what IS RPing anyways?

Angie Cakes

so I think I know that RP stands for role playing ._. I have a vague idea as to how to role play. I searched around for a "how to" topic, but I guess how to role play is common knowledge... so um, do people take turns writing bits and pieces of a story? I don't really get it ._.

maybe I should google it? I dunno

I mostly just want to design characters and see them used, so maybe adoptables are a better option? I don't fully understand what that is either ._.

is there a better place to post this? I found an RP questions thing somewhere else ¬_¬

I will leave full description for someone from helpstaff, but I will say how I see it:

For me, Roleplaying is playing Your role, You design Your character and later play as it, He have feelings, personality like You want. Like, You want to make a jerk? Then You will need to play like a jerk. It is a story-telling with Your and other people characters, the thing You shouldn't do is taking a thing about other characters. The best thing to do, is always to designate Your own character cause You can fit with it very good :).

I know this will not probably help cause of my english, so this is why I will don't do big description and leave it to helpstaff :). I hope this was little helpful.

so I think I know that RP stands for role playing ._. I have a vague idea as to how to role play. I searched around for a "how to" topic, but I guess how to role play is common knowledge... so um, do people take turns writing bits and pieces of a story? I don't really get it ._.

maybe I should google it? I dunno

I mostly just want to design characters and see them used, so maybe adoptables are a better option? I don't fully understand what that is either ._.

is there a better place to post this? I found an RP questions thing somewhere else ¬_¬

Roleplaying is where you design an OC (original character) or as a cast character who isn't currently being played by someone (available list here), create an application for them, and play the character once approved. You can start a thread after that or join an open one. Basically yes, you take turns, playing off of the other characters and advancing a story (whatever the thread is about) involving you and them (Here is an in depth post explaining how to RP well that goes into detail).

There is two types of RP here, the forum RP, which is further divided into mane RP, crossover RP, and private RP, and the chat RP, which is done in a chatroom we have dedicated to it. I mention the latter because that is a good place for "newbies" to get thier hooves wet as it is basically free form and unstructured; you also do not have to create a character application to participate in chat RP. Many users "test run" their new characters in the chat RP before getting into the more structued forum RP.

The mane RP is the "strict" RP in the sense as it takes place in the Equestria of the show and follows the general themes and canon of the show (although it is a very expanded version of Equestria). He have a basic list of posting rules here. Crossover isn't restricted by canon, meaning that the crossovers are the perfect place for new ideas, test-bed locations, or 'universe' crossovers with other shows/comics/games/whatever you can imagine.

Feel free to ask any specific questions. :)

'Interactive storytelling' is what I like to call it. :P

Roleplaying is quite a common activity, especially amongst children. When you see young kids playing, they're often pretending that they're heros or villains, and they duke it out. That's LARPing, Live Action Roleplaying. To some extent, without really realizing it, all of us have, at one time or another, roleplayed.

I think one of the biggest challenges of online roleplaying is the writing. If you're not used to doing much writing, roleplaying can seem quite daunting, even overwhelming. What it really comes down to is applying yourself to your writing, and working to improve upon the things you struggle with. Firstly, I'd apply yourself to correct spelling and grammar (just as a general rule, I'm not pointing the hoof at you), as those are appreciated by your fellow RPers. And then, once you feel that you're strong in that respect, then focus on character interaction and dialogue. Description is one of the hardest things to master, and I struggle with it myself'; I tend to do only minor, necessary descriptions, and then focus on interaction/dialogue, because I'm better at those.

Wow, caught myself rambling there. I hope anything I said was helpful.

It depends on the context of the RP, I'd say. in chat, dialogue is really important, and to a lesser degree, speed. Descriptions need to be succint, so knowing that perfect word helps. In IRC, you're generally forced to start the subject with "character name" as the first word, such as "Rue says 'no way, dude!'" or "Rue ponders this for a moment, and shrugs"

I haven't done forum RP yet, but this seems to be much more tolerant of novel-style writing, which I'm barely qualified to offer advice on. In any case, the fundamentals are good to know. Given the paragraph form on forum RP, it would seem even more important to give it the quick edit for typos, readability and such, since the other person isn't right there to answer any questions if they're confused.

I think one of the biggest challenges of online roleplaying is the writing. If you're not used to doing much writing, roleplaying can seem quite daunting, even overwhelming.

ah, yes, I think this is the main reason why I never got into roleplaying. english has always been the hardest class for me and I never played pretend when I was little. (I tried to play pretend because all my friends did it, I just couldn't get into it at all XD)

thanks to everybody who replied :3 after reading around a bit, I still don't think RP is for me :geek: I'm going to look around the interwebs and find out what adoptables are all about :P

ah, dessa posted while I was writing this

lets write some words in here so they see that I'm replying to them

ah, maybe chat RP would be more my thing

If you wish to STRENGTHEN your writing, the resources are here. There are writing discussion threads, and a lot of ponies willing to offer good advice, with a good spread of writing strengths. The first ones that come to mind are Tales, with her precise grammar, and Robikku Pegasus, who seems to be good at characterization.

Seriously though, if you get a character idea in mind, sometimes just putting your thoughts down opens up some possibilities you didn't realize. I refrained from RP here for months and months until the right pony popped into my head, and now I'm getting on with it.

As for "writing," realize that they are an infinite number of paths to good writing. Compare Emily Bronte, whose use of the language was magnificent, but told simple stories when broken down, to Stephen King, whose language is pretty pedestrian, but who can tell great, interesting stories.

I wont say anypony can be a great writer, but I think almost everypony has it in them to at least not suck, and maybe even put up some real quality from time to time.

So, if you're not RPing because you're not interested, cool! Like I said, i didn't for a long time, for that reason exactly. If you're not because you're afraid, that's cool, too, but if you ever feel up to it, we got your back.

Basically as it's been said, it's like writing an interactive story. The difference is that they're done in chunks at a time from different perspectives, so the trick and the fun is working everyone and everything in and blending them together. It can be a lot of fun, to immerse yourself and picture yourself in the situation!

ah, maybe chat RP would be more my thing

That would be a great start. I've been doing chat RP for most of my time online, and in that time I've had new friends over the years who werent strong in english improve quickly and become fantastic players.

I think Chat or similar text RPs are easier to play "lets Pretend" with since you cant see what the other person looks like except in your mind.

If it helps when you go into the chat, think of it like its you, just wearing a pony mask. then you can work up new pony personalities to try out from there.

and the best rule is; Enjoy yourself. :P

Most of my characters, from any game I'm playing, end up reflecting an ASPECT of me, whether I intend it or not. Starting with a part of you that you often dwell on isn't the worst seed for character generation. Just take care not to get so involved that you blur the line between character and self.

The other seed, the one that /unintentionally/ generates reflections of me, is to start with a cliche, then build around it. Say your pony works at a record store. He's an adult child, maybe a little pretentious, but still down to earth. Like the good sort of hipster. That's the cliche. Then mess it up a bit. He could be a major stiff, a massive, iron pumping strongman, or even female (which is counter to the record shop guy stereotype).

These have analogies with acting styles, method acting and character acting, specifically.

On the pc, and in chat especially, it's a bit of a blend between acting and writing, with a massive dose of improv.

'Interactive storytelling' is what I like to call it. :P

Roleplaying is quite a common activity, especially amongst children. When you see young kids playing, they're often pretending that they're heros or villains, and they duke it out. That's LARPing, Live Action Roleplaying. To some extent, without really realizing it, all of us have, at one time or another, roleplayed.

I think one of the biggest challenges of online roleplaying is the writing. If you're not used to doing much writing, roleplaying can seem quite daunting, even overwhelming. What it really comes down to is applying yourself to your writing, and working to improve upon the things you struggle with. Firstly, I'd apply yourself to correct spelling and grammar (just as a general rule, I'm not pointing the hoof at you), as those are appreciated by your fellow RPers. And then, once you feel that you're strong in that respect, then focus on character interaction and dialogue. Description is one of the hardest things to master, and I struggle with it myself'; I tend to do only minor, necessary descriptions, and then focus on interaction/dialogue, because I'm better at those.

Wow, caught myself rambling there. I hope anything I said was helpful.

"I hope anything I said was helpful."

Trust me, it MUST have been. I've been RPing for at least two years (mainly chat rp), and that gave me one hell of a look in to how to RP well. I think I will be a better RPer when my character's bio is accepted nnow that I know a bit more - thanks to you. That was also a fairly interesting way to put it, with the LARPing. Never thought of that. Well, I never thought of LARPing as RPing, more like "playing pretend" as another pony on this thread called it.

+1 Ponynet for you, sir!