Ever change your opinion on an episode long you saw it?

I was just messing around my house the other day when I discovered I had one of those troublesome ear-worms stuck in my head. It was one of the songs from the Season 3 finale, either A True True Friend or What My Cutie Mark is Telling me. I looked up the song on YouTube, listened to it, and wanted to hear more of the songs. That missing even MORE of the songs from the episode, so I just ended up finding all the songs from Magical Mystery Cure in one video. Towards the end of the songs, I realized that I rather missed the ENTIRE episode. I was fairly shocked by this realization as, when the episode initially aired, I was quite nearly appalled the episode, putting it in the very small list of episodes of MLP that "I didn't like at all." (I, in fact, had to MAKE that category specifically for the finale.) And yet, months after having seen the episode, I have a deep (but easily fixed) regret that I have not watched the episode more.

Has this happened to anyone else where they see an episode and they form an opinion on it (either good or bad). Then going back, and either watching it or thinking upon it, you cannot for the life of you figure out why you came to such an opinion?

Humorously enough, that was the very first episode of Friendship is Magic that I saw. I thought the episode was quite absurd and was rooting for Twilight the entire time. Not only did I not like that episode, it turned me off from watching more MLP until my friend convinced me to watch more a couple months later. I think now I can appreciate the episode more.

I have to say, the only episode I didn't really like the first time I saw it was Just for Sidekicks; I thought it was the worst episode of the entire generation when it came out. Now that I've watched it a couple more times, I feel like I have a better understanding, and therefore, a better appreciation, of the episode. While I no longer dislike it, though, I still don't think as highly of it as quite a few others, but I can at least still say that there isn't a single episode this generation that I don't like. :P

Humorously enough, that was the very first episode of Friendship is Magic that I saw. I thought the episode was quite absurd and was rooting for Twilight the entire time. Not only did I not like that episode, it turned me off from watching more MLP until my friend convinced me to watch more a couple months later. I think now I can appreciate the episode more.

You're welcome.

@shadowmage

Yeah same here in that it almost turned me off from watching more. After re watching half of season one, recently, I remember why I disliked it. I was rooting for twilight, because just recently she had proved that there are sensible and scientific solutions to everything like in the episode with the poison joke. So I assumed that in this one she would too but nope.

the reason my opinion changed was because after watching the rest of season 1-3, I realized its pinkie pie being pinkie pie. By episode 15 I didn't think she was that weird. I just thought she was crazy. Also I like how much twilight gets beat up. I thought this was a just girls show, and here we have this pony getting flattened by pianos and falling into cellars. Not what I thought I would find in a girl's tv show

Also I like how much twilight gets beat up. I thought this was a just girls show, and here we have this pony getting flattened by pianos and falling into cellars. Not what I thought I would find in a girl's tv show

One thing that shocked me when I was getting into the show was how much Friendship is Magic pulled on old cartoons like Looney Tunes and the like. That whole random falling items shtick is STRAIGHT out of Looney Tunes, with an homage or two to Pepe le Pew. Gosh I feel old knowing that stuff. D:

Nah, Spike at your Service is probably the worst of the lot, worst from all of the season as a whole. I don't know who wrote the story until it became like a Spongebob episode, but from the looks of it, it's one ugly episode that I'll never watch again. Still keep it but will not dare to touch it again.

Well, ShadowMage, ever since I saw G4, it may bring back memories of G1 but I still prefer G1, like the Brony Chronicles documentary said about them when it comes to the character developments and drawing style, that's ok, overall quality has not been up to standard till today and even our technology were still using old desaturated colours for the CRT TVs and 4:3 ratio. At least what I love the most is the storylines are darker than deeper than G4. The only dark episode I find it menacing enough is the Nightmare Moon episodes.

Probably Stare Master and Show Stoppers. I found the CMC annoying in those episodes the first time. They are still annoying but more tolerable once you come to like the characters

Interesting, especially I find them tend to be disobeying kids in Stare Master. But what's crucial is in Show Stoppers, never my favorite episodes including when they play the rock concert music, I'll remain speechless rather than laugh at them. Honestly, I don't find them funny or stupid or clowny, I'm just speechless and don't know what to say. If I were there in person, I'll just say WTH did you do to yourself?

The Cutie Mark Crusader theme song was EXCRUUUUUUUUUUUUUCIATING, but I've grown to lo-....lik-....tolera-.....Well I can listen to the remixes just fine!

I love the CMC but show stoppers is just....blech. Not bad, per se, but not one I particularly like, either.

It may not be an episode but it was a song, the Smile (3x) song.

It was those moments where I was like "Oh... She's... singing.... -_-" But now it is one of my favorite songs and makes me very happy. :)

The Cutie Mark Crusader theme song was EXCRUUUUUUUUUUUUUCIATING, but I've grown to lo-....lik-....tolera-.....Well I can listen to the remixes just fine!

I love the CMC but show stoppers is just....blech. Not bad, per se, but not one I particularly like, either.

Agreed, why would anyone want to hate the CMCs, it's just the rock music is something that makes me feel uncomfortable. These girls are not young rock stars raised by rebellious rock gothic parents.

Before Heart's and Hooves day, I didn't like the CMC or any of their episodes, including appleblooms, but now I love the trio, and their episodes.

Many of Pinkies episodes didn't fly for me on first watch, but now I like them.

This unfortunately works in reverse as well for me. I've been slowing going off Rainbow Dash for a while, to the point where Wonderbolts academy is the only episode of Season 3 I've only finished one time.

This unfortunately works in reverse as well for me. I've been slowing going off Rainbow Dash for a while, to the point where Wonderbolts academy is the only episode of Season 3 I've only finished one time.

I would suggest watching the Sleepless in Ponyville episode if you already haven't finished it. And even if you have, Rewatch it! That was the VERY specific episode that made me start to like Rainbow Dash. Up until that point she seemed a very one dimensional character with only her skill and show-off-ed-ness going for her. After Sleepless...well...I just liked the episode a lot.

I would suggest watching the Sleepless in Ponyville episode if you already haven't finished it. And even if you have, Rewatch it! That was the VERY specific episode that made me start to like Rainbow Dash. Up until that point she seemed a very one dimensional character with only her skill and show-off-ed-ness going for her. After Sleepless...well...I just liked the episode a lot.

Read it and Weep and Hurricane Fluttershy also have some obvious depth added to her character

Sleepless was very good. But it was never about Rainbow dash, it was about Scootaloo, I loved that episode. All the episodes about the CMC members have been great since the end of season 2.

(Hurricane Fluttershy had a very weird feel to me, like they wrote the RD parts for a different character, but then changed it for thematic purposes. We know this sometimes happens, Spike at your service was going to be a Rarity episode at one point)

Spike at your Service is more on Applejack & Spike actually, but even still, whoever wrote the story is very wrong and very poor.

Hurricane Fluttershy is still kind of ok, not the best when she is slightly forced to help RD. But the title wise, it is kind of controversial due to Katrina & Sandy.

Sleepless was very good. But it was never about Rainbow dash, it was about Scootaloo, I loved that episode. All the episodes about the CMC members have been great since the end of season 2.

(Hurricane Fluttershy had a very weird feel to me, like they wrote the RD parts for a different character, but then changed it for thematic purposes. We know this sometimes happens, Spike at your service was going to be a Rarity episode at one point)

Hurricane Fluttershy fits in well if you watch Rainbow Dash episodes leading up to it. May the Best Pet Win shows her deciding against the coolest pet to stand with one that was loyal and tried hard. [colour=#000000]The Mysterious Mare Do Well taught Dash humility. Read it and Weep taught Dash that she doesn't have to fit inside a narrow box she has created for herself. The build up for her to Hurricane Fluttershy makes sense. In that episode Dash takes on a drill sergeant type role but her demands are reasonable and she shows a huge amount of sensitivity towards Fluttershy that reflects what she has learned. The episode also builds on Fluttershy's episode earlier in that season in that she doesn't let Rainbow Dash push her around and stands up for her right to not participate. [/colour]

[colour=#000000]A shame in the series is that there are character arcs, but they often are ignored if that character is not a major part of the story. Pinkie Pie especially suffers from this becoming incredibly shallow anytime she is not in the spotlight. [/colour]