D&D

Well, there was this one game I played where we were all friends from a small, hidden village. I was a male half-orc barbarian, one of my friends was a female half-orc warrior and my sister, another was a male halfling thief, and the last was a male gnome bard. The GM decided that we'd each have hand-me-down magic items from our parents. I can't remember what the others got, but I had a bag of holding from my barbarian father, and he'd left a rabbit in it for me.

Anyway, this is where things start to get interesting. When we make a camp for the first time on our way to the next village, I decide I want to cook up the rabbit, and I rolled a natural 20. I prepared the buck outta that rabbit! Then, I left the meal in the bag and proclaimed that I would now be wearing the rabbit's pelt on my head. The GM reminded me that it hadn't been tanned yet, but I didn't care! And things only got better from there, as when we arrived in the village he said that kids stopped playing and began screaming in horror about a monster, and they were referring to me. He had us roll spot checks, and I got another 20. He said I could see so well, I saw a rabbit in the distance, and when I started bringing my attention to the rabbit he had a fox catch it. I vowed vengeance on that day.

He had the villagers come out weapons ready, but realize it wasn't a monster, just a dumb barbarian. There was actually a celebration that night, and there was much drinking. The halfling thief noticed someone suspicious, and gave chase to them through the town. I drunkenly followed, and when my friend cornered them in an alley, I blocked off the other exit. My friend began grappling with the unknown person, and they were about the same height. I wanted to grab the mysterious one and hold them tight, but because it was night and I'd been drinking I had to make a difficult roll so I didn't grab my friend instead. I succeeded though, and we ended up capturing another halfling in a bear hug.

Then, finally, our group kind of fell apart, so we had to switch adventures. For the finale, the GM had set up an ambush. It was a surprise attack, and almost immediately our tanky fighter fell dead. I charged and killed 4 bandits with my greater cleave before I was taken down. The thief and bard actually managed to get away, though not unscathed.

And that is just one of the many adventures I'll share, but I can't keep going right now. IT'S TIME FOR PONY!

I consider myself a D&D player between games, even though it's been at least half a year now since I've done any dice rolling.

D&D itself was actually one of my least favorite systems I tried though.  It lends itself to generic fantasy, and in several of the games I was in I found myself getting bored of that.  It's still fun, but I prefer other systems and can find it harder to come up with characters.

I'd have to do some thinking to come up with specific stories, but I can say the groups I was with tended to be full of crazy people.  Sometimes this made things better, other times worse.  It meant the group was often geared toward being silly and having fun (over either getting too serious or sacrificing character/story for combat) and yet...I remember one session where we couldn't pursue the story because we had to spend the whole time stopping the warlock from carving eldritch symbols into his own arm.

I can also tell you that my favorite character I've ever played was a feral drake, and I'm convinced that's largely because that character was physically incapable of being the one sane voice in the party, a role which I'd ended up with by default a number of times.

I'd also started exploring the idea of non-combatant characters more and more, after having a lot of fun with an engineer in a Star Wars game.

I used to DM DND2.0 but it's been a long time... and I was a cruel DM because I made what I call "dynamic dungeons" specifically I would rearange the rooms based on how well the party was doing (once a room was palced though it stayed there --- but you enver knew what you were headed into!) and worse I'd punish lazy players, like a room that seemed to be full of pits... they started testing them as they walked... fake... fake... fake... fake... thent hey got lazy and stopped... oops, that one was real! :P

Also played some more recently, though not as many fun stories since I didn't get to go to more than a few games... though we had a lot of fun when we found treasure sunk to the bottom of a lake and we were trying to figure out how to get it out... and one time the party (which was like lvl 3) took on a massive dragon that we were supposed to run away from... we had like 1-5 HP left each and I got REALLY REALLY REALLY lucky with an artifact that cast completely random spells... called down lvl 20 lightning from the sky... took the whole party down to 1hp each but we won! lol

@ derp: I played in one SW game too, did you use saga or revised core? I've heard a lot of mixed reviews of both but fwiw revised core worked great for us and was fun. when my character left he was so rich he had his own starship filled with expensive droids and was able to retire lol. (oh and for added lulz... he was a green rabbit named Bucky. bonus points to anyone who gets that reference! :P )

I can't remember which one it was based on, it was some sort of weird hybrid between a couple things though, actually.  The GM for that game really, really liked Deadlands, so he used some kind of combination between and one of the Star Wards games.  I want to say Revised Core, but that's basically a random guess.

So, Deadlands basic rules for play and character creation (modified a bit to account for things like the Force); Star Wars equipment and species list, and general setting.

None of my characters ever got that far in it though.  One I got tired of quickly, because he was a combat character but someone min-maxed better than I did and kinda rendered him redundant; one wasn't working out like I hoped he would.  The engineer was far and away my favorite to play, but that campaign didn't last that long.

In fact, now that I think about it I think I've only ever really had one campaign finish.

I've played D&D as well. versions 4 and 5. I haven't played since a bit before I left for college at the end of September, but I'm about to go to the first meeting of a new campaign tomorrow! Sorry, I'm not that great at remembering stories of the games...

There was one time though, in one of the 5e campaigns, where the group was exploring a haunted ship. We came across a room that was like a parlor or something, with a smoking pipe in it. I picked it up and began using it, because I felt like it (I was a barbarian with INT being my lowest stat... I wasn't smart.). As I smoked it, it gave me a robe and an armchair, so I just sat in the chair and stayed there as the rest of the party went on and got attacked by undead. I was there until they began to leave and set the place on fire. I just find it funny that the barbarian stayed behind smoking a pipe, wearing a robe, and sitting in an armchair essentially doing nothing while the rest of the party was fighting and running away.

I know there was a cleric, a warlock, and a ranger, but I can't remember who the last person was...

This did not personally happen to me, but my brother told me a story about a game he was DMing. 

The guy he was playing with was a level 20 paladin, and being level 20, you can tell he is gonna be hard to kill. He walked into a village, and i don't know what caused it, but he got into a fight with a villiger. A villiger would be easy to win against, you would expect low damage, not much health bla bla bla. But, double natural 20. Insta kill. The paladin was killed instantly by the farmer. No second chances. Dead. 

I'm trying to get a pathfinder game off the ground myself. Have a smallish party and am going the dynamic/randomly generated dungeon areas route. This will be my first campaign and also supports Ponyfinder characters. Our de facto fighter is a Pegasus samurai with an AC of 18 at first level. There's a half elf thief with the favored classes of rogue and cleric, a halfling wizard and a bard whose sheet I have to approve still.

• 1 month later...

I've played a lot of a lot of tabletop RPGs. The newest version of D&D (5th edition) is definitely my favorite D&D, w/o question. I used to run the game when I was in college, but have primarily been a player since then. Definitely had fun times from both sides of the screen.

Archived