Royal Greetings (Open: Throne Room)

SteelEagle

Twilight Sparkle had many duties to attend to in the first ever Grand Galloping Gala since she had become an Equestrian Princess. Some of them were of a high class and demanded that she put forth the best face she could as a duty as Royalty, helping to usher in what promised to be the first Gala of many she would help lead. Others had more to do with her own desires and making sure that she did her best to make sure her friends and those who were attending for the first time didn't make the mistake she had made what seemed like ages ago. Sure, she had spent considerable time getting the Gala to be opened up which even as a Princess was considerably difficult, seeing as Canterlot was a city of social circles and the Gala was their biggest and most treasured event. But that didn't mean it was suddenly the easiest experience for the new and uninitiated.

Perhaps that went double for her. She had yet to make many public appearances as a Princess and while she had gotten over a good bit of her trepidation and uncertainty about the role she occupied had dissipated the one obstacle that remained was committing to a more formal attitude when dealing with so many ponies and having such an overwhelmingly central role. It was a daunting task and there was little one could do to practice- experience was the greatest teacher, doubly so when education on a topic yielded little. Besides, poor Spike's hand would have fallen off had it been shaken once more. But she was not alone in her duty, and her mentor would join her. Princess Celestia was not just the ruler of the land but the pony who had experience Gala in it's grandeur since before she had been born- since before her parents had been! If anypony was a role model for behavior, it'd be her.

"Ah, ah, well, I think it's time to get this started..." Twilight whispered as she stood at the top of the staircase, where there was still ample room for two. It was such a small difference. She had been here shaking hooves and greeting people before, but now it was a responsibility and something she'd have to get used to. She nodded towards her mentor.

"I mean, right? It's time. Right?" She bit her lip, wondering why she was growing so antsy about this. She shook her head and signalled to the guards resolutely. Yes, it was time. Time for Twilight to assume a new responsibility, time for her to meet and greet and rub hooves with the highest in the land. It was time for the Gala!

The Gala, the biggest event in Canterlot, and one of the duties that Celestia didn't always particularly enjoy attending. It always seemed to be an awful humdrum affair. She still always did her duty and greeted with the guests and hobnobbed with the ponies that took the time to attend. It always made her happy that not everyone who attended the Gala were always Canterlot elite, and not only that but lasting friendships always seemed to be forged. This Gala however felt different. It wasn't just the inclusion of a dance party hall in addition to the ballroom, with popular DJ Vinyl Scratch, or a far more open attending list. No, this year was a very special year for Celestia, for it was the year that her student stood with her, not as her student wishing to spend time with her, but as an equal as the newest princess of Equestria.

Celestia was composed as always waiting for it to be time to open the doors. She looked at her student who was obviously nervous in her new position, despite having greeted guests with her before. However Celestia also knew that it was Twilight's first public appearance since the coronation.

"Ah, ah, well, I think it's time to get this started..." Twilight whispered as she stood at the top of the staircase, where there was still ample room for two. It was such a small difference. She had been here shaking hooves and greeting people before, but now it was a responsibility and something she'd have to get used to. She nodded towards her mentor.

"I mean, right? It's time. Right?" She bit her lip, wondering why she was growing so antsy about this. She shook her head and signalled to the guards resolutely. Yes, it was time. Time for Twilight to assume a new responsibility, time for her to meet and greet and rub hooves with the highest in the land. It was time for the Gala!

Celestia looked at her student and nodded. "Yes, it is indeed time, Princess Twilight Sparkle." Twilight looking rather flustered and biting her lip. Celestia put her hoof on Twilight gently and whispered "You're ready for this my faithful student. Just relax, and you'll do fine." Celestia said with a light smile. "Oh and try not to allow your hoof to get too tired with all the hoof-shaking." Celestia joked with her student, trying to diffuse the tension that was built up within her.

When Twilight nodded to the guards they opened the doors, and the Grand Galloping Gala had officially begun.

flimflam_logo_by_snapai-d4nvwlw.png

The twin lanky unicorn stallions entered into the castle, smiling as they walked and whispered together.

"Say Flam, remind me again how you got us these tickets to this wonderful event?"

"It was simple, Flim, I acquired our tickets through my unbeatable charm and gentle persuation."

"You, bought them from Black Market Bluto, didn't you?"

"Er.. nevermind dear brother, the important thing is, we're HERE! And look over there!"

"Ah! It's Twilight Sparkle! We haven't seen her now that she's a Princess."

"She's royalty, and she's ... single."

"Egad dear brother, are you implying what I think you are?"

"One of us could become a Prince if we got hitched to her."

"Brilliant idea! We have no chance with Celestia, she's older than time itself, but since her brother married royalty, perhaps one of us can charm her off her hooves?"

"What are we waiting for, brother of mine? Let's go for it! What do we have to lose?"

Flim and Flam straightened their bowties and straw hats as they slowly approached Equestria's newest Princess and her mentor.

"Greetings, dear Princess Celestia and Princess Twilight Sparkle," the mustached brother said politely as he bowed to them.

"You both look as ravishing as ever," added Flim as he bowed to them.

Ponies from everywhere were streaming into Canterlot for the Grand Galloping Gala, but for Lore Weaver, it was like coming home. Even though the purple unicorn had found his place in Ponyville with a new business, new friends, and new experiences, the stallion never forgot his hometown. He knew first hoof of the amazing events the city had, but none was more amazing than the Grand Galloping Gala. He never went to one as the Gala was noted to be an event that while fancy was very elitist and stiff, not the kind of place he'd fancy being at. Yet now he learned that the Gala had evolved into something different, open to all ponies, and he wasn't going to pass up such an event!

His first stop was to the grand staircase in the throne room, a place he had heard about but never seen. Upon stepping inside he marveled at the grandeur of the castle with its marble walls and columns, stained glass windows depicting important events in Equestria's history, and not to mention the throne in which Princess Celestia sat. There on the staircase was none other than Princess Celestia and Princess Twilight Sparkle. Although he was accustomed to seeing one Princess in Ponyville, namely Twilight who lived across the street from his shop, having two Princesses in attendance was certainly a real treat.

And so Lore Weaver waited as two ponies ahead of him greeted the Princesses, two very familiar ponies that Lore couldn't quite tell where he knew them.

52njo0.jpg

Some attendees of the Grand Galloping Gala came from places more far and wide than most ponies imagine. In the case of Zeti, chieftain of a proud tribe of highland zebras, she had to cross the Sparkling Sea to get all the way from Unyasi to Equestria. For much of her life, Chief Zeti had a fascination with learning all she could about the distant lands to the north, and always planned on making a voyage to Equestria when it came time for her to pass over the reigns of her rule to her daughter.

What the aging zebra didn’t count on however was Equestria getting a fourth princess; the third new ruler (counting the returning Luna) within mere decades. Apparently, the newest coronation up north triggered a desire for an extra-special Grand Galloping Gala; one open to all its citizens. The zebras traditionally sent various dignitaries for the annual occasion, but considering the special circumstances, it had been agreed on by various Unyasan sages that this year, one with an extra-special desire to experience the mysterious wonders of Equestria should accompany the mission to the north continent… and that zebra happened to be no other than Zeti.

The elder mare may not have been in precisely the best shape for a long voyage… but it wasn’t like she was getting younger either. Regarding her voyage abroad as a final trial of sorts for her daughter’s leadership abilities, Chief Zeti figured she had a perfect excuse to make her Equestria trip earlier than foreseen. Thanks to her ever-dominant willpower and good spirits, the old zebra actually fared especially well on the long trip to Canterlot.

By the night of the Gala, Zeti had already much to say about her experiences so far, and especially of her time at the Baltimare Boardtrot. For this night, the chief wore along with her typical jewelry the ornate red ceremonial robes she’d typically wear for special occasions back home. And instead of her usual humble wood cane, the old mare used a more ornate and smooth staff. Such did Zeti look like as she made her way to the Throne Room, waiting in line for a chance to finally meet the alicorns she’s heard so much about… and knows so little about for that matter.....

Twilight wasn't somepony with a poor memory, and while she easily forgave she didn't see fit to forget unless thee was some great cause. As Flim and Flam moved to greet the Princesses, Twilight summoned up all her willpower. She wasn't going to berate them here for their horrid attitudes and personalities and ability to carelessly attempt to destroy anypony in their pursuit of riches and accolades. But still, she had a duty and she'd go about it to the best of her ability even if the prospect of turning them into frogs wasn't a poor one to consider. Or favor. Still, she offered her hoof and returned a very small bow out of respect of the role, if not the ponies in front of her.

"Welcome to the Grand Galloping Gala-" She began, offering her hoof to Flim just as he went and complimented them too sweetly on how they appeared. Coming from other ponies it would be a bit much and silly, if nice enough. Coming from these two it was a bit annoying, but she wouldn't let it show.

"Well, coming from stallions such as yourselves that's a wonderful compliment. I hope you enjoy the Gala, Flim and Flam," Twilight shook both their hooves with a great deal of restraint. She then nodded towards the next pony.

Celestia had never met the first guests before, however she had heard about them from various sources, including Twilight and her friends after an unfortunate visit to Ponyville. Celestia wasn't one to see the worst in ponies but rather the best, so she chose to greet them in good faith as if they were any other guest, despite their unscrupulous reputation. When Twilight greeted them she saw her act with dignity and grace as a princess should despite their past. Celestia nodded in approval to her pupil's demeanor.

"Welcome to the Grand Galloping Gala. It is a pleasure to have you here. Please enjoy yourselves." Celestia welcomed the brothers as she extended her hoof. "And thank you for your kind compliment." Celestia smiled.

Celestia looked who was behind them and saw an elderly zebra. This certainly was a better way to run the Gala, Celestia was expecting to meet many different guests.

"You are quite welcome, your highness," Flim said as he shook Twilight's hoof. "I hope to see more of you tonight, and in the days to come."

As Flim retreated, Flam tried to turn HIS charm on the Princess.

"You are so charming, your grace. I'm told stallions with mustaches make better mates," Flam said before the duo were greeted by Princess Celestia and responded to her words.

"I can think of no higher honor than just being in your presence," Flim said with a smile before his unicorn brother crowded him out of the way.

"Princess Celestia! Your photos do not do you justice!" Flam added before he joined his brother on the other side of the room.

"That's step 1, brother of mine, now we have to find a way to socialize with Twilight Sparkle further."

"I agree, but how will we accomplish this? She and Celestia's going to be meeting and greeting other guests all night!"

"Leave it to me, Flam. I'll think of something, I always do."

"Romancing a Princess is not an easy task. Perhaps we should give up."

"We'll do nothing of the kind. I know I can sweep that filly off her hooves, if you are reluctant, then I shall take the lead."

"Fine by me, Flim, but there's still the matter of making her fall in love with you."

"I have an ace up my sleeve, Flam. Just need to wait for the right moment...:"

Lore Weaver watched as the two brothers greeted the two Princesses. Clearly the two were flattering the Alicorns maybe even flirting with Twilight Sparkle. But the two ponies said their words and then left, making Lore's turn to greet the two royal ponies. Being formerly from Canterlot, Lore had seen Celestia at events but never had the opportunity to meet her personally like this. With Princess Twilight he had seen her while living in Ponyville.

"Greetings Princess Twilight Sparkle and Princess Celestia," he said with a customary bow, "I am Lore Weaver, formerly from Canterlot and now residing in Ponyville. It is an honor to meet your acquaintances."

A deep thump could be heard from outside, repeating at irregular intervals. With each repeat, it got louder. Finally, a voice came from just outside the door.

"Note to self... Put wheels on this thing next time." There were several clangs, and the voice came again. "Don't tell me I left the coal at home... Urgh..."

If anyone was to to check to see what was going on, they would find a lime green unicorn poking all around a large organ-like musical instrument. The one thing that stood out the most would be the fact a boiler was attached to one side, compleate with smoke and fire boxes, and with a saddle tank atop it.

Silverbolt slowly trotted into the throne room, taking a deep breath as he joined the queue. He had never been to the castle or the Gala before in his life. He caught a glimpse of two unicorns he knew from a prior encounter at the kissing booth at Sweet Apple Acres. He took a few more deep breaths, centering himself as he heard the thumping outside. "Calm down, they can't pull anything here. Ignore them, and have a good time.", he whispered to himself as he fluttered his wings lightly. It wasn't every day you got to meet even one Princess, let alone two!

Twilight Sparkle had been practicing many different spells, most of which were explicitly banned from most texts as they were dimply too dangerous and difficult to pull off safely. She did it more to prove to herself that she could do it, and who knew when any of the hundreds of spells she had learned over her brief time learning would come in handy? Her capability was great. The only thing greater was her very royal restraint, as she used every fiber of it to hold bck from unleashing some arcane vengeance on Flim and Flam as their rude and crude posteriors walked away. How DARE they speak to Celestia like they had! Maybe if it had been a normal pony, Twiight wouldn't have cared at all. But knowing who they were and what they did...she wanted to turn the pair of them into sentient rocks and have Applejack practice her kicks on them for a few months.

But again, restraint, which was why she appeared just as cheeky for the next pony. She knew Lore Weaver well enough, processing his application to her magic camps as the days went by. He was a good stallion, and Twilight was pleased to see him arrive.

"Welcome, Lore Weaver! It's nice to see you here," She shook his hoof, "please, take the time to explore the Gaa and have a great time."

Razor felt that, even though it was probably unnecessary, to give some greeting to the ruler of Equestria. He was after all living in her land, if much to his discomfort. Never the less he felt sick to his stomach, more so out of nervousness and an uncertain feeling that this was a mistake ready to be made.

"Mom...you owe me big for this stress. Not to mention boredom." He said to himself. While he felt sure his mothers....."suggestion" that he come here was another plot to get him hitched, he had no such plans.

"Just get in. Say hello, grab a drink. Hide. I can say I attended with honesty, keep my honor, and avoid embarrassment all in one blow. Perfect plan." He said to himself, taking a deep breath.

He watched as the line moved on. He was glad this was going to be quick. He felt like all the eyes of those behind him were mocking him....he was the shortest griffon to...well perhaps ever be here. He took to adjusting the vest he wore, which bore his nations crest and making sure his cloak, and the cloak, which was short enough to look both regal and stunning, but not to get in the way of his wings. He hopped that his sister and Rarity both were good on their word that this looked good on him....though frankly he didn't feel it did.

'Did they have to add in the silver pseudo feathers. My wings itch.' He thought, looking at the thin silver feathers that were inserted and fit snuggly between his real ones. The pseudowings were so well attatched that they looked to be part of the flying limbs.

When he saw Celestia, he took a deep breath to calm his nerves. Don't get angry over something. Stay calm, and collected. Don't do anything stupid. He repeated this to himself, but he couldn't fight the feeling of nervousness. He never really felt comfortable around royalty. Though he would give her the honors that were due her.

'Who is the other mare beside her?' He thought, scratching his beak. Was she also a princess?

'Daughter? no no. Niece maybe? Cousin perhaps. Sister.....unlikely.' He thought, 'important. Highly probably.'

Having lived for a thousand years, Celestia was no stranger to compliments or suitors for her hoof in marriage. However she never had a pair try to do such antics at such an event or quite like the brothers had propositioned her faithful student. It was rather brazen and slightly jarring to Celestia. She payed it no mind so long as no incident was started from their words or actions. Celestia knew their reputation and was worried for Twilight's sake whom the brothers directed their efforts towards.

"I can think of no higher honor than just being in your presence," Flim said with a smile before his unicorn brother crowded him out of the way.

"Princess Celestia! Your photos do not do you justice!" Flam added before he joined his brother on the other side of the room.

Celestia smiled and nodded at the compliments and directed her attention towards Twilight whom seemed a bit miffed at the encounter as well as the next guest in line. Lore Weaver made his introduction.

"Greetings Princess Twilight Sparkle and Princess Celestia," he said with a customary bow, "I am Lore Weaver, formerly from Canterlot and now residing in Ponyville. It is an honor to meet your acquaintances."

Celestia graciously returned the bow. "Greetings to you as well Lore Weaver." Celestia said shaking his hoof. Noticing that his presence slightly relaxed her student. "The pleasure is mine. I do so hope you enjoy yourself at this year's gala."

Celestia looked over at her student whom seemed a bit calmed after greeting Lore Weaver, for that she was thankful. Greeting everypony graciously was an arduous job, especially if you have many ponies whom you do not wish to converse with coming to greet you. You cannot shirk anypony and must always act with grace, and though Celestia had the utmost faith in her student, she was still getting used to being a princess and still learning to act as one. Lore Weaver's arrival was opportune as it took the edge off Twilight's previous encounter which Celestia was thankful for.

Flam noticed Calliope Steammusic trying to move her huge musical instrument into the throne room. Giving up his pursuit of the Princesses, the lanky unicorn stallion galloped over to help the young mare.

"Pardon me miss, but I now see, your in a calamity. Let me help you through the door, my name is Flam, could you tell me MORE...." he sang as he started to pull on one end of the device with his levitation horn magic. Meanwhile, Flim got impatient and decided to execute his 'master plan' solo.

"I should've know my brother wouldn't want to go through with this," the unicorn brother muttered to himself as he produced a vile of purple liquid from his vest. "I'll MAKE one of those Princesses fall in love with me. I mixed up this love potion I read from a book! All I have to do is get one of them to drink it with me and then they'll be MINE forever! It's a foolproof plan!"

Flim quickly poured the mixture into two goblets he had 'found' in another part of the castle. He then set them on a tray and levitated upward as he walked back towards Princess Celestia and Princess Twilight.

"Your majesty, Princess Twilight, would you care to share a drink of this refreshing punch with me? I KNOW you will love it!"

Don't worry, Flim mixed up the 'love potion' incorrectly. Even if he managed to drink some of it with a mare, it'd have no effect on her. It will, however, have a very noticable effect on FLIM when he drinks it

Lore Weaver was happy to see Twilight relax a little when he introduced himself. Part of him wondered if the newly minted Alicorn would remember him considering the dozens of ponies that Twilight must be encountering on a daily basis, especially now that she was royalty.

Thanks," the stallion replied to both Princess Celestia and Twilight, "I hope that you two will enjoy yourselves and have a good time as well."

Before he could say anymore, one of the two unicorns that once was ahead of him returned carrying two glasses. Lore didn't see the two of causing harm, and the cream colored pony would be a fool to do so in front of two of the most powerful ponies in Equestria. Still, the stallion had a feeling that this unicorn named Flim was trying to flirt with the Princess. He stood back and waited to see how Twilight or Princess Celestia would respond.

Flam noticed Calliope Steammusic trying to move her huge musical instrument into the throne room. Giving up his pursuit of the Princesses, the lanky unicorn stallion galloped over to help the young mare.

"Pardon me miss, but I now see, your in a calamity. Let me help you through the door, my name is Flam, could you tell me MORE...." he sang as he started to pull on one end of the device with his levitation horn magic.

"Thanks for the help, but I'm actually good here, at least for the moment. I needed it four hours ago actually. Never did get it. My back is going to kill me tomorrow..." Caliope checked behind a few more doors before continuing."I do seem to have left the coal at home though. Do you happen to know where I can find some?" She sighed "I probably should have waited until I got here to put the water in though."

52njo0.jpg

Once the purple unicorn had his turn, Cheif Zeti finally got her first real glimpse at Princess Celestia and Princess Twilight. The alicorn to get most of Zeti’s awe was Celestia, who looked as every bit majestic as the zebra read and heard. Aside from the lack of time’s ravages on the pearly pink alicorn, Zeti couldn’t help but marvel at Celestia’s aura-filled mane; the likes of which the old zebra mare had never seen before with her eyes. And given that Zeti has lived long enough to witness many marvellous things by now, it was indeed genuinely hard these days to make her gasp in utter amazement.

Chief Zeti came very close to doing so had she not maintained her decorum, but her widened eyes revealed her true emotions. As for the smaller princess at Celestia’s side, the old zebra felt rather reminded of her own daughter back home on Mt. Vukizo, leading their tribe in Zeti’s absence. While the chieftain knew for certain that Celestia and Twilight were not mother and daughter, Zeti couldn’t help ponder about if such a dynamic existed between the two ponies, and whether the young Twilight Sparkle would eventually be groomed to take the elder alicorn’s place. Being an old mare on the verge of retirement, Zeti guessed that even a mare so seemingly timeless as Celestia couldn't hope to rule over her land forever… just like how Zeti herself intended to pass the torch of leadership along sooner or later.

The zebra’s musings temporarily ceased when the proper time came to give her greetings to the two princesses. “It’s a most wonderful honor... to meet the two of you at last,” Zeti’s strained voice rang out as the aging mare stepped forward (with help from her tall staff), eloquently dipping her head towards the alicorns instead of bowing down like the other ponies; “I am Zeti, chief of the Vukizo tribe in the Unyasan highlands. On behalf of all the peoples of Unyasi, I wish for peace and happiness… throughout the entire land.....”

Twilight's gaze fell next on the zebra who approached. Unlike some others, Twilight knew a fair bit about her. It came with the territory of being a Princess...and an egghead. She had access to the full range of diplomatic discourse and the information of a thousand years of diplomacy and history during Celestia's reign and much of her time had been spent familiarizing herself with even the most obscure texts as well as in-depth dossiers on the diplomats, royals, and other high-value creatures from across the known world whom she would be dealing with on a daily basis soon enough. In fact, it had taken up valuable mental real estate as her studies on magic ran up aground on mysterious shores in her intellect and required epic creation rather than perfection of processes that had come before. That would require such enormous effort that for the time she was happy to shore up her duties as a princess, and she was more than pleased to see Zeti approach.

Zeti's dossier wasn't quite as large as some of the others which made it a quick read, but not without being remarkable in some ways. Unlike some of the other diplomats she read up on, she had arrived in Equestria not too long ago, A fresh face, if an elderly one, in a sea of nations and bloodlines that Equestria knew in and out. She and her tribe heralded from the mysterious Mount Vukizo region, where only a hoofull of Equestrians had gone before and fewer still shared what they had learned there. It was apparently a very pretty region, but what interested Twilight more was the tribe that called it home. The Vukizo were a tribe of pastoral cattle herders, and yet they sent a dignitary all the way to Equestria! For a tribe that didn't seemingly have much in the way of pull in Unyasi or influence abroad, they certainly must have had big dreams. Zeti herself may have been passed off a simple wise-woman by most ponies, but she had quite the trickster's heart- reminded her of Granny Smith, in a fashion. A treat to have.

"Welcome to the Gala, Balozi Zetti. It's an honor to meet somep- somezebra from a tribe I have never met! I'll be really excited to learn everything I can about your tribe," Twilight said, returning the slight bow as she took the hoof not on the walking stick and shook it, "and we return the wish for peace and happiness as well, Balozi."

It was then that she noticed Flim making his idiotic move. It would be funny if it weren't so bone-headed and a time waster for all the ponies at the gala, which only further served to illustrate how unbelievably selfish the brothers were. Twilight was not a fool, and she knew better than to trust the Flim Flam brothers. And to make it worse, they were something of a nuisance. She could call a guard over but it seemed a waste as she had a perfectly acceptable ability to handle it. As the goblets levitated towards the Princesses, Twilight's horn glowed dimly for a brief moment of time as she analyzed the compounds. So, Flim was trying a love potion out? It was amatuerish work. It would simply be ineffective on both Princesses', but the gall was remarkable. She smirked.

"Oh, how kind of you Flim. I drank before we started but I am sure these guards are parched. Guards, anypony thirsty?"

Flim acted quickly to prevent anyone else from sharing his punch.

"Oh no no no, Princess Twilight Sparkle," the grinning unicorn said as he levitated the two goblets in the air, floating one towards the purple alicorn. "This punch is especially for YOU!"

As his brother was getting closer to his 'goal,' Flam was happy helping Calliope Steammusic out, using his horn magic to produce a bucket of coal for her.

"There you are my dear, the coal you need is here!" the mustached unicorn stalllion sang. It felt good to help others, even without being paid for it. Then Flam turned to see his brother preparing to give the poison potion to Twilight, a horrifying sight. Flim had joked to him days before about using the potion as part of their plans, but he never thought his brother would actually go through with it. Flam was all for trying to win the affection of a Princess, but not THIS way.

"FLIM! STOP! DON'T DO IT!" the mustached brother shouted as at that precise moment, a firecracker rocket flew through one of the many open windows in the room and collided with Flim, knocking him to the floor and sending the two floating goblets down upon him, spilling their contents on the stunned lanky unicorn. A blast of Flam's magical horn made the rocket stop and drop harmlessly to the floor. When Flim stood up, something odd was happening to him.

"Egad! How did that thing fly in... here..." Flim uttered, his speech now beginning to slow as the lanky unicorn began to turn to stone in front of his stunned brother's eyes.

"OH NO! FLIM!" Flam neighed as now, his brother's legs were slowly transforming to stone. "I told you not to do this... gotta stop it now!"

Flam's horn glowed as he sent several magical blasts towards Flim, but to no avail. Flam kept trying to save his brother until exhaustion caused him to collaspe to the floor. He then looked up at the Princesses and started to plead.

"Please your majesties, I beg you! Save Flim! I know what he tried to do was evil, but he doesn't deserve this! I'll do anything you ask! PLEASE SAVE HIM!"

Lore Weaver watched as a zebra chief appeared before the two princesses. Even though the stallion was well versed in knowledge pertaining to different topics as the owner of a bookstore and a lover of knowledge, the zebra culture was something he had yet to learn. He did happen to know of a zebra living near Ponyville, yet his efforts to meet her had always seemed to be shoved in the background like a neglected box in an attic. Still this was an interesting chance to meet such an important figure.

"Greetings, Balozi Zetti," Lore said with a bow, taking what Twilight said in her introduction, "I am Lore Weaver, an owner of a bookstore in Ponyville. It is an honor to meet you as well, and to echo Princess Twilight Sparkle's words I do wish to learn as much as i can about your culture. I also wish for peace and happiness and if I'm bold enough to add a thirst for knowledge."

Lore then watched as the one cream colored unicorn offered Twilight a drink, albeit clearly trying to flirt with the Princess. If there was one thing Lore knew from experience, it was romance didn't work that way where somepony was to be bold enough like that. But what disturbed the purple unicorn the most was whatever was in the cups. Was this stallion foolish enough to try and slip a Princess a love potion? Lore Weaver felt the urge to play the heroic knight and save the Princess from the unicorn's dastardly plans, but he knew that Twilight was perfectly capable of handling things herself.

With a sudden appearance of a firecracker and a spill of the potion, the pony began to turn to stone!

"That is the similar effect that a cockatrice would have on a pony, sudden paralysis and petrification," he said to the pleading unicorn while levitating the extinguished firecracker over to a guard to dispose of, "Your brother wasn't planning on trying to turn one of the Princesses to stone, was he?"

As his brother was getting closer to his 'goal,' Flam was happy helping Calliope Steammusic out, using his horn magic to produce a bucket of coal for her.

"There you are my dear, the coal you need is here!" the mustached unicorn stalllion sang. It felt good to help others, even without being paid for it. Then Flam turned to see his brother preparing to give the poison potion to Twilight, a horrifying sight. Flim had joked to him days before about using the potion as part of their plans, but he never thought his brother would actually go through with it. Flam was all for trying to win the affection of a Princess, but not THIS way.

"Oh! Thank you!" Calliope took the bucket her magic and gave it a heft. "Ten pounds. That should last the night." Then the other unicorn yelled out to who she could only assume was his brother.

"FLIM! STOP! DON'T DO IT!" the mustached brother shouted as at that precise moment, a firecracker rocket flew through one of the many open windows in the room and collided with Flim, knocking him to the floor and sending the two floating goblets down upon him, spilling their contents on the stunned lanky unicorn. A blast of Flam's magical horn made the rocket stop and drop harmlessly to the floor. When Flim stood up, something odd was happening to him.

"Egad! How did that thing fly in... here..." Flim uttered, his speech now beginning to slow as the lanky unicorn began to turn to stone in front of his stunned brother's eyes.

"OH NO! FLIM!" Flam neighed as now, his brother's legs were slowly transforming to stone. "I told you not to do this... gotta stop it now!"

Flam's horn glowed as he sent several magical blasts towards Flim, but to no avail. Flam kept trying to save his brother until exhaustion caused him to collaspe to the floor. He then looked up at the Princesses and started to plead.

"Please your majesties, I beg you! Save Flim! I know what he tried to do was evil, but he doesn't deserve this! I'll do anything you ask! PLEASE SAVE HIM!"

"Well..." Began Calliope, her head sticking into the room, "That was unexpected..." She paused to scratch her neck. "Um... Should I go find a doctor?"

(OOC: Just for the record, Calliope is not wearing any cloths for the simple reason that all she owns is a work apron.)

Some ponies were simply not worthy of trust or friendship. It wasn't something Twilight thought of often- maybe she was a bit colder in that regard than Celestia, who believed anypony could be saved. Even Discord was given a chance at redemption when Twilight was much happier with him encased in stone before he made that final turn. Supposedly. Did that make her a bad princess? She didn't think so. She believed in the greatness of the Equestria and the unyielding kindness of it's citizens and ability to pull together for the common good, but within that whole there certainly existed small sections of the population given to cruelty, evil, or insatiable greed. These ponies were deserving of a second chance and an opportunity to redeem themselves, but friendship was out of the question until they did. Twilight Sparkle certainly did not feel any great feelings for the brothers. No, not one bit.

But she wasn't willing to see one of them turn to stone as she sat there and did nothing. What Princess would she be to see one of her subjects suffer so and do nothing when no punishment had been hoofed down? Maybe it had been his plan to attack the royalty. More likely he was a bumbling fool who failed to concoct a love potion, and instead created the Locked in Love potion. A mistake anypony could make if anypony decided to dabble in potions so extensively. Locked in Love was a derivative of the Love Poison. Instead of what the Poison did, the Locked spell turned one into stone unless they were kissed before they turned completely into stone. Once that happened, they were doomed. It had been created by the same cruel pony who had created the Love Poison, and both had been so similar to the love potion of myth that it had befallen a small number throughout history. Now this fool was counted among them.

"Somepony kiss him, that should break the potion's hold. Then we'll see about ridding him of stone before we decide what to do for his real] punishment. Meanwhile, welcome to the Gala, Lore Weaver. Pleasure to see somepony of your caliber!"

As Flim continued to stand hopelessly slowly turning to stone, the words of Princess Twilight Sparkle gave Flam a ray of hope. Finding the energy to stand up, the frantic mustached unicorn stallion began to plead with all the mares in attendance.

"Please save my brother! I know his plot to use a love potion on the Princess was very wrong, but he still doesn't deserve a cruel fate like this!"

Flam removed his straw hat and bowed his head as he continued his speech.

"It was wrong for him to dabble in magic like this, very true. But I beg all of you, would one of you kind mares find it in your heart to save Flim from this terrible tragedy? My brother and I will gladly accept any punishment for our actions, as we rightfully deserve them, but now is the time for action."

Now the mustached unicorn stallion was on his back knees as he pleaded.

"Please! Would one of you mares kiss him?"

Celestia was no stranger to dignitaries or greeting those from different areas of the world. Just recently she had entertained diplomats from Saddle Arabia. However, never could she predict that one would appear at the Grand Galloping Gala without formal announcement. Still she figured that it was more of an inability to communicate for the nomadic people than wishing to catch her off guard. Zeti of the Vukizo tribe approached and made her introduction. Celestia was well aware of all the tribes in Unyasi and was always willing to meet and gain a camaraderie and friendship with them for the betterment of both Equestria and Unyasi both. However this is the first time she had met with a chief directly.

The zebra’s musings temporarily ceased when the proper time came to give her greetings to the two princesses. “It’s a most wonderful honor... to meet the two of you at last,” Zeti’s strained voice rang out as the aging mare stepped forward (with help from her tall staff), eloquently dipping her head towards the alicorns instead of bowing down like the other ponies; “I am Zeti, chief of the Vukizo tribe in the Unyasan highlands. On behalf of all the peoples of Unyasi, I wish for peace and happiness… throughout the entire land.....”

"It is my honour to meet you, Chief Zeti, as well to welcome you to not only the Grand Galloping Gala, but Equestria as well." Celestia greeted Chief Zeti returning her head bow. "May we work together to gain an ever lasting peace and friendship between our great nations." Celestia thought of shaking her hoof like her student Twilight, but instead, opted to give a full and proper bow. She figured if she wished to shake her hoof or could she'd extend it.

At that moment Flim and Flam returned with two glasses of questionable liquid. Offering one to Twilight. It didn't take much to know what it was or at least what it was intended to be. From the look and fragrance Celestia knew that it was not what Flim had intended, but something slightly different. The look was identical but the scent was unmistakable, and those that weren't well learned in potions often brewed one while trying to brew the other with disastrous results. Celestia had hoped Twilight would be able to diffuse the situation delicately and with grace befitting a princess.

To Celetia's delight, Twilight had refused it in a manner befitting a princess, but shortly after a firecracker burst into the room spilling both containers on Flim who started to turn to stone. Twilight correctly identified the concoction as the Locked in Love potion, and correctly described the cure to it. Naturally Celestia was aware of a counter spell that could release somepony from it's effects after it was taken full effect. However Celestia hoped she would not have to cast that spell and Flim would learn this lesson on his own without her intervention. As she learned from Discord, being fully encased in stone isn't exactly a pleasant experience.

Celestia in all the confusion noticed a rather interesting lime coloured pony dragging along a large steam powered organ. She could have notified us in advance she was bringing it and could have had a guard or two help her with it. Celestia thought to herself. She considered the possibility that she was simply too proud to do so or accept any help. It was her instrument after all, Celestia knew more than anyone that some musicians must carry their own instruments because of how attached they are to them.

Archived