Roleplaying Is Magic: Pony Stats?

MidnightMask

So, before I came here, I started scouring the internet for Pony RP post season 5 (or very close to it), trying to find just about anything pony RP related.

The first thing I came across was the tabletop game, MLP: Roleplaying Is Magic. It's also where I first started dreaming up Midnight Mask. I really didn't want to create some kind of OP, mary sue sort of pony, but I also kind of wanted to make sure she was interesting enough to play in more than just slice of life if I chose to do that kind of thing.

Anyhow, thought it might be fun to play with this system and do our OCs stats, just to get an idea/benchmarks.

Name: Midnight Mask

Race: Earth Pony

Background: Was a shy blank flank, until one Nightmare Night she found her destiny. Unnerring talent for scaring other ponies. Lived alone, dreaming up more scares for that one holiday when she was brought out of her isolation by [insert other players ponies here].

Perspective: All courage is borne from fear, so it’s good to be scared sometimes. Scaring ponies in a way that is safe makes them better able to face the really scary things in their lives.

Direction: Build Equestria’s most terrifying haunted attraction. Scare the unscareable.

Element: Honesty- A brutal kind.

Fatal Flaw: Too Spooky- Is often spooky, scaring some ponies without even trying, a bad sense of timing often leaving them running or cowering. Even worse, sometime MM revels in this behavior, scaring people for fun past the point of it being fun for all parties.

Mind: 1

Body: 1

Heart: 2

Fortitude: 20

Willpower: 20

Valor: 2 (always starts equal to Heart)

Advancements: 60 xp to spend
Artifice 5: Simple (Masks)

Gifted 5 : Heart

Job Proficiency: Mask Maker 5

Signature Move 5: Standing Right Behind You!

Skill Training 5: Scary Stories

Special Purpose (Cutie Mark edge) 5: Midnight Mask (Being Spooky)

Greater Talented (30):  Spooky

Name: Witchweed Charm

Race: Earth Pony

Background: The only Earth Pony in an all unicorn family, she was deemed the bad seed, but like the tough, bitter weed she was named for, she’s determined to show them that there’s more to her than meets the eye.

Perspective: There is a magic in Earth ponies as much as any Pegasi or Unicorn, and those who doubt it do so at their own peril!

Direction: Brew a master potion the likes of which no one has ever seen before. Prove her thesis on Earth pony magic.

Element: Honesty- Her word is bond, her determination iron clad. This could change should she ever lose her all consuming desire to prove herself.

Fatal Flaw: Bitter- Witchweed Charm, due to her childhood, has something to prove, and assumes almost every pony looks down on her. As such, even small neutral comments can cause her to become defensive, and she probably takes a little too much joy in seeing others fail.

Mind: 3

Body: 1

Heart: 3

Fortitude: 25

Willpower: 45

Valor: 3 (always starts equal to Heart)

Advancements: 60 xp to spend

Artifice: 5/ Improved Artifice 10 (technically breaks the rules, but character concept needs it)

Job Proficiency 5: Gardener

Gifted 5/Improved Gifted 10  : Heart 3

Gifted 5/ Improved Gifted 10 : Mind 3

Special Purpose (Cutie Mark edge) 5: Bubbling Cauldron (Potion Making)

Spirited 5xp

I'm actually running a game with RPiM on another forum.

As i'm running it, i don't have a character sheet myself, as GM's don't generally "Play" with the others, but i'm sure I could whip something up without too much trouble.

Are you actually thinking of running one here?

If I did, I'd more likely organize a Skype, IRC, or Roll 20. Forum RP is a little slow for my tastes as is, but add in stats and rolls and it utterly freezes.

I just thought it might be a useful mental exercise to stat some ponies, see how it works, what modifications would be made to the system to make it fit the RP canon of these forums more, etc.

Didn't seem to run slower than a normal RP for me, but still, a normal RP for that particular site is slow to begin with.

BUT might as well put together a sheet for my OC just for fun. Gimme a bit to decide on my edges.

[EDIT]

HERE WE GO!

probably should have proofread the notes section before uploading. Had more typed out than would fit in the box, and apparently the last word didn't delete when I went for a re-write. Ignore the word "Ingredients".

S4_E_Character_Sheet.png

Name: Arcus / Arcus Revenir

Race: Pegasus Pony!

Background: Lost his way in life, then found his calling to become a guard. Has served Equestria and it's citizens ever since, and plans to do so for as long as he can. Has an unclear past...

Perspective: All sacrifices made for the better, are sacrifices that will affect others forever.

Direction: To give everypony a chance at a safe life.

Element: Generosity - Forever giving, forever willing.

Fatal Flaw: Too Giving? - Will give, and give, and give everything, until it hurts. Often attempts to make sacrifices... even the ones that shouldn't be made. Arcus will not hesitate to use his own Valor points to restore Willpower and Fortitude to allies.

Mind: 2

Body: 2

Heart: 3

Fortitude: 29

Willpower: 29

Valor: 3 [+1, Noble Soul] = 4

Advancements: Adult, 60 xp to spend.

60 / 60 Experience spent.

Dire Straits [5 xp] - Once per Episode, when you would be Sidelined by damage, you may choose instead to remain at 1 point of Fortitude and / or Willpower, thus avoiding being Sidelined.

Flight [5 xp] - You gain the ability to fly using your wings, as easily as you can walk. In addition, you may interact with clouds as if they were solid, including walking on them.

Gifted [5 xp] [Heart] - Choose one Attribute. Improve your score in that Attribute by 1.

Gifted [5 xp] [body] - Choose one Attribute. Improve your score in that Attribute by 1.

Gifted [5 xp] [Mind] - Choose one Attribute. Improve your score in that Attribute by 1.

Job Proficiency [5 xp] [Royal Guard] - Work with your GM to define a job or profession your character has experience doing. Whenever you make a check to which your character's proficiency with this job would meaningfully apply, you gain one Advantage on that check. No more than one job can apply to a check; if you have multiple jobs which may apply, you may choose which job to apply to the check.

Leadership [5 xp] - Once per Scene, as long as you are not Sidelined, you may spend a point of Valor to allow all of your Sidelined friends to recover from being Sidelined, and restore 2d6 Fortitude and Willpower to yourself and all of your friends.

Noble Soul [5 xp] - Start each episode with one extra point of Valor.

Share and Care [5 xp] - Once per Episode, you may spend any amount of your remaining Fortitude and / or Willpower to restore points of Fortitude and / or Willpower to one friend. The type of points restored must match the points spent; Fortitude restores Fortitude, and Willpower restores Willpower. You may Sideline yourself if you spend either type of your points down to zero.

True, True Friend [5 xp] - Once per Scene, when a friend would be dealt damage, you may choose to take the damage for them.

Improved Gifted [10 xp] [Heart] - Improve your score in one Attribute you have improved via Gifted by an additional 1, to a total of +2.

==========

... I have no idea why I did this, or if I did it right, but...

This looks fun! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I've played this at conventions using pre-created characters, but never created one.

Curious of your opinion on it. Was it fun? Did it capture the feel of the show? Would you play it again? etc.

It did. I participated in two version, one featuring foals involved in Nightmare Night and another was an exploration of an old castle. Both were really great with plot and level of difficulty and i found I could get into the game fairly once the rules were explained.

• 2 weeks later...

All of my OC's stats are listed below.

Alicron/Reasonable

The bonus cake also makes it x2.

----

In all honestly, I've never tried an RPG or even bothered getting to know anything about it. Though lately my mind has been changing-- it could be a really cool change of pace from regular RP :P

Archived