Dead genres.

That depends on the type of fighting games. I'd say Mortal Kombat, Smash Bros. Guilty Gear and Soul Calibur are still viable. 

One genre that did die out that was once very popular are dancing or instrument games like Dance Dance Revolution, Guitar Hero, and Rock Band. It think it's the idea of if a person wants to play a guitar or dance they don't need a game. 

Another I see that has died out is racing games. Sure we have Mario Kart and Forza, but there are not nearly as many racing games as the were a few years ago. 

No, you are talking about 2d fighting.

Beat 'em ups are completely different. Things like double dragon and TmnT arcade game are those, the beat 'em ups. But yeah, they died but were awesome on their time.

I agree with Scoot with rhythm games. I really like them, like rhythm heaven or proyect diva, but there are just a few out there and there is not that much attention to them.

Also, shoot 'em ups. I hadn't seen many new. The last one I saw was geometry wars, but I really liked it, still... that was it. I miss those games. I've only seen some new bullet hell games in steam, but they don't look that awesome as older ones.

That depends on the type of fighting games. I'd say Mortal Kombat, Smash Bros. Guilty Gear and Soul Calibur are still viable. 

One genre that did die out that was once very popular are dancing or instrument games like Dance Dance Revolution, Guitar Hero, and Rock Band. It think it's the idea of if a person wants to play a guitar or dance they don't need a game. 

Another I see that has died out is racing games. Sure we have Mario Kart and Forza, but there are not nearly as many racing games as the were a few years ago. 

Racing games depends on where you are looking. Console are dominated by the big 3. NFS, Forza and GT (and that new PS series is up in the air). On PC, it is a wholly different market. You got Assetto Corsica, F1, iRacing, R3E, rFactor.... and I know iRacing and rFactor are online subscription based so they are on constant updating schedule. 

Honestly no game is actually dead in terms of genre... Sidescrollers are big in the indie scene as are platformers and puzzle games. Rhythm games have become a different beast and are bigger in Japan than anywhere else. However I will say that instrument rhythm games have died out a bit. Rocksmith is still around though. 

I will say that Beatem Up are pretty much dead, and that kinda makes me sad. Lot of fond memories of those. 

No, you are talking about 2d fighting.

Beat 'em ups are completely different. Things like double dragon and TmnT arcade game are those, the beat 'em ups. But yeah, they died but were awesome on their time.

I agree with Scoot with rhythm games. I really like them, like rhythm heaven or proyect diva, but there are just a few out there and there is not that much attention to them.

Also, shoot 'em ups. I hadn't seen many new. The last one I saw was geometry wars, but I really liked it, still... that was it. I miss those games. I've only seen some new bullet hell games in steam, but they don't look that awesome as older ones.

I agree on the Beat 'em Ups, I cant tell you how many qarters I spent on Double Dragon and Altered Beast, not to mention owning S+V: Maximum Carnage and *snicker* Viewtiful Joe (now there was a fun BEU with it's tongue firmly in it's cheek)

I think FPS have replaced most shooters and done it well *huge HL fan* though it was fun to use the light-gun. 

Rythum Games were a niche to begin with, though I was sad because I loved the idea of the last Guitar Hero (or maybe it was Rockband) where would plugged in a (mostly) REAL guitar and learned to play the instrument legit. If the cost had been lower I would have absolutely bought that.

As mentioned Side-scrolling Platformers are in huge decline (though there is still the "New Super Mario Bothers" which says the market still wants them to some extent at least)

Also, maybe it's just nostalgia, but I just dont care for the new JRPGs complared to the classic SNES/PSX era ones (FFVI and EARTHBOUND/MOTHER being top of the list with ChronoTrigger being a close #3)  Though these have seen a minor renassance with easy-to-use tools like RPG Maker giving a lot of options (though likewise it means having to sift through a ton of turds to find a few gems)

In that same vein, top-down Dungeon Crawls like Zelda 1/3/LA/etc as opposed to the new 3D ones (Though dont get me wrong, I love Twilight Princess to death, it just feels like a completely different genre to the old style ones)

While I'm not saying the genre is dead, I haven't seen as much real time strategy games as I used to. Games like red alert and age of empires were so popular several years back, please tell me you guys remember those. As much fun as they were, I haven't seen any games with the same play style come out for years now. Honestly I thought real time would have lasted much longer (especially after seeing age of empires 3's inner box art).........either that or I'm not searching hard enough.

While I'm not saying the genre is dead, I haven't seen as much real time strategy games as I used to. Games like red alert and age of empires were so popular several years back, please tell me you guys remember those. As much fun as they were, I haven't seen any games with the same play style come out for years now. Honestly I thought real time would have lasted much longer (especially after seeing age of empires 3's inner box art).........either that or I'm not searching hard enough.

Well, you are right. There aren't that much rts now on day. The last one I saw was grey goo, although I actually liked it. I also have all thr C&C games [emoji14]

I hadnt seen any new from the most common ones. Just new dlcs for SC2.

Also, tactical shooters are almost dead, being Rainbow Six Siege a new game for that games... and that's it I guess...

I only see a lot of fps, mobas, bla bla bla...

I miss TBS games, like advance wars, fire emblem. All those games, alrhough there are new firemblems.

Also 4x games, like sins of a solar empire or Civilization, the obly new ones being of Civ with beyond earth.

Archived