should we have a life advice section

brett

should we have a life advice section  

8 members have voted

1. 1. life advice?

most forums have a life advice where people post there problems and get help from other members. I used it a few times while depressed (like I am now) before I was banned on mlp forums. so we have it? what say you guys?

But that has nothing to DO with ponies, and if you need help irl then you should speak to your parents, or an adult, or a doctor... not everyplace on the internet is for you to come looking for emotional support

QuickLime has a right idea. Honestly speaking, random people on the internet are not generally the place to go to to try and solve your problems. Talk to people close to you or close to the situation at hand. If you truly do have issues with depression try speaking with a professional prepared to deal with such things.

hhhmmm I could see maybe an opinion thread where you ask to get some thoughts on something might be interesting since being able to hear multiple sides from views that are different than yours might help get a better perspective on things, however it would still be best to take what you read online with a grain of salt and also ask people who know you better for input.

No... For reasons already stated by QL and Rarity. Internet forums are a terrible place to ask for help. If you are lucky you'll meet a level headed bunch that will give you real advice that will help you like "Go to a clinic and get help."

In the end there are two types of people you should ask help from. 1) People you trust 2) Professionals. Neither of those are found on internet forums.

That is true! You have no idea who is behind the computer and they might not even know anything about giving advice. Most of us are probably young teens or kids, maybe we are all kids ((that is impossible but you get my point)). It's better if you get help outside of the internet because there is a very low chance that we are professional therapists or just 'Advice givers'

Having been a member and a moderator on a site that has had this section in the past, I can say that this is a very bad idea. Having sections like this increase the amount of drama that takes place on a site and is usualy a breeding groud for hatred and flaming. A good 70% of warnings in MLP Forums that were handed out, came from the Life Advice area because of users targeting others. Ultimately, if you need advice, it's better to talk to someone one on one with people you trust, rather than asking a bunch of random people for information. You're more likely to get the best results from people close to you, (relationship wise, not location wise) than you are a random person. If you don't feel you can go to anyone close, then seeking professional advice would also be advised. Anyone on a site can "claim" they are a professional, but that doesn't mean it's true. be mindful of that when you are getting advice online.

Archived