What album shaped you the most?

We all have that one album, right? The one that doesn't just shape our musical tastes, but our opinions and attitudes towards life. I'd like to hear about yours, so I suppose I'll start with mine.

For me, this was that album:

House%252520of%252520Heroes%252520-%252520The%252520End.jpg

Oh boy, where do I start with this? Well, to start with, it is an absolutely awesome Rock album, and the band House of Heroes is most certainly the real deal as far that goes. No digital manipulation or auto-tune, the studio recordings are a one-mic affair, with as much time spent as is needed to get the harmonies right. The lyrics are creative, thoughtful, and all are put together to serve a thematic unity, which is not something that you often see these days. And the lead vocalist, Tim Skipper, is amazing. I'm not going to do an in-depth review right now (as that's not the point of the topic), but if you've never given this band a try before, go and pick this one up. You will not regret it.

So why was this so influential to me? Well, I had just turned 17 when it came out. I don't think I was really aware of it at the time, but that was when I really started thinking about my attitude towards life, and my own identity, for that matter. I was really starting to become aware of the greater political world, as well, and since I would be eligible to vote the year after, there was room for development there as well.

I first heard this when a friend of mine played it in his car stereo, but I didn't really listen in any in-depth fashion until I picked it up for myself. "The End is Not the End" is more or less based around the concept "Love and War in the 20th century." I hadn't heard either love or war songs like this before. "Baby's a Red" may be the only love song written about a Christian and a Communist, for one thing; and it was impressive how well the band can do two things so thematically separated as hope and joy in the midst of oppression in "Leave You Now," and a joyless dissipation in the pursuit of mere pleasure in "Faces."

But the heart of the album is in three tracks: "In the Valley of the Dying Sun," "Code Name: Raven," and "By Your Side." Each of them deal with a man who has to face the guilt, terror, and losses incurred in war, respectively. All are set in WWII, or near that era. Having wrestled with my attitudes on war itself, why it exists and why people are moved to fight in spite of all the horrors it incurs, I can say that these songs played no small role in that.

I still look up to this band as musical and spiritual role models; I've bought and enjoyed both their subsequent albums, and hope to see them live some day.

• Like 1

I listen to the radio alot, but never really had the respect to actually find out who sung the song.

This album changed that:

taylorswift2.jpg

I'm probably going to be laughed at for posting this, but I don't care. Taylor Swift and her songs aren't one of my top favorite songs anymore, (especially her recent songs) but I still enjoy singing along whenever they come on.

Why was this influential to me?

As I said, I didn't care much about artists. Just that I loved their songs. This album was the first album I ever got hooked on and soon I was following Taylor Swift. (In a non-stalkish, over the radio and internet way. ^^) I soon realized that I had to support all musical artists and thank them for the music.

That probably didn't make any sense. :shock:

Anyhow, every song in the album told stories of love through different emotions; and I love a good story about romance. ;)

Cheers~

Kodokuna Haisha

P.S. @Rackenhammer: I'll get back to you on what I think about your influential album~

• Like 1

@Rackenhammer

That's an interesting album choice and I can see why it would be so influential to you. Songs about such heavy topics must hit close to the heart. I haven't heard those songs but I'll go and give them a listen.

@Kodokuna

Ah.. Taylor Swift. I'm afraid it's hard for me to appreciate her music because I dislike her personally. x3

The album that has most influenced me is easily Ocean Eyes (Owl City).

Ocean+Eyes+Deluxe+Edition+agnesmonica.jpg

There is something so incredible about all of Adam’s compositions, but it was this particular album that not only brought me to his music, but also brought me a lot closer to God. I first heard Hello Seattle through some friends, then caught Fireflies on the radio, and eventually was hooked by Meteor Shower when I stumbled across it on Youtube. It’s especially hard to describe the power in that last song. It’s all very personal, I don’t have much about it that I want to share, but.. Suffice it to say that I owe a lot to this album. It’s helped to shape who I am as a person and continues to keep me on the right track even as I endure trials in my life that I never would have been able to anticipate. I strongly recommend giving it a listen, no matter what your faith is.

• Like 1

@ivi

Aw... *scurries away*

*Scurries back* Hoofbump for loving Owl City. Have no idea why I thought you wouldn't like it.

*Scurries away*

*Scurries back*

I know Adam Young is lead singer. Still.

*Scurries away*

The answer here is quite easy and clear to me, although it's not one album, but two.

Hybrid+Theory++HQ+PNG.png

AND

linkin-park-meteora-600x600.jpg

I used to listen to this even when I didn't know English language good enough to understand it. Years later, I am still fond of these two albums. I also understand the lyrics at last, and I find them simply amazing. These hold a meaning, something what a long of today's songs lacks.

No matter what happens, these two simply can't get out of my head. Plus, they hit a right string. "I've kept everything inside but even though I've tried, it all fell apart."

Even though today I appreciate different artists more than LP, I doubt I'll ever resign from listening to these albums.

• Like 1

@Kodokuna

Sorry, she's just.. rude. x'D Definately a hoofbump for Owl City though. Haha, you thought I didn't? I've got to be one of the biggest fans, I go to concerts whenever I can, even got to personally meet Adam once. And he actually is Owl City, not just lead singer. He writes, records, and produces the music all by his lonesome, excepting stuff like duets and ATBaB which had a lot of collaberative work (but he remains the only person 'in' Owl City).

@Expo

I do like Lincoln Park, and that line is awesome. I haven't listened to them much lately but I'll look those albums up and give them a listen.

@Kodokuna

Sorry, she's just.. rude. x'D Definately a hoofbump for Owl City though. Haha, you thought I didn't? I've got to be one of the biggest fans, I go to concerts whenever I can, even got to personally meet Adam once. And he actually is Owl City, not just lead singer. He writes, records, and produces the music all by his lonesome, excepting stuff like duets and ATBaB which had a lot of collaberative work (but he remains the only person 'in' Owl City).

Aw man, before I met you, I thought he was only in Owl City. Had no idea he had other musical projects. And now I know that he doesn't have a band, but he IS the band. I learn something new everyday! :3

• Like 1

Aw man, before I met you, I thought he was only in Owl City. Had no idea he had other musical projects. And now I know that he doesn't have a band, but he IS the band. I learn something new everyday! :3

xD

Yay for learning!

• Like 1

@Rackenhammer

Listened to the whole album, and was pleased with it. :) I think there were a couple of songs that were 'eh-ish' to me, but overall, I enjoyed my near hour of listening to them!

Oh god. I know I am supposed to be gone, but I need to respond to this and how do I even qualify this into ONE SINGLE ALBUM?

Music is a huge HUGE part of my life. Always. Even as a very young child, I was very aware of what I liked and did not like, and spent more of my first-fourth grade years listening to the radio than watching TV or playing video games. I spent most of my money from my first jobs on records (yeah, those black things that look like frisbees), and even as the very first thing I bought when I got a divorce was a brand new record player. My mind automatically fills in soundtracks to memories, and hearing a song that I haven't heard in a long time can instantly transport me back in time.

So I will take it back to the earliest album obsession.

Def Leppard's Pyromania pretty much shaped the entire 80s for me. It was the first record I bought. I was PROBABLY 7, and it was about a year after it came out. If we want to count the one album that influenced your musical tastes the most, this would be it. Not by virtue of the sound of the album per se, but rather by the influences that i eventually researched and sought out. Queen, Bowie (which to be fair my mother forced on me), Thin Lizzy and the entire spectrum of glam rock was revealed to me by my love of this album. This album made me bring music into my live as something very important.

And when I was in high school Beck's Mellow Gold came out and basically turned me into a indie kid who loves relatively noisy, guitar-driven rock for life, compelting the spectrum of stuff I listen to. Before this I didn't know independent labels existed (i discovered this by virtue of One Foot in the Grave, which was released on K). Now most of the music I listen to tends to be more skewed that way, not to mention that i have even worked for one in Seattle, and have friends who release albums on many of them. The DIY lifestyle is pretty much my identity. I exist in a circle of crafters, musicians, small farmers and the like. It also made me attracted to men in 70s style cowboy shirts, which has not gone away.

Also, all you people who are talking about Owl City. Please look into their influences, like John Vanderslice (who is actually a friend of mine, and makes crazy awesome and intellectually challenging music, and is pretty much the NICEST GUY in indie rock). Actually, for ANY band you love, look into their influences. You will be amazed at how your musical spectrum grows. You like a band? check them out on allmusic.com and look at the "related" tab. Follow that trail back to the bands that influenced the bands you love, and the bands that influenced them. You will not regret it once you find some musical perfection from the past.

• Like 4

@Flutterscotch

It might interest you to know that my mum was a model in the 80s and was paid to be in a music video or two for Def Leppard. She got to meet them all and they're still her favorites. x3

As for Owl City's influences, I'm not very familiar with John Vanderslice. Adam's influences - imho - are more obviously people like Johnathon Ford and Thomas Newman, with the overall style probably being most comparable to The Postal Service (which is a group I love). Looking at roots is definitely good with any artist! I wonder why people tend to be so very critical of Owl City's influences, though.. o3o His is some of the most inspiring and unique music that I’ve ever heard.

For me, it was Panic! At the Disco's Pretty. Odd.

>It led me to a lot of music from the 60s and 70s that I had never heard, but had influenced this album

>As this band lost quite a few fans from this album, it really helped me turn into a person who just stopped caring what other fans thought. I like this music, and I didn't feel like compromising that to be cool.

>It was the first album I bought after moving across the country.

@Flutterscotch

It might interest you to know that my mum was a model in the 80s and was paid to be in a music video or two for Def Leppard. She got to meet them all and they're still her favorites. x3

As for Owl City's influences, I'm not very familiar with John Vanderslice. Adam's influences - imho - are more obviously people like Johnathon Ford and Thomas Newman, with the overall style probably being most comparable to The Postal Service (which is a group I love). Looking at roots is definitely good with any artist! I wonder why people tend to be so very critical of Owl City's influences, though.. o3o His is some of the most inspiring and unique music that I’ve ever heard.

The check out Ben Gibbard's Solo Project All-Time Quarterback. I worked for that label back in the day.

#1 Pink Floyd's The Wall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBv5MDhLwj4

Where do I even begin...

This album changed my life. I love every single thing about it. I've spent countless hours theorizing over it, endlessly pondering its many mysteries and analyzing it senseless. Every time I listen to it I find something new to love. Roger's sorrowful wailing or seductive beckoning David's passionate guitar. Nick's always-perfect drumming. The groovy basslines. It strikes me like nothing else can.

As for the movie, it's my favorite movie ever. I love Gerald Scarfe, and when I found out that he did the art for that movie I was so excited. He did such beautiful art. The animation was creative, flowing, and flawless. The live action had excellent timing and the casting was perfect. Bob Geldof really put his all into it. Everyone does.

The story is very close to home for me. I've not had an easy life, and I've "fixed" a lot of my problems by door-slamming. I put up walls around me and isolate myself from other people. It's simply my nature. Eventually this caused a lot of mental problems for me, and like Pink I had a mental breakdown. I recovered, and around that time I became good friends with my current boyfriend. We bonded quickly, two emotional teenagers, and he let me borrow his copy of the album. I listened to it nonstop for a very long time. It really made me rethink my door-slamming. The day I first listened to that album I finally agreed to go to therapy and get over a lot of old grief and fear. That was the start of my recovery, and I owe it to Pink Floyd.

#2 Depeche Mode's Black Celebration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pJQKW6Z7TU&list=PL61D7FDD974F36552&index=87

Every single song on this album has a special place in my heart. This is another album my boyfriend introduced me to. I was a dark, brooding, lonely teenager with a lot of wicked ideas. I never stopped thinking, I never stopped daydreaming, I never stopped having moral dilemmas. It became MY album.

All the songs are spectacular, but my favorite song off of it is Here Is the House. The line "I feel your warmth and it feels like home" always makes me cry. I always felt unsafe in my own home because of my anxiety. I never really felt home anywhere and I had panic attacks and extreme compulsive paranoia. But when I was in my best friend's arms and he said that he loved me... that felt like home. We were the two teenagers in that song, simply sharing stories, hopes, dreams, warmth. We were each other's home.

• Like 2

Oh dear... How can I even do this? CDs that shaped me both as a person and my musical tastes?

Well, for me, no music shaped me as a person. Music can impact my emotions and how I feel at the time. But that is always in flux, and if I list the albums that could have had an impact on my emotions over the years, I'm pretty sure I'd break the limit of posting handily... So then the question becomes, what did influence me and how...? I should mention that I was also always the weird kid when it came to music (really I was always the weird kid)... When everyone was listening to Spice Girls I was listening to completely different things like Zappa, Pink Floyd, Squirrel Nut Zippers and so fourth. No one understood my music choices and I really didn't care. I listened to what I liked and didn't let anyone influence me. I was pretty vocal about my disdain for popular music and how I didn't like being forced to like something because it was popular.

Well the #1 and #2 would probably be shared by these two albums...

cover.jpg

and

Squirrel_Nut_Zippers_-_Hot4.jpg

These two albums caused my addiction to Jazz. Blues was actually caused by a live performance that I saw by one Les Paul and his trio. And oh boy did that change my life, but that is neither here nor there, since it is not an album but a live performance. Not in that order though... I heard Hot first and then went on a mad search for more music like it and then stumbled onto Blue Train, and it is still one of my favorite albums of all time.

Probably next on the list of albums that greatly impacted my tastes in music was this gem:

Led+Zeppelin+IV++PNG.png

I for some reason don't think I need to explain that, unless you for some reason don't know the album art... And in case you don't it's Led Zeppelin IV...

After that...

album-The-Doors-The-Best-of-the-Doors.jpg

Yes yes... a "Best of" album... But honestly as the first CD I ever bought personally, and the just sheer awesome collection of Doors songs that all moved me in different ways from The Alabama Song to Riders on the Storm, I mean I can't not include it. Sure, I could find my favorite coherent Doors album, but really those aren't the ones that impacted me, this one was.

Really the last albums that changed me were several classical albums that were in my library that I regrettably never owned so I don't remember the exact ones. I do remember the composers naturally, but not the artists or the exact albums...They were classical works by Vivaldi (Four Seasons), Brahms Concerto works (can't remember which ones), and a collection of Beethoven's symphonies (If I recall it was 5 that really got to me). After learning about classical, funnily enough, through the Looney Toons, I felt compelled to find more, and boy, when I did, I fell in love. There was just a natural splendor to the music, and classical quickly became my go to music for relaxing or studying.

I'm sure I could go on. There are at least two Depeche Mode albums that have a special place in my heart and one Siouxie and the Banshees album that really impacted me, but not near as much as the ones I already mentioned. Those albums shaped how I listened to music, and each, in their own way, gave me new found appreciation for music. Then we have Zappa as well who I loved growing up, and some Nirvana (Particularly Never Mind) but really they didn't shape my tastes in music like the other ones already mentioned.

And btw, those are all from before I got into foreign music, which I won't even touch because I'll be here forever.

@ Kodokuna: Thanks for giving them a listen! I've always felt HoH needed more people to give them a try.

@ ivi: Fun fact, I actually based one of my OC's, Sky Sailing, on Adam (the name probably was a little obvious...)

I'm always interested in seeing how these things impact different people. Thanks for all your responses!

Alive+2007+Live+daftpunkalive2007419432.jpg

Daft Punk's Alive 2007 album.

Not only did it change my direction in taste for music, but also changed my lifestyle. For one, I never realized I liked dancing. I suck, of course, but listening to those beats, I couldn't help myself. This made me see life in much more positive way. Any time I feel down, I pop this CD in, and all my troubles melt away for that hour and twenty minutes. It blew my mind.

There are a lot of albums and bands that have helped shaped me, my taste in music, and kind of how I think, but none have had a more profound effect then "Live The Dream" a folk-punk album by Ramshackle Glory. I had been listening to the lead singer, Pat The Bunny, through various other projects he was in (i.e. Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains/The Wingnut Dishwashers Union) and his incredibly personal, usually poetic, and often hyper-critical lyrics had always struck a chord with me, showing a sense of genuine inspiration and honesty in what he writes, but I believe he has completely out-done himself with "Live The Dream", or with the band Ramshackle Glory as a whole, trying to show an honest struggle with the beliefs that he can't seem to shake and the positive messages he is trying to spread.

Its hard to describe the full effect this album, or band as a whole, has had on me, but I can honestly say that it forced me to look at myself and change who I am for the better. The themes in this album are so powerful - starting anew, bitterness, finding hope, stepping outside your beliefs, and to keep a hold on things when it seems at its worst - that they almost challenge the listener to seek a better route through life, to avoid the passive tendencies of letting the world walk on you, and to find hope in places you've been hesitant to look.. I can honestly say I've become a far more positive, happier, and sympathetic person having listened to this album.

The one song I would suggest for anyone to listen to is "Your Heart Is a Muscle The Size of Your Fist", because it is one of the most powerful and beautiful songs I've ever heard. Its a song of hope, of passion, of change, and knowing that you aren't alone when it seems like life can be a struggle. I was honestly tearing up during it and thats a very rare thing to happen.

The one thing I've been striving for since having listened to this album is to be more honest in my own writing (i.e. poems, lyrics, etc etc etc). I don't want to harp on the same generic topics, to criticize the things that seem safe to attack, I've been trying to look deeper into who I am, what I think, and where I'm going and I've been trying to bring that out. I admire Pat's lyrics and can only hope to coming even within a foreseeable distance to his.

tumblr_mbsrj8ZRZC1rh7zwzo1_cover.png

I don't have an album cover, but the soundtrack to Oh Brother Where Art Thou got me into bluegrass big time. I developed a love for country music, old blues, old spiritual, and anything with just a touch of twang, which lead me to learn about the origins of where the music came from. Heck, it even helped inspire a fan fic I wrote called The Private Scrapbook, which you can find here if you're interested: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/100158/the-private-scrapbook

Music never used to a huge part of my life and I didn't really define my "music taste" until I was around 13, but I still listened occasionally and now it is a very big part of my life, I couldn't really narrow albums that shaped me down to 1, so I'll go for 3.

The most recent one would probably have to be Bumpy Ride by The Hoosiers, I've been a big fan of them for a few years, but not until Bumpy Ride was I really impacted by an album, it had a delicious mix of both melancholy and uplifting music. Particularly "Who said anything (about falling in love)" and the single "Bumpy Ride". Either way, they're a great band, and they helped me get over a very difficult time in my life on two occasions. Both by helping me relate and by lifting my spirits.

Bumpy_Ride_%28Album%29.jpeg

I guess I'll do this in order of most recent to least recent, and I'm having a lot of trouble deciding which MUSE album to choose from here, but If I had to pick one It'd be Absolution almost purely because of "Hysteria", MUSE sounded very Unique when I first heard them, and at first I wasn't a fan at all, but as time went on I started loving them, and now I'm a big fan. As far as impact goes, they broadened my horizons by getting me interested in music that I found strange at first, and in the long run ended up influencing my own musical style, especially Chris Wolstenholme, the bassist, who had a big impact on my playing style.Muse_-_Absolution_Cover_UK.jpg

Please don't make me pick between all of the Queen albums. I love them all dearly, and they were what made me realize my interest in the older musical styles of the 70s and 80s, among others, and in doing that, they influenced how I viewed music in general, because they really sparked me to define my own preferences, instead of just listening to whatever. They also started my habit of sporadically breaking into song when I really ought not to. :razz: It all began with Bohemian Rhapsody, so take A Night At The Opera.

Queen_A_Night_At_The_Opera.png

• Like 1

Music never used to a huge part of my life and I didn't really define my "music taste" until I was around 13, but I still listened occasionally and now it is a very big part of my life, I couldn't really narrow albums that shaped me down to 1, so I'll go for 3.

The most recent one would probably have to be Bumpy Ride by The Hoosiers, I've been a big fan of them for a few years, but not until Bumpy Ride was I really impacted by an album, it had a delicious mix of both melancholy and uplifting music. Particularly "Who said anything (about falling in love)" and the single "Bumpy Ride". Either way, they're a great band, and they helped me get over a very difficult time in my life on two occasions. Both by helping me relate and by lifting my spirits.

Bumpy_Ride_%28Album%29.jpeg

I guess I'll do this in order of most recent to least recent, and I'm having a lot of trouble deciding which MUSE album to choose from here, but If I had to pick one It'd be Absolution almost purely because of "Hysteria", MUSE sounded very Unique when I first heard them, and at first I wasn't a fan at all, but as time went on I started loving them, and now I'm a big fan. As far as impact goes, they broadened my horizons by getting me interested in music that I found strange at first, and in the long run ended up influencing my own musical style, especially Chris Wolstenholme, the bassist, who had a big impact on my playing style.Muse_-_Absolution_Cover_UK.jpg

Please don't make me pick between all of the Queen albums. I love them all dearly, and they were what made me realize my interest in the older musical styles of the 70s and 80s, among others, and in doing that, they influenced how I viewed music in general, because they really sparked me to define my own preferences, instead of just listening to whatever. They also started my habit of sporadically breaking into song when I really ought not to. :razz: It all began with Bohemian Rhapsody, so take A Night At The Opera.

Queen_A_Night_At_The_Opera.png

Hoofbump towards Queen and the now-realized Hoosiers~

• Like 1

A very sadly overlooked album by a very sadly overlooked band in my opinion, The Remote Part is easily among my top albums of all time, and is without a shadow of a doubt the one that's had the most influence on me.

220px-Theremotepart.jpg

The song-writing is among the best I've heard in any modern music, Roddy Woomble is a genuinely astounding lyricist. The musical side is all very well crafted too, with songs of different paces and intensities, all of which have very deep and well worked melodies and grooves, displaying excellent instrumental skills. This album managed to come third in the UK charts, right behind Oasis' Heathen Chemistry (which I really can't stand, no offence to any Oasis fans out there) and RHCP's By The Way (and who could blame them for losing out to something like that?) which is impressive to say they were almost unheard of in mainstream music beforehand and returned to that same level of obscurity before splitting up. I don't know nearly as many bands that seem to put such a huge amount of heart into their work, while maintaining a sound that can really appeal to anyone. They're never too heavy or light, they're never too fast or slow, they manage to strike the balance as though they landed a coin on its edge. I found this album has provoked me into thought more times than any other, and on top of that it's been the gateway album to almost every other band that I listen to to this day. I don't doubt that if you listen to this album, you'll find something to take away from it, trust me.