Friendship is Magic Issue #8

Random thoughts:

• Seeing that we saw old Luna morph into new Luna near the end, it's safe to say that the comics won't follow chronological order period.
  • I really liked the villains from the last arc better. Then again, I rather like changelings so meh.
  • Hooray for Babs cameo!

Overall, I preferred Issues 1-4, but hey, you can't win them all. :P

Comic_issue_8_cover_RI.jpg

Eh...

Disappointments all around.

The Nightmare said that there was a reason why she chose Rarity over the rest of the ponies, but she never revealed it.

Also, Nightmare Rarity seemed promising as a great villain overall, but fell short. She promised chaos, yet she never even physically injured a single citizen pony.

To me, the spotlight was on Spike, and that's not bad. The panels featuring Spike was quite emotional.

How they reform Rarity was actually a touching scene too.

As Bellosh said above, the first arc was clearly the best.

To anyone who has read it, did anyone think that the creatures in the end were homosexuals?

Also, bows.

What ive seen:

Ponied are surprisingly combat capable, well at least the citizens of ponyville.

Big Mac: "By the mane of Miyagi!"

Was Dr. Whooved fiddling with a sonic screwdriver?

On Kodokuna's point about nightmare rarity, not hurting anyone.

1. Why would she hurt someone whrn she had an army.

2. A villain does need to take action to prove they are a threat for the sake of plot. She dropped Luna effortlessly, so goal accomplished.

3. Remember that this is MLP. The ponies most active in the fight were scuffed, bruised, had damaged clothed and cracked glassed/goggled. Octavias cello was even broken. Thats about as hurt as anyponys going to get unless they give the comic license to like marvel and up the rating to teen-adult.

On the other point about how it wasnt explained why she chose rarity. Im pretty sure it was alluded to twice then said by rarity. So we know exactly why Rarity was chosen.

The Nightmare didnt have to spoon feed those things to us. They were incorporated organically.

Overall I enjoyed both arcs equally for different reasons. I cant pick a best.

Arc one was a nice adventure, chrissy was charismatic and devious and thier was a nice team dynamic.

Arc two had ramped up danger, a much more personal story on two fronts, pinkie being a genius, a nice bit of characterization for luna rarity and spike.

My only question... When the heck does this take place? My ides is that the arcs arent in chronological order. Also conflicts with Luna Eclipsed.

What ive seen:

Ponied are surprisingly combat capable, well at least the citizens of ponyville.

Big Mac: "By the mane of Miyagi!"

Was Dr. Whooved fiddling with a sonic screwdriver?

On Kodokuna's point about nightmare rarity, not hurting anyone.

1. Why would she hurt someone whrn she had an army.

2. A villain does need to take action to prove they are a threat for the sake of plot. She dropped Luna effortlessly, so goal accomplished.

3. Remember that this is MLP. The ponies most active in the fight were scuffed, bruised, had damaged clothed and cracked glassed/goggled. Octavias cello was even broken. Thats about as hurt as anyponys going to get unless they give the comic license to like marvel and up the rating to teen-adult.

On the other point that it wasnt explained why she chose rarity

Lol, yeah that was a sonic screwdriver.

As for the Nightmare Rarity:

1. Because the Nightmare isn't like that. Although she had an army when hosted into Luna, the Nightmare chose to attack Ponyville alone. It's part of her pride.

2. Again, her pride personality. She's not the type to simply brag about how she personally is going to bring havoc to Ponyville, and simply just watch, hiding.

3. One word: Chrysalis

IDW_Comic_Kitten_CMC_Queen_Chrysalis.jpeg

I enjoyed it...Saw the ending a mile away.. But I still liked it... Nice to see Trixie kick some hinder for the side of good.

Some interesting news about the MLP comic..Or at least facts...

(From Ted Adams who is IDW's CEO)

We like to look at demographic concentration or breadth. We’ve had some times the last 15 years when there’s been great breadth--when manga brought in a lot of girls, for example. What are your thoughts on the question of who’s buying comics?

"Looking at us specifically, if you look at the success we’ve had with My Little Pony since we launched last November, it’s extraordinary. That’s a comic that has performed in every channel; the direct market has done gangbusters with it. The first issue’s probably at the fifth or six printing. The e-book sales, both in the apps and iBook store have been incredible. The number of books that we’ve sold in the ebook format have been astonishing with My Little Pony, and we have a big order from Scholastic. It’s going to be in Scholastic book clubs and book fairs this fall. Clearly that’s a book that’s not aimed at what you would think of as your traditional comic book customer. It’s not a comic book intended for guys in their 30s and 40s. Just looking at us alone, it shows that there’s a much more diverse customer base for our product that there was 12 months ago or a couple of years ago

You said it’s not directed at males in their 30s and 40s, but isn’t that who’s buying it?

Certainly there’s a little bit of that, there’s no question that there’s an older fan base for Ponies. There are also lots of kids reading those books. The Scholastic purchase is 100% going to kids. My suspicion is that the eBooks are going to kids; the direct market sales are driven somewhat from the older audience. We also hear a lot that guys are buying it for their kids and kids are coming in and discovering it on their own."

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/26031.html

• 4 weeks later...

Meh, I enjoyed the first arc better than the second.

With that out of the way, I still enjoyed the second arc. It was too predictable, and it felt a little slow, but otherwise enjoyable.

Now if we can see more of those moon creatures...

• 4 weeks later...