. Countering one of her blows, he smashed the hilt of his sword into her mask and knocked her sword out of her grasp. He watched coldly as the Red Fox fell to the ground, her fox-shaped mask cracked and breaking apart. Hearing her groan, he raised his blade for the final blow; but suddenly stopped. Staring at him, with such hatred and anger...was his own sister. Her coat's colour had changed gray, and her mane a near-black, but...that was her face. "T-Twily...?!" Disbelief and grief, unimaginable grief, filled his voice to the point of breaking. The mare beneath him snarled and kicked him in his stomach, recovering from her down position with her horn glowing. Yelling in rage, a magical burst of kinetic energy slammed into Shining, sending him to the edge of the cliff. The red-eyed unicorn glared down at him, an insane smile on her face. "...I'm not 'Twilight' anymore. Just as how you are no longer my 'brother'. Sleep well in Tartarus, Armor. I will see you there...never." Raising a hoof to shove him off, the mare hesitated, her scarlet eyes widening and her mouth open in a silent scream. Unstable flows of magic burst everywhere for some bizarre reason...one of them striking Shining and sending him flying into the smoke-filled void below.

Time slowed down for him as he fell, a scream meeting his ears. "SHIIIIINING!" The cry shook him to his very core; that was Twilight's voice; his sister's voice. Tears trailed down his cheeks, only to be carried up into the air by the velocity of the wind. I am sorry, Cadence...I guess I broke my promise. I am sorry for abandoning you. Twily...what happened to you? How could you do this...? The thoughts ended as he closed his eyes, waiting for his demise; it never came. In a ruffle of feathers, he felt himself snatched and carried away...by who, he didn't know. He felt himself fall asleep...so very, very tired. I'm sorry...so sorry... His consciousness faded as he slipped into the darkness, unsure that he would ever wake again.

•Shining Armor, at the Heart of Salus, five years ago•

"I, Shining Armor, pledge to uphold the peace,

To protect the innocent and the benevolent,

And to punish the guilty and the malevolent.

By the faith that guides my soul, I pledge;

To keep the safeguard of my Realm,

And to keep the Goliath from evil's grasp.

By the ancient rights given by the True King, I pledge;

To be the hero within the darkness,

And to be the light that guides the lost.

So I swear, on my hope of salvation and rebirth."

Shining Armor raised his head to gaze up at the withered, ancient-looking unicorn stallion in front of him. Clothed fully in white and bearing the sigils of the Sun, the Oracle smiled down on him warmly as he gently lifted Shining from his kneeling stance. "Then be welcome, my child. Welcome, Grand Master...may you bring justice to the dead." Stepping back, the Oracle's horn glowed a brilliant white aura as the sigil of Salus Umbra, a shepherd's crook with a star, was melded into Shining's chest. No pain met him...only incredible warmth, cold, and peace...real peace. "Welcome, Shining Armor; Grand Master of Death!" The six other Grand Masters, all dressed in their ceremonial clothes, applauded and gave their welcomes; from the unnaturally beautiful changeling Semirhage to the fully-armored griffon Azrial, he was greeted into their circle. Shining Armor would have felt happiness...if he had not lost so much.

Shortly after the ceremony was over, Shining and Azrial walked out of the Chamber of Light and into the massive marble halls of the Heart of Salus, the millenia-old mountain stronghold of Salus Umbra As always, it was Azrial who first struck up conversation with the stallion. "...it is hard to believe; the injured stallion who I saved from his demise, one day becoming a Grand Master...who would have thought?" Shining Armor glanced at the griffon with icy-blue eyes before looking forward once more as they proceeded down the hall. "Sometimes I wish you had let me die, Azrial. But, that wasn't meant to be I suppose; I have a duty now, as a shepherd of the dead in the Underworld, and a warden of Tartarus." The griffon chuckled a moment at the unicorn's seriousness, before falling into a grim nod. "...it is a great responsibility. The dead are often restless, and always attempt to find a way into the living world once more...most can never let go of what they lost. I wish you luck on your first journey there, Shining Armor."

They stopped at a massive obsidian door engraved with skulls and a lifeless tree, indicating the chamber in which Shining Armor wound conduct his first foray into the Underworld. He knew how to do so; even done it a couple of times, but...this time, he was going in entirely; his entire essence would enter the Underworld. It was dangerous; but it was a necessity in order to keep the dead in check. Cerberus helped, but a few sometimes managed to get through, and if they escape...terrible things happened in the living world. Azrial whistled loudly from behind his steel-forged helmet before turning to Shining. "...may you find what you seek, Shining Armor...and I hope that you return to us as you are." Shining Armor nodded as the door slowly opened, revealing a dark chamber with a floating purple crystal at the center of an altar. It was called a Tartarus Gate...aptly named, since it served as a way to escape for even the most wicked souls locked up in Tartarus. Striding inside, the door slammed shut behind him with a loud bang. He examined the altar before approaching it, cautious and aware that anything done wrong could trigger an opening of the Gate. Stepping up to the purple crystal, he placed his hooves on it and closed his eyes, entering into a deep trance as he delved into the gem's cloudy surface.

Before he knew it, he awoke on the steps of a massive black citadel, where hundreds of souls had stopped to watch him curiously. A living spirit; rare in these parts. Ranging from ponies to zebras, changelings to griffons, this place appeared eerily similar to the newly-built Equinia made in Equestria by the Federation, from the high towers and the gigantic superstructure behind him. Staring coldly at the staring souls, they quickly began to disperse and go on their 'merry' ways. He stared up at the sky above; a massive, swirling gray vortex that continued on forever. No matter how high you climbed, it would always look the same. There was no way to escape unless you were alive...this place had been well-built by whoever, or whatever, had made it. Straightening, he continued into the dark city down below...today was his first time on duty, and he would do it right.

•Shining Armor, in the Circle of Sirens, Present Day•

The soothing singing of his companion followed him as he became death itself, his blade dripping with crimson life as he danced amongst the Crystal ponies and their Chevalier 'allies'. Other Salus Umbran fighters fought beside him, their ferocity matched only by their calm emotions. All were of his Faction; trained to handle the Dead in the Underworld, and to kill without remorse. They were not as numerous as Azrial's Wind Faction, but they easily matched it in skill. His life as the Captain of the Royal Guard had paid off. Within moments, the bloody battle ended with the transgressors' bodies littering the ground, their life slowly draining into the white snow, turning it crimson and dark. Flicking the blood off his blade, he sheathed it and turned to the singer of the mystical tune. "...well done, Semirhage. They seem to fall for your alure every single time...you must feel proud to be so skilled at manipulating others." The stunning changeling frowned slightly, her silver mane swinging in the wind. Unlike other changelings, she bore none of the holes in her carapace as the rest of her race did, and her horn was more straight; like a unicorn's. "Yes...thank you. I am quite fond of young ponies; they are simply adorable! Ah, but alas, my feeding days are over...'tis a shame, too, considering how much 'love' used to fill Equestria before...well, anyway, shall we return to our camp? I couldn't help but notice we had a couple dead on our hands..." Shining nodded, turning to the white-armored troops behind him and ordering them to remove the evidence.

Glancing at the two dead soldiers, he knew them by name. He made it a habit to know his warriors by heart. "...bring Saline and Terran. We will give them a proper funeral at camp." Saluting, they did as they were commanded, a few going to pick up the dead and injured, the rest moving about the site and destroying the bodies; many cut off the Chevaliers' heads...it was the only other way to truly kill them other than complete obliteration. Once that was done, he picked up his rifle and followed Semirhage as she led them away from the scene, deep into the mountain pass above them. It took a couple hours of trotting to arrive, and by the time they arrived, the rest of the camp's inhabitants had dinner ready and meals were passed around. Cheers and salutes from the Salus Umbrans were exchanged, as well as mournful comments and the removing of hats at seeing Saline and Terran's bodies. They would be missed.

Once he entered his command tent, he was surprised to see Azrial standing at the back, fully armored as always. Clearing his throat, Shining Armor got his attention before speaking. "You know, I thought running a guerrila operation against an enemy is more profitable if we were on the move...not just in one spot. Why have we not made a move yet against these...Chevaliers?" He spoke the last word with incredible scorn; they were abominations, monsters that needed to be wiped from the world. They served as a constant reminder of his failure to keep the souls down in the Underworld, and now Equestria was paying for his mistake. Azrial laughed at his question, which irritated Shining to no end. He liked the griffon, but dear Celestia did he annoy him sometimes. "Isn't it obvious? The enemy keeps sending their 'patrols' in here to the meat grinder. Slowly, these excursions will grow in size, until the point where they must send a significant force in here. They will not leave any possible threat in their rear lines, otherwise they might find themselves finding a war on two fronts. Once they send their 'hit squad', our engineers will blow up this mountain to cover our retreat...and bury the enemy forces beneath it. It is simple, once you think about it, but this is about more than that: each day you hold them back, the sooner New Manehatten can prepare for this impending assault. Every day counts in this war, Shining...and we desperately need the time given to us." Shining Armor nodded, coming to the same conclusion as Azrial. "...that does make sense. Very well, you are the General. However, I cannot keep this up forever...I lost two of my best fighters today; I would rather not lose them all." Azrial remained quiet as Shining Armor exited the tent without saying another word. He was angry...mainly at himself, for the deaths of Saline and Terran, and several others since this blasted campaign began. He needed a drink; and he knew exactly where to get one. Falling into brooding silence, he went off to the make-shift tavern the camp had set up.

(Additional information not covered:

1. Cadence has a miscarriage after hearing of Shining's 'death'.

2. Twilight and Red Fox were having a mental battle shortly before Shining fell off the cliff (if it wasn't a bit obvious).

3. Yes, the Underworld is almost exactly like the living world...except gloomier.)

[colour=#006400]- Col. Star Striker - [/colour]

Forward Command Staging Area, Frozen Wastes

A lone Black Hawk stealth helecopter approaches the base slowly as light snow storm begins to set in. The wastes begin to grow dark with the increasing cloud cover and snowfall. The aircraft encircle the base a couple times like a bird of prey hunting its evening meal but, then casually decends to the landing pad. A few guards and soldier on snow shoveling duty approach the landing with confusion, not expecting an arrival anytime soon. The blades of the aircraft slowly glide to a halt and the cabin door slides open...

Out steps a massive bipedal stallion, dressed in a tanish hue black, grey, and white digital fatigues. He is clad in a strange kind of what looks to be heavy assauly armor, his face obscured by a strange cloth bandana and a helmet consisting of a pair of combat glasses; one lens glows and erie blue. This stallion of a tank hops effortlessly off the deck of the helecopter, uninhibitted at all by the weight of his armour, landing with a big thump. The left shoulder of his fatigues bears the REA Ranger insignia. His right bears the RLF banner but it is accompanied by another strange emblem consisting of what looks to be a ghostly blue image of a pony's skull encircled by the words "Ghost Recon." As he nears the first group of guards they stop dead cold and salute nervously when they see the eagle crests on his collar and the name on the front of his body armor... "Striker." His name preceeded by the words "Spartan-001..."

Soldiers clear out of his path as he casually makes his way to the command facility, daring not to follow but hesitantly returning to there duties. As he enters, all the personel turn his direction and gaze in awe. Without acknowledging those around him, he Colonel walks to central table containing maps of the area and other relevant data. Striker removes his helmet to reveal the face of stone beneath and places it on the table.

[colour=#008000]"Where is Gen. Applejack?"[/colour] he asks the general populous of the room expecting an immediate answer.

Ponies hesitate. Striker's intimidating figure doesn't make it easy but one soldier unwillingly steps up.

[colour=#A52A2A]"Lt. Major Casings, 1st RLF Infantry Division, sir. Um... Colonel, sir... Last we know, the General was with 2nd Lt. Lavander Bloom in the infirmary. The Lt. was injured on assignment and-"[/colour]

[colour=#008000]"That's enough, Lt. Major. Radio the General of my arrival. I will need a debriefing ASAP..."[/colour]

[colour=#A52A2A]"Y-y-yes, sir."[/colour]

Star stands motionless waiting for his CO...

-Lyra Heartstrings, after hours club

The musician nodded slightly at the question, [colour=green]"Well, I haven't been here long enough to find any real fun spots."[/colour] How long had it been since she came to the Empire? Normally she didn't try to think too much about her situation for coming to the town, so she didn't strongly remember when she arrived. At the very least it had been a few years. As Val left the building, Lyra quickly followed behind her. The sharp night air actually felt nice to her, she looked up at the stars, seeing their light reflect off the crystalline buildings. It was a truly beautiful sight, and somehow it was even more stunning tonight.

As she walked through the city with Val, she wondered aloud, [colour=green]"So, you lived here all your life? Have you ever thought about moving around?"[/colour] Once she finished asking the question, she remembered what was going on with the world. Sometimes Lyra's mouth would move faster than her brain, it made for good brainstorming for music, but it can get in the way of socializing. Her face grew pink as she tried to backtrack the question, [colour=green]"Umm, I don't mean like right now or anything. Just in the future, or in the past or whenever."[/colour] Her memory of her past moves weren't all that great, but both seemed to give her a fresh start. Maybe now wouldn't be a bad time to get her fresh start in the Crystal Empire. [colour=green]"Just wondering, because this is actually the third place I've lived it."[/colour]

Feeling a bit awkward, the minty mare had her horn start glowing. A pocket on her case opened and out floated a little ball, wrapped in blue and yellow covering. The sphere turned as the ends of the wrapper were pulled by the hazel magic, until it popped out and flew right into her minty mouth. Candy was something that always perked her up and calmed her down, but it wasn't the best she ever had. Her time in... Well, in her past had spoiled her. Still, the candy was sweet enough to make sigh with pleasure. The wrapper floated back into the case as another candy floated out towards Val, [colour=green]"Want one?"[/colour]

-Banner-Lieutenant Cryie, Occupied Outpost 3716 with Skyborne (Rank Unknown)-

Cryie listened as Sky explained the Circle area, but she couldn’t help but roll her eyes at how methodically it was, almost no emotion in his voice. It’s like he didn’t realise he was still alive, stretching the definition of alive, but none the less.

[colour=#008000]“So we’re dealing with either some mare that ponies find irresistible and die for her, or a group of ponies who know a thing or 2 about fighting. My money, if I had any, would be on ponies. They are probably some unicorns trying to show off….Unconventional? The only means of entering I would see would be to fly in, but if that’s not an option…."[/colour]

She left the sentence unfinished, hoping he’d suggest something. She’d never wanted to work with him, but since she couldn’t think of anything that might be ‘unconventional’ she hoped that he might have something, her Black and Red eyes looking over him. She smiled slightly as they exited the cold building.

[colour=#008000]“Ok, Well, we should feed before we leave, make sure we’re prepared…I’m going to grab something..Umm, you wanna eat with me? Or you just wanna stare at the ground looking sad for yourself?”[/colour]

-Valour Bound, After Hours Club-

Val gave a nod as she answered Lyra, [colour=#40e0d0]"Correct, I have always called this place home." [/colour]She gestured to the city in general as they walked through the residential area. [colour=#40e0d0]"I have never truly felt a desire to leave this place," [/colour]She began to answer sounding whistful, [colour=#40e0d0]"I love this city, this empire." [/colour]She turned her face to the sky; thoughts and memories of a time before all of the war, and death, expression growing somber. [colour=#40e0d0]"I wanted to see Canterlot before..." [/colour]She stopped halfway, looking bitter. So much had happened in the past decade that she did not wish to think of, so much pain. Her kingdom had lost its rightful ruler to the Revolution. She had lost all of her dreams. She turned her face back from the heavens, a few stray tears falling to the flagstones below. [colour=#40e0d0]"Please forgive me," [/colour]She said sadly, [colour=#40e0d0]"I am most definitely ruining the mood."[/colour]

Valour smiled at the other mare as she offered her a piece of candy. [colour=#40e0d0]"Thank you," [/colour]She accepted the small piece of kindness gladly, [colour=#40e0d0]"you are too kind." [/colour]She unwrapped it with a small degree of difficulty, laughing at herself as she fumbled with it. [colour=#40e0d0]"Give me a sword and I coudl carve intricate designs,"[/colour] She shook her head sounding amused, [colour=#40e0d0]"yet this small wrapper confounds my hooves am I truly so far gone from normality that battle is easier for me than everyday life." [/colour]She sighed as she stopped fumbling and finally popped the morsel into her mouth. [colour=#40e0d0]"It has been quite some time since I bothered to enjoy things like candy and the beauty of my home."[/colour] She confinded in the mint mare. [colour=#40e0d0]"Do you like it here, Sister?" [/colour]She asked out of the blue.

-[colour=#FF8C00]General Applejack[/colour], RLF forward command post, The frozen wastes-

Striding through the hallways of the base to drop off the Chevalier blood sample at the med labs, Applejack stopped as she felt her comm buzz. [colour=#FF8C00]"Applejack here."[/colour] A stern, but slightly nervous sounding voice spoke to her from the other end of the line. "General Applejack ma'am, Colonel Star Striker requests your presence in the command facility. He sounds the same but looks......." The stallion paused for a second, selecting the right words. "Taller." Applejack frowned, where had Striker been? [colour=#FF8C00]"Rodger that, i'll be there ASAP."[/colour] She ought to court martial Striker for disappearing for so long, what did he think he was doing? She knew he wouldn't desert the cause, but still she was less than happy to speak with him. Two soldiers saluted as she entered the command facility, which was eerily quiet, save for the sound of map displays and computers whirring. Turning a corner, the general stopped and raised her eyebrow at the spectacle ahead. In front of her stood a bipedal stallion standing on his rear legs, with stupidly large armour covering him from neck to hooves. It looked like Striker, sure. But gods, taller was the right word.

She approached the stallion cautiously, resisting the urge to reach for her sidearm. He looked like he could snap a pony's back as if it was a twig. Clearing her throat, she nodded towards him and cleared her throat. [colour=#FF8C00]"What are you all gawking at? Carry on!"[/colour] She barked at the majority of the room, who instantaneously snapped back to work. Turning towards Striker, she leaned on the map display and crossed her arms, raising her eyebrow again. [colour=#FF8C00]"So. I see you have gotten 'taller'. Care to explain the little hiatus colonel?" [/colour]She droned, clearly not impressed with the stallion, no matter how monstrously large and dangerous he now seemed.

•Skyborne (Rank Unknown), Occupied Federation Outpost #3176 with Banner-Lieutenant Cryie•

"Isn't that who we are, though? Loyal and willing pawns to a single mare...? By any means, I have my own doubts on who exactly has occupied the Circle of Sirens. Could the new Federation Moon Guard; they seem capable of this sort of thing, and in the worst case scenario...possibly that bizarre faction that goes by the name Salus Umbra. If so, we might have an issue. In either case, I happen to know a way into that area...one the enemy will never expect." His golden eyes met her black and red, but he looked away with a grimace. That 'song' was still playing in his head...the song of Misery. He could feel her presence in the back of his mind, a small lump of consciousness that pressed against his thoughts. It frightened and soothed him at the same time, and he knew that, somehow, she could feel him too. The presence of the other Chevaliers seemed minimal compared to Misery...to the Queen.

Cryie's invitation to a 'meal' pulled him from his thoughts, causing him to look at her in confusion. "I...I haven't eaten anything since my...transformation. Could be why I feel so...empty. I'll join you...might as well. But, don't think I am sorry; I've never been sorry for anything, in my first life or this one." The last sentence came out a rather heatedly as he followed her out of the building. He hadn't felt any temperature since his 'change'.

•Twilight Sparkle, Infirmary Room #377 with Chronarch, New Citadel of Equinia•

The unicorn stiffened a little when Chronarch wiped the stray tear from her cheek and proceeded to verbally comfort her. She appreciated it, and it meant a lot, but it helped very little. Even if she hadn't been the cause of so much of Equestria's current strife, she was still responsible because she was the leader of a nation; the Grand Chancellor of the Federation. Duty fell on her shoulders as heavily as a boulder, and it could crush her at any moment. Listening to his explanation of magical reverberations, she frowned. "I have tried that, Chronarch...but channeling any magic into the Keystone only spawns visions of my past memories, hence the name. Whoever holds it can access their past, but I have yet to fully tap into it; it is like a barrier is holding me back. If there was a resonance, I would have felt it...but maybe you can find something I haven't been able to." Taking the Keystone, she hesitated before handing it over to him. When it left her grasp, she felt a...hunger...for it again, but fiercely put the dangerous emotion down, down into the deepest chasms of her mind.

[colour=#006400]- Col. Star Striker -

Central Command Facility, Forward Command Staging Area, Frozen Wastes[/colour]

[colour=#FF8C00]w/ Applejack[/colour]

[colour=#FF8C00]"So. I see you have gotten 'taller'. Care to explain the little hiatus colonel?" [/colour]The General's words immidiately gain Star's attention. He slowly turns his head towards AJ's direction followed by the rest of his new massive form. His face is as blank and expressionless as that of stone. His tan coat appears darker than normal as well as his short mane, blending in with his armor. As he faces her, Striker salutes her sharply. [colour=#006400]"Mam..." [/colour]he says with a deep cold tone. [colour=#006400]"Reporting for active duty." [/colour]His deep green eyes lock on to her. [colour=#006400]"As for my absence..." [/colour]He cracks his neck silghtly. [colour=#006400]"I was on a personal assignment..." [/colour] Striker looks down to his body and back to AJ with a subtle smirk. [colour=#006400]"...to assist the war effort..."[/colour]

-[colour=#ff8c00]General Applejack[/colour], RLF forward command post, The frozen wastes-

AJ sighed and slowly shook her head towards the colonel. 'personal assignment to assist the war effort my flank.' She thought as he explained, they would be able to talk later. [colour=#ff8c00]"Well, it's good to see you back I suppose." [/colour]While he was a tad annoying at times, Striker had been a good friend of her and Free's since the beginning of the revolution, so his quiet demeanor didn't come as that much of a surprise to her. [colour=#ff8c00]"But lets save the explanation of your assignment for later while over a pint eh?"[/colour] She smirked as she talked, it had been a while since she had been able to drink freely. [colour=#ff8c00]"I take it you are aware of the current situation we are in?" [/colour]She asked, tapping a map display, warping it to an overhead view of the majority of the wastes.

The colonel comes down to all four hooves, leveling himself with AJ, his stature still bigger than his previous self. [colour=#B22222]"Wow... he even makes Big Mac look small..." [/colour]one pony randomly comments quietly from the backround. [colour=#0000CD]"I know, right?"[/colour]

[colour=#FF8C00]"But lets save the explanation of your assignment for later while over a pint eh?" [/colour]The General's words, although friendly, make him feel slightly apprehensive about debriefing his CO. The Spartan Iniative was and still is top classified intel. Unsure about AJ's knowledge of the subject, he decides that his abence will need a valid explaination and her finding out will be an inevitability. [colour=#006400]"Solid copy, mam." [/colour]he nods without expression. Striker walks over to the map display with AJ and observes the detailed area of the wastes presented before him. [colour=#FF8C00] "I take it you are aware of the current situation we are in?" [/colour]She asks him. The Colonel will definitely need to be brought up to speed as his absence kept him out of the loop for months. He is still not aware of anymore intel on the Pierrot threat other than the intel gained from the assault on the changeling hive. He keeps his gaze on the map. [colour=#006400]"Negative, mam. Because of my absence I will need a briefing." [/colour] He glances over to AJ. [colour=#006400]"Bring me up to speed."[/colour] he replies.

-Banner-Lieutenant Cryie, Occupied Outpost 3176, with Skyborne (Rank Unknown)-

[colour=#008000] “Sky, we may be reborn, b-but, we are alive, you don’t understand it like I do. But I owe the Queen everything, she has given me a chance to bring my revenge upon this world…Moon Guard? Despite being professionals, several teams of Chevaliers? No, it might be this Salus Umbra, but I haven’t heard of such a force before….And what way? I will admit I am curious too, I want to hear about how we can attack a force of professional killers..” [/colour]Cryie shook head slightly, convinced that whatever was killing the teams was simple setting up good ambushes, that's all.

[colour=#008000]“Y-you haven’t eaten? That explains it, we are still mortal, we require food…..Come on, I still have something left over from my little feast in my text, I may have taken a little too much”[/colour] a small smile appeared on her face, before quickly loosing it. She remembered what he had said, about being a simple pawn

[colour=#008000]“L-listen, Sky…Don’t try understand some of us, ok? You can’t, not until you’ve experienced what we, I mean, I have…Death…Y-you were lucky in a way, you didn’t feel your life being taken from you…Unlike some of us….You lived, w-while i….I died in pain, slowly, agony claiming my senses the entire time. Do you know what that feels like Sky?.....”[/colour] Cryie’s eyes glanced up at the sky above her.

[colour=#008000]“I was flying home, expecting the sun to come up soon, I took a quicker route…B-but then…it didn’t..I was lost, panicking, I flew fast….A-and then….”[/colour] Cryie stopped speaking, finding herself unable to put the words together anymore, remembering the crash, her wing being basically torn from her body, and the wait. Lying on the ground, with blood coming from her wound for several hours until finally, when she felt deaths embrace start to finally claim her, the sun rose, lighting up the world around her.

Cryie continued, but her words came out with more force then before [colour=#008000]"You don't understand Sky, and you never will...I may not be the perfect soilder, but i made a promise before i died that i would see this world destroyed, Celestia's world destroyed..And now, i have been given the chance to do just that...So, i may be just a pawn in this war, a slave even..But i will have my revenge, and i will do anything, anything, to watch this world burn....Misery, our Queen of Hearts, brought me back to life...And i might a simple puppet from her eyes, but i don't care..Do you understand now Sky? Understand why we Chevaliers allow ourselves gratitude to the Queen?"[/colour]

Cryie didn't look into his eyes directly, she couldn't. She could feel her eyes becoming slightly damp, and she refused to show any weakness in front of him.

-[colour=#FF8C00]General Applejack[/colour], RLF forward command post, the frozen wastes-

Applejack nodded as Striker asked for an update of the situation, turning towards the map display. The bleach white tundra was highlighted at different intervals, with RLF encampments circled blue, and CE bases and watchtowers circled blue. [colour=#ff8c00]"Shortly after the demise of the royal changeling hive, RLF forces started to push upwards towards the Crystal Empire. The process would have been simple, but the railroads leading towards it were severed, shattering any means of communication with Princess Cadence's domain. We assumed the worst. But a[/colour][colour=#ff8c00]bout two weeks ago, after mostly a mostly unhindered journey northwards, the lead convoy were attacked by CE forces. They were lead by what we now know as a 'Chevalier', supernatural warriors most likely under Pierrot's direct command. We suffered heavy casualties, until 2nd Lieutenant Lavender Bloom of the Hades Core managed to dispatch the Chevalier. From then onward we have been under constant attack by CE hit-and-run squads, but 3 days ago we began to target and eliminate key CE outposts and watchtowers. The march has so far been successful, as we believe we are almost within reach of the CE supply line. After it is disabled and any remaining targets are wiped out, we will proceed to wait for assistance from the GEF, Freelancer and Salus Umbra ,before we launch an attack on the heart of the Crystal Empire itself, hopefully crippling Pierrot's remaining military personnel and isolating him to whatever dark, damp hole he is hiding in. Well, that's the short version of the situation anyways."[/colour]

Even from her own mouth, AJ still though there were too many flaws in the plan. So many things could go wrong, what if they weren't even up against the full strength of Pierrot's forces yet? What if the other factions refused to cooperate? She shook her head slightly, that would have to wait. [colour=#FF8C00]"Now then, I have to ask a favour." [/colour]She raised her eyebrow and smiled, hoping the colonel could comply. [colour=#ff8c00]"2nd Lieutenant Lavender Bloom, Free's sister, was wounded recently, and needs some time off duty, so I will be taking her and a small detachment of Eternium Brigade troopers to Manehatten to set up a defense of the city tomorrow. I'm giving you field command of the current operation until Manehatten is secure."[/colour] The general hoped that whatever procedure Striker had been through hadn't altered his eagerness to get into the thick of things and take command.

Chronarch w/Twilight New Citadel Infirmary Room #377

"Of course it didnt, if it had been that easy they'd be found already." He took the Keystone in his hoof. As it made contact his his fur, he felt electrified. Having the artifact felt good... It felt right. He hated it, no pony should hold such power. For a brief moment Twilight's face wore an expression of longing, but she threw it out just as quickly as she felt it. Chronarch made a mental note to keep his "distance" from the artifact, just in case.

"Twilight, I'll do everything in my power to find these Keystones, youve got enough on your plate." Using his magic he started removing the IVs and the air tube from his nose. "I appreciate thier enthusiasm, but all if this was unnecessary." Chronarch chuckled lightly as he rubbed the sore spots on his leg. Slowly, he slid out of bed and trotted over to the plastic bag containing his possessions.

-Lyra Heartstrings, Streets of Crystal Empire

A calm and simple smile appeared on her face as watched her new acquaintance seemed to meet her match in the form of a candy wrapper. [colour=green]"I try not to loose sight of the little things in my daily life,"[/colour] the mare did her best to comfort Val. Although it didn't feel like the best words to pick to say to someone who seemed to have no problems with swords. A sword would never fit right in her hooves, not like her lyre does.[colour=#282828] [/colour][colour=#40E0D0]"Do you like it here, Sister?"[/colour] The question came out of nowhere, and almost caught Lyra off guard. [colour=green]"So far, it's nice. It has the same size issue that caused me to go to Ponyville in the first place."[/colour] As soon as the words left her mouth, she realized exactly what she had said.

Both in one night. Both places she had called home, now so far out of her reach, had been named. She turned her head away and up to the sky again, in an attempt to hide it. The pained look on her face from memories that came flooding back. Canterlot wasn't as bad, because she left on her own terms, but Ponyville...

-Ponyville, Six years ago

A small crowd was standing in front of the minty green mare, listening as she played a simple but lively tune. This show wasn't about her, but instead was merely background music, as they partook of some of the candy sold in the building she was playing in front of. It was something she truly loved, helping BonBon bring in business for her shop as some ponies would occasionally drop coin in the case. The sky was starting to turn a beautiful orange as the sun set for the day. Lyra sent her instrument into it's case as she popped her head into the door. [colour=green]"Bon, I'm calling it a day. Do you want to come with?"[/colour] she asked the tan earth pony inside the building. [colour=blue]"Not yet, I have some things to finish up. Go on ahead, I'll catch up as soon as I'm done."[/colour] The unicorn nodded as she gathered her things up and started to make her way home.

Normally she would head straight home, but the beautiful sky and weather made her desire to wander a little. She looked at the various shops as they started to close for the night, and all the ponies going about their business as usual, none of them had any reason to do any different. Lyra had made it to the train station, a location perfect for meeting new ponies and seeing others off on their journeys. Lately it had become quite a busy epicenter of activity, with everyone trying to find a safe haven. Just as she made her way onto the platform, loud noises could be heard coming from the town. It was as she had feared, the war had finally made its way to their little town. Everything was going to change.

-present day, Crystal Empire

Just as fast as the memories had flooded in, they ran away. Lyra did her best to recompose herself. [colour=green]"I discovered I really love small towns. Places you can learn everyone's names, and never have any strangers around."[/colour] Her voice sounded forced, like it was pushing something back. Her mouth was forming a smile, but her eyes, they showed a sorrow and a longing that was harder to hide. The mare never really had any skill in hiding her emotions, no she was better at putting them on full display with music and words that would have everyone know exactly how she felt. Even though Val had said that she had ruined the mood, Lyra felt much more guilty of it.

(GEEZUS this took me days to write, hope you enjoy the glorious awesomeness! ;) And they said I was mad for having an awesome 15 paragraph-long action sequence... WELP, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! :mad:)

>Agent York, Freelancer Helicopter

“[colour=#daa520]Yeah, it’s Carolina. Hard to imagine an average, well mostly average pony like me to fall for a mare like that huh?[/colour]” York smirked happily relieved knowing that Virginia wouldn’t reveal his secret to the other Freelancers, “[colour=#daa520]Ahaha, funny that’s pretty cute Virginia. I remember you and Harmony getting real close that night if my memory was right.[/colour]” York retorted sarcastically giving Virginia a snarky sideways glance, teasing her over her secret relationship with Harmony. “[colour=#daa520]Don’t worry I won’t say to the others, our little secret right?[/colour]” York grinned as Virginia blushed probably reminiscing about that night, who could blame her? That night in particular was insane and fun. Heck York even at one point remembered seeing the larger and heavier Agents, like Maine and Montana join the fun by trying to beat each other in a drinking match. Despite the fact neither won and they both had to get thrown out for actually drinking one or two bars dry, it was no surprise since they were built like literal walking tanks.

It was them and several others who often brought some of the biggest handheld guns in Freelancer’s arsenal with them during missions. “[colour=#DAA520]And I thought it’d be a cold day in heck before I saw those two in the same room with alcohol involved...Celestia have mercy on the poor souls who had to throw those two out.[/colour]” He remarked light heartedly putting on a kind of shell shocked act for hilarity however he started cracking up into chuckles after a few moments trying to maintain a humorously serious demeanor . “[colour=#DAA520]So Virginia, how did you and Harmony, Y’know...?[/colour]” York asked out of curiosity wondering how Harmony and her kind of meet and fell in love in as short time as they did, hoping the story would pass the time for them to reach the outside the Trans-Equestrian train station.

>2 Months Ago inside the Crystal Empire

Recommended track for listening to while reading:

Red petals fell gracefully from the sky, blanketing the vast surrounding forests with a colourful palette of reds. The forest floors were enshrouded by a mystical mist, covering the ground mysteriously. Somewhere in the forest on a rock hidden in a small opening in the forest, sat a red-maned female Agent by the codename of Agent Carolina. A highly augmented, very well trained Unicorn from a secretive organisation known only as Freelancer. She was armoured in a highly advanced suit of turquoise armour and armed with a pair of close combat weapons and dual wielding Submachine Guns. Staring at the sky she waited for another agent to arrive, give her the word to begin their mission.

The mission itself was rescuing a highly valuable target, said to be in transit heading near their location through a railway line with the destination being the capital of the Crystal Empire. Her partner for the mission was said to be none other than Agent 117 himself, she heard about his reputation during the Revolution. About how he would just cut through his opposition if they got in his way mercilessly, like they were nothing but ragdolls and cutting practice for the mayhem he ensued. She was both fascinated and terrified by him, and to actually see him in action would be nothing short of an unforgettable experience.

In a way she pondered if this was a test set by the Director to fulfil some mysterious agenda that elusive pony had in store for her. She would eventually find out as a mysterious tall black armoured figure emerged from the shadows, approaching her eerily from the mists the figure’s stance and armour was no doubt Freelancer it had to be Agent 117. "Carolina, it's time to intercept the target." The figure announced to her stoically, the growl beneath his voice was subtle but held an eerily cold undertone.

Eventually pulling her gaze away from the sky with falling petals coloured red like blood, Carolina turned to the Agent with a slightly sad gaze. “[colour=#40e0d0]Sure, let’s get moving...[/colour]” she despondently replied while donning the turquoise helmet, it shielded and concealed her head and identity with her line of sight unhindered behind a golden yellow tinted visor. She leapt off the rock looking for Agent 117 again, only to find that he was already gone. Unwilling to let the Director down, her horn and her eyes momentarily glow a turquoise aura as she casted a speed spell on her armour just to keep up with 117.

The scenery passed by like a pinkish red blur, as the Freelancers moved like fast moving shadows towards the rail line that their target would approach from. 117 and Carolina stopped as they reached a cliff face which overlooked the rail line, hidden by the vast surrounding forests they leapt skating downward towards the train line as the train rocketed by underneath them. While they slid down the cliff face, they timed their next jumps so they’d land near the train car containing their objective 117 was the first to jump with Carolina close behind. They landed on the train, hard. Skidding on the roof of the train car, 117 had unsheathed his sword and stabbed it into the roof of the train car to stabilize his landing as Carolina used her magic to teleport onto the roof.

117 and Carolina ran towards their objective, leaping from train car roof to train car roof until they reached the target car. 117 slashed the lock on the roof latch, stealthily opening the door inside as Carolina prepped and threw a pair of flash bang and smoke grenades. Landing in the middle of the large group of unsuspecting Crystal Army soldiers. “[colour=#008000]Uh, Sarge...I think I heard something under those covers.[/colour]” One of the privates mentioned to one of the two large bulky Crystal ponies, fear was apparent in his voice as he heard the grenades land on the floor somewhere in the center thinking it was the creature under the tarp.

“[colour=#00ff00]Ah, you’re just being paranoid Private. That thing will be dead soon enough, once those demon things take a look at it.[/colour]” The sergeant dismissively shrugged the privates concern for paranoid. It was in that moment, the whole room exploded in a blinding white light and disorientating ringing as the grenades detonated. Where there was once an uneasy peace and tranquil rhythm of the rails outside. Now replaced by chaos and disarray as the unsuspecting Crystal Army troops soon found two intruders of unknown origins back to back in their midst. Armed and armoured to the teeth with highly advanced Manatechnology, the likes of which made their own weapons look like pointed sticks in comparison appear from nowhere like shadows about to claim them all.

Alerted by their sudden presence the sergeant grabbed his shotgun, alerted his comrades and aimed it at the tall stallion in the black armoured who was wielding a deadly sword, thinking it ridiculous to take a blade to a gunfight. “[colour=#00ff00]Halt intruders, identify yourselves! Put your weapons down and submit to the authority of the Crystal Empire and Lord Pierrot![/colour]” the sergeant barked at the Freelancers, readying his shotgun to disarm the intruders. 117 directed his gaze at the brave pony and smirked, “Well by all means, take ‘em.” he darkly replied sarcastically as his sword ejected, launching itself into the pony’s jaw. The hilt connected to the pony’s jaw, impacting hard enough to break the sergeant’s jaw and recoil with sheer pain and shock. As the pony recoiled in pain 117 launched forward, grabbed the sword mid-air then in two precise slashes through the neck and diagonally down the torso, decapitated and killed the pony outright.

In shock and fear, the Crystal ponies armed themselves with bayonets and charged at the Freelancers. Carolina pulled out her Submachine guns, proceeding to unload volleys of burst fire into the advancing ponies on her side of the car. Two of the Crystal ponies were killed outright in the initial bursts of fire, Carolina then directed her fire towards a trio of ponies charging at 117. After a successful dodge from Carolina’s incoming fire, 117 then propelled himself past Carolina and stabbed a charging pony through the chest. Slicing the corpse out the way he pulled out a sidearm, unloading several accurate headshots on the Crystal ponies before switching with Carolina and swung his blade into an unsuspecting victim. The pony was initially about to swing at Carolina until he found that his throat had been cut and the attacker had effectively killed him with a second strike through the chest. The Freelancers had turned the center of the train car into a killing zone, slaughtering Crystal Army ponies who tried to strike them down in a tag-team effort.

The Crystal Army ponies found themselves fighting an enemy they couldn’t even touch. The second and more bulky sergeant grabbed two heavy machineguns and opened fire on the two Freelancers, barking guttural and vengeful war cries while smaller Crystal ponies advanced and charged forward under the blistering hail of bullets. 117 spotted the large pony pick up the two machine guns; he expertly deflected the pony’s bullets using swift calculated strokes of his sword distracting the pony. Carolina teleported behind the large pony who was busy trying to get a bead on 117 and delivered a efficient coup de grace, slitting the crystal pony’s throat with the pony’s own combat knife before discarding it. With the large pony neutralized, 117 charged forward leaping ahead of her and slashed, stabbed and hacked apart a trio of crystal ponies one after the other just ahead of Carolina.

Seeing 117 just carve up the Crystal ponies like a sprinting slaughtering meat grinder, Carolina couldn’t help but feel sorry for these ponies. They were just ponies with lives and families caught up in some war. Just doing their jobs to keep their families safe, she caught a glimpse of 117 and shuddered as he looked emotionless and devoid of anything she recognised that was once a pony under that armoured shell, he continued to unleash such viciousness on these unsuspecting ponies. It was then she snapped out of her thoughts as a bayonet came charging towards her, ducking below the bayonet she backhanded the pony holding the bayonet-attached rifle. Yanked the rifle out of his hooves and swung the lethal blade like a bat right across the pony’s face before she countered with a thrust through the Crystal pony’s chest. Carolina stole the now dead pony’s bayonet rifle and sprinted to the other end of the train car, leaping over 117 acrobatically she consecutively swung a clean lethal hit on one Crystal pony through the torso. Kicked another down to the ground and threw the pony into a bayonet of a duo of Crystal army ponies then killed them in an elegant yet deadly finishing move with the third pony dead with one sweeping deep stroke across the chest.

117 observed Carolina’s progress seeing her catch up to him; the mare’s capabilities were accurate according to the file the Director sent him. She was a skilled fighter without a doubt; she was precise, elegant and very deadly. Her loyalty to the Director was a mystery to 117, she displayed more loyalty to him then to Freelancer itself he sensed a connection somewhere but he would have to look into that later. Carolina pressed on as she cut down three more then launched a pony into the air, seeing an opportunity arise he targeted the now mid-air pony and flew towards his prey. 117 delivered a high speed kick into the pony, sending it hurtling into the train car doors and smashed them open. Taking the battle outside, both Freelancers leaped through the doors and onto an open train car where two more squads of Crystal Army ponies were running straight towards them.

More of them? Good, I need more target practice.” 117 remarked coldly as he sprinted forward, launching ponies into the air. Carolina used her magic to cut apart the mid-air targets, as she landed Carolina hatched a creative idea by unsheathing a pair of batons from her waist she threw them into the air and caught them magically. She couldn’t match 117 with swordsmanship or natural speed, but she could at least try to spare them from 117’s path. She threw the first baton ahead of 117 and several Crystal ponies, and then pulled the baton back knocking away the Crystal Army ponies non-lethally in a boomerang effect which returned sending more Crystal Army troops behind her flying off the train entirely. She continued throwing her batons around knocking Crystal ponies away or off the train, yet despite her efforts to save them from 117 was far quicker than her. He had dashed ahead and with a series of strikes from his sword, he decimated a large group of Crystal Army ponies as he caught onto what Carolina tried to do. Her creativity and compassion for these ponies was both a blessing and a curse, she couldn’t risk upsetting the Director yet for feelings for these traitorous upstarts was irrelevant. They would all be dead anyway.

After the fighting had died down 117 and Carolina re-entered the train car they had initially breached, approaching the tarp they landed next to in the opening stages of the attack Carolina crouched and peeled the cover back a little. Peeking inside the tarp she saw a battered and heavily damaged pony, however as she looked closer the pony-like figure resembled something more insect-like even having a horn and wings. The creature even had holes all across its frame, recoiling with shock she dropped the tarp and glanced at 117 suspiciously. “[colour=#40e0d0]You better start explaining why we are saving this creature from her well-deserved fate 117. A lot of good ponies died against her regime and I’ll be frakked if I’m saving her.[/colour]” She barked at the emotionless agent who yanked the tarp away from its position to reveal the primary objective of their raid, former Queen of the thought to be extinct Changeling race. “The Director ordered me to bring her to Freelancer custody; he has use for her in a project he has cooking up that could help save Equestria from the coming enemy.” He responded ominously as he dragged the body of the Changeling Queen to the open train car, preparing it for extraction while Carolina stared at the body with disgust.

“[colour=#40e0d0]But why her? Couldn’t we rely on the other Equestrian factions to deal with them? There has to be another way than bring back the things that helped bring down the old Principality?[/colour]” Carolina questioned 117 constantly, finding the very idea of bringing the Changelings back a very bad idea. “Agent Carolina, this order came from the Director himself. He deemed it a Level: Zero-Five Directive that this specimen and its survival does not fall to the Crystal Empire. We cannot simply rely on rebels, once-traitorous renegades-now-governmental powers or sub-pony collectives to save Equestria. This course of action was forced upon us by the Crystal Empire. I need you to secure the specimen and call for the extraction order. I’ll secure the secondary objective and set up the demolition charges.” 117 sternly reminded the female agent of their situation hoping it would silence her constant questioning for now, he had little time to play games and this train was still heading deeper into enemy territory which limited their escape window dramatically.

“[colour=#40e0d0]But, what about the crew still on the train?[/colour]” Carolina questioned the other Freelancer, concerned for the ponies that were still on the train. “What about them? We cannot allow witnesses. Level: Zero-Five Directive Agent Carolina, you know the procedure better than anyone else.” 117 responded devoid of the compassion that his fellow Freelancer possessed for these ponies. He positioned the Changeling queen safely in cover then disappeared among some of the wreckage to secure a device which held critical information on the Crystal Empire and the ponies behind the raids of an old Freelancer facility.

Carolina guarded the Changeling Queen’s body while 117 searched for the device; she opened up a channel in her helmet’s communication systems to Freelancer Command and gave authorisation for an extraction and gave an update on the primary objective. “Understood Agent, extraction will be inbound. ETA will be 15 minutes. Command out.” The voice on the other end of the secured communication rapidly replied before shutting down the channel. “Found the device, demolition charges are now armed.” 117 announced as he reappeared again with a large cylindered capsule magnetized to his lower back, Carolina glanced at the container briefly wondering what information it held before 117 showed her the detonator which was wirelessly connected to explosives along the train car the trigger was shielded with a small blast cap which prevented an accidental trigger event.

Hiding the detonator 117’s senses sharpened, he picked up an unusual series of metallic scrapping and gurgling noises from the opposite end of the train car. Turning around he and Carolina notice something slowly emerge from the shadows, whatever it was it was BIG. The thing appeared to have razor sharp talons and teeth that looked like they could sheer a tank in half but oddly enough had no wings, a red and black dragon morphed into a walking tank-like war machine. Instead the creature revealed itself to have four large barrel-like appendages on its shoulders and arms, no doubt meant to launch bolts of powerful Mana-projectiles. The heavily armoured dragon landed onto the floor with a metallic crash as it targeted the intruders, bringing its four double-barrelled Manacannons to bear on the Freelancers.

The reactions from the Freelancers was priceless, while Carolina was horrified and repulsed by the abomination, 117 stared wide-eyed mouthing a string of curses under his breath as the tank-like Dragon revealed itself and began targeting them both. 117 was caught off guard by the medium-sized titan and its heavy firepower, while he leapt and rolled sideways out of the way of the Dragon’s initial volleys. Carolina on the other hand jumped ahead and sprinted towards the tank-like dragon narrowly dodging the shelling from the Dragon’s cannons, She leapt up and attempted to pry a weak spot open in the armour of the juggernaut, however the dragon calculated the Freelancer’s predicted attack pattern and waited until the turquoise agent was in range.

It countered with a powerful head butt sending Carolina reeling into the floor painfully, it advanced on the downed agent and was about to finish the Freelancer Agent off. Until 117 reappeared intervening by aggressively pouncing the dragon with a series of relentless slashing strikes, the dragon retreated a short distance as the black armoured agent pushed it back in a brutal counter-attack. As the agent landed on the floor the dragon kicked its target and sent the armoured Pegasi flying across the train car. It fired off several bolts of Mana-energy after the flying Pegasi, which aimed to kill the pest before it recovered. However 117 manoeuvred into a roll and skidded into a side stepped landing out of the way, narrowly dodging the dragon’s projectiles.

Turning its attention to the downed turquoise Agent the dragon advanced, raised its razor-sharp claw over the agent in an execution-style finishing move and was about to stomp down and kill her. Until 117 dashed forward, pulled and carried her out to the opposite end of the train car, “[colour=#40e0d0]We can’t deal with that thing; we don’t have the equipment heavy enough to kill it.[/colour]” Carolina remarked apprehensively as she hopped out of 117’s arms and stood by the unflinching armoured Pegasi in a defensive combat stance. It was then that the heavily armoured dragon unleashed the full devastating power of its guns, combining them into a large multi-barrelled super Mana-cannon. The cannon aimed at the opposite end of the train car, intending to wipe both Freelancer Agents out in a single blast. The barrels began glowing with a blinding white aura as it began supercharging ready to fire.

The entire roof and opposite wall of the car evaporated in the resulting blast, both Freelancers were catapulted far flung into the open train car slamming hard into the metal surface of the car. Carolina jumped back up energetically and spotted the dragon approach out of the wrecked doors, she looked back at 117 who looked temporarily immobilised while sheathing his sword. “Carolina I need more time, draw that thing closer to me. I have an idea.” 117 uttered calmly while hatching an idea which would either kill him or the dragon, he began to focus his mind by lowering his mental barriers. Reaching into the deeper parts of his mind, he began slowly glowing with a crimson red aura while charging his blade’s power while simultaneously transferring power from his armour into the sword.

Confused and thrown off balance by 117’s request she thought the pegasi was insane, but at this point she didn’t bother questioning him. He was by all means, insane. Much to her disapproval Carolina eventually complied and began sprinting towards the dragon, using her magic she acrobatically attacked it rapidly while dodging the powerful bolts of Mana it kept launching at her. The strafing attacks did little aside from annoying the dragon; however Carolina was successfully drawing the beast closer to 117 preventing it from launching another bombardment too early. She kept assaulting and harassing the dragon using a combination of magic, acrobatic agility, speed and guns. Culminating in her jumping directly onto a blind spot on the dragon’s hide under the beast’s artificial armaments, unleashing several clips into its armour weakening it for whatever 117 had planned.

The Dragon was disorientated and dazed at the speed of the attacks, it roared and rampaged trying to shake the Agent off its armour. After unloading volleys of rounds into the armour of the dragon Carolina retreated back to 117 by acrobatically cart wheeling backwards to avoid a counter attack, who was glowing a dim crimson by the time the dragon recovered. Whatever he was about to do, now was the time to do it as the dragon recovered. Its Manacannon cooled down and ready to fire again, surely enough it began yet another fire sequence aimed at the Freelancers. Carolina rolled out the way warning 117 to do the same ducked out of view of the dragon’s sights while reloading the last of her ammunition into her submachine guns.

The barrels of the dragons was glowing with a white glaring aura particles gathered into the barrels, it packed as much of a magical charge the cannons and the dragon could muster. This would be it. The dragon would finally wipe these intruders out once and for all, before it fired the Dragon let out a mighty titanic roar as it fired the cannons releasing a monumentally large beam of magic straight at 117.

A lesser pony would’ve been outright vaporized to the point of complete and total overkill, however 117 timed his action, anchored himself to the open train car and prepared his mind for what he was about to do. He unsheathed his blade partially and used the sheathing device to help absorb some of the force of the blast.

When the beam reached 117 the force of the blast was powerful enough to sent him skidding backwards heavily, he held his ground and absorbed the vast amounts of Mana-energy into his sword. By the time the beam stopped smoke covered the area with no sign of 117 whatsoever...Until a crimson aura became visible and an eerily creepy chuckle was heard within the obscuring misty battlefield. As the smoke cleared a crimson and black figure stood, 117 had survived the impossible as he sheathed his blade his eyes glowed an eerie unnaturally bright luminescent Emerald Green. The Dragon became enraged that the prey was still alive and cheated it of a kill to the point that the beast had charged towards 117, to finally kill it by tooth and claw instead of magic.

The dragon leapt towards the prey, pouncing with claws and teeth brought to bear. 117 glanced at the Dragon and smirked as he waited for the right moment, the dragon got closer with each passing second showing its razor sharp teeth and claws until it was right on top of him. Then 117 spotted the weak point Carolina had made earlier, now was the time to strike.

With one strike he annihilated the dragon. Using the combined monumentally titanic energy pent up from the dragon’s own beam he collected, the power stored in his armour and the focused mental energy he dug up had created a shockwave powerful enough to not only vaporize the dragon, but momentarily engulf the surrounding scenery dramatically in an aura of black and crimson.

Even the skies above the train directly had changed colour to a total blanket of whiteness, 117 watched as the Dragon vaporized dramatically into black particles of magic. However he had used so much energy and power, it rendered him immobile in lockdown while his body and armour recovered. 117 sheathed his sword one final time and allowed his body to regenerate, his mind to recuperate from letting his mental barriers drop. Feeling a pain rip in his head, he heard a subtle ominous bloodthirsty cackle in the back of his mind.

Never, again.

117 thought solemnly as if he was warning something, something which was lingering in the deepest reaches of his mind. Finally calming down he looked to Carolina who stared at him with a wide-eyed gaze, refusing to believe what just happened. He just took down a dragon. A DRAGON! Single-handedly. “[colour=#40e0d0]Well... Remind me not to get on your bad side, huh? No offense, but you’re frakking insane.[/colour]” Carolina joked light heartedly while stepping out of cover, she sheathed her SMGs and walked with 117 to move Chrysalis onto the open train car and awaited transport. 117 didn’t respond and kept staring out to the speeding landscape, “The Director had to be sure you were ready, he needed someone who could trust him fully and could lead to the highest efficiency. He chose you; he felt you were the correct choice to be in command of Freelancer’s Fireteams and it’s Agents.” 117 admitted reservedly as he confessed about the Director’s intentions towards her.

“[colour=#40e0d0]Why did he choose me? I’m no super soldier like you, if anything you should be in command. I heard Bat-fething insane was part of the requirements.[/colour]” Carolina asked curiously before joking that 117 should be the Commander for Freelancer for his unpredictable insanity, 117 was silent for a moment pondering deeply about something. “No...Not what I have done, I am incapable of leading considering my history. Those ponies that have been under my command, what happened to them? No, he chose you because you mean much to him on a personal level. You’ve proven yourself time and again to be the leader he’s been looking for during the coming conflict.” 117 solemnly explained to the female agent about the reason of why she was selected, as a candidate to be the commander of Freelancer’s Fireteams and it’s Agents and not him.

Eventually a Freelancer dropship arrived from the horizon to pick them and Chrysalis up, after loading the body and climbing aboard they both waited until the dropship was at a minimal safe distance as 117 slowly pulled out the detonator and engaged the detonation sequence. The explosives attached to the train detonated causing an explosion that destroyed half of the train and visible to any force within visual range to see it...If any Faction in range didn't see the aftermath of the dragon's vaporization. then they would've clearly noticed the explosion caused by the bomb.

It was then that the dropship slipped away once more stealthily and took a detour towards the south of Equestria, to a secret research base built inside a large canyon designated as AVALON. There would hold the staging grounds for Project: Olympus Ark, a sister project to another Freelancer project which would drastically affect Freelancer's Equestrian operations if successful.

• Like 1

Dunder Blust - RLF occupied New Manehattan

Dunder Blust say on the street, leaning against one of the paint-peeled buildings. The streets were full of ponies, a lot of ponies and a lot of soldiers. Some irregulars, or partisans like him. Most of them, though, were new recruits gained from fighting in the area, equipped and uniformed by them self. Mostly, though, there were the standard uniformed grunts and lower officers that made up the bulk of the army. To be honest, he didn't like the sight of them, but he knew they were needed. No way would they be able to take on an invasion with a bunch of farmers and merchants with guns. He just didn't want to wait any longer for the war to be over, hopefully with the racist oligarchs of the G.E.F. gone.

He sat there, his rifle propped up against the wall beside him. He occasionally picked up a rock, examined it, became bored, and threw it into the street. He just wanted to move out already, the wait was the worst part.

The Colonel stands quietly as Gen. Applejack updates him on the latest intel involving the Pierrot threat. It looks to be that the enemy is on the defensive from the look of the intel. They appear to be fortifying themselves along key targets of opprotunity, only using raiding parties to halt the RLF advance with suffeicent casualties. The enemy supply line looks to be within reach and they are at Pierrot's front yard. The involvement of the Cyrstal Empire with Pierrot's forces, the wounding of Free's sister in combat, the current operation casualties... none of these bits of intel even phase the seasoned soldier, not even the mention of the supernatural warriors of Pierrot's army called "Chevaliers" sparks any concern. He just stands tall and motionless like a solid granite statue, awaiting orders. Orders that he will carry out.

[colour=#FF8C00]"Now then, I have to ask a favour." [/colour]Applejack begins to explain. [colour=#FF8C00] [/colour]Star tilts his head slightly, indicating to her that he is listening. His dark green eyes narrow slightly. [colour=#FF8C00] [colour=#FF8C00]"2nd Lieutenant Lavender Bloom, Free's sister, was wounded recently, and needs some time off duty, so I will be taking her and a small detachment of Eternium Brigade troopers to Manehatten to set up a defense of the city tomorrow. I'm giving you field command of the current operation until Manehatten is secure." [/colour][/colour]she elaborates, summarizing his new assignment. Striker was never one for giving orders or managing operations, he perfered to execute operations and follow out orders. This is new to his massive realm of military expreience. Regardless, he complies without hesitation, eager to get back onto the frontlines. [colour=#006400]"Yes, mam."[/colour] he replies. He looks over to the map for a slight second, going over the operation in his head, and then back to AJ.[colour=#006400] "What is my current objective, mam? Do we standby, lock down the area, recon, and await on station until you return from securing Manehatten?" [/colour]Striker asks. [colour=#006400] "Or do we press the offensive and eliminate the CE supply line? If so, what are the priority targets and are there any secondary objectives for the operation?"[/colour] He stands expressionless for her orders.

General's somewhat positive and happy demeanor doesn't fool Striker. From his time spent training and engaging in close-quarters-combat, as well as his latest Spartan training, he can tell when a pony is scared... he can smell their fear. Something is bothering AJ, whether it is this operation, the status of Manehatten, or Lavander Bloom's condition remains unclear. Nonetheless, it is not a concern yet. He must remain focused on the current operation against the CE/Pierrot allied forces... and the most effiecent ways to eliminate them...

-Agent Monarch, Private Quarters, Avalon-

Another unfamiliar ceiling. This was the third in under two months that Chrysalis; former Queen of the Royal Hive, had found herself staring up at during sleepless nights. Everything about this place was foreign, she yearned for the dark corridors and chambers of the hive. The clean metallic structures that made up Avalon; headquarters of the Freelancers, made her nervous. Memories bring nightmarish scenes depicting her domain ablaze, her children lay dead all about her hooves. She shook the visions away with a sigh, there would be no time for remembrance of those lost. If not for these Freelancers she herself would have been delivered to Pierrot's clutches. They had rescued her from the train and brought her to this crisp clean city of theirs. For weeks she lay in one of their medical facilities; the incessant beeping of their machines nearly driving her mad, in a regenerative coma. Her convalescence was brought to its end as she sprung upon one of the yougn nurses tasked with attending her. The mare; in her foolishness, cared so for her patients. She had been a morsel Chrysalis savoured. Afterwards Chrysalis had of course offered her apologies and remorse at what she had done. All to appease her hosts. All lies.

Once she was strong enough The Director had deemed to have her honour him with her presence. The negotiations had been satisfactory for them both. She of course knew the stallion had every plan to use her, but so did she. She knew better than to take him for a foal. Equestria was changing and by their ministrations they would make sure htat change was to the benefit of both Freelancer and Chrysalis herself.

Now she sat staring at the ceiling of her new private quarters; having moved into temporary ones after her recovery, they were of course nothing compared to those she had in the hive but they would suffice. Perhaps after a bit of redecorating they would feel more welcoming. Although a part of her knew no place would ever be home to her like it had before. This ceiling would be familiar before too long she decided.

-[colour=#ff8c00]General Applejack[/colour], RLF forward command, the frozen wastes-

​Applejack considered her options, a defensive lock down would give the RLF time to regroup and wait for reinforcements from down south, but then again, if the CE supply line could be cut, it would drastically decrease the CE's ability to fight back. [colour=#ff8c00]"Hrmm.......... I think it would be best to set up a 5 kilometer lock down of the surrounding area, it would give the other factions time to get their flanks up here and to the fight. Make full advantage of the anti air weapons we have at our disposal, the CE freaks like to use bizarre dragons to flank us." [/colour]She shifted her stance to a more casual one, and felt the vial of chevalier blood jangle in her pocket. The general began to move for the exit, before stopping and looking back at Striker. [colour=#ff8c00]"I need to get something to the med-labs before I head off for Manehatten. You now have field command Colonel Striker, don't disappoint me." [/colour]She smirked, tipping her hat towards Striker before exiting the command center.

-Valour Bound, Streets of the Crystal Empire-

Val turned to watch Lyra's face as she answered the question, a pang of regret flowed through her at the expression the other mare had. [colour=green]"So far, it's nice. It has the same size issue that caused me to go to Ponyville in the first place."[/colour] She answered, her expression going blank as her eyes became unfocused. it was easy to tell Lyra was caught in a memory; one that Val could not bring herself to pull her from. She fidgeted, unsure what to do with herself while her companion was zoned out. She didn't have time to do anything before Lyra snapped out of her trance. [colour=green]"I discovered I really love small towns. Places you can learn everyone's names, and never have any strangers around." [/colour]She added remorsefully.

Valour regretted having asked her question now as she could tell it had pained the mint mare greatly. She looked at the cobblestones sadly when it hit her, she knew where to go! She hurried over to Lyra and grabbed her hoof gently,[colour=#33FFCC] "Come Sister I want to show you something!" [/colour]She rushed them down a handful of side streets and alleyways before finally coming out of the edge of the city proper. "I know you will like this place," Val assured her companion as she led her out of the city,[colour=#33FFCC] "it is my favorite place to come when I need to think."[/colour] She hastily led the mare toward a shadow in the distance. As they grew closer it resolved into a ten or twelve foot tall crystal growing out of the ground. Val releases Lyra's hoof and jumps up onto an outcropping,[colour=#40E0D0] "I first found this place when I was a filly." [/colour]She leaped to another ledge, wavign a hoof for Lyra to follow. She leaped from ledge to ledge around the crystal until finally she reached the op and sat down to stare up at the stars.[colour=#40E0D0] "Beautiful"[/colour] Val remarks to herself.