Any Bronies into Anime?

Before i go further.

I like anime. I want to enjoy it and the stories that are presented. I give any anime i'm presented a chance and will always watch it with an open mind. It's how i came to enjoy FiM, afterall.

I'm not an uptight elitist that despises all anime based on it's popularity. However, i do expect appealing characters and story from my entertainment. Failing that, i will forgive a series if there is enough well paced action and/or comedy.

Most of the series i speak against lack any of these four aspects, in my opinion at least.

@Bladerock

wtf1: care to explain why you think Eva is bad? is easy to bash at something without proper arguments

wtf2: Death note.......sick???

On death note: some people don't like lolicon, i happen to not like senseless sadistic murder and mind control.

Yagami, THE PROTAGONIST, is an unlikeable who murders friends and family simply because he wants to show how much better he is than them. It's awful, awful stuff that should only exist in people's nightmares. And i would rather be forced to reread cupcakes over and over nonstop for the rest of my life than ever watch this again.

Technically speaking, the narrative and premise are good. It's just not my cup of tea.

Ah! Evangelion. The Anime that turned me from otakudom and made me decide that most anime was the biggest pile of bile to have ever graced this world. It removed my blinders, so to speak. In my mind, it is to anime what Final Fantasy VIII is to Final Fantasy's embittered fans.

I can write you two essays: one on my opinions about the story and how it opened my eyes to all the awful reused cliches in anime and another one on the technical reasons, like it's faulty writing, bad pacing, editing and animation.

However, i will not. Because i will end up jacking this thread if i do. Rest assured, i gave it a chance and regret it to this day.

Know this: if i had watched it when it originally came out and had the means, i would have joined in the defacing and vandalism of Gainax HQ with no regrets in my conscience.

Heh. I never really thought about Twilight as "emo". I suppose at the beginning of the show she kind of is...

Yeah. By now she isn't, but at first she was "I don't need friends. Quit fooling around Spike, the world is doomed."

As for anime people might not have seen, but which is well made, there's Hourou Musuko. A trailer + links to the whole series: http://www.crunchyroll.com/hourou-musuk ... ion-568704

Ah! Evangelion. The Anime that turned me from otakudom and made me decide that most anime was the biggest pile of bile to have ever graced this world. It removed my blinders, so to speak. In my mind, it is to anime what Final Fantasy VIII is to Final Fantasy's embittered fans.

Different strokes, I guess. Evangelion has many flaws, but the character development is very good. The battle pacing is excellent as well, IMO, even if there's little animation. I can't blame anyone for disliking it, but this show's strengths more than make up for its weaknesses, IMO.

I don't consider myself an otaku by any stretch. I'd say I'm more likely to dislike an anime than to like it, but when it's done right, anime is so special.

As for anime people might not have seen, but which is well made, there's Hourou Musuko. A trailer + links to the whole series: http://www.crunchyroll.com/hourou-musuk ... ion-568704

I really like the art style on that one, very refreshing when most anime looks so homogenous. Unfortunately, having personal issues with homosexuals who can't accept the gender they were born with, the premise is not the kind of thing i would be interested in.\

May still watch it when i'm done with Phil's suggestions, though.

I really like the art style on that one, very refreshing when most anime looks so homogenous. Unfortunately, having personal issues with homosexuals who can't accept the gender they were born with, the premise is not the kind of thing i would be interested in.\

May still watch it when i'm done with Phil's suggestions, though.

Wow, well, I could easily usurp the thread with comments about this bit alone (and if you wish to have a rousing discussion via PM, then let's do it), but I will note that transsexuality has nothing to do with homosexuality, especially given how many are hetero.

In any case, yeah, if you get the chance to watch it, maybe you'll see a different perspective. We can talk more afterwards.

Different strokes, I guess. Evangelion has many flaws, but the character development is very good. The battle pacing is excellent as well, IMO, even if there's little animation. I can't blame anyone for disliking it, but this show's strengths more than make up for its weaknesses, IMO.

I don't consider myself an otaku by any stretch. I'd say I'm more likely to dislike an anime than to like it, but when it's done right, anime is so special.

I keep people away from it, because i know firsthand how thoroughly it can destroy your love for anime. Took me YEARS to like anime again after watching that trainwreck of caca. I am very bitter towards it, and it's impossible to hide it.

I don't like talking too much about it. Thereby, i will probably not reply to anything having to do with Evangelion from this point onward.

Oh my; my fav. animes of all time? Hmm...

Kaiba

Baccano!

Magica Madoka

Katanagatari

Michiko to Hatchin

Princess Tutu

The entire "Ojamajo Doremi" series

Fullmetal Alchemist

Kemono no shouja Erin

Tiger & Bunny

Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei

And if it turns out as awesome as I hope it'll be; Mawaru Penguindrum

I would've added Soul Eater to the list but, well...

the moment they decided to give it an "original anime ending"...

That kinda killed it for me.

I keep people away from it, because i know firsthand how thoroughly it can destroy your love for anime. Took me YEARS to like anime again after watching that trainwreck of caca. I am very bitter towards it, and it's impossible to hide it.

I don't like talking too much about it. Thereby, i will probably not reply to anything having to do with Evangelion from this point onward.

Fair enough. I wouldn't likely thrust it up front as an example of anime either, except when I know it fits the profile of the person I'd be pitching it to. Really, the only animes that I know I can safely show to anyone are the Ghibli movies. Anime buffs, grandmas, kids, traditionalists, art snobs -- everybody finds something to like in the Ghibli movies, it seems.

Beyond that, I'd say Card Captor Sakura for lovers of cutenessess, and Cowboy Bebop for actiony types.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

Stopped watching at first episode during the 8 minutes and 28 second mark.

Please, make it stop! It's. SO. DUUUUUUUUUUUULL!

It's like Lucky Star, but with even less believable characters and even more dull. How can you make something duller than lucky star? HOW?

Can you point me to an episode where it already has picked up? please? I refuse to eat my vegetables to get to my dessert.

It's like Lucky Star, but with even less believable characters and even more dull. How can you make something duller than lucky star? HOW?

Can you point me to an episode where it already has picked up? please? I refuse to eat my vegetables to get to my dessert.

Madoka Magica doesn't really start getting interesting or 'original' until after you've watched episode 3.

After that, it's either you love it, or hate it.

I personally think you should continue to stick it out until you've watched the third, then decide to give up~

Madoka Magica doesn't really start getting interesting or 'original' until after you've watched episode 3.

This is how I felt about MLP. Episodes 1 and 2 didn't quite sell me, and episode 3 showed promise. Few shows hit you right out of the gates, it seems.

ok this is bull****, someone who cant even watch ONE GODDAMN EPISODE is not one to criticize anything.

as of season anime, just watched ep 1 of kamisama no memochou (God's memo pad), nice 1 hr (45 mins) special to introduce all the cast and get things going at once, really nice stuff... although the main char is an obvious shout-out to Victorique from Gosick.... and that one was just from the last 2 seasons :geek:

I'm criticizing the pacing, it's too slow and not keeping my attention. Not saying anything bad about the series as a whole.

Lucky Star is one of the dullest, slowest animes i have watched and it kept my attention for a full 16 episodes. Just putting it into perspective.

I'm criticizing the pacing, it's too slow and not keeping my attention. Not saying anything bad about the series as a whole.

Lucky Star is one of the dullest, slowest animes i have watched and it kept my attention for a full 16 episodes. Just putting it into perspective.

I watched the entire season of Lucky Star and I can't remember what it was about.

Also the last I've seen of any anime lately was Ef a tale of symphony(I think that's right it's been a while) season 1 and 2, Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni, Kai, and rei, Sketdance, I've seen a lot of animes myself.

Hooo boy, I had to wait until I got home for this thread. Anyhow.

Lately, I feel like I've been falling out of touch with Anime, just a little. Now that I get to watch as it comes out, it seems... less special. I dunno. My feelings are confusing, as I remember back when the only way to watch anime was to know a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy. I guess I'm over-saturated. This, on top of the convention I go to every year, plus my semi-career as an AMV editor. But anyway. The series that really star struck me are as follows:

Read or Die

Moyashimon

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Angel Beats

Madoka Magika

Princess Jellyfish

Summer Wars

Tengen Toppa Gurren Laggan (or however the devil you spell it)

Azumanga Daioh

I know I've watched much much more but those are all I care to note, as they're fresh in my head.

I don't watch a lot of shoujo/josei anime but I like Kuragehime/Princess jellyfish. That was a cute show.

I loved Madoka Magica from the onset. That said, it doesn't become brilliant until after the third episode. And yeah, after that point you can't possibly call it dull.

You might not like it. In fact I'm pretty sure you won't. It's often compared to Evangelion which most anime fans think is brilliant but you obviously don't. And if you can't even sit through a single episode... yeah... it's probably just not going to work for you...

Also, Lucky Star is one of my all time favorite anime series. I think that is hilarious and pure fun. Nothing in it is dull to me and the characters are lovable.

Oh, and about Fate/Stay Night, masterpiece may be just a little strong for the anime. The VN certainly is. I still wouldn't call the anime bad by any means and actually consider it to be very nicely done.

ADD is my enemy. (diagnosed, not a joke.)

I guess my taste in anime is very different from that of the average fan. And i blame Evangelion for that.

Lucky Star was okay, it's just that not a whole lot was happening, even when they were making jokes. I did love the segment at the end with the older woman playing a loli and the new guy who had no real idea as to what he was doing. would totally watch an eva revolving around those two.

Azumanga Daioh was pretty much the same as Lucky Star, but i found it to be much more enjoyable, overall.

And yes, Someone mentioned Gurren Laggan. The first season was epic. Though i always wondered why the humans hadn't stolen mechs before.

I see. And yeah. Apparently it is quite different.

I personally don't think something has to be happening for me to be having a good time. If I'm amused just watching the characters interact, any plot is secondary to me. That's why I like a lot of slice of life/comedy anime like that. And yeah, Lucky Channel is arguably the best part of any given Lucky Star episode.

Azumanga Daioh is also brilliant. I actually prefer Lucky Star by a hair though.

Gurren Lagann was pretty good. I sometimes feel I wasn't impressed with it as some people are. Still, it's fun.

On Gurren Lagann:

Well, you have to consider that the bane of all that is good story writing and pacing (gainax) worked on it and it was still decent.

That, sir, is called an accomplishment of the utmost degree.

The first season was over the top and ridiculous, but it managed to keep you immersed just enough to overlook all the weirdness going on. The second season felt completely out of place with the setting and was simply terrible, nothing but a low quality Gundam clone in my opinion.

Let me put it simply: This anime almost redeemed Gainax in my eyes. And if the second season had been any good, i would have forgiven them for taking a dump in my brain with Evangelion.

Keep in mind, this is all my opnion and in no way am i claiming it as fact.

I see. And yeah. Apparently it is quite different.

I personally don't think something has to be happening for me to be having a good time. If I'm amused just watching the characters interact, any plot is secondary to me. That's why I like a lot of slice of life/comedy anime like that. And yeah, Lucky Channel is arguably the best part of any given Lucky Star episode.

My friends do a parody on Lucky Channel called Kaigi Channel, which gives news updates about the Anime convention they plan, called Anime Kaigi.

Oh, and about Fate/Stay Night, masterpiece may be just a little strong for the anime. The VN certainly is

ummmm.... well, about that :geek: ...

it certainly IS great.... but my masterpiece-o-meter got a revamp the instant i played read through Muv Luv Alternative (avatar girl) THAT is a masterpiece in EVERY-GODDAMN-SENSE, knocking down a couple points from everything else i played read before (which isnt much, but you get my point) FSN included

--------------------------------------------------

also, anypony else reads any manga? since i saw somepony mention Soul Eater, i think recommendation for its manga are in order, happening the same thing which happened between the 1st FMA and the manga.

also reading Air Gear and been meaning to retake Tenjou Tenge... it is just so ****in confusing to this point that i may have to start it again.... but its length tends to put me off :|

among others... just from the top of my head

Well, your avatar does certainly look enticing. I can believe there are better visual novels than Fate/Stay Night. Even if there are it wouldn't diminish my love of F/SN. I have like action figures and stuff...

But cool. I'll keep it in mind. I honestly doubt something called "Muv Luv" would have ever caught my eye.

And I used to read a lot of manga. I don't as much these days. Tenjho Tenge was actually one of the first manga I read (because the anime, which I enjoyed, just cuts off suddenly). But yeah... the manga got pretty confusing and I kind of stopped following it...

On Gurren Lagann:

Well, you have to consider that the bane of all that is good story writing and pacing (gainax) worked on it and it was still decent.

That, sir, is called an accomplishment of the utmost degree.

The first season was over the top and ridiculous, but it managed to keep you immersed just enough to overlook all the weirdness going on. The second season felt completely out of place with the setting and was simply terrible, nothing but a low quality Gundam clone in my opinion.

Let me put it simply: This anime almost redeemed Gainax in my eyes. And if the second season had been any good, i would have forgiven them for taking a dump in my brain with Evangelion.

Keep in mind, this is all my opnion and in no way am i claiming it as fact.

You seem to like Gurren Lagann, FLCL and Panty and Stocking. I'm kind of curious what other than Evangelion has Gainax done to so sour your opinion of them when it seems you like most of the biggest titles that come to my mind when it comes to that studio?

Well, your avatar does certainly look enticing. I can believe there are better visual novels than Fate/Stay Night. 1 Even if there are it wouldn't diminish my love of F/SN. I have like action figures and stuff...

But cool. I'll keep it in mind. 2 I honestly doubt something called "Muv Luv" would have ever caught my eye.

1) Thats the exact same thing that i thought before i dived into that universe, now here i am :blush: and i do have 2 Sabers and 2 Rins on my desk right now, they so pretty :kissy:

2) well... the way the game saw the light is heavily suspected to have been some sort of enormous troll by Age (the makers) im pretty certain the name was a way to try to put the buzz off a bit. but dunno :mad: