WWU minus song = Worst Episode?

Hippo

Which episode of FiM is the worst?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which episode of FiM is the worst?

• Owls Well That Ends Well
    • Winter Wrap Up (without the song)
    • Undecided (can change answer later)

I'm just curious. All of us love Winter Wrap Up, both song and episode. But I'm wondering, what if the episode didn't have that song. Would we still be loving it as much as we do? I submit that we don't. And since it's been somewhat determined that Owl's Well That Ends Well is the least favorite episode amongst most peers, let's do that comparison. Please provide comments for information that cannot be given by poll results.

Winter Wrap Up wouldn't be near as memorable without the song. It would still be a pretty alright episode. Actually, it's a pretty good Twilight focused episode. It is a little lacking in immediately memorable lines, but Rarity's bits are hilarious, as are a few other scenes. It would definitely be mid-tier without the song, I think, but it would still be a good episode.

Certainly better than the admittedly bland Owl's Well that Ends Well. For the record however, I don't think that's the worst episode either. Instead, I'd probably go with Call of the Cutie for that.

I would still like the episode, just not quite as much. Indeed the song did make that episode memorable, but we have good episodes without songs in them (such as Sonic Rainboom for example). Owl's Well that Ends Well's problem for me was here we had a Spike-centric story and it completely missed the boat on any real character development or backstory about him, which was such a disappointment. Winter Wrap Up had the story of Twilight finding out how she can be special without having to rely on her magic and how she was better able to integrate herself into the town of Ponyville and its earth-pony culture. Granted though the ending did feel a little Mary Sueish with the "All Team Organizer" bit, which weakened things for me, but unlike Spike in that latter episode, I enjoyed watching Twilight.

hi hi

I think they layered a bunch of awesomeness into Winter Wrap Up, and the song is just one of the layers. I think everypony can relate to Twilight wanting to belong, I mean, who hasn't wanted to fit in somewhere, sometime? (A sociopath maybe?) When Twilight messes up at Sweet Apple Acres, tries to explain, but stops halfway and runs off I always get a tear in my eye. During the opening, Tara Strong totally nails the excitement factor and I get carried away for the ride just like that.

WWU wouldn't be as fun without the song but no where close to the worst. WWU is a great song but it doesn't do anything for the plot except reiterate what was already known in a bit more detail. And the rest of the episode was very solid with great humor and characterization.

WWU is a fantastic episode even without the song. It illustrates Twilight's insecurities better than any other episode.

But if you're mind is in the smae place mine is, yeah, I don't think it's top four material with or without the song. Suited for Success is more rounded, and my heart weeps for its probable failure to make the finals.

I'm with most others here. Winter Wrap Up still would've been fine without the song.

But if you're mind is in the smae place mine is, yeah, I don't think it's top four material with or without the song. Suited for Success is more rounded, and my heart weeps for its probable failure to make the finals.
You and me both. :(

I'm with most others here. Winter Wrap Up still would've been fine without the song.
You and me both. :D

spikeew.png

spikeew.png

If that's in response to me not explaining my answer better then...

I just feel that the two episodes as far as content can't even be compared, with or without the song. Owls Well that Ends Well was just a very weak episode in most aspects. (Not all of course.)

If it wasn't to that then... :D

mm, for me personally, I'd say that the song in winter wrap up sort of over shadowed the rest of the episode. (over shadowed right? I think that's the word I'm looking for...)

a few days after I watched it for the first time, I honestly couldn't tell you anything from the episode other than the song and the ending. I had to re-watch it and pay close attention so I wouldn't forget a second time XD I don't think I'd like it as much without the song though. it kinda seems like it's one of the slightly less interesting episodes.

and like I said before in the worst episode thread, owls well that ends well is one of my favourites ._. comes just above the okay episodes, but just below the really awesome episodes for me. I dunno, I just like that episode a lot. I think it's really underrated.

this must be why quills and sofas pony isn't getting enough love! it's because nobody likes the episode enough to re-watch it a lot D:

Winter wrap up comes before owls well that ends well if it has the song, but probably after it if it doesn't.

• 2 weeks later...

I would definitely like Winter Wrap-Up even without the song. Well, as long as we'd still have the exposition that the song covers, just in non-musical form. I really enjoyed finding out more about Equestria's relationship with its environment. The episode gave us a good glimpse of Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy's careers, and it was cool to see Rarity and Pinkie Pie taking time out from their usual jobs to participate in environmental management. This is an aspect of the setting that really appeals to me, so any chance to find out more about it is good for me.

I thought it also did a very good job of developing Twilight's character. Her desire to fit in and be helpful was heartwarming, and her reaction to Applejack yelling at her was very sad.

On the other hand, I did actually like Owl's Well That Ends Well quite a bit. I believe that it was good for Spike's characterisation - it solidified his relationship with Twilight, making his loyalty more obvious and showing that it's out of love, not some sort of convenience or obligation. It also did a good job of showcasing jealousy within friendships. Granted, Griffon the Brush-Off did a very similar thing, but it's a pretty important lesson.