The Elements of Harmony: Friendship is Magic: The Official Guidebook

Wow, almost forgot that this book is coming out on Tuesday! Along with some goodies (song lyrics, letters to Celestia, etc). We'll be getting proper names! Like there's no Cloudchaser (She was cut) the pony in Hurricane Fluttershy is named Stormwalker...And it looks like Surprise is really one of the Wonderbolts...Wonder if she'll ever run into Pinkie Pie? :-o

37748853.jpg

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/05/stormwalkercloudchaser-mystery-cleared.html

• Like 1

They used the fan names for the Wonderbolts! I was looking at the wonderbolts on the MLP wiki a few weeks ago and those were all the placeholder names...

Amazon lists it as a hardcover.

http://www.amazon.co...ndship is Magic

Thanks for the fix!

OMG, the author, [colour=#000000]Brandon T. Snider, apparently also wrote 'The Dark Knight Maunal'. My mind is ready to explode upon setting my eyes on this gorgeous guide~[/colour]

I just got this book today.

It's hardcover, styled to look like the Elements of Harmony book from the show.

The book opens with exactly the book Twilight reads in episode 1.

A foreword by Lauren, intro by Jayson Thiessen and Meghan McCarthy.

Then it goes into biographies of characters and descriptions of the places of the show, with a lot of concept art.

There's an interview with Lauren as well.

The bulk of the book is descriptions of each episode with the corresponding "friendship lesson".

There's song lyrics for every song of the show (also useful in accurately naming each song, something people can't tend to agree on)

And finally a few pages about the impact the show has had. While bronies aren't specifically mentioned, there are definite nods to the fandom.

I haven't read it fully, so I don't know anything about worldbuilding yet, but it definitely looks good.

I just got this book today.

It's hardcover, styled to look like the Elements of Harmony book from the show.

The book opens with exactly the book Twilight reads in episode 1.

A foreword by Lauren, intro by Jayson Thiessen and Meghan McCarthy.

Then it goes into biographies of characters and descriptions of the places of the show, with a lot of concept art.

There's an interview with Lauren as well.

The bulk of the book is descriptions of each episode with the corresponding "friendship lesson".

There's song lyrics for every song of the show (also useful in accurately naming each song, something people can't tend to agree on)

And finally a few pages about the impact the show has had. While bronies aren't specifically mentioned, there are definite nods to the fandom.

I haven't read it fully, so I don't know anything about worldbuilding yet, but it definitely looks good.

Please give a review when you do. ;)

I would assume that most of the bronies are silently going "want, want, want, want, want..."

I am no exception. I looks like a fantastic book for any brony's collection of brony related merchandise. If anything, it's a must have!

I would assume that most of the bronies are silently going "want, want, want, want, want..."

I am no exception. I looks like a fantastic book for any brony's collection of brony related merchandise. If anything, it's a must have!

Silent nothing, I will openly admitted I pre-ordered from Amazon when I found out about it. :P

Finally managed to have time to sit down and read through this thing. Altogether, I thought it was worth the cost. Parts of it were a little tedious to actually read as it's just stuff we know already, but it's going to prove to be a very useful tool for settling any arguments. But it does have great pictures, a lot more than the usual vectors in merchandise. The synopses are written in a style that's clearly not geared towards 5 year old girls--the language is for a much older reader, and the deeper themes of the show are touched upon. It really feels like someone in the fandom could have written these. And I'm personally a fan of the amazing cover art--if nothing else, this is a perfect prop for a Twilight cosplay.

Interesting things below:

The book starts pretty much exactly like Twilight's book in episode 1 with the brief introduction of the Elements of Harmony.

It is interesting that it refers to Luna at one point as "the younger unicorn" when she clearly has wings in the picture.

Interesting things from the meet the ponies section:

"Spike was orphaned as an egg, and his origins remain a mystery."

Rarity's concept art has a much different mane style, and also she's wearing a saddle.

"Fluttershy has a lot of fears to overcome, but one day her strength of character and enormous heart will make her a force to be reckoned with." (emphasis mine)

Concept art reveals that Pumpkin Cake was originally named Paddy Cake.

A few background ponies are given official names, mostly exactly along the lines of the blindbags. Colgate is Minuette, Doctor Whooves is "Dr. Hooves", Bon Bon is Sweetie Drops. Allie Way is there but only labeled as one of the "Bowler ponies".

Derpy is shown with the Cloudsdale ponies but not named.

Snowflake is called "Muscle pony".

Steven Magnet is the canon name.

Concept art of Nightmare Moon shows a lot of really cool designs.

A blurb from an animation director calls Sombra an underestimated villain.

Lauren had been thinking of including "Elements of Discord" in the show.

There's a picture of an Ursa Minor at one point that is for some reason bright green.

In the synopses of the episodes, the Find a Pet song is referred to as "an epic song sequence".

The "friendship lesson" for Super Speedy Cider Squeezy is indeed "I didn't learn anythin'!"

If you have the money to spend on this book, I would recommend it.

Wait, there's a topic specifically for this book. :-o

Guess I didn't notice that at all... :blush:

Quoted from another thread...

Bought this book as a birthday present to myself and I just got it today. Well worth the money. Hard cover; made up to look like the Elements of Harmony book; 250 pages of pony, including neat little episode guides. It's full of concept art and quotes from the staff too (as well as a full interview with Lauren). It's pretty awesome. :kissy:

To say a little more, the presentation of the book is first rate and it's definitely geared toward us. I think it's worth it alone for the art, both the show art and concept art by Lauren and the other artists and designers. Definitely a book worth owning. :)

• Like 1

I love the book. I caught a small mistake in the summary for "Sleepless in Ponyville" though: It confuses the Headless Horse with the Olden Mare.

It's the tale of the Headless Horse, haunting that very forest in search of her rusty horseshoe.

It actually looks like it's being released in the UK in a timely manner too, so unlike the DVDs I won't have to import. (Sorry US economy, no pony bucks for you this time)

Well got the book, a couple interesting tidbits:

The map that has been floating around for a few months now appears to be the official map, at least the book uses it.

In the synopsis for Sisterhooves Social, they have a picture of Rarity's and Sweetie belle's parents that shows details not revealed in the episode; namely Rarity & Sweetie's father is a unicorn, and their mother's cutie mark is three chocolate chip cookies (one bitten), meaning she is likely a cook or a baker.

Carrot Top is indeed called Golden Harvest, Bob Bon's ofical name is Sweetie Drops, and Colgate's is Minuette. Lyra though is not just Heartstrings, but Lyra Heartstrings.

Dr. Whooves is officially listed as Dr. Hooves, so very close at least. Lotus (the spa pony) is Lotus Blossom (it does not mention her sister). Vinyl Scratch is listed as DJ-PON-3, of course that may be her stage name, and Octavia keeps the same name.

The book has a picture of Derpy int he Cloudsdale section, she is sleeping, and her name is not given.

Ooh, this looks interesting, I'd heard talk about it but I didn't know it'd been released yet, I'll have to look out for this on my next excursion :)

Could I ask what price other people paid for it? And If there's a healthy dose of Celestia in there ;)