why doesnt anyone like scott pilgrim?

i mean seriously half the people i asked had no idea what it was and if your reading this and you dont know what it is go out to your local bookstore/library and get a copy of the graphic novels trust me it is worth the money

I actually like Scott Pilgrim mainly because I like the video game references.

I'm also Ramona Flower's Eighth Evil Ex, but don't tell Scott that.

lol same i'm planning to go as gideon graves for halloween this year recently i've been in a bit of a phase (like ramona with her hair) of obsessing the f*** over Scott pilgrim but my life was ruined when i couldn't find the 4th volume of the graphic novels :cry: (no i am not overreacting what are you talking about)

i mean seriously half the people i asked had no idea what it was and if your reading this and you dont know what it is go out to your local bookstore/library and get a copy of the graphic novels trust me it is worth the money

Doesn't have any appeal to me. It's just another action/romantic comic series that has a few pop culture references in it that I have seen a million other times.

thats the thing its much more i feel it takes what you know about that formula takes it apart and makes it way better

Not really. It's guy meets girl, trouble comes, guy fights for girl, insert pop reference, rinse and repeat through out the books.

well it mixes up the formula by the 2nd book

Oh really? Like when it showed kim get kidnapped and scott has to go save her? Or when Lucas comes to town and gets defeated by going down a hill to fast and busting into a million coins? Rinse repeat.

this "rinse repeat" s*** your spouting is used to further develop the characters and make them 3 dimensional characters in fact all of the things you've been saying are the things most bronies thought before they started liking the show "oh theirs nothing interesting that happens ponies have disagreement/flaw make up write journal entry/letter rinse and repeat" is what most would think before they became a brony

this "rinse repeat" s*** your spouting is used to further develop the characters and make them 3 dimensional characters in fact all of the things you've been saying are the things most bronies thought before they started liking the show "oh theirs nothing interesting that happens ponies have disagreement/flaw make up write journal entry/letter rinse and repeat" is what most would think before they became a brony

Easy on the language. This is a site for everyone. If it bothers you so much that I didn't like the books and found it predictable and boring then just stop responding. I read through all six books to give it a chance and I didn't find the characters interesting or the plot appealing. You asked why people don't like it and that was my reason. If you wanted everyone to agree with you, you should of made a discussion thread about "How Awesome Scott Pilgrim is" instead of asking why.

• 2 weeks later...

I can come up with a few reasons. I work at a theater, and most of the time this is what I noticed when I ripped tickets for Scott Pilgrim.

A. Not a lot of people read the comics.

B. The mass crowd who went to go watch the movie are generally not gamers or comic book nerds. Come on, it's the people who thinks Fast and Furious is a good movie series.

C. They go to watch the movie, thinking it will be some fast paced movie with explosions and the turn and heal gimick. Only to be disappointed by the cheesy (And yes... IT WAS ALL INTENTIONAL to make it look like one GIANT game.) animations and graphics. And retro jokes they won't understand.

D. All they know really is that the main actor "Was that kid from the movie Super Bad" and thinks the movie will have as much toilet humor as such.

Also, the "formula" that you have seen is the same formula that literally every fricken thing ever made has used when it comes to romance. Get over it.

And the formula is not based on television, but video games. Which, yes, shows up as the main goal for a lot of old retro games. Save the princess. You have several evil masters to fight. You have an extra life. You need power ups to win. Each boss is harder than the last. The first boss is always easily defeated. You have a time limit. Prince of Persia. The Rogue Warrior. And finally the bad/happy ending.

Really, you need to be a true nerd or geek to appreciate the movie and comics.

All honesty. The comics were better written and more thought out than most DC and Marvel comics.

D: A shunnin for you! Not really.

But I like it. I know that the formula is cliche. It's the depth of design that made it so interesting to me. And by depth of design, I don't mean that the story is deep (really... a deep story doesn't automatically make it interesting), I mean that the setting, character designs, gimmicks, jokes, and all work together to make a master piece.

It's like this. In most of the old retro games with a story, you play as an underdog who must overcome a great evil. And that evil is normally very successful, a kingpin of economy, and typically looks either more dashing than an Italian Stallion, OR looks like the horrible offspring of hulk holgan and a Mother Russia who had been fed nails and steroids ever since he was a kid, and crowned to be the successor of Satan by SATAN himself. Add some glasses to that to make it look less mean.

And Scott Pilgrim emulated that by having each one of the EX's turn out to be incredibly successful. Either actors, singers, or millionaires. They either look hideous, or incredibly handsome. Not going to lie... skater boy was pretty handsome.

And to be fair... I actually do quite a bit of analysis... even for terrible movies to try and find some good qualities. There is sometimes brilliance in a few of them.

Examples of Movies with some brilliance.

Fight Club: Trust me... you need to watch that movie five times before you see the bigger picture that the director put in. Honestly... all of the scenes were pretty disturbing after the third time through. Not to mention the strange stuff that was mentioned, and the constant use of Red white and Blue colors, and flags. Ikea stuff, crying, and there was even one scene that was almost a pure copy and paste on an incredibly famous painting of a dead guy in a tub with a note.

Tree of Life: At first I thought the movie was stupid.... till the third time I watched it... then it was just compelling. But it was just purely art.

Dark Knight Rises: It's actually a huge play on Plato's Allergy of the Cave.

Three Brothers: Had to watch the movie three times... there is a LOT going on in the background than you think there is...

Other notes... you need to take some film, graphics, art, art appreciation classes to get to these points.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd surmise that its not for everyone, however the movie and the graphic novel do touch on a lot of levels of the human experience and yet still manages to attract a niche audience. On the surface if you've every had a relationship, had a crush, had your heart broken, or broke hearts, like music, like games then it should be an instant attraction for a lot of people but maybe because it touches on so much that it does it comes off as trying too hard. Personally I like it but I recognize its not for the masses.

I love the franchise! Books more than movie. But then, I am a major comic book junkie.

I'm not that enthused with the titular character. He's kinda a jerk.

Scott at first appears to be the cliche hero he is a bit dumb and gun ho but is all together a good guy

Then as the story goes on you find out that Scott isn't good at all He just has an incredibly biased view of himself and refuses to acknowledge his own flaws and constantly leeches off others The story breaks from the cliche because it becomes being about the characters overcoming themselves and only once they mature are they actually able to find happiness and love

Neither Scott nor Romona are good people but by the end they are trying to be better

Archived