To Capture A Bat (Closed)

BeGoneThots

The night was calm, cool. The batpony flew overhead, using his senses to find his prize. The fruits he sought. And soon he descended upon a tent. This was the land of the Mustangs. Ponies that lived not the social lives of the city, but the pure and simple life of the open plains and woodlands. These ponies had drawn many to come and wonder. But tonight, another was drawn to them. The tent cover was ripped away. The ponies inside sent running and screaming as two stallions tried to fight off what this threat may be. But the swoop of the batpony and its threatening hiss sent them running as well. When the dawn came, the only thing taken was the fruit stores. Emptied. But it was not the only one. Several tents in the area had been picked of their fruit. No pony had been harmed. And nothing else was stolen. But with something stealing their food, the Mustangs began to try to plan to secure their livelihood against this beast. 

And so notice went out. Into the cities for ponies to come assist them. But it was dismissed by so many. A terror, a batpony stealing fruit from their tents at night. Of all things. The notices were posted all over towns and cities. Hoping for some pony to take notice. To come aid them. 

It was during these events the mustangs took shine to a musician that had come to their lands. He was a simple pony. Traveling with only his cart and belongings. He had little else. And provided them with delightful music. Thunderbuck had come to the Mustangs. 

Liviel looked around briefly as she walked into the town. The dog had seen the notices as she left the town she was in previously, and she could not turn down a call for help. The monk was wearing her gi and carrying her nagitana over her shoulder. There was some creature stealing fruit from tents? Well, perhaps she could intercede and solve this problem without violence. And perhaps after that she could teach the ponies around here how to fight.

She was also interested in these pony's lifestyles, living out in the wilderness away from the cities and towns. They were like her in the sense of living off the land, though they were also so different.

Words of a fiendish bat stealing fruit spread by way of papers requesting aid. A batpony could indeed show up on the more fringe lands of ponykind. Though, a bat poyn  stealing fruits was still a petty thief with a price on his head. Maybe a visit out to Mustangia would pay for itself.

As he entered the settlement, there was an air of anxiety as the residents milled about. They truly felt terrorized by the bat.

Making his way, looking for somepony to ask about the batpony to get looking. Instead he happed upon a sight stranger then a batpony: a diamond dog with equipment from the far east. He approached, wearing his standard pink shirt, cuirass, and hat with his rapier by his side.

He approached the dog, "You don't seem to fit in around here. Did you hear of the batpony too?" He kept his eyes on the nagitana just in case the dog was less than friendly

The residents around the small settlement were frightened. But seeing other ponies arriving they put on a friendly face and smiled. As the pony and diamond dog conversed, the sound of a cart entering the settlement could be heard. A few of the mustangs moved to greet the cart and a friendly chat began. The pony pulling the cart was a lithe unicorn stallion. He was calm, talking politely with the mustang stallions and mares. Their tone was jovial, lighthearted even. The group moved away from the cart, headed toward that looked like a camp fire with food being prepared. they sat to talk and eat happily 

The cart had posters and decorations from shows around Equestria. Old, recent, but all of them music related performances. The cart itself looked rough. Like it had been in bad weather for a long time. But it still held together. on one side was a price list for instrument repair. Seemed this was a traveling sales pony of some kind.

Liviel looked at the stallion that addressed her with a friendly smile, nodding to his question. He seemed like a capable fighter as well, if the blade was any indication.

"Yes, sir. I am here to help resolve this situation. I would prefer not to resort to violence, but I will if I have to." Liviel said, giving a small bow to the pony. "I am Liviel Mizu, an Anointed Follower of the Harmonious Path. It is a pleasure to meet you sir."

It was about then that she saw the cart and how the local ponies seemed to know the owner. "Perhaps we should speak with that gentlepony over there, he appears to be well known."

Dunder blinked at the bow. He was not used to the custom and his mind halted at it. When he realized he should maybe return it, he quickly threw his head down then back up, "Pleasure to meet you, Livel Mizu. My name is Dunder Blust. If you are here because of the bat problem too, we should work together. We'll be able to cover more ground that way."

When the stallion pulling the cart entered town, and the Mustangians were revived at the appearance of the unicorn.

"Maybe. Would he know much? It seems he just entered town." Dunder tapped his hoof to his chin, "I guess we can find out. Maybe he will want to investigate too?" He trotted forth down the road.

Over the crowding ponies, Dunder flew. "Hey! Are you here looking for the bat too?" He called out to the unicorn salespony.

The stallion looked up when Dunder flew over, casting his vibrant green eyes over to Livel for a moment as well. Then back to Dunder. He seemed rather startled but after a moment he managed a a soft voice. "I do not believe I am here for such things. I am a traveling musician and instrument repair pony. I tend the musical needs of ponies." Very precise use of words. The stallion had a measured speech and tone. He was either incredibly shy or hiding something....or both. 

Motioning to his cart he spoke, "I was planning to provide music for the evening meal here. I travel between the groups of Mustangs. The simpler life here suits me better than living in a city." The cart had the back door open. Inside was a small bedroll for sleeping that occupied a very small space. The rest of the cart was filled with instrument cases and instruments hanging on the walls. In the upper part of the cart, there was a section of boxes labeled for instrument repair. Likely his tools and parts. Though the cart looked full and incredibly heavy, he was a small unicorn stallion. He must have used magic to pull the cart. "You are welcome to stay for the performance." He said suddenly. Offering to let them hear him play. Though seeing as he lived with and akin to the mustangs, he was at the mercy of ponies that liked his music to keep himself fed. 

In the distance, the sun began to dip slowly. The smell of cooking fires filled the air as the stallion finally began to set up his place. His cart actually folded open. The side extended and opened up to reveal a small stage with a work bench for working on broken instruments. He was setting out various instruments, looking over sheet music. Preparing quietly as the mustangs prepared their evening meal. One even offered some to Dunder and Livel. 

"Well perhaps he knows who we should speak to." Liviel said before Dunder flew on ahead and spoke to the stallion. She wasn't far behind, and she tilted her head slightly at his tone and word choice. 

"You sound almost uncertain..." She said, watching him as he motioned to the cart. The dog listened to the words that followed, smiling as he offered to let them listen to his performance. 

"I can understand your sentiment. I have never owned much of my own, and my time since I left my home has been spent traveling from town to town." Liviel explained their similarities, assisting with the setup of the cart should the stallion accept her help. If not, she would simply remain nearby as she spoke. 

"Thank you, sir. I am most grateful for this food." Liviel said, giving a thankful smile and a bow to the stallion before she took him up on the offer of food. 

Archived