Friendship is Magic Best Episode: Episode 5!

SteelEagle

Best fifth episode  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best fifth episode?

• Griffon the Brush-Off
    • Sisterhooves Social
    • Magic Duel
    • Flight to the Finish
    • Tanks for the Memories

Welcome to the Best Episode: 5th episode edition!

What is this?
Simple: A vote! Here, you will choose which episode of the bunch is the best. After a week, vote closes and voila, we have a winner! This will continue for all 26 episodes of each season- meaning we will have 12 votes with 5 choices, and 12 votes with 4. For ease of polling, Party of One and Best Night Ever when we get to the final poll will be slammed together against the two part season enders of other seasons,

Fourth Episode Winner: Luna Eclipsed

LunaEclipsed_zpsbgqehevv.png

Princess Luna: [booming voice] Citizens of Ponyville! We have graced your tiny village with our presence, so that you might behold the real Princess of the Night! A creature of nightmares no longer, but instead a pony who desires your love and admiration! Together we shall change this dreadful celebration into a bright and glorious feast!
[lightning, thunder]

This week's vote:

Griffon the Brush-off

Griffon_zps9udvvntj.png

VS

Sisterhooves Social

SisterhoovesSocial_zpszew2aagb.png

VS

Magic Duel

Trixie_about_to_use_magic_on_Rainbow_S3E

VS

Flight to the Finish

FlightFinish_zpsfmycs56d.png

VS

Tanks for the Memories

Tanks_zpsvyyq0zvc.png

Very hard decision.  But as I place my vote, let me speak on an obvious non-vote.  I did not like Magic Duel that much.  It has great character interaction, but is not a very good episode on it's own.  Though Trixie is a fun character overall to have go against Twilight, I don't exactly find her menacing that much fun, especially since the context here was much different than in Boast Busters, in which the hilarity was that Trixie was not that powerful at all.  Trixie doesn't become more entertaining as a character with more power, to me.  It has the conflict to make me enjoy it for what it's worth, but not enough for me to vote it above the others.

Griffon the Brush-off is one of my favorite episodes in season 1.  Gilda, RD, and Pinkie's interactions and reactions to social situations is completely believable and authentic.  Pinkie impressed me with her ability to control her discomfort, and attempt to make things better by having a good attitude, which cannot be overrated.  Rainbow Dash is very thrilled to have an old friend around, and it would not be easy for her to recognize or even deal with a Gilda who doesn't play nice, that is of course until she realizes how horrible Gilda was towards the end. Gilda is an awesome character that I want to see more of.  I didn't like Griffinstone much, however.

Flight to the Finish, though has a cute song, is mostly forgettable.

Tanks for the Memories was about change and loss, and how we control our emotions around change.  Unlike most episodes where fun stuff is being crammed into a 22 minute episode, This premise seemed to call for a 11 minute plot, and was stretched to a 22 minute story filled with needless gaps.  When it ended, I wasn't sure what this episode was really about.  I'm not quite certain the episode was about reacting to the death of a friend, because it almost made fun of how much Rainbow Dash was crying in the third act.  Some of the episode to me seems a little overdone.

I vote for Sisterhooves Social.  One cannot argue with how powerful Rarity was in this episode, as well as supporting characters, Applejack and Apple Bloom.  This episode did a good job challenging a character who doesn't have the initial motivation to deal with a little sister around, something that would be way more common, than the Apple family's happy-around-always attitude it.  I hope that all of you who didn't vote Sisterhooves Social, will remember the episode by looking at it and saying "What have I done!?"

1138749_1352013829496_full.jpg

A lot of these are really good episodes so it's a shame it's really not close at all for me. Sisterhooves stands above the rest by a mile. It is one of the most, beautiful and affecting episodes in the show ever and the episode that made Rarity best pony forever.

Looking briefly at the others, the only kind of meh offering is Tanks for the Memories. Griffon the Brush off gave me Gilda, a character I obviously love considering how long I've RPed her now. Magic Duel was also awesome. I didn't really like Boast Busters at all, but that episode sold me on Trixie as a character and made me appreciate her. Flight to the Finish meanwhile is a very heartfelt episode featuring one of my very favorite scenes from Rainbow Dash and some touching development from Scootaloo. It's a delight of an episode that I've only come to love more the more times I've seen it.

To be honest, I only ever found Sisterhooves Social to be okay/10. It wasn't a GREAT episode for me. By far now the worse for the choices (That one goes to Flight to the Finish for me). Second place for me would easily be Tanks For The Memories. The only Rainbow Dash episode that I can actually recall liking. My vote easily goes for Magic Dual. Tbh probably my fave episode of the entire series so far o3o

I picked Sisterhooves. I think it was the most well-written and funniest, but it is a good cast. Griffon the Brush-Off is solid and Tanks for the Memories had moments of greatness. The other two aren't bad, but neither really register.

Topic addition: Why do you think Season 2 has stood out as being so strong in comparison to the others through five episodes?

I picked Sisterhooves. I think it was the most well-written and funniest, but it is a good cast. Griffon the Brush-Off is solid and Tanks for the Memories had moments of greatness. The other two aren't bad, but neither really register.

Topic addition: Why do you think Season 2 has stood out as being so strong in comparison to the others through five episodes?

Season 2 just has a remarkably strong opening five. I don't imagine it's dominance in these polls is going to hold up much longer.

Archived