Roll For Initiative (Canterlot, Open)

SteelEagle

“Ah... most people would disagree with what you say, but I would gladly, even if I don't quite like it. The rogue is always a huge gamble to have. Every party wants one only because they can find traps and actually disable devices. But when it comes to combat?” The pony looked up, after rubbing his hoof over his chin. He slowly turned around only to notice that the unicorm whom he had been speaking too had suddenly vanished.

Java looked around with a confused expression, wondering where he had ran off to before finally leaving the shelves to see what Gaffer had in stock for battle figurines. But some pony with blue hair had actually caught the periphrial of his vision. He'd slow down his trotting, till it came to a complete stop, and gazed toward the desk. He had never been so surprised, so shocked, and so confused by what he had seen before, but his eyes rarely ever lied to him.

“Shining armor,” the pony murmured to himself. He had never found the prince of the crystal kingdom to be a gamer. But then again, Java had never known the royal pony personally. But he had been thinking of Dungeon Mastering a game himself, perhaps he could go ahead and start building a roster now with some of the pony folks inside? He'd slowly approach the counter, and lowered down onto his haunches. "I just remembered, I am looking for some player's for a campaign I'd like to run. Would one of you two be interested?" His eyes darted between the two evenly. He'd like for Gaffer to join him, believing that he'd be a veteran, which would mean that the ponies usual difficulty could go undaunted. But also for Shining Armor, as a way of making new friends that were also hardcore gamers.

"I tend to run difficult campaigns, but I won't necessarily try to kill your characters. It generally happens if your luck is horrible."

banner_shining_zps335c7546.png

Shining was stumped. According to Gaffer, he was reciting 8-bit's character. "Yeah, well. He must have stolen my character then, because I swear I had those titles." For whatever reason, Gaffer's tone wasn't all too confident that Cadance would appreciate a tabletop game as an anniversary gift. And if Shining was considering what most mares her age shoot for these days, he would probably agree. But instead, he was too stubborn to notice his error and continued to geek out on the possibility. "I think Cadance would love it. She's really good at detailing all the things she see wrong with me and appearance and such. So she should be able to flesh out a character, no problem!"

Gaffer then left to attend to a customer, and Shining was left standing there next to a pony who didn't expect to see his military rank that close face to face. "Hi. Yeah, I think I might be interested in that. We couldn't do it now, I gotta catch a train back to the Empire this evening. But I would love to play a game and include Princess Cadance as well. I think she would like it. And Gaffer can come. And we should try to get 8 bit and Poindexter." Shining Armor definately was out of his military element. But this was who he was. A nerd in a comic shop wasn't really that strange for ponies who knew him. "I honestly don't care much for the comic shop they have at the Crystal Empire. They have some outdated titles and the ink they use to print the comics isn't very good. It wipes off easily. So for ponies without magic, you would have to turn the page, and then wash your hooves. Turn the page. Wash your hooves. And then you turn the page. And then you wash your hooves again..."

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngshiningbuttonsig_zps6d87c176.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

• 2 weeks later...

2qdswhx.jpg

"Eh.", the unicorn was slightly stumped at Ingrid Marie's question for a moment. They never really called themselves anything, "I guess 'gamers', 'role-players' or 'dice-chuckers' would be about right. Used to game with my old group during my high school days.", he sighed as he noticed one of first modules he had ever played, 'The Revolt of Paradise Estate' was being sold as an 'Classic Edition', which made him feel ever so old. He smiled as the mare asked for 'Saddle Arabian Knights' and waited for the store-worker to answer her back, "Hey Miss Mare, if you're going to get him an supplement book, you might want to also get him an low-level module to use along with it..Like..", he scanned the shelves and found yet another updated module, "While I was never a big fan of the setting, we did enjoy 'Corsairs of the Great Sea'. It was one of the few mods that didn't rely on the tired old 'evil Grand Vizier' who always turn out to be traitors and very evil. What's with that?" You would have though that the wise sultans would at least have some sort of test to give potential Viziers, like a multiple-choice type with the last answer always being 'Are you evil?', or maybe an eyebrow examination. The evil ones always had the crazy eyebrows.

A smirk fell upon the stallion's snout as he overheard the good prince speak of the Crystal Empire's comic shop, "Well, considering comic books and role-playing games probably didn't exist when the Empire was removed from time and space, I guess they're trying to play catch up with the rest of the world.", he turned to Java, "I'm up for a game anytime and at anyplace. Probably would be wise for me to brush up on my skills before I throw myself into one of High Brow's major campaigns."

Java blinked, he hadn't actually thought that the pony would accept his sudden offer to join his campaign. He figured that Gaffer would easily be up on the offer, but never Shining Armor. Nor did he imagine he would be bringing the princess of the Crystal kingdom with him. And to where? His home! A rather humble one, near the edge of a cliff in Canterlot. The most it had going on for it was the interior design work that Java had placed into it, and it's view overlooking the entire kingdom from above, not to mention the back window view of the Castle above it.

"Erm... right... of course... of course," He chimed. But even through the cheery tone, there was a bit of nervousness behind it. "Erm... I will send a letter to the castle informing you of the details.... and bring inform... poindexter was it?" Well, if the prince was actually serious then that would mean he would have possibly three confirmed players, and another player who may or not be able to join. He then heard another voice, and turned to face a familiar stallion.

"Ah! Pocket Change was it? Of course! Of course," this time the nervousness was gone. The pony quickly reached into his waist coat to pull out two small calling cards. "Here you go," he hummed delightedly after offering one out with a hoof. He'd wait till it was taken, before pulling a pencil out, and flipping the other over. "And... could you write your information? This way I can keep in contact with yall to let you know when the first session will be! Oh... and it will likely be in my place."

His smile disappeared for a moment for a more contemplative thought. He imagined a session going in the main room of his house, and him leaving for the kitchen to go grab a drink. Only, instead of seeing the usual tiled kitchen with a moat of water running through it, he see's a Crystal Guard standing in his way for extra security. "Erm........... maybe my place," he mumbled softly.

(Side note guys... we could totally do this.)

150px-Comic_issue_11_Gaffer.png

Gaffer nodded solemnly along with Java, the Rogues being abit underpowered at the moment a major concern for some of their most ardent fans. It didn't bother gaffer too much as a lot of rogue players simply misplayed the class, not going for backstabs or traps. It wasn't a class that had any leeway for mistakes or sadly even creativity. Not many got a good picture of what the class was capable of- at higher levels, they had scores of awesome abilities that made them a favorite amongst the older crowd. But the early going was beyond rough and a lot of rogue players played their characters as generic Mister Mysterious Rough Around the Edges Badflank and that got tiring after a few dozen players entered and left with the same character.

"Well, they did clarify the backstab ability to give it a two time critical with four boxes of damage base, so it can be incredibly effective in the right circumstance. But beyond that- yeah. Anyone playing that class has to know it isn't the best for combat scenarios. But you always need a rouge. It isn't as necessary as it was at first as a lot of classes cover parts of it, but few classes have as much roleplaying versatility in my mind," he started as Java went about planning a campaign, asking those present including Gaffer to join. Gaffer wanted nothing more than to say yes, but when he played he focused intensely and he simply couldn't close down the store for his own desires. He sighed dramatically, "as for the offer, I can't. I'd love to but I have to be able to help customers. But you're welcome to host the game here- I can stay open for as long as you need," he offered helpfully, more than willing to back that up. More than a few times he had kept the store open past midnight for that same reason!

"And you had the titles, Shining," Gaffer shook his head, worried about Shining now, "just not that one title. Are you drunk on freedom? I imagine being held down by Cadance all day everyday would be suffocating! Can you even go to the bathroom without permission now?" he laughed, looking back at his modules. So, he was set on trying to get her some sort of quill and paper RPG module. There were plenty of choices to be sure but only a select few could possibly have any appeal while remaining teachable enough with some comedic flair, which was always one good way to give someone you love the push needed to become way too involved in the greatest of hobbies, "well, if you're set on getting her some RPG materials, might I suggest Pages? RPG with a comedic tint, lots of creative flux for you to explore," he said, hoofing over the core book of the game that featured scantily clad Pages having adventures and doing menial tasks for their master. Fun stuff.

Speaking of fun, Ingrid Marie was looking for a really nice set. While Pocket Change made some valid points, Saddle Arabian Knights had so many great things that the few negatives didn't matter much.

"I sure do have a copy," Gaffer replied confidently, fishing out a pristine edition and hoofing it onto the table. On the front was a bespectacled pony fidgeting with a gadget while a darker mare with a scimitar in her mouth and a loose and flowing fabric roiling over her faced off against a giant worm. More fun times. "One of the best modules and settings, if I say so myself. The creators were really able to stretch their muscles creatively on this set since none of it is tied into Equestria. The campaigns it suggests do come with some stock villains, but I don't know many who really use stock villains regardless of the setting. It has a marvelous setting and some very unique classes and abilities, but actually works seamlessly into the main game. It really is one of the great supplementals," he said as he grabbed Corsairs, "now normally "Saddle Arabia" is thirty-five bits and "Corsairs of the Great Sea" another thirty-five, but I'll be blunt with you. I received six new copies of Corsairs recently and already had two, so I can do with a few less of that particular book. Saddle Arabia alone at thirty-five or both of them for forty-five. Whatcha want?" he asked jovially, really hoping to push them off of his shelves. It was a fine supplemental and all but he hadn't sold one in about a year yet he had just received a batch of them at a heavy discount. Well, he received all of his books at a heavy discount, but his parents had made some sort of clerical error and he had ended up paying twelve bits for the whole batch. Ten bits a pop until he was back down to his normal stock levels would free up space and make him some money, which is more than he could say about Corsairs for a long time.

14aittd.png

Decisions, decisions. Under usual circumstances, Ingrid Marie wouldn’t have bothered purchasing another RPG module along with the one she was tasked to find. For all she knew, her nephew might already have ‘Corsairs of the Great Sea’. But Pocket Change’s recommendation as a seasoned... gamer, whatever they call themselves, wasn’t something a fellow Spellbound member wouldn’t easily dismiss. And really, only a measly 10 extra bits for an additional module that would have normally driven up the final price to 70 bits? Who’d be foolish enough to reject that outstanding bargain?

“I’ll definitely take ‘Corsairs’ then, thank you,” Ingrid nodded her head; “I’m sure my nephew will enjoy these two gifts.” With her purchasing decision finalized, the unicorn mare set down 45 bits onto the counter, grateful for the swift and speedy service at Heroes and Ogres. Counselor Marie could clearly see why the likes of Pocket Change, her young relative, and Shining Armor all patronized this store.

banner_shining_zps335c7546.png

Sometimes Shining Armor forgot about his place in royalty. Was he really the only one in the room married to a princess? Oh wait. He's the only one in Equestria. Interesting. Regardless, he would maintain the outlook of someone with gaming obsessions, something he held close to himself and something he would probably never let go of. And in the light of Cadance, he would rather share it. He loved sharing things with his significant other. Who wouldn't? Apparently Gaffer, who assumed that Cadance was the reason Shining had lost touch with some of his in-character knowledge. And maybe he was partially right.

At the table where the other two were, Shining smiled among friends, as if the two he was talking to where in his circle for years. It was like being in academy again with Poindexter and 8-bit. When Java asked Pocket Change to write his address down, Shining couldn't help but do the same. He wouldn't want to lose his spot at the table of a game like this! So he grabbed a random scrap of paper and pencil with his magic and wrote down his address and gave it to Java. "Count me in, and plus one!"

Shining Armor

The Crystal Palace

The Crystal Empire

Gaffer had suggested a module fit for any good beginner getting into table top games. But Shining Armor didn't exactly see confidence in his opinion. "No I don't think you understand. I need to go big. Cadance will want to know everything about this game, I'm sure. And actually," Shining stepped back a bit, rubbing the back of his neck, his thoughts realizing he was about to say something that would continue to confirm Gaffer's suspicion. "Since we got married and moved to The Crystal Empire, I'm not sure where my current modules and rule sets went. I think maybe Cadance accidentally threw them away. But it's OK. We would need to get all the new up-to-date reference books and everything anyway, right?. So just get me a complete kit."

While Shining waited for Gaffer to collect what Shining would ask for, Shining gave a smug suspicion that Gaffer was avoiding something. "You're not seriously going to miss out on an opportunity to game with us are you? It doesn't have to be now. Don't you ever give yourself a day off? Maybe you can hire somepony to cover a shift."

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngshiningbuttonsig_zps6d87c176.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

Java glanced down at the address he provided with a raised brow. The pony didn’t really need the address of shining armor, unless there was some form of special customs that his letter must get through in order to actually reach the pony. Heck, just about every pony knew where the husband of Princess Cadence lived. Inside a giant fricken crystal castle, surrounded by a lot of crystals. But, that could be unfair of Java for thinking such a way. After all, it is likely that the other stallion does have some other form of residence as the Castle may just be a political check in point. Instead of an actual residence.

Deciding it’d be best to go ahead and take it, Java slipped it away into a pocket in his vest before looking up. He smiled when he saw Shining Armor now suddenly pressing Gaffer on. He could easily agree with Shining on this note. True that Gaffer may have to tend to his customers… but he didn’t really expect him to run the game in the middle of the week day, did he? Not to mention he did say he had kept the store opened well past closing.

“Well Gaffer,” Java began as he now trotted closer to the desk. Once he was as close as he could get, he placed a hoof on the counter, and leaned a bit closer. “I don’t plan on running a game in the middle of a working day. I’ll do it when the shops are closed. Plus…” Java added in an off note, but slowly trailed off. The pony hadn’t actually thought about it after the many times he stopped by this shop at in the past, but the other pony was actually pretty cute. Perhaps it’s because it was he was no longer on business, therefore opening up his mind a bit more? Or maybe something said earlier by some pony else was actually taken to heart? Keepin this odd feeling in mind, the pony finished what he was saying. “…you could use a break. Well… so could I. A pony who never sleeps.”

Archived