Fashioning the Dream (Remington, Valen, Ruby Pinch)

Hippo

xOYervQ.png

"...based on the regional projections. OK? Next, we have the national readings and projections, although, mostly there for references, can sometimes be useful in the detection of sales deficiencies from the previous six months forward ongoing to the most recent failure to produce numbers by affiliated consumers. In the event that the projections on their end fail, you'll be the one required to focus time and energy in the computation of factors and figures over the estimated timeline depending on the maximum sales opportunities suggested last quarter for the next period of industry. That means that on associate services provided by the company, no other districts included, should include exceptional reference guides for you and your and your fellow colleagues in case of emergency finance situations directed by your subordinate processor. Makes sense? OK! Moving on, we have what I like to call our filing cabinet. This cabinet features several layers of organization including the attentive files to be distributed throughout the company in an effective matter accordingly along with diversifying mail delivery which can also be filed right here, under M. M can also be the location where you file most things. Since most starts with the letter 'M'. Heh heh. Just kidding that's a little office joke I like to say. Everyone here thinks I'm a comedian."

Remington was on the brink of mental exhaustion. If he had to listen to this guy tell him about his new job in the accounting department for one more minute, he might just implode and become Canterlot's newest vegetable in the asylum just outside of town. Remington was qualified for the job, a job his friend and new roommate Valen was happy to give him. Without it, Remington was reluctant to move to Canterlot.

It all started in Manehatten. Of course, for Remington, it started in Cloudsdale when he was a blank flanked colt. But when the two graduated from their respective academies, Remington could see his future start to cloud up. He received his cutie mark while sleeping. He was having a magnificent dream and when awoken was able to decipher exactly what that dream meant. The dream helped him realize how important Valen was to him as a life long friend. From that moment on, Remington decided on living life with his best friend Valen. But then, Valen told Remington he would be moving to Canterlot. At first, Remington wasn't really sure how to respond. He didn't want to part with his best friend. At the same time, he understood that it couldn't last forever. Friends drift apart and start families, and so on. But when Valen said he could get Remington a job in finance with his family's business, Remington knew this was the next step he couldn't wait to take, even if it moved him away from the his mother, father, and little sister.

Remington was an efficient accountant, in good spirits, and generally reliable. Although it was not his passion. His passion was dreams, and discovering their secrets. Although he was not necessarily like his friends when he was a kid, fantasizing a play date with the savior of the dreamscape, Princess Luna. Later he would grow to admire the princess for her ability to weave into dreams and control them when necessary. Remington knew that Princess Luna was very respectful of dreams nature, and when Remington gained his cutie mark, that respect reflected in him as well. Although to this date, he had never spoken with Princess Luna. And if he was honest, wouldn't really know what to say if he did.

But instead of dreaming up his passion, he found himself day-dreaming during the flatness of his orientation at his new job at Orange Incorporated. Signs everywhere reflected tongue-in-cheek anti-apple propaganda, and orange facts that make them sound more delicious. Remington liked oranges, enough. Although a sweet crisp Sweet Apple Acres apple would occasionally find it's way in his icebox, and often times it would come from the hooves of Valen himself. He was, after all, one of the owner's cousins of the famous apple orchard. The clock could not strike five soon enough. And when it did, Remington stood straight up out of his chair.
"Oh boy. It's five already? Wow! That went by fast." Remington made his way towards the stairs when his superior stopped him.

"Don't forget your workbook. It has all the things you need to know about the company to succeed. Remember: O-R-A-N-G-E. O stands for Opportunity, R stands for..."

[bg=#922626][/bg]"Yes, I know what they stand for, thank you." Remington grabbed the folder with his mouth and descended down the stairs.

Once outside, he breathed a full inhale of Canterlot freedom air. The city street was bustling with snobby unicorns and fancy-hat wearing upper crust ponies. It was exactly how he imagined it would be, although the city structures themselves are a lot nicer that he thought. He trotted eagerly towards his apartment, which was not too far from his new job. And when he got to the eighth floor, he unlocked the apartment and stepped inside. The apartment was half unpacked, several moving boxes still lying about. Boxes labeled with either 'REM' or 'VAL' were scribbled on the sides of them. Remington reached into the kitchen box and pulled out a cup with his wing. Using the kitchen faucet, he poured himself a glass of water and drank it. It was satisfying.
"Ahhh. It's true. Mountain cap water is better than Manehatten city water." Remington poured another glass and then walked over to the couch to recline. When he sat down, he noticed the silence in the apartment as Valen's absence. "Hm. I guess Val went shopping again," he said to himself. "I thought I told him the curtains were fine the way they were." Remington looked at the balcony doors, which in front of a beauty view of Canterlot's Palace, hung a pair of dark greenish gray drapes.

After a shrug, Remington saw himself sitting next to one of Valen's boxes, one that specifically was noted 'Private'. Curiously, Remington wondered what kind of private artifacts of the pony he knew so well would be in there. He wouldn't mind if he looked would he? After all, they've lived together for several years. Maybe it's a collections of photographs of the two stallions over the years. Remington started to peel open one of the corners of the box.

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngshiningbuttonsig_zps6d87c176.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

“And when we have finished all the documentation we can move onto discussing your future employment here at the LaGarange Fashion House. Don't worry- you aren't the first or last pony of your inclination we've worked with. You'd be surprised who Photo Finish brings in sometimes! Anyway, is this your first time in Canterlot Mister Orange? Or a least your first time to work?”

Valen had gotten pretty decent at making small talk with potential employers. It didn't come naturally to him, mostly on account of the fact that as the only child of the rich and powerful Oranges of Manehattan he never had to worry about one. As a foal he always believed he'd work in the family business in some manner and slowly but surely work his way up the ladder. Not so slowly. Probably fast. Nepotism was a great thing for those who benefitted. But as a young colt his life had taken some shocking and invigorating turns. Self discovery and pathos were probably less important for other colts to understand than it had been for Valen and as a result he perhaps rudely considered himself a bit mature in comparison. That seemed a little boisterous, but he could do with a bit of that. So much of his life was reserved.

“Wonderful. We'll talk at another time, Mr. Orange. I'll schedule your first shoot this weekend, yes?”

Spend your day in the academy and you might learn everything there was to learn from books and the stern eyes of teachers and professors who had deep and intimate knowledge of subjects that Valen didn't care much for. He did well due to his innate desire to do well and an understanding of what a good education meant, especially as an Orange who was expected to continue the family business. Spend your night drawing designs and working the hemlines of a cloth until you fell asleep. Spend your weekends as somepony else, making real money and becoming a mini-celebrity and then an honest one, all the while with the wool being placed so perfectly over the public's eyes that Valen was able to go ahead and live his life relatively unperturbed. Sure a few eagle eyed tabloids would occasionally make accusations but they went away quickly. Life was good.

“Hello, sir. Is there anything I can help you with? Oh, what curtain do you need?”

Academy came to a delightful end and it was time to move on to the next state of his life. But by now his interests and skills had directed him to a new path, one that took him away from working for the Orange family business. Fashion- that was his life. And what city was more fashionable than Canterlot? So many opportunities and it was even closer to Ponyville and Miss Rarity. His parents were a bit disappointed but they understood and even offered a place they had on retainer in Canterlot. Luckily he wouldn't have to face it alone. Remington was a good friend and one who had gotten better and better as they grew older and closer together. Remington was looking for a new place to start a new phase just as Valen was, so why not go with Valen? Worked well. Valen leveraged his parents to get Remington a job as an accountant and they were off.

“Ohh, a wonderful heater selection. Just replace the duramagick batteries for consistent heating and warm water. Much better than the ones most apartments come equipped with, I assure you.”

Now he was going to ensure they would live comfortably. The apartment was paid for the first few months and after that it would fall on them. That should give the pair long enough to save up some bits and do what must be done, so for now Valen was concerned with setting them up for the long haul. He had an idea for both the beauty of interior decorating as well as the hard-charging bullheadedness that came with simple and clean functionality. So while Remington was suffering through the first day at work as an accountant Valen was suffering from Canterlot's well planned ciity streets and storefronts. On second thought, it wasn't much of a suffering sort of situation for him, now was it?

Maybe Remington would think so once Valen went to work. Valen was much more concerned with how they went about making up their apartment than Remington. It probably had something to do with appearances. Maybe if Valen ever subjected himself to Remington's talent they could have an awkward and revealing conversation. Until such a time came, Valen would chalk it all up to his constant desire to arrange and re-arrange the things in his life, up to and including himself. Friends, family pecking order, his own desires, goals- they all seemed to be small blocks he could move around to create something new. There were some constants at the top of each individual pecking order of course such as Remington but by and large his life was in a constant state of arrangement. Just like their new burner stove. “That will be lovely. Tell the delivery ponies I'll tip them double if they can get it to the apartment by the weekend, alright? It's been a pleasure. Have a wonderful day,” Valen finished his shopping day not long after Remington would finish his first day on the job.

It didn't take long for Valen to make his way home. Along the way he had picked up some fine Prancian food for the two of them. He wasn't sure if Remington would like it but Valen preferred a few smaller and lighter meals as opposed to three big meals. Was easier on the body and digestion! He wasn't a foodie or a health nut by any means, but he also found it helped his schedule. Rare was the life well lived around a dining schedule and he counted himself wealthy to be one of them. Valen opened the door...to see Remington poking through valen's stuff. Valen wasn't one for hiding stuff anymore but that didn't equal a desire to share everything.

“Hey!” He shouted to get his roomie's attention. He then trotted forward and pout the food on the wicker table. 'brought some Prancian! Hope you like it. How was the grind?”

xOYervQ.png

The moment the door opened, Remington scooted away from the box and took his hoof off the end of it. He pretended to not touch it, even though he could see Valen saw him attempt to open it. Remington's hoof was awkwardly hanging to the side, so he continued to swing it out around over his head and turn the action into a stretch and yawn. It made sense to him, he was sort of exhausted anyway. Valen set some prench food on the table and asked about the job. "Oh sure, that's fine. I don't remember the last time I've had prench. Here's to my first official meal in Canterlot." Remington hadn't eaten yet, mostly because he spent all list night trying to rearrange his bedroom enough to be able to crash in a mattress. And when he woke, cleaned himself and set out for work, he didn't know his way around town enough to find a good place to eat some breakfast. And even if he had, he left his bits at home. This was probably the most unorganized Remington had been all his life. And in front of his long time friend Valen who was known for his cleanliness, he was a little embarrassed about it. But, this was a crazy time of settling. Remington opened up one of the boxes and revealed it was a baked gratin with cucumbers. It looked and smelled delicious.

CucumberGratin_MED-458x326.jpg

As Remington ate, he spoke in between bites. "Work?" He hesitates to comment. After a short sigh, he realized the best thing was to be honest. "It's very boring. Not much different than work at the office I was at in Manehatten. There's opportunity to get promoted, so that's a plus. But," Remington shook his head, regretful that talking about his new job in this way might offend the friend that got him the job in the first place. Even though he trusted Valen, he also felt he was on thin ice. "I just don't think its for me. I'll stay there. Don't worry, I know I gotta pay my half of rent in the coming months. I just don't know how long I want to do this for, if I feel it's not what I'm meant to do, you know?" Remington regretfully shrugged. It wasn't like him to be this negative. He was often lighthearted and positive as a younger colt. But as he grew up, his innocence faded away, and the tortures of adult pony life began to creep in on his personality. "Dude, this food is amazing. Where did you get it?"

"And how was you're interview? Did you 'stun' them, like usual?" Remington stated with a smile, gesturing as he said the keywords.

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngshiningbuttonsig_zps6d87c176.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

ValenOrange1withtext.png

Valen laid out his own lunch as Remington got to his. Valen had Prench every so often but you never got the best stuff in Manehattan. As much as that city was a cultural runoff where bits and pieces of every city ended up, it was rarely the best parts of it. That involved Prench food which was often cooked a little less effectively and had ingredients that didn't match the very specific Prench appetite. Almost too fresh- you wanted produce at the height of their flavor, as ripe as they could be. Any time beforehoof and it would still be good but it didn't have the flavor that the proper Prench food did. Of course any time immediately afterward and the produce was rotten. It was a tight rope that only the Prench had decided to walk upon and Valen was pleased to discover that Canterlot had a better selection of higher quality eateries compared to Manehattan.
Concentrate wealth in a city with a sixth the population of Manehattan and you could get just about anything you wanted! In this case, good food. He was happy that Remington was enjoying it as it was not a normal staple of a Manehattan diet. “Goût exquis! It means Exquisite Taste in Prench. Wasn't, uhh, wasn't inexpensive but I figured we needed something to chow down on our first night. Like your Baked Gratin and Cucumbers? I got some Carrot-Ricotta Quiche,” Valen responded as he sat down next to his friend, eating his decidedly smaller portion viciously as Remmy continued.

Not a surprise, really. Remington's fate did not place him at a desk anywhere for long. He needed something ethereal and likely not very profitable, which was more than fine once Valen got his bearings and had his shoots and tours lined up. Valen didn't mind pulling more of his weight if it meant everypony would be happy. Above all things that mattered to him and while Remington was worrying, Valen only worried about Remington worrying about pulling his weight. They'd be fine. Even if he had to quit some time down the line it would be okay. His parents may be upset that his friend banked out on them but they were upset about many things these days. Nothing to be worried about as far as Valen was concerned.
He took a large bite and after forcing it down made sure to reassure his friend. “Don't worry, Remington. Do what you can how you can. I'm sure once you've gotten comfortable in this job you'll be able to tolerate it and when the time is right, move up. As for me...” Valen paused to slurp down some more, finishing his thought and food, “my interview went well. Hopefully they'll take me on.” he finished with a smile, not being too direct. After all, Remington didn't need to know everything about everything! “So, what are our plans tonight? More unpacking or just relaxing? More training for your dream works?”

• 4 weeks later...

xOYervQ.png

Valen's question reminded Remington of the fact that most of the apartment wasn't done being unpacked. "Unpack. Ugh. You know, when I thought of moving here, I felt for some reason like it would be like a permanent vacation. Moving somewhere new has that affect I guess. But this is different than the apartment we had in Manehatten. In the city, it was ok to take my time. I slept at my parents for a week before my stuff was finally moved. I did what I wanted. I had freedom. But right now? It just feels like work. I know it'll settle eventually, but I guess I'm just tired. You don't mind if it takes me until the weekend to put some of this stuff away, right?"

Remington walked over to one of his boxes, and pulled out a strange device. It had a head, the shape of one of his favorite comedians from the city, and it was on a spring that made the head waggle as you moved it around. It was a pretty useless item. "You know, when I packed this thing, I felt like I needed it. But I imagine a lot of this is just junk. Amazing what a little change in lifestyle can do to you, huh?"

ValenOrange1withtext.png

Yeah. A permanent vacation. Wouldn't that be just dandy? Valen wouldn't have to worry about work ever again. Nothing was finer than a nice relaxing day on the beach with a sweet drink; it only made sense that a lifetime of such delight would be best. But alas, moving was not a vacation that he could count on to produce anything like a good time. It was just hard work, sweat equity into their new home an additional cost that would be paid up front. Oh well. Valen wasn't as excited by the prospect of moving as Remington had been, probably on account of Valen having traveled the width and breadth of the land as part of his career. "Just some sweat equity Remmy. Put your back into your work now so when all is said and done you have a place you can call home for a very long time. I'll rub your back if it feels too much like work, Remmy," Valen joked and stuck his tongue out and followed Remington some.

He pulled out one of those joke-faces. Shockingly expensive pieces of tomfoolery but all together not too exciting. It was shaped like one of his comedians- Valen couldn't remember the name. But to call it junk? Valen would toss water on that idea swiftly."Junk? Nah. More like a memento! You don't see a lot of merchandise with whats his face on it. Besides, someone gave that to you. Stuff like that you get a storage for and you only throw it away when you've fully moved on. And you haven't finished moving in just yet, so you can't possibly have moved on! Need any help with your stuff? My day was pretty light," Valen said with a smile. Technically his job was far more physical but Valen was good at hiding discomfort...among other elements of his personality.

• 1 month later...

xOYervQ.png

The red pegasus finished up munching on his food, listening to Valen's overly positive responses. "Moved on..." Remington repeated after Valen helped him validate his so-called junk. Remington looked around the apartment in exploration. He hadn't realized before the different light levels in certain corners of the room. He had been here only a couple days so far, anyway. The pony recognized how new everything really was about his current experience. "Yeah, moved on." Remington smiled sensitively. "I guess it hasn't really sunk in yet that I moved from the big city to a Canterlot apartment. It feels right, but it also feels so... ...new. I'm sure for you it's no big deal. I moved to Manehatten when I was pretty young. But you, you moved to Ponyville for a time, came back to Manehatten, and you've seen lots of places doing your work. I'm pretty grounded for a pegasus." He gave a cheeky smile and started digging through a box.

"Yeah I guess I could use your help unpacking stuff. I don't really have a particular place I want certain things. Just put them wherever you feel like." Remington pulled out several books, placing them on an empty bookshelf one by one using his mouth. The books mostly consisted of dream journals. But there were also some encyclopedias and reference guides as well. He then pulled out a poster that was neatly rolled up. He unrolled it and pinned it to his bedroom door. It was a movie poster for Space Wars Episode 7. After the poster, he pulled out a picture with frame, and set in on the table after dusting it off with his wing. The picture was of him several years ago standing with Princess Luna when she visited Manehatten during the annual Nightmare Nights festival at his local public school. He felt awfully lucky as it was the first and only time he had gotten to meet the princess, but he wasn't able to speak with her, as there were too many foals seeking her attention for an autograph or a picture. So much of Rem's life dream was spent being fascinated with the princess of the night, how she raises the moon and how she protects in the dreamscape. Remington sighed as he recalled that day. "How do you think she does it? How do you think she is able to see other pony's dreams?" He asked Valen, although Valen had been asked this question several times before.

• 3 weeks later...

ValenOrange1withtext.png

Valen had to consistently remind himself that all of this was new to his friend, who up until now had existed in a state of blissful normalcy and homeward bound thinking and awareness. Now here he was, away from everything that made him comfortable, away from friends and family. Well, all friends except for Valen. He was going to be the constant until Remington could go out and make friends, which knowing how kindly and warm a pony Remington was wouldn't take entirely too long. Remington deserved a circle of friends as kindly and understanding as he was and Valen was committed to the possibility he would. They had a nice place to set the stage, too- while nopony would believe they were the top stars living the high life, it was a nice place. They could even get a bit of an expansion if somepony else wanted to move in. What more could they ask for? It was also true that it wasn't all that new for Valen. He had lived in Ponyville for a while and traveled the width and breadth of Equestria for his job. It was certainly easier for him, but that went both ways. Valen may be comfortable but Remington was better at making honest friends.

Valen listened to his friend as he helped unpack stuff. All things considered it was always good to bring a little bit of home, that which makes you most comfortable, along with you no matter where you go. Remington had a good number of encyclopedias and journals relating to his special talent and who could blame him- something as interpretive as dreams required a good education and note taking, he supposed. There was little else Valen could imagine that required as sharp a mind tempered by a softness of spirit, both of which Remington had in great quality. Remington had a nice movie poster- Valen enjoyed the series himself but he found the last trilogy to be so disappointing that his excitement was leveled a bit- and together this place was looking a little bit more like home. Valen, being the neat freak perfectionist he could be, was working on getting picture frames with the happiest of pictures all lined up when Remington spoke about the Princess. Ahh, Luna. She was a good pony. So many ponies around Valen had been visited by the Princess of the Night in their dreams, dreams Remington could soon interpret just as well.

“Well...she is powerful. Very magical. I heard Princess Twilight can create structures inside the negative space outside of reality. If she can do that and Celestia and Luna can raise the sun and moon, I suppose it makes sense that the elder sisters would have more powerful side abilities. Since Luna is the steward of the night and the night is where dreams happen, it makes sense, I guess. I wonder what Celestia's is?” Valen pondered as he cracked open a box of some of Remington's clothes. The stitching wasn't the best but now that they were in a new city what better time than new to get something new? Valen hummed as he continued his work, delicately placing Remington's belongings in private locations. Wouldn't want to make him fuss over it!

• 4 weeks later...

xOYervQ.png

"Yeah I guess." Rem did not want to feel overly disappointed with a 'just because' response. He obessed himself with Luna's ability to do so, and maybe too much, despite it being connected to his lifelong interest. It was ironic for Remington to get over the obstacle of his own perspective. He seemed to be able to see things through other pony's eyes and feelings really well, but when it came time for him to analyze his own self and his reflections, he was stumped. It's was mostly fine though, he didn't figure his life that interesting anyways.

But it did start to fester a little bit. So much so that may have made a brash decision.
"You know what? When I go into work tomorrow, I'll try to even it out, maybe it will get better. But if it doesn't, I think I should just be honest with myself and quit the job while I'm ahead. I don't want to be imprisoned with having to work a job I don't like." Remington wasn't sure if he was being rash or if he finally had a hint of common sense. Regardless, he still looked to his best friend for support.

ValenOrange1withtext.png

Celestia help his friend, but Valen could only roll his eyes a little at Remington's overly dramatic proclamation. He knew that getting Remington a job at the sort of position that was available was likely not to be anything that'd last too long. It did not jive. But it was also important to Valen that Remington get something solid going underneath his hooves so that he could stand up in this brave new world as his own stallion. If Valen was being honest with himself he knew he could provide for the both of them once he got his career here off and going. It wouldn't even be a problem, really. Remington's job was less about what he needed to do to pull his own weight and more about what he had to do to pull himself into the future ahead of him. That job was symbolic, and symbolism sometimes had importance far outpacing the real deal.

“Don't be so hasty and silly, Remmy. You don't want to throw what is a pretty good job to start out with after one full day of work because it doesn't tickle you. Part of being an adult is responsibility! You have to make sure you can provide and get by. Finding a job you love is a goal, something you need to constantly strive for, but you don't drop jobs after a taste just because they don't suit your fancy. Besides, you can't get better jobs if they look at your employment history and it's a bunch of pegasi manure. Just give this job a chance. If you want I can look around for you and see what else is available, but don't move to a city and toss out the first job you can get- and a good one- because you're being a bit antsy,” Valen chided in a friendly manner as he continued to help his friend unpack. He had brought a lot of stuff. “So, what DIDN'T you bring?” Valen asked jovially, smiling as he wondered if there'd be any room left for his stuff.

• 1 month later...

xOYervQ.png

Remington had a flattened look. Valen was right, there was no need to be rash about his job. Although it was so convincing listening to his well-spoken friend's advice now. Would he really feel the same way in the morning? If the job got worse tomorrow, Remington still wasn't sure how he would react. He wanted to be optimistic, but he understood the possibility for optimism to just not be present in his situation. He would feel it out.

And he smiled.
"Yeah, I brought a lot of junk. I'll probably get rid of some of it. Even if it is stuff I loved before, I probably wouldn't miss most of it if it just vanished tomorrow." Remington started moving some heavier boxes into his bedroom, attempting to stash stuff in order of unpacking. The food Valen got him sat happily in his stomach. Remington was a good pony with just as much aspiring dreams as the next pony. But he is lucky to have a friend like Valen. Sometimes he is not sure where he would be without him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was worse.

Remington felt like climbing the walls. But considering the walls of his cubicle were not that much taller than his withers, it wouldn't really be much of a climb. Fortunately, he was able to avoid most of the contact with his superiors, who always seemed to like repeating themselves and their jokes. Remington stared at the clock waiting for quitting time to arrive. And just as soon as he felt that he was home free, his boss intervened.

"Hey Remington. Yeah. So, I was looking at those files you turned in earlier?"

"Yeah, the weekly sales diagnostic report?"

"Yeah. See, you printed the report on the wrong letterhead. It needs to be on the OLP letterhead initialed with the department address, and you gave it the OLT letterhead. Yeah."

"Oh, but the report is fine right?"

"Yeah, the report. See, I'm going to need you to be a bit more careful, ok? We can't have too many of these types of issues become a bigger problem. Ok? Yeah."

"Um, sure, it won't happen again."

"Alright, keep it up Sparky. Oh and I'm going to need you to come in on the weekend, OK?"

"Sparky? The weekend? But that-"

"Ok, thanks."

Remington sighed. He gathered his stuff to tried and walk out.

"Hey, Sparky!"

"Please don't call me th-"

"Hey, before you go, I just needed to talk to you. I got those sales diagnostic reports."

"Yeah, I know, I used the wrong-"

"You used the wrong letterhead. You used the OLT letterhead, and you should have used the OLP letterhead."

"Yeah, Mr. Clementine just told me that."

"Yeah. Let's not let that happen again. We would hate to see such a bright young colt like yourself turn out to be a bad orange, OK Sparky?"

Remington blew a fuse. The insides of his soul were constantly being pressure to explode. "LOOK! I'm not going to take this! If you want me to do every little task the perfect way you want it, then you do it! I'm tired of being pressured around like I don't mean anything. I'm better than this. I don't need you." Remington pointed at the other boss. "I don't need him. And I don't need any of this pathetic workload keeping me from my potential. So you can take your reports and shove it up where the oranges don't shine. Got it!?" Remington was breathing heavily, he wasn't sure if he had ever acted this angry in his whole life. The boss who was listening to him looked like he had seen a ghost.

Remington walked into the apartment and closed the door behind him. He looked so dejected, like he failed miserably to do something he always wanted to do. He went to the ice box and pulled out jug of orange juice. We would have preferred something else, but it was all they had at the moment. He poured himself a glass and drank it quickly. After putting the juice away he walked to the living room and crash landed on a couch that was not in its proper place just yet.
"I guess Valen isn't home yet. I wonder if he wants to do something today. After the day I've had, I need to do something."

Unbeknownst to Ruby Pinch, the newest addition (or one of) to this apartment, was in the next room, conversing with a dear old friend of hers!

She was excited to be in the city, but very apprehensive. Sure, Berry was worried about her precious Pinchy going away to the big city, but at least it wasn't Manehattan or Baltimare. Or Stalliongrad. She hated the cold... No, instead it was Canterlot, the beautiful, sunny capital of Equestria! Excited and apprehensive.. A difficult mix to contend with in a new place, even if it wasn't all that new. She wanted to see the sights and explore! But, she knew she didn't really belong with the 'elite'. She didn't really consider herself a celebrity, but she was recognized in public all the time after being in magazine after magazine. It was good money, but the exposure was a bit taxing at times. Now she understood why Fluttershy seemed so nervous when she did it when Pinchy was only a foal. She never imagined she'd get this far with it, or that she'd do much better than she did. Yet, here she is! At least everypony back home was very supportive and happy for her. 

She was just happy Gilded was kind enough to offer her a place to stay! It saved her the trouble of having to have her agent find her a place that was way too flashy or expensive for her. Not that Gilded's apartment was a dump by any stretch of the word! It's was gorgeous! And convenient for her to boot! This way, she'd be closer to work, she wouldn't have to deal with trainrides and hotel rooms as much anymore, and she gets to see old friends! Spend time with them, even! She couldn't thank Valen enough, but that would have to come later. For now, the young modeling mare was quite content with chewing the fat with the lovely Gilded, a marefriend from way back! 

"This is so great! I've always wanted to live in Canterlot, but, you know... Mom was always afraid of me going to the city. You know how she is."

"Oui, oui. Some mares aren't suited for ze city life, Pinchy. How have yoo been? Have not seen for some time it seems. Or maybe just few months. Hard to tell- good friendships, long distance, much tristesse."

It had been quite some time, hadn't it? Certainly way too long for old friends. 

"Uhm... I've been good, for the most part! Just working, really. OH! I got a new agent! She looked like a crabby old librarian when I first met her, but she's super nice! She just won't let me eat whatever I want. Need to stay on this diet. It stinks, but... That's the price I pay. What about you?"

It was true. Her new agent was quite the aged mare, but she definitely knew her way in the modeling business. She had only been working with Mrs. Crabs (as she affectionately calls her in her head thanks to that eternal scowl) for a couple of weeks now, but she already has a couple of exciting shoots lined up! Much better than her last agent, who just seemed to keep giving her the 'talks fell through, I'll find you something soon I promise' talk. Only downside to this one was, again, the strictly enforced diet. 'one bite begets another' she kept reminding Pinchy. Of course, that didn't mean she didn't cheat every now and then.

"Vhy vould you eeeevveerrr need a diet, madame? You have a figure mares kill to have and stallions kill to touch. But I know that sacrifice vell. Diet for many years now, oui? Oui. I am vell. Vorking in ze big city presents such opportunity! Expensive, oui. But if you plan on doing great things, expect big risk. Already have some vork lined up. To vhat do I owe this pleasure, beauté?"

"Getting settled in and wanted to see you, of course! I feel like we don't get to hang out as much as we used to. But, now I'm just a starry-eyed country bumpkin who wants to spend time with one of her most best friends in Equestria, so you should show me around! That'd be fun, right?"

[Gilded dialogue provided by Steel]

ValenOrange1withtext.png

"That sounds like an exquisite idea, Pinchy. Where vould you like to go? Oh, before we go- we should get ready! Do you want anything to drink?"

This was a wonderful conversation Valen was having with Pinchy, but it was incredibly difficult. Fact was that while he had not known she was coming but was preparing for the possibility, he didn't know it was going to be today. He had big plans in store for her, big ones, but they required more time. Running into her at the Fashion House was always a welcoming experience but this time had been fraught with certain dangers. Could he have been any less prepared? Luckily as Gilded he didn't have to play too big a role. It was easy for him to be Gilded now. From the way he moved to the way he spoke as her, he had plenty of admirers. The fact he had to try and he had to put in effort to be that way meant he was better at than most mares were. This would not be an important element at the Fashion House, where it was Gilded who was technically employed.

But it would be an important element at the apartment. The whole time he was speaking with her, Valen panicked internally. When was Remington coming home? What was he going to do? Valen had offered Pinchy a place to stay as Gilded, and only as a nice gesture. He had expected her to say no. Then after the possibility became real, he had panicked a hundred different ways. There was only two rooms. Where would she sleep? The real question was how to handle Valen and Gilded. He had been able to hop around and come up with a new idea- buy a small place for Gilded, have Valen move in with Remington, and then when Pinchy rrived she wouldn't have to ask questions.

Of course that needed time. Just a few weeks at work would be enough for a small place. But not this fast. But he couldn't say no. He could never say no to her. Ever since he first saw her in Ponyville, Valen had been head over heels for her. She said jump, he said how high. He wanted to date her- she wanted a friend. As Gilded he got further, but she had quickly dropped the whole filly phase and wanted herself a nice, strong colt. Which Valen wasn't, because he was a filly himself half the time. But he had still been there, panting like a hot dog as Valen and being one of her best friends as Gilded. So he offered her a place as Gilded, she had said maybe, and he lacked the capability to deny her. So here she was. And he was getting water, because his mind had shut off.

He walked out into the living room, the pair having moved their discussion into Valen's room some time ago. What he found was his roommate, looking less than pleased and sullen. And here was Valen, being all Gilded Lilly, stuck in pose and position for a moment. Just a moment. Before Remington saw him, Valen leaped at him, hooves over his mouth.
“Shhh! Not. A. Word,” Valen whispered warm into Remington's ear, nearly straddling him as he pulled away.
“Just whatever you do, for the love of Celestia, play along!” Panic evident in his voice, Valen pulled himself off of his roomie and dusted himself off. He then cleared his throat and shot it back up into Gilded.
“Oh, look at zis. Mah roommate has come home! Pinchy, come say hello to Remington!”

• 3 weeks later...

xOYervQ.png

Remington was pounced on. At first he didn't know who it was. As soon as he realized it was Valen, Remington started to panic without being able speak. Was the orange juice not for Remington too? He wouldn't get that mad at drinking orange juice would he? It's ok! Remington thought to Valen. I didn't drink straight from the jug like last time, see? When Valen whispered the command and pulled away from his mouth, Remington could see Valen in his work uniform, for lack of a better word. At that moment, he realized there was a third pony, a mare in the apartment.

Now Remington's history with girls was very composed. He was not one to really get overly excited about meeting young mares. As a foal, he was easy to get along with, and since his cutie mark was obtained, had always had constant friendships with many fillies. However, he was never one to commit to a relationship that went deeper than just friends. He could be a mare's stallion, but never entertained the idea.
"Oh. Hi, Pinchy, is that a nickname?  It's cute. Lils didn't tell me we would have guests today." Remington looked over at Valen, a smirk on his face. "I just got home from work, whicha, by the way, vGilded, I gotta talk to you about.  So what's the occasion? Let me guess. Old friends?" Remington knew bout Valen's alter self. But he also knew that his ability to make friends was about the only thing Valen could not fake out of both of his ponysonas.

• 2 weeks later...

“Oh, look at zis. Mah roommate has come home! Pinchy, come say hello to Remington!”

Why did that name seem kindof familiar...? Of course regardless, she ventured out to see Gilded and the red stallion, Remington! 

"Hi! Um-"

She had to pause for a moment, trying to overcome a bashful smile. Even being in a business where she gets them often, she always did get a bit flustered at compliments, no matter how slight. "Yeah, it's what my friends always called me. My name's Ruby Pinch"

She'd have to ask Gilded more about him when they have some time to themselves. But, of course she wasn't going to hastily whisk the mare away to tour the city now that there were formalities to be had! "Very old friends! I met Gilded back when I was still in school in Ponyville. I was a little troublemaker back then, but she didn't seem to mind! We just had a lot of girl time and got to play together all the time... Anyway, she offered me a place to stay here in the city, and since it's better than taking the train in every time I have a photo shoot, I did some thinking and decided it was time to finally move out of my mom's vineyard. Of course she was a puddle when I left, but she knows I won't forget about her"

She was thankful she had such a great relationship with her mother. She have to write her about her first day! But that was a job for later. This was a job for now!

"So what do you do for work, if you don't mind me asking, Remington?"

The pressure was off Gilded for now, it seemed, as Pinchy seemed interested in her roommate.

ValenOrange1withtext.png

Valen could feel the weight of the world melt away into the homely environment around them, pleased as punch as his two friends commiserated and got to the friendship making. Valen for his part was willing to step back and allow them to talk. It gave him the time to think and ponder the situation and try to formulate a plan that didn't see everypony put into an odd position. Well, odder than it was already, with two good friends orbiting around a liar and only now really getting to know one another. Valen couldn't begin to imagine where this would go. If he could, maybe he could have reversed the hands of time and decided to abandon cruel fate's designs for the chaotic imaginings of risk, but even as Gilded's life collided into his, Valen was a risk averse stallion.

Everything Pinchy said was true, to an extent. Valen had lived in Ponyville for a while and it was there where he met the incomparable Ruby Pinch. She didn't know Valen and instead knew Gilded because of photo shoots and how Apple Bloom had convinced Valen to attend school. It could have been worse he supposed and a life long friendship was worth a little bit of duplicity here and there, right? Who you were and what you portrayed yourself to be may not always be the same and that may be dishonest, but if you did it for the benefit of others and to enrich their lives as well as yours...well, where was the harm in that? One of his cousins would say a lot, but he had two great friends who benefited from it all. No matter though, as Gilded smiled and slinked away as the pair spoke.

Think, think, think. Okay, Gilded was in play. That would be fine for now, though he had several packages and ponies on the way to meet Valen. He'd have to meet them elsewhere. And as long as he kept his demeanor in check, everything should be fine. What should he do now? Get drinks. Yes. Get drinks. Orange juice. Everypony loved orange juice. Or apple juice, but orange would have to suffice. Gilded poured several glasses nd put them in a plate, balancig it with practiced ease before trotting back in. “Some nice drinks, oui? So happy to ze all of zis come together!”

• 3 weeks later...

xOYervQ.png

"Oh you met in Ponyville? I was there for a Summer. Parents kept wanting me to get out and experience the world." Remington clenched his hoof. "But then I realized when I got home they just wanted me out of their manes. I don't blame them. You said Gilded has a place for you? Oh that's nice of her. Where's that?" Remington loved playing these kinds of games. It seemed like something Valen was keeping from Remington, but as long as he played along, there was no reason why Remington shouldn't be allowed to find out more about what was going on, all whilst in character, of course. "I thought she was being generous by letting me be a roommate, but he has another place? Wow. I wish I was a close enough friend to her to get my own place!" Remington said jokingly aloud, looking at Valen the whole time as he grabbed a glass of orange juice with his wing. "Um well, what I do for a living is kind of complicated."

Remington hesitated to share the news, but since Ruby was close friends with at least one of Valen's personalities, she was a friend of Remington's too. "Ya see, Gilded knows this stallion, who uh, has a family who works in the orange industry. And they were able to hook me up with a job in Manehatten, and then I was able to get a transfer to Canterlot where I help oversee marketing and sales on the eastern side of Equestria." Remington took a large swig of orange juice, took a breath and revealed today's news. "I'll be honest. I don't like my job. It's just a bunch of paper pushing, and I don't enjoy it. What I really want to do is work in psychology. I like dreams and I have this talent of interpreting dreams. I need to perfect it, but it's just really hard trying to figure out how I can use that talent as a way to make a living. I don't want to be some streetside fortune teller. So anyway, since I hate my job, I lashed out at my superior, gave him a piece of my mind so he could fire me and be done with it, and well, now my life is as worse as it's ever been.  And I'm starting to hate orange juice." Remington downed the rest of his orange juice casually. "Well, maybe I'm being too harsh. It is just a job after all, not my life." Remington stared at the ground, not sad or embarrassed, but just unsure where to bring the conversation next.

• 4 months later...

The rosy unicorn played sheepish, smiling. "Oh, well I thought I was staying here, perhaps. I'm not sure if she has my own place set up, though I agree, regardless it's remarkably kind of her. Honestly, from all the years I've known her, I don't think I'd ever be able to return her kindness...She's the one who got me into modeling in the first place. She helped me gain enough confidence to try it, and encouraged me all the way..." But hey, that's what friends are for, right? "Either way, Gilded is the most honest mare I know. If she told me there was gold under my bed back in Ponyville, I would've looked, and probably found some! So if she says she has a place for me, I trust her. That's why I came out here!"

Happily accepting the orange juice, out of habit she checked the consistency... And to see if her agent was sneaking around, waiting to burst out at any moment and scold her for not checking for pulp! She wasn't sure if it mattered, but again, she trusted her agent. She seemed to trust pretty easy, but it had worked out in her favor thus far. For the most part. Her horn glowed as she took her glass, smiling to her marefriend. "Thank you, Lilly~!"

She listened to what the crimson stallion had to say about his working conditions, offering her undivided attention a she sipped at the finely squeezed juice. It sounded... Well, awful! But if a friend got him the job, she could also see why he might've gone along with doing it. There's a lot of things she'd do for a friend.

"Well, if what I think counts for anything, maybe you should pursue psychology instead! You know what they say, if you enjoy what you do, you'll never work a day in your life! That, and if your bosses are giving you a hard time, or you think there's a little more drama or tension than you think is healthy for your work environment... Oh, but I don't mean to assume, I've... Never really worked in an office. Sorry... Anyway, it sounds like your stallion friend is very very generous, and is trying to help you by hooking you up with work. But, I'm sure he'll also understand if it's not a good fit for you."

But, she just couldn't shake this feeling of... familiarity. She squinted at Remmington, studying him intensely. Realizing she was probably staring for a moment longer than appropriate, she beamed as the relation finally clicked!

"Waaait... I... I think I remember you! Were you that colt that fell asleep all the time?"

He must be! There was a particular field trip that stuck out to her the most... She still remembered it after all these years. But, of course, she had to make sure this was still the same pony, and thus, awaited his answer!

ValenOrange1withtext.png

The revelation regarding just how poor Remington's day had gone did little to soothe Valen's worries. If anything he had wanted to hear that Remington had turned things around. But no. Exact opposite. He had turned around right into the unemployment line, which was a bad thing when you were a country stallion in the big city where things cost ten times as much and you needed an academy degree to get an entry level position in any job of worth. This had been the hidden beauty of what Valen had done, and it was the rue terror that had revealed itself. If Remington couldn't be trusted to handle a job he didn't like for just two days...”Oh, I'm sure somezing will come up. As for your portion of ze rent, I suppose it can be covered relatively easy, oui? I'll start my shows early, vous peu ridicule guimauve,” Valen teased, trying to work everything out mentally.

Of course none of this took into account the Pinchy Problem. He couldn't send her away- she had a place to stay, and he couldn't say no to her anyway. But the timeline was all screwed up. The idea had been to transition everything so Valen was here and Gilded was over there. But that was going to be very difficult if not impossible to do now. There was a layer of complexity he wasn't sure he could accomplish. And with Pinchy here all the time, he would have to devote some work time to make the plan work. But of course that work time was going to be extended and eaten up by needing to do more work on account of how Remington had turned a job dead in two days. So for now he would have to allow Gilded to live here with Remington and Pinchy. And either he could get his plan to work or...well, he'd think of something else. But for now, pleasant fun time talk. Yes, get to know one another! It would make everything less awkward for him!

“Oui, he is! He has ze narcolepsy, but is very brave- does very well with it! I doubt you'll find anypony who can handle such zings as well as Remmy, oui,” Valen began, following with a giggle, “he is very good friend too, vonderful stallion,” sip, “oh, and oui, you stay here with us. Ze rooms are big enough. In good time maybe you want new place, but for now, zis can work if you vant to try,” Valen asked, taking a large sip to hide his worried face behind the cup. Well, it was time to see if he could make everything turn out all right.

• 2 months later...

banner_applejack_zpscd51b6b0.png

As Valen tried to take the ease off Remington, and perhaps change the subject in his Prench accent, it was obvious Remington hadn't actually filled in the complete details.  In his colorful story of how horrible he thinks his job is, he failed to mention that termination was not actually the result.  "Rent?  I don't think you understand.  I didn't get fired.  See what happened was..."

"So you can take your reports and shove it up where the oranges don't shine. Got it!?"  Remington paused.  And once he realize what he had said, he waited for a negative reaction.

"That.  Was.  AMAZING!  Ho ho, I knew they said the new kid had spunk, but I had no idea how assertive you are.  You know what?  How would you like to be the lead sales organizer.  We've been looking to fill that spot with someone trying to move up in the business, and you got just what we need.  And you know what?  I'm not even gonna ask.  It's yours!"

"But..."

"See ya Monday!"

"I got promoted.  I stink at my job so much, I can't even quit right.  So now I'm in charge of the boredom."  Remington grunted a little

Ruby appeared to recognize Remington though.  And Gilded validated it.  Remington as he explained it, blushed.  "Yeah, that's me.  I don't fall asleep as often any more, and I have more control over it, but I do love sleep.  Who doesn't?"  He smiled at Ruby, finding it interesting that she would recognize him from so long ago.  He felt a little ashamed he didn't remember her.  Maybe he was asleep every time she talked.

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngshiningbuttonsig_zps6d87c176.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

• 1 month later...

Pinchy only seemed to get more excited, squealing softly and clapping her hooves. "Ohmygosh this is so great! I haven't been able to keep in touch with too many ponies from school! You know Cheerilee's still teaching? You should come see her sometime! I bet she'd recognize you! She has a better memory than I do!"

She was starting to get caught up in the nostalgia of it all. She had such an awesome foalhood. Carefree and without a worry in the world. It was actually starting to make her regret leaving her mother back in Ponyville. Before she could get too choked up about it, she focused back into what Remmy was saying.  "Who doesn't?"

"Ooooh I love sleeping!!" she grunted, giggling as she rested back in her seat. "I'm not allowed to sleep too much, or too little. Mrs. Hurdle, my manager won't let me. Says I'll get bags under my eyes. But as long as I have a place to sleep, I don't mind it. I think this is gonna be a lot of fun, just the three of us!"

Sitting up again, she made a sudden lunge and gave Remmington a big hug "You and Gilded are so awesome! I wanna apologize in advance in case anything I do gets on your nerves! I mean, I know I'm kinda loud and I'm up early, but I'll try to be a good roommate, promise! It's just my first time actually living away from home... I hope mom's doing okay..."

ValenOrange1withtext.png

That was a pleasant turnaround on what he had expected the story with Remington to go. So instead of being fired for an outburst he had been promoted? Celestia above, were the Oranges so poorly ran lately that they promoted anypony with a little spine even if they made clear their indifference or distaste for the job? Sweet mother of mercy, that was no way to run a business! On the other hoof, he figured he should count himself lucky that Remington was still employed. That would help with rent and keep him occupied and stop Valen from losing his mind with jobs. Bonuses abound, really, if he was in the mood to see them. And good on the promotion? "Ah! Vell zhen. Zounds like you should have good time, no?" Valen asked with a laugh, "poor guimauve. Worry not, you work now and find job to suit you later, oui?"

Onto the subject of the hour, Ruby. Okay, she was excited to be here. Good? Yes, good. Good good. Umm, how to make it work. Okay. The apartment only had two rooms. Remington had brought a load more than Valen- and given time, he would reduce that even less to ensure no evidence remained- So they share a room, and he would come up with ways to make the transition easier. When all was said and done, everypony would win. Yes. Everypony. No problem. Don't look nervous or upset or in any way as of this wasn't a good thing haha no plans ruined, nope, everything was fine. Valen looked around. "I am quite sure you will be delightful roommate. You will stay with me in my room- when will stuff get here? Must make some outside errand though. Vould you like to come with? Oh, a vutterfly!" She offered excitedly, before whispering to Remington. "Put my stuff in your room while we're gone, please- the normal Valen stuff, pleaaaasssee?" he asked, turning back. "Oh no, was just eyelash. Vanna come, Ruby?"

(Time skip if y'all want)

Archived