Ghost Towns

Ok, so I come on this RP forum. I'm like "Hey, I want to make a character." So I make Frostbite. I go look and see that Ponyville's closed for residences. I'm all "Oh, ok, I'll just stick him in Fillydelphia, that sounds like a cool place to be at." Fast forward a few days. I'm now waiting for approval for my character. I go searching around the RP forums to see how I could make my character's first post once he gets approved. I find that there's 3 posts total for Fillydelphia. It's essentially a Ghost Town.

At first, I only noticed this in Fillydelphia, but then I began looking around, and I found that there is a fair amount of areas that are Ghost Towns, with nopony setting foot in the area. I think we should do something about this, to be honest. This is Equestria, for crying out loud! It should be abustle with ponies, not bare, bleak, and devoid of life! Honestly, I have no suggestions right now, so I opened this thread to find out yours and to discuss this situation.

A penny for your thoughts?

I think there are more ponies in Fillydelphia now, that haven't RPed there, but there still aren't a lot of RPs, you're right.

Lots of ponies are from Ponyville, yes. But there ARE others who live in other places. We went through a board move a couple weeks ago, and then we started the Gala event... so the focus has been on the Gala at the moment. Once that closes, there will hopefully be more RPs opening up in other cities. People just don't want to get bogged down with too many RP threads, and the Gala seems to be taking priority at the moment.

No, he does have a good point. We really don't have a lot of ponies who are from/have a reason to visit Fillydelphia. Appleloosa, Cloudsdale, Canterlot, and even Manehattan all have actually been developed a little bit, and are located somewhat centrally, so that they can be conceivable destinations, or stops on the way to a destination when it comes to having a pony show up in a thread there.

Even the griffon cities have draws, since we've taken the time to flesh them out a little. Fillydelphia, on the other hand, we know almost nothing about, and it's located way down south where few ponies can really use it as a rest stop, so we're limited to those ponies who live there or can come up with a reason to be there specifically.

I think the real solution to this is to expand the map south, add some other attractions, make Fillydelphia a more central place to be. And perhaps more importantly, flesh out Fillydelphia itself, think of some tourist attractions, maybe what its speciality in Equestrian society really is. Fillydelphia brainstorming thread, anyone?

I have a character in the Saddleveil Plains but makes frequent trips to Fillydelphia. Though, he's kind of swamped at the moment with the Gala. Actually, now that I think about it, he's in 2 of the 3 RPs in Fillydelphia. Maybe that's why there haven't been posts lately, nopony is there :cry:

Still, I do have another character that is a traveling magician/gambler, was thinking of starting him off in Seasaddle Bay or Appleloosa. Sorry, don't have a plethora of characters of my own to choose from but I'm more than willing to RP in some of the other areas :)

I think the real solution to this is to expand the map south, add some other attractions, make Fillydelphia a more central place to be. And perhaps more importantly, flesh out Fillydelphia itself, think of some tourist attractions, maybe what its speciality in Equestrian society really is. Fillydelphia brainstorming thread, anyone?

Even though this wasn't my goal with this thread, I'm all for supporting this. Should we turn this thread into the brainstorming thread or should we make a new one?

Anyway, I think that these places do need to be noticed... Anyone wanna start an RP in one of those places?

Soon as Frostbite gets approved I'll be RPing in Fillydelphia. :D

I'll probably make the thread though, I want to make an RP of him sort of arriving at town and getting settled in after being transferred there.

I have a character in the Saddleveil Plains but makes frequent trips to Fillydelphia. Though, he's kind of swamped at the moment with the Gala. Actually, now that I think about it, he's in 2 of the 3 RPs in Fillydelphia. Maybe that's why there haven't been posts lately, nopony is there :cry:

Still, I do have another character that is a traveling magician/gambler, was thinking of starting him off in Seasaddle Bay or Appleloosa. Sorry, don't have a plethora of characters of my own to choose from but I'm more than willing to RP in some of the other areas :D

Yeah, that's one of the main problems for some of these towns, no one really goes there in general, and the few people that go there or have a character in the town are usually the only ones going to the town at all.

I understand about the characters thing, it can be hard to come up with characters in general, so most people usually have a range of 2-4 characters that they use and develop regularly.

When i actually someday finish my OC,i will be taking her everywhere, and exploring the other towns/ countryside with her. I look forward to rping with you guys :3

I'll be looking forward to RPing too. :)

Trillium is willing to travel anywhere as long as you have flowers, but we also welcome you in Solstice Heights Foothills (just below Canterlot) where it seems like I am the only active pony living there :D

I am trying to, at the very least, work up a plan for my neighborhood. And I had an idea for Appleoosa too.

The main reason we 'Closed' Ponyville is that we didn't want everybody and their ponies to all be from Ponyville, not with the whole of Equestria open to them. There was a large trend of everybody thinking their ponies had to be from Ponyville to RP there... not true! Your pony can be from -anywhere- and RP -anywhere- but we just didn't want the entire population of Equestria to be centered in Ponyville. It's a village, not a city, and with the rate things were going, the population would have exceeded even Manehatten's figuratively. Though most people seem to feel to gravitate towards Ponyville because that's where the show usually takes place, it's good to branch out and explore more. Try new things! These other places won't develop without you! Don't feel like you have to stick to canon that you know (Which won't be a lot based on the show!) and instead develop the world as you see it. Think Fillydelphia has Equestria's biggest waterpark? It's yours to build! Appleoosa's the home of Equestria's biggest Apple Festival? Bring it up! The world is yours to write!

The main reason we 'Closed' Ponyville is that we didn't want everybody and their ponies to all be from Ponyville, not with the whole of Equestria open to them. There was a large trend of everybody thinking their ponies had to be from Ponyville to RP there... not true! Your pony can be from -anywhere- and RP -anywhere- but we just didn't want the entire population of Equestria to be centered in Ponyville. It's a village, not a city, and with the rate things were going, the population would have exceeded even Manehatten's figuratively. Though most people seem to feel to gravitate towards Ponyville because that's where the show usually takes place, it's good to branch out and explore more. Try new things! These other places won't develop without you! Don't feel like you have to stick to canon that you know (Which won't be a lot based on the show!) and instead develop the world as you see it. Think Fillydelphia has Equestria's biggest waterpark? It's yours to build! Appleoosa's the home of Equestria's biggest Apple Festival? Bring it up! The world is yours to write!

That post just made RPing seem that much better. Idk if it is the case with anypony else but I have been pretty hesitant to start RPing because so many of the towns lacked a detailed description. I did not want to mess with the "cannon" of things in the RP community. Wouldn't a massive brainstorm thing where everypony came together and added life to these towns work as well? The only reason I ask is what if two different RPers went and created two TOTALLY different versions of a town. We are all rping in the same world around the same time period right? Couldn't this cause some form of conflict? I may be over thinking it. :D

That's it. Time to flesh out towns. Anyone wanna help?

Meow mentioned in chat two days ago that she and Mane were brainstorming on guidelines on how to handle this. It sounded like they were leaning towards "have at it" with a few caveats.

That's it. Time to flesh out towns. Anyone wanna help?

Meow mentioned in chat two days ago that she and Mane were brainstorming on guidelines on how to handle this. It sounded like they were leaning towards "have at it" with a few caveats.

Okay, that's good. I need something to do anyway so I hope they let us update it.